Will GT7 be the last game?

Australia
Bathurst
Froudeybrand
So love it or hate it Gran Turismo seems to be lacking of late, and this newest announcement about the track editor essentially being an hipster phone / tablet app.

I see other games while they are lacking themselves are better setup games etc.

Driveclub, project cars, Forza and games like grid and need for speed.

Will people buy GT7 or wait til it's in the cheap bin at your local gaming retailer?

There's no way that GT7 would be the final Gran Turismo game, there's probably a lot more sequels than that in the far future. The only time that there will be a final Gran Turismo game is when PD shuts down and becomes null and void.

A better question would be, will GT continue to be supported like it has been if the sales shrink substantially after GT6? It's possible GT6 was an anomaly and the series will return to it's former sales glory with GT7, but if sales drop to the 3-4 million range they'll have to start shaving the budget somewhere.

Sony might not be EA but if PD flop again that might be enough for them to close them down.

Absolutely not. Gran Turismo is a big series and intellectual property for Sony/Polyphony Digital and they are big companies with big-ish finances. A lot of series go through great releases and poor releases, even big ones like Mario, Zelda, Call of Duty and especially Forza. GT6 was a last gen game released at the end of the PS3's life-cycle and was limited by it. The reason we've not heard much about GT7 is probably because PD are experimenting what they can do and are probably getting ready for some sort of prologue for the PS4 like what Gran Turismo Prologue was.

If they release versions with 4-5 years apart then it will be at some point. And if ps4 is final console then they at least need to think of pc support or whatever we play on in 5-10 years.

Definitely not. GT is Sony's big track racing game so I don't think they'll stop making it unless sales REALLY go down for GT7 & GT8

I think not, but mostly i hope that PD rethinks its way to consider their fans hopes/needs/requests/whatever, because it's about time; with GT7 they have a big chance, a really big one, to go further, to go in some kind of unexplored land; the numbers speak clearly: another sequel, with some few new tracks, some few new cars and the franchise risks to became a sort of minor league game; i think that this series deserve a lot more than that...

As long as Forza is still going, GT will not leave anytime soon.

A thought not particularly addressing the topic: I think it would be pretty cool if they went with Roman Numerals from GT7 on. Wouldn't Gran Turismo X (GTX) for the tenth one look awesome?

Nope, going abit overboard here.

Also:

So love it or hate it Gran Turismo seems to be lacking of late, and this newest announcement about the track editor essentially being an hipster phone / tablet app.

:odd:

Exactly how is it a "Hipster" App?

If they release versions with 4-5 years apart then it will be at some point. And if ps4 is final console then they at least need to think of pc support or whatever we play on in 5-10 years.

Where exactly do you get this idea that the PS4 is even remotely possibly the final console? :odd:

Also:

Where exactly do you get this idea that the PS4 is even remotely possibly the final console? :odd:
Because gaming is shifting to mobility platforms? I'd say that is why both Sony and Microsoft released such low tech/low risk machines. I don't think they were sure that they would sell. It is perfectly possible that these will be the last traditional consoles. I don't think it will be given the sales of the ps4 but game sales are down? and maybe that's the first sign that the market has shifted decisively.

Because gaming is shifting to mobility platforms? I'd say that is why both Sony and Microsoft released such low tech/low risk machines. I don't think they were sure that they would sell. It is perfectly possible that these will be the last traditional consoles. I don't think it will be given the sales of the ps4 but game sales are down? and maybe that's the first sign that the market has shifted decisively.

Well this is only the second full year the PS4 and Xbox One has been out so with the speed that Mobile game come out so in comparison to console games, sure it looks like they are winning. I think the real telling sign will be what the sells look like after four or more years. If traditional Gaming is indeed far behind even more so on sales in comparison to mobile games, then I would suspect that we indeed are likely looking at the end of traditional gaming.

The Japanese game-development industry (I can only think of Konami as an example) has been gradually shifting to mobile games. Also, GT6's sales have been worse than the previous iterations, but still quite fair. Unless smartphones suddenly become a fad (which is doubtful), I think GT7 could be the last.

Also:

Perhaps not but can you say how games are played in 5-10 years?
GT can survive but not on ps4.
If "ps5" is released and we get gt8 after that i guess next version is 5-10 years away. Can PD survive that?

This idea may not be as far fetched as you think. The RRP for the Playstation 4 starts at less than £200 in Japan; consoles are simply not selling because Japanese gamers are obsessed with mobile gaming. Of course, Gran Turismo has a large following in many other territories but can you imagine how demotivating it must feel when your home market has little interest in your product?

I'm sure Gran Turismo will live beyond the 7th instalment but I do think it is increasingly likely we could see a mobile game from Polyphony Digital in the near future.

If GT7 doesn't sell and Kaz ends up being forced out of PD like the whole Hideo Kojima/Konami caper, then it's possible GT7 will be the last GT game on consoles. With the Japanese gaming market drastically going to mobile phones for gaming, I wouldn't be surprised if GT ended up rebooted as a Japan-only mobile-exclusive franchise.

GT7 could be a complete bomb and Sony would still attempt to give the series another go. Probably not without directly intervening with its development, mind, but Sony has traditionally shown to be an extremely stubborn company as it pertains to sunk costs fallacies so there's no way the franchise would go anywhere no matter how poorly GT7 did.

If GT7 doesn't sell and Kaz ends up being forced out of PD like the whole Hideo Kojima/Konami caper, then it's possible GT7 will be the last GT game on consoles. With the Japanese gaming market drastically going to mobile phones for gaming, I wouldn't be surprised if GT ended up rebooted as a Japan-only mobile-exclusive franchise.
GT is a world game. What happens in the world market will determine the future of GT, not the Japanese market. Sales in Europe and North America provide the vast majority of revenue for GT, more than 12x that of Japan for GT5. I'm actually surprised they haven't released a mobile game yet and wouldn't be surprised at all if that was at least part of the reason for their relative silence on the next version of the game. Expect huge mobile/tablet tie-ins for GT7 and possibly a tablet/mobile version of the game released at the same time as the console version.

Back