Will GT7 be the last game?

It'll also never happen for games that are highly affected by latency. Fighting games are number one, they'll always have to be run locally. Racing games are probably right behind that. Latency in the position of other cars is bad enough, if you've got that and input delay as well a racing game probably becomes quite unpleasant to play.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 with the MP mod. Unpleasant to do convoys because of the intense lag. We've all been there, if not ETS then some other game.

Probably not it has a huge fanbase and still has a lot of loyal fans ;),
It will keep going until they take forever to make a new game and loose fanbase, then once it comes out people will want to try it knowing they spent a lot of time on it. That is what will happen

5 million sales for this franchise is not something to use as evidence the series will keep going when the previous 2 titles had nearly 12 million copies sold a piece; I believe GT6 sales are only just over half of GT2's.

GT7 can't afford to have such a poorly handled development & release that GT6 ended up with.

5 million sales is still a lot, they might trim down unnecessary fat like GT Academy and other ventures that have nothing to do with the game itself.

As TeamCZR says, this is on a system post PS4, which was dying on the market. GT6 was one of the highest selling PS3 titles in that period, so make of that what you will.

What I would gauge gamer interest in is the expose come Thursday, and then E3, before making anymore prognoses for Gran Turismo.

5 million sales for this franchise is not something to use as evidence the series will keep going when the previous 2 titles had nearly 12 million copies sold a piece; I believe GT6 sales are only just over half of GT2's.

GT7 can't afford to have such a poorly handled development & release that GT6 ended up with.
But again, we're talking about a game that managed to hit 5 million sales on a platform that was drawing its last breaths, during a time when the whole racing game industry is taking a downturn as far as sales. That's impressive, and it shows that out of any racing game, GT still has the largest installed/player base per game, bar none.

Last edited:
But again, we're talking about a game that manage to hit 5 million sales on a platform that was drawing its last breaths, during a time when the whole racing game industry is taking a downturn as far as sales. That's impressive, and it shows that out of any racing game, GT still has the largest installed/player base per game, bar none.
All you're doing is showing that GT6's release was mishandled/rushed by Sony/PD.

GT4 - 11.7 million, GT5 - 11.9 million, GT6 - 4.7 million. Any company is going to take a step back & wonder where the sales took such a bad turn. It does not matter what other games did in sales, GT6 did absolutely terrible in sales compared to the rest of the series. If that's the result of releasing GT6 on a dead console at a bad time, then that can not happen again. I'm sure the complaints from some that GT6 was a GT5.5 do not help, either.

If anything, sales aside & based on some of the complaints people have had, PD might want take a step back with GT7 and produce something like GT3 for the PS4. Personally, dropping the Standards should be a main priority.

All you're doing is showing that GT6's release was mishandled/rushed by Sony/PD.

GT4 - 11.7 million, GT5 - 11.9 million, GT6 - 4.7 million. Any company is going to take a step back & wonder where the sales took such a bad turn. It does not matter what other games did in sales, GT6 did absolutely terrible in sales compared to the rest of the series. If that's the result of releasing GT6 on a dead console at a bad time, then that can not happen again. I'm sure the complaints from some that GT6 was a GT5.5 do not help, either.

If anything, sales aside & based on some of the complaints people have had, PD might want take a step back with GT7 and produce something like GT3 for the PS4. Personally, dropping the Standards should be a main priority.
But I'm also showing that there's a still a solid player base, despite how "rushed/mishandled" it was (and it was). As long as that exists, I don't see the franchise ending.

But I'm also showing that there's a still a solid player base, despite how "rushed/mishandled" it was (and it was). As long as that exists, I don't see the franchise ending.

There will always be a player base of some size. That alone won't save a game: look at Driveclub.

GT6 selling substantially less than its predecessor can be blamed on any number of reasons, but it still happened, and that's alarming when looking at the numbers. What we don't know is if PD and Sony expected it. If they still hit an internal target, and the game was successful by their own standards, then yeah, the series will keep going.

If GT becomes a money-loser for Sony, I wouldn't bet against it being closed, regardless of history.

I've said it elsewhere, but I think moving to a service-style approach could be great for GT7. These aren't story-based games; there's less reason for full-on sequels here. Introduce big changes as expansions, watch the game grow, like MMO's. The problem with this approach, I imagine, is that it's not nearly as lucrative for the parent company. While I'd gladly pay for (quality, relevant) DLC for a long time if the base product was good, I recognize I'm the minority, and some people just want a new title. DLC attach rates can't replace that.

@SlipZtrEm, the DLC piecemeal approach is the sales model that RaceRoom adopted. And it has turned off a lot of people in the racing game world. Myself included, and I spent more than $200 on it!

For PC games, this can work, but anecdotal evidence suggests that RR would sell a LOT more if it was offered in a package deal, instead of in numerous bite sized hunks - including liveries! Even its fans, like me, feel like we're being microtransacted to death. If you want to kill Gran Turismo, I think that would do it more certainly than any disappointment bullet point harped on by the hardcore.

What exactly is solid about losing 6 million potential sales from the last game in contrast to the 5 million they sold?

Let's not forget that whilst 5 million is a still an above average number of sales, Gran Turismo also has an above average budget it has to recoup. GT5 had a budget of $60 million where as the average game is quoted between $10 & $20 million.

Last edited:
Actually, the budget for GT5 was $80 million. The $60 mill amount was from early 2009.

But GT6 wasn't that big a jump, the way GT5 was from 4, on an HD system with five years of work done on it. Some new tech, but not a whole gob of cars or many new tracks. Heck, much of the "new tracks" came to us courtesy of Sierra, and then the Course Maker. So I'm thinking the GT6 budget was more modest in Gran Turismo terms, and SONY made their money back.

According to Sony, it was supposed to be a big jump; note the bold.
Speaking with the PlayStation Blog, SCEE CEO Jim Ryan said Sony is confident that the PS3 "has a lot of potential" that developer Polyphony Digital can make use of.

"You had GT1 and GT2 on PS One; GT3 and GT4 on PS2; then there's GT5 on PS3 and a space next to it. The difference between Gran Turismo and GT2 is unbelievable, but they're both on the same platform," Ryan said. "The difference between GT3 and GT4 is huge. We're absolutely confident when GT6 comes, you'll see a big step change up from GT5 too. There's still a lot of potential on PS3 that a developer like Polyphony can really exploit.

Sony added that if it were to release Gran Turismo 6 on the PS4, it would be doing so with a day-one install base of zero, compared to the more than 70 million PS3 units already sold.

"And the other factor is that on PS3 we have an install base of 70 million units. On PS4 on launch day we'll have an install base of zero units," Ryan said. "There'll be plenty of games to help drive PS4--not least DriveClub in the racing genre from Evolution Studios, a studio with a fantastic pedigree."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/so...mo-6-is-debuting-on-ps3-not-ps4/1100-6408811/

Now, note the underline. According to the CEO, GT6 was released on the "platform that was drawing its last breaths" because well, 70 million>0. If that is their reasoning, sales should have been higher.

If that is their reasoning, sales should have been higher.

So what's your own theory there? 5 or 6 million folks dropped GT6 cause something/everything PD did was wrong? That's a lot of people.. and they can't really be found scattered across 'all' those other better racing games either.

So what's your own theory there? 5 or 6 million folks dropped GT6 cause something/everything PD did was wrong? That's a lot of people.. and they can't really be found scattered across 'all' those other better racing games either.
The game was mishandled by PD/Sony. There are a lot of complaints about the game on this forum on varying topics, hence why I said many refer to it as GT5.5. I also think, despite what the CEO said, it was a poor judgement to release it on the PS3. GT3 & GT5 are the 2 highest selling titles in the franchise, and I assume being the first releases on their respective consoles really helped build the sales. There were other games that would get the PS4 on its feet, but I have no doubt a GT title would have been huge for it.

Or because the game was such a marginal upgrade from GT5 for those 5 million that it wasn't worth spending an additional $60.

Bingo. There aren't 11 million die hard driving/racing fans. It's just not that big a genre. What GT has always sold well to is the casual fan, it quickly became that one driving game that they always buy.

What did GT6 offer over GT5 to these people? ~90 cars, 5 tracks and essentially (to them) the same game. They don't care about better suspension and tyre modelling, that doesn't interest them, they just want a fun game to tide them over till the next one but it has to be worthwhile an upgrade over the last. I imagine to many people on paper, GT6 just wasn't different enough.

I'm thinking some of you are heavily discounting the hunger among the gaming community for next gen content, particularly in the racing genre. Mine was so great, I spent more than $200 on RaceRoom stuff. And then went ahead and threw about $900 at an XB/Thrustmaster/Forza rig, which ended up being a debacle. A large number of gamers sold their PS3s to fund PS4, and you can't play Gran Turismo on PS4. Yet.

I'm thinking some of you are heavily discounting the hunger among the gaming community for next gen content, particularly in the racing genre. Mine was so great, I spent more than $200 on RaceRoom stuff. And then went ahead and threw about $900 at an XB/Thrustmaster/Forza rig, which ended up being a debacle. A large number of gamers sold their PS3s to fund PS4, and you can't play Gran Turismo on PS4. Yet.
Who are these people doing the heavy discounting?

And I think you may be in an extreme minority.

Most folks are not shelling out $1,000+ to play racing games.

Back