Will I like GT4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bailout
  • 76 comments
  • 5,484 views
GT3 is the best game for its time IMO (and did it with 170 cars); GT4 has a lot of stuff which makes it good. GT5 is a flop: the Special events barely add anything and were its selling point, the standard cars are unnecessary (400 cars is plenty), license tests are poor and aren't useful, and there are not enough events or tracks. B-Spec is horrid but now it can be a good way to lazily acquire credits. GT5 just has better graphics and physics because of improved technology.
 
For me the driving experience, the realism of the game has always been the most critical aspect in a driving game. I've owned GT4 since it was published but never actually played it that much. I always preferred Forza for it's much more realistic physics (argue if you want, this is my opinion based on my driving experience).

I was actually quite anxious when I waited GT5 to be published, I basically bought my PS3 just for this game. I was so afraid that the physics wouldn't have been changed from GT4, but thank god they were.

Now that I've played GT5 a lot, I don't know if I "could go back" to GT4 - I mean playing it "seriously". I'd probably just moan about the physics all the time, since they are so important to me. Maybe if I went on a holiday, I'd pack my PS2 and GT4 with me since it's good fun after all, but as a "driving experience", not so much compared to GT5, in my opinion.

SO to answer your question, YES you'll probably like the game, and if you don't mind the physics, I think you'll love it. :)

PS. God I wish we could still change the rims on all the cars!!
 
Can you use the newer Driving Force GT steering wheel with the ps2 and gt4?
 
I didn't read all this thread, but it seems there is a lot of love for GT4, and there should be. However, I think many are likely basing these opinions on memory...without recent comparison to GT5. I have a backwards compatible PS3, so I recently popped in the GT4 and started a new career, just to compare. IMO, after you've played GT5 for a while, GT4 is not nearly as much fun. The graphics pale in comparison, and the driving physics pale in comparison.

Granted, GT5 has some weaknesses, and GT4 has more overall A-Spec content, but I've found myself not really wanting to play GT4 and just going back to GT5.

I also loved GT3 andGT4, but that was before GT5. I can't imagine anyone, if they are objective, comparing the two games overall, and choosing to play GT4 over GT5. But, as I said, that's just my opinion.
 
One main drawback of GT4 is the physics. So if you are only on a DS3 and isn't treating it like a simulation-ish game, you will be fine.
 
GT4 consumed over 200 hours of my life. It was the "best" game in it's day.
GT5 does not consume me like 4 did, but I would say that is more due to other great games being out there, not so much that 4 is better.
 
I also loved GT3 andGT4, but that was before GT5. I can't imagine anyone, if they are objective, comparing the two games overall, and choosing to play GT4 over GT5.

I actually do. And, as I just wrote in the GT4 forum, I've gone completely back to GT4 now. GT5 is just too empty, soulless, repetitive, restrictive and boring for me.

I can live with the last-gen graphics and physics of GT4 because it's just so much fun...

-There are far more inspired tracks in GT4 (Amalfi, Citta di Aria, El Capitan, Hong Kong, Paris, Apricot Hill, ...)
-You can buy pretty much any car from the new car dealership
-No stupid nannying with XP and levels, just do what you feel like, whenever you feel like it
-Prize cars are actually desirable and usable, and not a complete insult (e.g. you get decent cars for your endurances, but also really nice ones for the easy races); plus you can win (and sell) them over and over and over.
-The whole UI/navigation structure is faster, loads faster and is more playful
-Lots of very decent rally/snow/dirt/special conditions events
-License tests that actually have a use
-There is just soooo much to do in GT4, I sometimes don't even know where to start, because it's all so much fun

If you can live with the pixelated low res graphics of the PS2, then go for it. Oh yeah... GT4 is one of the few PS2 games that support widescreen video output.

👍
 
I literally wish I could find my GT4. I have my ps2 chillin but no sign of GT4 :(
 
GT4 is great & still gets used here and there.

A grip of mine with GT5 is that the licensing really doesn't have much of a point. You open up availability to race new races based on XP in GT5. Only a small amount of XP is attained in licensing.

In GT4, you needed licenses to race in certain events. No license, no entry. It gave merit to accomplishing licenses.

Also, in GT4, I'm reading comments about being able to race anything at anytime. This is not totally true. You had to complete an entire set of events before moving up to the next level set. This did not apply for country specific race events.

I thought the rally events in GT4 were more fun than GT5.

Overall, GT5 has superior driving dynamics + far superior graphics over GT4. GT3 was so far back that I barely remember it LOL.
 
GT3 consumed way too much of my time when it came out!

I was burnt out so I never got far in GT4. Maybe I'll go dust it off and see if my old PS2 will power up...

GT5 is fine, but it's problem that there was way too much time to build up expectations that it couldn't possibly meet. If they just went back to the older model for prize cars it would be much better. You used to actually want to win prize cars.
 
GT5 has better graphics, online, Monza, physics and newer cars. Also, for me, has a better selection of tracks and a reasonable number of offline races.

GT4 is a better game, with better AI (PD destroyed it in GT5 with 1.06), A-spec points (ie a reward based on how worse is the car you are driving if you manage to win a race!) or prefer 400+ races (or 700+, I don't remember....GT5 has 127), ; B-spec has a 3x time accelerator, and you can save between championship races.
Also you can drive a bunch of cars GT5 has not:
AUTO UNION V16 Type C Streamline
BENZ Patent Motor-wagen
DAIHATSU Midget
DAIMLER Motor carriage
FORD Model T Tourer
FPV F6 Typhoon
FPV GT
NIKE One
TOYOTA Motor Triathlon Race car
If you finished GT5, and don't find reasons to play it anymore, you'll be surprised by GT4. In positive.
 
GT4 was a much more complete and well-rounded game, virtually absent of the "WTF?!" moments that define GT5. If only I could combine somehow GT4 gameplay with GT5 graphics and physics...
 
ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Where's my PS2 memory card!! ARGH!!

It's been sitting on top of my chest of drawers for about 5 years untouched, I see it every day but as soon as I want to play a PS2 game it vanishes!
I've looked everywhere.
:ouch: :grumpy:

I had it all set up to play GT4 and everything.
 
I still play GT4 while rubber banding GT5 - GT4 has much more content.
 
Cars have a hard time steering in that game, they sound less real somewhat i guess but over all a much more explained and detailed game this new one is just confusing sometimes. I see it on craigslist all the time try searching for it there for around 10-20 dollars. More race events actually like driving missions. Allows you to win prize cars limitlessly so you can make tons of easy cash. I really like the differences in tires in that game and how much of a variety of them you can buy. Tons of fun.
 
Sorry to bring this thread up again.

I managed to find my PS2 memory card after an hour tidying my room up, I set my PS2 up, inserted the disk and sat back to enjoy a totally 'new' GT game.........

ARGH!! the disk cannot be read!! I cleaned polished, dusted but no joy it was a bad disk!!

I tried 3 other games and they loaded first time. GUTTED!!

Come back GT5 all is forgiven, its almost like it somehow corrupted its predecessor, "leave me for a lesser game will he? never! now back to grinding that Indy circuit with you"
 
GT4 is the best game in the series but it is not perfect -- my one gripe is that they really overdid the physics engine. There's no way a FF would push and engine bog *that much* at full throttle with such a slight steering angle, without TCS engaged. It is the biggest and worst nanny ever put in a GT game, and you can't change the physics model or do anything about it.

GT5 has better graphics than GT4 IFF you have it connected to an HDTV via HDMI. If you are like me and playing GT5 on a SDTV (s-video connection for me), I would argue that GT4 looks just as good if not better because it rolls in 60fps versus GT5 generating 30fps.

And whenever the PS2 stops selling so well, I think (hope?) that we will eventually get a PS3 update that includes the PS2 emulator software -- so we can play most PS2 games on our PS3s. There's no reason we don't have that already, except the huge PS2 installed base can still be milked a while longer. Money, essentially.
 
Back