Windows 10 boosts FPS by up to 30 frames on AMD cardsPC 

Switzerland
Derby
CQR Myles
A comparison shows the performance of the 2 OSs using a 280x AMD card

10 uses a more effective AMD driver than 8.1 it seems. This has nothing to do with DX12 though, PCARS is not coded to use it.

i5-3570k@4ghz
AMD 280X@1150/1200
8GB @1600 (don't have timings on hand)

Game settings:
Performance:
1080P
Textures: High
Tx firtering: Anis. 16x
V-Sync: No
A-A: Off
FXAA: Off
SMAA: Off
Reflections: Low
Environment Map: Low
Car Detail: Medium
Track Detail: High
Shadow Detail: Low
Motion Blur: Low
Render Ahead: 1
Detailed grass: Medium
Particle Level: Medium
Particle Density: Medium
Streched Headlight Reflections: No

Visual FX:
PP On
Lens Flare Off
Sun Flare Minimal
Bloom On
Heat Haze Off
GSI: Off
Drops: No
Vignette: No
Rays: Yes

Last edited:
30 frames?? Wow! I suppose 30 frames more is max? What is the average boost? I might upgrade my Windows7 then. (I can't watch the video, sorry if those infos are in there)

30 frames?? Wow! I suppose 30 frames more is max? What is the average boost? I might upgrade my Windows7 then. (I can't watch the video, sorry if those infos are in there)
Sw843b1.png

This was another test, again this is on AMD cards: Driver version used: 15.200.1018.1 (1st April 2015)

Sweet. I wonder what else will be better in 10 :cool:

Jerome

30 extra FPS!?!? That could be the difference between a 30 FPS and 60 FPS gaming experience!
Unlikely as that would be a 100% increase. The OP says up to 30 frames and the sample screen shot is showing a ~25-30% increase so if you were only getting 30fps you might end up with 35-40fps

Unlikely as that would be a 100% increase. The OP says up to 30 frames and the sample screen shot is showing a ~25-30% increase so if you were only getting 30fps you might end up with 35-40fps
Either way, a boost is a boost.

It would scale depending on how good your card is, an R9 290 would see a greater boost as the software is able to utilise more of the GPU's hardware

So if that be the case then if you had a AMD card that was not giving you a good frame rate then the boost would be less than the 25% or so I mentioned before, meaning that it would quite likely not be a noticeable increase.

I had a prompt to install a new nvidia driver, turned out to be for The Witcher :yuck:
As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think PCARS has enough of a following to actually make NVIDIA release a Game Ready Driver for it :indiff: Still, it runs well enough, imho. Unless you crank up the DS anti aliasing. That's crippling the game's FPS.

Free because it might turn into a subscription model. Beware.

Nope, free for 1 year then given the option for buying it

Your license gets locked to a single device:

As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/

Back