Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
I guess you have to live with one or the other. Either having to hit shutdown twice or an extra long startup procedure. At this point I'm about ready to choose the long startup because having to log back in and do shutdown again is really getting on my nerves.
With a modern computer with an SSD, the load in times are not that slow.
"Fast Start Up" from what I understand is in a nutshell
Logging you out, then putting the computer into the Hybrid Shutdown
This way the key files are kept and you can log in.
My old laptop would sometimes take 20 minutes or more to startup after a windows update
A 20 minute start up sounds like a mechanical HDD and one that might be on its way out or has major fragmentation.
Going to device manager and look under disks and type the model number into google
or
Start a Windows Powershell and type or paste the following
It will tell you if it is a SSD or not

Code:
get-physicaldisk

Last edited:
Something apparently happened in one of the two last updates that has caused the "shut down" command from the windows button on the taskbar, to restart the computer. The second time I request "shut down" it does shut down properly. Researching it the only work around I could find was to go into settings and disable fast startup which then does exactly what disabling that command says, it takes forever for the computer to start up. But it does shut down the first time you ask it to. So it's your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It could have been this last 21H1 update but I'm not sure.
I had something similar with one of the earlier versions of W10, I think it was 1803. Whenever I choose "sleep" it would go into "hibernation". Very annoying, and the only workaround is to disable fast startup as you said. Ended up downgrading back to 1709 and updated straight to 1809 later on.

Currently still on 1909, since last time I tried to update to the latest version it got stuck after 12 hours of installation. Even disabling Win Update in Services, it still occasionally turns itself back on. Usually I can tell because HDD usage would go up to 100%, and Task Manager would show WaasMedic is the culprit. Kill that program, and disable WU in Services again. Small inconvenience but at least I've got a stable platform. Everything works fine, no security issues either as long as I keep my AV program updated.

Another thing that has been annoying me is once a day, typically at night, I'll get a message saying my outlook settings are out of date. When I answer it it brings up my sign in box for email but says at the top "because you are accessing sensitive info you need to verify your password" or something to that effect. It does the same thing if I try to watch a video from my external hard drive.

This message will come around for a few weeks then it will disappear. Stay gone for a few weeks then reappear again out of nowhere.

What causes this?

Windows 11 preview build 22000.100 is now in the Beta channel, meaning it's more stable than the Dev channel which it was previously available on

UPDATE 7/29: We are very excited to announce we are releasing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.100 to Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel! We highly recommend Insiders in the Beta Channel check out this blog post from June 28th that highlights all the new things in Windows 11 to check out and give us feedback on as you use it! As always, be sure to check out the list of known issues in the blog post below on anything that could impact your experience on your PC. We have also added a few new known issues discovered from Insiders in the Dev Channel since the release last week.

NOTE: Insiders in the Beta Channel will not have Chat from Microsoft Teams. We will be looking to enable this for the Beta Channel in the coming weeks.

If you are in the Dev Channel, now would be the right time to consider switching to the Beta Channel if you want to stay on more stabilized builds of Windows 11. For those of you new to the Windows Insider Program and flighting of OS updates – check out this article for how flighting works. (We use the term “flighting” for the activity of releasing new OS updates to Insiders.)

Once I have some time, I think I'm going to give it a try on my laptop

Back