Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Canada
Frozen Wasteland
GTP_Cosworth
Reports are emerging that the next version of Windows may be previewed as soon as Sept. 30

Rather than being a sweeping overhaul in the vein of Windows 8, Windows Threshold actually appears poised to dial back the gargantuan changes found in that operating system. Microsoft has already announced that the Start menu is coming back to the OS, joined by the ability to run Metro apps in discrete desktop windows.

Full article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2466...ndows-threshold-in-september-reports-say.html

A video supposedly showing Windows 9's start menu in action has been leaked by a German tech site on Sept 15th.

Last edited:
The start menu that may/is coming back to windows 8 will be metrofied
windows-9-start-menu-metro-desktop-apps.jpg

I cant see a why microsoft will admit the concept of "apps" does not suit a desktop/laptop operating environment.

I remember when installing Windows98 and ME you got the following options.
Full, laptop, minimal and custom.

setup10.gif

They can do the same for Win9.

Desktop/Laptop(without touch)-this will give a traditional windows look and feel with no metro crap
Desktop/Laptop(with touch)- this will give the windows 8 feel but refined
Tablet- this will give a feel very much like that of windows based tablets
Custom.-???

I heard, from a previous Microsoft developer, Win9 may be free to Win XP, Vista and 7 users, but not Win 8. I have not heard it confirmed though.

I highly doubt that they will make it free for XP and Vista users.

Windows 7 and 8 users are more likely to get the upgrade for free.
If what I was just reading is correct, you're incorrect. Looks like a marketing strategy as acceptance of Windows 8 is so low. I'm going to have to keep up with this one and install it on my wife's Vista-powered laptop if it does prove to be true.

Thanks for the heads up, @L8erBaby.

I really hope 8.1 owners get a free upgrade to 9 seeing as its been around 5 mins!

Microsoft have really been dropping clangers recently, they just pulled Windows 8.1 August Update because it bricked many people's systems. Reports have suggested Windows 8's adoption rate has been worse than Vista. Why they had to go and make everyone learn and entirely new way of doing things is beyond me, especially considering the productivity crowd because every second counts.

Having said this I do like the Metro interface, but that is because I am using it on a tablet....and that's the thing. In trying to make a unified portable and desktop OS they made one which wasn't particularly good at either. The desktop view needs to go on tablets and the metro interface needs to go on desktops. They need to do an 'iOS and OSX'.

I highly doubt that they will make it free for XP and Vista users.

Windows 7 and 8 users are more likely to get the upgrade for free.
A free upgrade to Windows 9 for Windows 7 and 8 users? Windows 8 must have been 🤬 then. Everyone hates Windows 8 and computer manufacturers like Dell are still making computers with Windows 7 because people hate Windows 8 so much. Many people would agree that it was primarily intended for tablets and not computers and having to use the metro U.I without a touchscreen is awkward as hell and touch screen laptops are insanely overpriced for what they are. (Laptops in general are overpriced if you want the good stuff)

The first I ever used that putrid operating system was at Best Buy and that will be the last time I use it.

TB
If what I was just reading is correct, you're incorrect
How? I just reread the article again and it says they "might make it free for the people using the 5 year old operating system" (Windows 7), and since so many people hate Windows 8, it would make at least some sense to make it free for Windows 8 users.

How? I just reread the article again and it says they "might make it free for the people using the 5 year old operating system" (Windows 7), and since so many people hate Windows 8, it would make at least some sense to make it free for Windows 8 users.

Source?

I don't care if it's free. I care if it's not Windows 8. If it's not Window's 8, then there's already a 50/50 chance I'll be using it. I don't understand the logic behind dropping what works and replacing it with something horribly unnecessary, and I'll never put my money toward that.

That's in stark contrast to what this says. Guess we'll stay tuned for more info!

TB
That's in stark contrast to what this says. Guess we'll stay tuned for more info!

Microsoft made a big error of judgement by thinking they could redefine the OS in the way they did. On the back of that confidence they diversified into multi-platform versions that replicated differing degrees of horror across the spectrum. The supporting devices that were going to seal the deal for us... well, a few good ones but they all suffered from actually having the most horrible OS ever designed since, erm, well, ever designed.

From a professional point of view I consider it to have had a disastrous entry to industry. An unciteable source tells me the dev is out of Windows 7 with Windows 8 lessons-learned all coming from background threading, NOT the GUI. They suggested to me that the interface is going to be lovely because I like Windows 7. We'll wait and see but I'm inclined to think (and to be honest would like to think) that this could be true.

And Monkey Boy has finally left the company. A very talented man in some ways but I don't think his vision over the last few years has left MS in a good place.

I cant see a why microsoft will admit the concept of "apps" does not suit a desktop/laptop operating environment.

They don't suit desktop/laptop environments but the average consumer won't be using those in a couple years anyhow. Surface type tablets handle everything standard users need.

I don't care if it's free. I care if it's not Windows 8. If it's not Window's 8, then there's already a 50/50 chance I'll be using it. I don't understand the logic behind dropping what works and replacing it with something horribly unnecessary, and I'll never put my money toward that.

It was more making a change from a 30 year old design language built around a keyboard and mouse and taking a step towards a slate driven by a touch interface. People got mad because change is scary, or something.

The whole issue with Metro and design languages built around touch based devices reminds me of people stating that they had to have a physical keyboard on their phone or it was useless. Same went for digital versus film photography, etc. Initial change over periods seem rough but ultimately work out for the better. At least in my experience.

I heard, from a previous Microsoft developer, Win9 may be free to Win XP, Vista and 7 users, but not Win 8. I have not heard it confirmed though.

Why only XP/Vista/7 users? Seems odd. Though someone said it also may be just for users of 7 or 8. Whatever. Regardless, I like the sound of 9 undoing (Or something) the disliked changes made to 8. But I haven't used 8, I'm still on, and happy with 7. I just hope 9 is better than what 8 seems to be. I'm sticking with 7 for now. I'll wait and see what Windows 9 is like. I do like the look of that Metro start menu. I'll wait for the actual Windows 9 to release, and may upgrade from 7 if it's well received.

Last edited:
Why only XP/Vista/7 users? Seems odd. Though someone said it also may be just for users of 7 or 8.

Because there are many XP users in industry still due to the requirements of some common software. MS still have to provide regular patches for XP. I heard that W9 will have a full XP emulation mode, it makes more sense for that to come out of a 7-style platform than 8-style. It also guarantees big sales in industry for that reason.

It was more making a change from a 30 year old design language built around a keyboard and mouse and taking a step towards a slate driven by a touch interface. People got mad because change is scary, or something.
If they wanted me to change over, at least let me decide how. I don't really plan on getting a touch screen, and with how I use the computer I don't see it being terribly helpful. Win 8 should have included a lot of Win 7 familiarity with the option to switch over piece by piece to 8. If I found something that 8 does better than 7, I'd gladly switch. Instead all I get out of 8 is tedious relearning process with no benefits to speak of so far. It wasn't a step, Microsoft was convinced that they had arrived there in a single leap.

The whole issue with Metro and design languages built around touch based devices reminds me of people stating that they had to have a physical keyboard on their phone or it was useless. Same went for digital versus film photography, etc. Initial change over periods seem rough but ultimately work out for the better. At least in my experience.
I think they end up rough at times because people want to be the first to introduce something and in the process they sacrifice quality. If something is going to change, and there's no option to go back, the new feature had better have next to zero drawbacks. I was unfamiliar with Linux and working from a command window when I first started to use it, but even back then I could see a point to it. Admittedly, there are some benefits to a touchscreen. Building the whole OS around it (and then doing a bad job on top of that)? That doesn't make sense to me.

That and the ultimatums about how people will never buy touch screen devices. I thought that way about Windows 8 and touch devices until I used a Lenovo Thinkpad with a touch screen that rotates and folds down. Combined with an SSD it really is how mobile computing should be in 2014. It's surprisingly intuitive, even for my mom who isn't particularly tech savvy.

You can use the touch screen to select a text field, type on the keyboard in the desktop side, and then switch back to the Metro interface when you're wanting to browse a bit and lay on the couch. I really like using it, and I can see the average user having similar devices in the next few years.

Well so far MS has managed to keep up with their expected good bad cycle.

windows-bad-good-cycle.jpg
And here I am with a Vista laptop and a 8.1 gaming rig with no complaints* whatsoever.

*short of no start button, but that was remedied by installing pokki.

TB
And here I am with a Vista laptop and a 8.1 gaming rig with no complaints* whatsoever.

Arguably a gaming rig doesn't have the same productivity requirements though, various industrial trials that I was involved with abandoned Win8 very quickly simply because of the cost of training 50k+ users to use a new operating system.

I guess Windows 9 will see the death of XP for sure, at least that's something, it's getting expensive.

TB

Well I also hated XP due to the small annoyances in it, but many liked it.

One of the things I hated was one error during a file copy, ended the copy.

Well I also hated XP due to the small annoyances in it, but many liked it.

One of the things I hated was one error during a file copy, ended the copy.

It depends on how you do the copy, if it's a drag-and-drop they were pretty irritating. The best thing was to do it by command and use switches.

No word from Microsoft on when XP will be retired...although I can't see them fixing this now, this month's patch just had a few time-zone updates and the usual raft of obscure tweaks, iirc.

Even when vista came out which had the new copy system they didn't bother.

Other things about XP annoying me.

Like must use IE to perform updates.
The fact that it was so easy to bluescreen as well.

Windows 8.1 with a touchscreen device is absolutely amazing.

I pointed my brother towards getting a Dell Inspiron i3147, and while he was skeptical about W8.1 (he isn't too big on tech) I told him everything would be fine. Like @Azuremen said, people aren't really ready to change, especially when a company basically asks them to. I don't have W8.1 on any of my devices, but I know that 8.1 is actually pretty good from general use on a few laptops not belonging to me. Now, I haven't upgraded to 8.1 but if they release W9 and address the small things causing conflict in fluidity on desktop, I would definitely jump ship.

For those who haven't used W8.1 on a mobile device, I recommend you to so that you can actually understand the thoughts that Microsoft had with the operating system. There is absolutely nothing seriously wrong with the OS, it's easily one of the best mobile operating systems out there, offering full fledged Windows on something that is only 7" - 10", but I guess people don't want to change over and are afraid of what's new, and what's actually quite better than iOS and Android combined.... now if only they could get those popular apps somehow...

I'm considering this now:

Nexus 7

71ozc3665tL._SL1500_.jpg

Dell Venue Pro 8

61hgNs7STmL._SL1500_.jpg

Both are banger devices. One has faster ram and a better screen. (Nexus 7)

Last edited:
For those who haven't used W8.1 on a mobile device, I recommend you to so that you can actually understand the thoughts that Microsoft had with the operating system.
The thing is, my desktops aren't mobile devices. My laptops aren't either, as I use them. I don't want a mobile device OS. No matter how much Win 8 may be great for mobile devices, that means nothing on other systems that it was still released for.

Building the whole OS around it (and then doing a bad job on top of that)? That doesn't make sense to me.

It makes sense when the majority of the market will be on a tablet type device by the end of the decade. This includes "home" computer setups that will just be a panel and maybe a keyboard. Amusingly, a Comp Sci professor of mine quite likes Windows 8.1 and his standard work environment is about as desktop centric as you can imagine.

MS is playing for the future and took the risk of upsetting some people in the process.

The thing is, my desktops aren't mobile devices. My laptops aren't either, as I use them. I don't want a mobile device OS. No matter how much Win 8 may be great for mobile devices, that means nothing on other systems that it was still released for.

What if Microsoft fixed the problems in the newest versions and added back most of the functionalist feel of W7? Would you even have a problem, because there would basically be the best of both worlds.. which is what is needed to grow mobile device sales; the push for desktop and mobile like applications with a dynamic OS to mend it together. I don't see anything wrong with that, and honestly neither should you.

Pretty much this. It isn't simply luddism that has people hating 8... It's the fact that you have tend of millions of current customers using services that aren't touchscreen. While I do have a touchscreen desktop device at home... running Android... my laptop is not a touchscreen device... and my desktop PC is not a touchscreen device. Touchscreen PCs are either very expensive or force you to settle for lower specs simply to squeeze it in. Building an OS optimized for desktops is a bit too forward looking... You have to give the market at least three or four years to mature first.

TB

Ooh. I tried another start addon and wasn't fussed enough to buy the thing, but as that's free...

I quite like using 8.1 for my gaming rig, it's on the log on screen by the time my monitor (TV currently) warms up and that's through a mechanical drive!

Back