wing mirrors

• Thread starter toska1
  • 83 comments
You've laid it bare, I must declare... now back on-topic, we must repair... :lol:

In America they are called side mirrors...whether they are on the door, pillar, or front fender/hood(bonnet in the UK, right?). Wings are those things that cause downforce, usually placed at the rear end of the car above its trunk (boot in the uk, right?). Bumpers... (5 mile per hour bumpers in america) are the things that in as famine stated female drivers love to use because they cant park. yeah...any clarification needed or (for americans) corrections?

im pretty sure that we say front and rear spoilers as well (the pieces that cause downforce)

oh yeah..... photi can be pronounced as "fish"

PH as in photograph (eff "f" sound)
O as in women (wimen - short "i")
TI as in condition (sh sound)

Famine
And what do you call the things women use to park - those bits of the car they nudge into the cars in front of and behind them?

Eagerly awaiting a response from Vixen and Suzq044 on this one.

This is turning out to be a very humorous thread.
:)
AMG_SLK

amp88
:lol:

This reminds me of a quote on Bash about capitalisation. It may be offensive to young'uns, but with what goes these days I'm not sure

http://bash.org/?367896
I'm sorry but I'm way too innocent to get that (yeah right :lol:), can you explain it in detail please.
:lol:

well the thing about all these terms is the england and the americans all have different ideas on what is called what. Like i call the bumpers spoilers but americans call them fenders. Fenders to me are the arches above the wheel.

well the thing about all these terms is the english and the americans all have different ideas on what is called what. Like i call the bumpers, spoilers but americans call them fenders. Fenders to me are the arches above the wheel.

I think someone should make a dictionary on it. God help any english man who goes over to america to join the car culture and the other way round :)

what exactly does bend in a fender-bender? And in UK do you "wing the winger"... ah, not making much sense... sorry. Too much Guinness.

Ok, this is how I understand it.

Bumpers are the plastic things that are on the front and rear of the car, and absorb the small bumps when parking. I think these are called bumpers in both the US and the UK.

What the yanks call fenders, are what the Brits call guards. The metal panels above each wheel. I think the yanks also call these a quater-panels as well, but I'm not 100% on this.

Wing mirrors are the mirrors mounted in the side of the car, and can be called side mirrors as well. As far as I'm aware they have the same name whether they are mounted on the A-pillar (that's the one that holds the windscreen in place) or whether they're mounted above the front wheel.

Wings and spoilers the same thing. Mounted at the front and rear of the car (usually, but can be found other places) and they produce downforce for handling.

And that's my 2c worth. :)

ferrari_chris

Bumpers are the plastic things that are on the front and rear of the car, and absorb the small bumps when parking. I think these are called bumpers in both the US and the UK.

What the yanks call fenders, are what the Brits call guards. The metal panels above each wheel.

Nope. Wings.

ferrari_chris
I think the yanks also call these a quater-panels as well, but I'm not 100% on this.

Wing mirrors are the mirrors mounted in the side of the car, and can be called side mirrors as well. As far as I'm aware they have the same name whether they are mounted on the A-pillar (that's the one that holds the windscreen in place) or whether they're mounted above the front wheel.

Nope. It's true to say that they're called wing-mirrors regardless of where they are, but this is an example of common parlance being technically incorrect (watch my signature for fascinating facts, almost all of which are similar - common knowledge which IS common, but not knowledge). A wing-mirror should ONLY be called a wing-mirror if it is on the wing. If it's on the door - that is when the door opens, the mirror moves with it - then it SHOULD be called a door mirror.

ferrari_chris
Wings and spoilers the same thing. Mounted at the front and rear of the car (usually, but can be found other places) and they produce downforce for handling.

Again, yes and no. They should ONLY be called wings if they're designed to produce lift - positive or negative. Spoilers "spoil" the smooth air flow, to reduce lateral movement rather than any downforce effect.

ferrari_chris
And that's my 2c worth. :)

I'll send you my bill later... :D

ferrari_chris

What the yanks call fenders, are what the Brits call guards. . :)

No, no, no, look you really must pay attention.

Fenders are something you hang over the side of a ship to protect it from bumps, often a tired tyre will do the trick.

Guards are those tall blokes with strange hats outside Buckingham Palace.

Wings are the panels over the wheels either front or rear on a motor car, so called because in the 1930's they looked like bloody wings. You know, either side of the bonnet and the boot. You sometimes find wing mirrors on the top of 'em. (making sense now?).

A hood is a covering for the face and neck, usually worn in bed, while chained to the... Sorry wrong thread.

A trunk is a bloody great big packing case.

Come on, keep up. I don't know, you colonials. Leave home for 5 minutes and you can't do a blooming thing.... :dunce:

WooooW its so interesting to see how people can jump miles of topic. I thought the topic was originally about the reflections in the mclaren GTR's mirrors......hmmmm. But i see that we have many language Arts teachers who signed up on GTplanet :) .

Anywayz...(back to topic) I really havent noticed this on the mclaren. I wonder if there are any other cars that are like that.

FUTUREDRIFTER

FastEddie12
Wings are the panels over the wheels either front or rear on a motor car, so called because in the 1930's they looked like bloody wings. You know, either side of the bonnet and the boot. You sometimes find wing mirrors on the top of 'em. (making sense now?).

No no no, wings are designed to produce lift, wheel covers arn't designed to produce lift.

Gaurd's gaurd the wheels from objects or gaurd objects from the wheels.

wheelow
Sorry, that's how the "behind" view is referred to in flight sims. My other hobby.

Yeah I play flight sims thats why I assumed behind view in my other post.

"He means behind view.

I think"

VIPERGTSR01
No no no, wings are designed to produce lift, wheel covers arn't designed to produce lift.
wing (wng)
n.
1. One of a pair of movable organs for flying, as the feather-covered modified forelimb of a bird or the skin-covered modified digits of the forelimb of a bat.
2. Any of usually four membranous organs for flying that extend from the thorax of an insect.
3. A winglike organ or structure used for flying, as the folds of skin of a flying squirrel or the enlarged pectoral fin of a flying fish.
4. Botany
a. A thin or membranous extension, such as of the fruit of the elm, maple, or ash or of the seed of the pine.
b. One of the lateral petals of the flower of a pea or of most plants in the pea family.
5. Informal An arm of a human.
6. An airfoil whose principal function is providing lift, especially either of two such airfoils symmetrically positioned on each side of the fuselage of an aircraft.
7. Something that resembles a wing in appearance, function, or position relative to a main body.
a. The act or manner of flying.
b. A means of flight or rapid movement: Fear lent wings to his feet.
a. Something, such as a weathervane, that is moved by or moves against the air.
b. The sail of a ship.
10. Chiefly British The fender of a motor vehicle.
11. A folding section, as of a double door or of a movable partition.
12. Either of the two side projections on the back of a wing chair.
a. A flat of theatrical scenery projecting onto the stage from the side.
b. wings The unseen backstage area on either side of the stage of a proscenium theater.
14. A structure attached to and connected internally with the side of a main building.
15. A section of a large building devoted to a specific purpose: the children's wing of the hospital.
16. A group affiliated with or subordinate to an older or larger organization.
a. Either of two groups with opposing views within a larger group; a faction.
b. A section of a party, legislature, or community holding distinct, especially dissenting, political views: the conservative wing.
a. Either the left or right flank of an army or a naval fleet.
b. An air force unit larger than a group but smaller than a division.
19. Sports
a. Either of the forward positions played near the sideline, especially in hockey.
b. A player who plays such a position.
20. wings An outspread pair of stylized bird's wings worn as insignia by qualified pilots or air crew members.

Check definition 10 - more than half of these definitions have nothing to do with lift http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wing

VIPERGTSR01
Obviously an expert on the english language - way to go :rolleyes:

Moloch_horridus
Obviously an expert on the english language - way to go :rolleyes:

Whats with the unnecessary attitude towards me, you have some sort of problem? No my english isn't perfect nor do I claim it to be.

Also why didn't you do a dictionary check for FastEddie12's comments on what Guards and Fenders are? I did my post in a joking way to match FastEddie12's post but you take it all serious. - way to go :rolleyes:

TigJackson
I call them fenders since airplanes have wings....anyway.....

This is partly why Kids Flunk English and Foreigners Can't Learn It

I do believe that most of that is from ghalager.... when he wasn't smashing mellons he had some funny things to say about english.

VIPERGTSR01

I got it :)

I think Molluch was commenting on your spelling.

Please don't shoot him. He's under stress trying to get his 100,000 :)

'S funny, since I found this site, I've spent more time talking about this game than actually playing it!

Uncle Harry
My Spitfire has wings, so does my Mustang.
They only have 1 rear view mirror and it is not mounted on the wing.
What am I ?
OFF-TOPIC:

Great choice of planes you've got. Some Spitfires actually had three mirrors: one in the normal place and two door mirrors or whatever they should be called (on a Typhoon they would definitely have been door mirrors).

To return to the topic, I have never realized that the mirrors reflect something. I always thought they were made just to look like mirrors. Maybe it's because I have driven 700+ races with the bumper view and one with the roof view.

Famine
...I'll send you my bill later... :D
I look forward to it. It'll be value for money, that's for sure. ;)

Ahhh, so I'm now learned (and that's lear-ned) in the ways of the fender. Well, how to refer to it next time I'm in Britain anyway. Makes more sense as to the naming of "wing" mirrors I guess. I thought it was 'cos they were on the outside of the car, kinda' like wings... (of the airplane variety). :dunce:

For the record, we call the wings guards down here in NZ, and I refer to the mirrors as wing mirrors, no matter where they're mounted. I think if I talk to anyone in NZ about wing mirrors or side mirrors, they'll know what I mean either way. We're very multi-cultural like that down here... :)

Way back somewhere in this topic someone sayed bout the wing(door) mirrors On a mclaren GTR. After reading the topic many times over I've come to the conclution that...umm...I'm going to contribute to the wing mirror one

Also on som cars in GT4 with the wing mirrors sticking out loads, I've noticed that they go though the walls

on that note I rest my case that this is the 3rd weirdest topic ever to be read

I bid you goodday

FastEddie12
I think Molluch was commenting on your spelling.

Please don't shoot him. He's under stress trying to get his 100,000 :)

Glad I dont get mad when someone makes spelling errors, I would have been banned along time ago.

ok... then what would you call this? a door mirror or a wing mirror or a roof mirror

wingmirror8lj.jpg

you want contradictions? read the sig...

Back