wing mirrors

• Thread starter toska1
  • 83 comments
[stir]

Engine covers... They're bonnets at the front and engine covers in the middle and at the back. "Hood" is the roof of a convertible.

[/stir]

so in a mid- or rear-engined car, the front end would be the boot? Or would the motor be in the boot?

The boot would be in the front of a mid- or rear-engined car. If it was a big boot, you could probably fit a trunk in it.

:lol: :lol:

Funniest thread I've read in years!

On topic, you can effectively get a full screen view of your wing / door mirror reflection in the replay view by pressing X to select bumper view, then, um, R1 (I think) to cycle through the views until you are staring at the roof view, then L1, I think, gives a rear view from the roof but showing the bootlid / engine cover of your car, and L2 and R2 will show a rear view from a side mirror. You will see the rear fender of the car and the road you have just travelled down (or tyre wall you are approaching if you are busy having an accident) if the car you are in has door mirrors, and you will see a portion of the windscreen if the car has wing mirrors.

Sorry if this is common knowledge. I haven't seen it mentioned before but haven't searched...

EDIT: Righty ho I did a little searching and did not come up with anything obvious about mirror views so my post may have useful, new, and interesting info for one or two people...

Famine
The boot would be in the front of a mid- or rear-engined car. If it was a big boot, you could probably fit a trunk in it.
according to my cousin who lived in New Guinea, in Pigeon English to put something in the boot is to "putem in arseofcar" :lol:

Generally the boot is at the arse end of a car, but on a Porsche 911, it's at the gob end. If you think normal English is hard to grasp, try English slang.

You could put the boot into a trunk then place the trunk into the boot.

Here is a car with real 'wings":

62_12_hzoom.jpg

But in this case at least, the mirrors are NOT on the wings:

62_5_hzoom.jpg

Damnit... must... get... Discovery... on... my... damn... cable... service! Haven't watched an episode of Monster Garage in months!

That thing, sir, should go down... I mean... up in the annals of automotive history as the best looking flying car... ever.

niky
Damnit... must... get... Discovery... on... my... damn... cable... service! Haven't watched an episode of Monster Garage in months!

That thing, sir, should go down... I mean... up in the annals of automotive history as the best looking flying car... ever.

No it isn't.

This is:

mollerskycar2wv.jpg

Famine: Can I put a boot in a shoe?

Grand Prix
No it isn't.

This is:

mollerskycar2wv.jpg

Nah... it would be if they ever got around to producing it... what's it been, twenty years since they first showed the concept? Though they're supposed to start testing it soon...

And that's not a car, that's a VTOL.

Ought to boot them in the caboose to get them moving faster on that thing... but it'll likely be $$$$.

niky
And that's not a car, that's a VTOL.

VTOL is an action, not an object (Vertical Take Off and Landing). For instance, a Helicopter, or a Harrier (AV-8 to those on the other side of the pond) for that matter, is an aircraft with VTOL capability.

The Skycar supposedly also has VTOL capability, though every photo I've seen of it shows it rather firmly attached to the ground. I'll be impressed if that device has ever put a decent flight together. it may well have, but I've never seen evidence of it (on the other hand, I've never looked for evidence).

But the skycar must be a car... it's got "CAR" stencilled on the side! :sly:

Okay, it's a VTOL aircraft, nitpicker... :lol: ...I don't consider an Airbus a bus... and it's not a car if you can't drive it over a hump and out of your driveway. :lol: Okay, feel free to flame that...

The Moller hasn't done any untethered flights yet. I'm not holding my breath. And it'll likely be expensive. Very expensive.

niky
Okay, it's a VTOL aircraft, nitpicker... :lol: ...I don't consider an Airbus a bus... and it's not a car if you can't drive it over a hump and out of your driveway. :lol: Okay, feel free to flame that...

The Moller hasn't done any untethered flights yet. I'm not holding my breath. And it'll likely be expensive. Very expensive.

Hehe funny you should mention that... you have just reminded me of Jeremy Clarkson's comment that he will not fly in an Airbus when he can fly in a 747, because although the Airbus may be faster and quieter, it's still a bus!

I must be honest - to me that Moller looks really cool, but at the same time it looks like a Hollywood prop, and for a while I even thought the whole thing was a con to raise donations!

Yeah the skycar does look cool but think how much fuel it would need to use just to say get off the ground. If it's like a harrier jet for example they can only fly for about 30 minutes before the fuel runs out.

Maybe it was designed to far ahead of it's time, like these days it's all hydrogen fuel cells and water as the waste product :)

Grand Prix
No it isn't.

This is:

mollerskycar2wv.jpg

no offense but that car is UGLY, and it doesnt even look as if it could do around the city driving..so i wouldnt even consider it a car.

the name does say sky car but.............

FFTUREDRIFTER

Latest Posts

Back