With the 1.05 patch, are PD indicating they will keep an eye on the meta and nerf/buff accordingly?

• Thread starter DakotaXIII
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
If so this can only be a good thing. It keeps the race line-ups varied with lots of different cars and encourages trying different cars.

I know people will complain that they have 'messed' with the cars and that that's unfair. But what's the alternative? If the cars had stayed as they were we'd all be driving the exact same 2 or 3 cars in a years time.

This encourages finding a car that suits you, that you feel confident in, that you have done 100s of laps in and know inside out. Much like real racing.

Beware the salt. There's gonna be a lot of butthurt GTR drivers out there who think PD have ruined the entire game... by balancing it.

It could get out of control if they try to balance too much. Some cars will simply be suited to some tracks more than others. A couple nights ago, the Gr.4 4C I usually use was apparently the car to use at Kyoto Mini. Last night at Dragon's Tail though, it was the slowest of all the cars I tested (still used it though because it's fun).

And as long as they stick with power and weight for balance, it shouldn't really impact how a car fundamentally handles.

Now if they'd just do away with the fixed setups so I can drive my car like I'm used to, that'd be even better.

It could get out of control if they try to balance too much. Some cars will simply be suited to some tracks more than others. A couple nights ago, the Gr.4 4C I usually use was apparently the car to use at Kyoto Mini. Last night at Dragon's Tail though, it was the slowest of all the cars I tested (still used it though because it's fun).

And as long as they stick with power and weight for balance, it shouldn't really impact how a car fundamentally handles.

Now if they'd just do away with the fixed setups so I can drive my car like I'm used to, that'd be even better.
This raises a good point though. A part of the BoP is the track selection. If 3/4 of the tracks are high speed with flowing corners, then the cars that are good on those tracks are going to dominate overall. If the 4C, for example, isn't good on those tracks, it'll have no chance in a championship situation and rarely be used for individual races. The mix of tracks is just as important to the BoP as what they do to the cars.

If the 4C, for example, isn't good on those tracks, it'll have no chance in a championship situation and rarely be used for individual races.
Something else we have yet to see is how tire wear and fuel usage play into things- yeah the 4C may not be as competitive in raw speed but if it can finish a race with one less stop because of that, it's still got a chance. Doesn't do much for the daily sprints but the FIA races will presumably be longer.

This is hopefully what the test seasons this year are for. I'm just going to see how things work out and not get too worried about balance yet.

This raises a good point though. A part of the BoP is the track selection. If 3/4 of the tracks are high speed with flowing corners, then the cars that are good on those tracks are going to dominate overall. If the 4C, for example, isn't good on those tracks, it'll have no chance in a championship situation and rarely be used for individual races. The mix of tracks is just as important to the BoP as what they do to the cars.
The way to fix that is to balance the BoP and unlock tuning! At least that way you can tweak things to make your car of choice more suited to each track.

I'm liking it so far, as the tyre wear is also really coming into play as seen today on Lake Mag. It's making people think about their choices, which will hopefully lead to smarter racers in the long run. Fuel economy will play a factor as well in other events, and the combination of all these factors should make a difference to the typical dominators (cars)... this was a great change in my opinion.

As for the fixed setups, I've said it before... driving cars with both stock and tuned setups just adds to the experience of the drivers themselves. Getting to know your cars in both ways can never be a bad thing!!! Knowledge is power...

Cheers

Last edited:
Something else we have yet to see is how tire wear and fuel usage play into things- yeah the 4C may not be as competitive in raw speed but if it can finish a race with one less stop because of that, it's still got a chance. Doesn't do much for the daily sprints but the FIA races will presumably be longer.

This is hopefully what the test seasons this year are for. I'm just going to see how things work out and not get too worried about balance yet.
Possibly, but IMO that's a holding out for a very slim hope. I imagine all the best racers will size up the cars before the big events start and they'll all be tending towards the best 2 or 3 manufacturers.

Totally agree, as most of what we've seen in GR.4 racing has been suited to power cars like the Scirroco.
Hell even Kyoto mini the best time was a Scirroco followed by 9 4C's.

BoP is always a moving target (for real life illustration just look at the challenges in getting it right for the non-prototype classes at Le Mans), but I am very happy to see this signal that PD are intent on doing what they can to keep hitting that moving target. It'll never be perfect, but I applaud their apparent dedication to continued efforts.

Possibly, but IMO that's a holding out for a very slim hope.
You're right. I just noticed that the FIA events have fuel and tires turned off. Along with fixed setups.:banghead:

All that focus on organized online events with skill/safety matchmaking only to just completely ignore most of the depth the game has in those events. For what purpose?

Back