World Cup 2010 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments
What a fantastic performance by England. Walcott scoring a hat-trick in Croatia. Our best win since we beat the Germans 5-1, I reckon.

I read a theory on 606 that that wasn't England. At least not as we know it. The reason we played well is becasue we were all sucked into an alternate dimension this morning when that particle accelerator was turned on and in this realty England are good.

It does sound more realistic than assuming that that is the same group of players who played over the weekend.

On a serious note, good to see Rooney playing well in an England shirt again, Walcott too deserves special praise for his hat-trick. Good performance all round, which was refreshing to see.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd stick this message up because, with results so far tonight, England, Scotland AND Wales are all top of their groups.

It won't last when all tonight's results are in, but it's nice for now :D

Just thought I'd stick this message up because, with results so far tonight, England, Scotland AND Wales are all top of their groups.

It won't last when all tonight's results are in, but it's nice for now :D
Are we? :odd: Are we really?

Until the Dutch complete their win over Iceland, yes.

Today saw South Africa get knocked out of qualifying for their own tournament (don't ask why they were in it when they have a guaranteed berth) along with 2002 Quarter-finalists Senegal - probably the biggest name we've lost so far and the only former Finals attendee up to now.

That score was flattering, if we were playing against any team that was remotely good thenwe'd have got thrashed. Gerrard and Lampard still don't work well together, and Barry doesn't work well either. We need a proper holding midfielder like Carrick with Lampard given a free role and drop Gerrard onto the bench. Ideally we'd have Joe Cole on the left and Wright-Phillips or Walcott on the left. That performance today was far from cohesive. The result was good, the performance was not.

Hmm, I forgot to update the North and South America results on Sunday, and it seems we've also lost Canada (bottom of their 4 team group) - also former visitors to the Finals (1986). I think I shall have to add an elimination chronology... To this post :D

Edit: We also lost one-time attendees China, Iraq and Kuwait back in June. Bums

Eliminated sides:
September 2007

3rd - American Samoa, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, Tahiti, Tuvalu
7th - Solomon Islands
October 2007
15th - Macau
26th - Afghanistan
28th - Cambodia, Chinese Taipei, India, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Palestine, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
November 2007
16th - Somalia
17th - Comoros, Guinea-Bissau
18th - Hong Kong, Indonesia, Tajikistan, Yemen
March 2008
26th - Anguilla, Aruba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Montserrat, Nicaragua, St. Christopher & Nevis, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands
30th - British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands
June 2008
7th - Lebanon, Turkmenistan
14th - China*, Jordan, Kuwait*, Oman, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand
18th - Bahamas
20th - Saint Vincent & The Grenadines
21st - Belize, Grenada, St. Lucia, Tanzania
22nd - Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, Bermuda, Guyana, Iraq*, Mauritius, Netherlands Antilles, Panama, Syria
September 2008
6th - Cape Verde
October 2008
11th - Canada*, Senegal*
15th - Cuba*, Haiti*
April 2009
1st - United Arab Emirates*, Malta, San Marino
June 2009
6th - Georgia, Andorra, Albania
10th - Qatar, Peru*
17th - Uzbekistan, Iran*
August 2009
12th - Iceland
September 2009
5th - Azerbaijan, Armenia, Cyprus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Guinea, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Malawi, Moldova, Montenegro, Rwanda
6th - Benin, Mali, Sudan
9th - Belarus, Belgium*, Bolivia*, Finland, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia*, Scotland*, Trinidad & Tobago*, Wales*
October 2009
10th - Austria*, Bulgaria*, Burkina Faso, Finland, Lithuania, Morocco*, Poland*, Romania*, Togo, Turkey*
11th - Kenya, Mozambique
14th - Croatia*, Czech Republic*, Ecuador*, Hungary*, Israel*, Latvia, Northern Ireland*, Norway*, Sweden*, Venezuela

*Former World Cup Finalists

Last edited:
No surprises today in Europe. Well, maybe Greece vs. Switzerland was a surprise:

Greece 1:2 (0:1) Switzerland
Estonia 0:0 Turkey
Belarus 1:3 (1:1) England
Italy 2:1 (2:1) Montenegro
Germany 1:0 (0:0) Wales
Belgium 1:2 (1:1) Spain
Slovakia 2:1 (0:0) Poland
Austria 1:3 (0:3) Serbia
Georgia 0:0 Bulgaria
Luxembourg 0:0 Moldova
Bosnia-Herzegovina 4:1 (2:0) Armenia
Croatia 4:0 (2:0) Andorra
Northern Ireland 4:0 (2:0) San Marin
Ireland Republic 1:0 (1:0) Cyprus
Malta 0:1 (0:1) Hungary
Latvia 1:1 (0:0) Israel
Russia 3:0 (1:0) Finland
Lithuania 1:0 (1:0) Faroe Islands
Iceland 1:0 (1:0) Macedonia FYR
Czech Republic 1:0 (0:0) Slovenia

With the victory of Switzerland there are only two nations left with a maximum of points: England and Spain.

Germany is now four games without conceiving a (yellow or red) card.

P. S. Germany vs. England (friendly) next month! Finally an interesting match!

Last edited:
Shame about the Greece result. I put a pound on England to win, Czech to win, Northern Ireland to win, Germany to win, Russia to win, Croatia to win and Italy to win. Oh and Greece to win. They all won barring Greece. Can I ask them to forget I ticked that game :lol:. I pocketed plenty anway on double, treble and quad bets.

Wow. It's stunning which teams that have been to Finals before. Last night we lost Cuba (1938) and Haiti (1974) from the former attendees who can still qualify.

With the victory of Switzerland there are only two nations left with a maximum of points: England and Spain.

And the Netherlands. 3 wins from 3.

Last edited:
Amazingly, we (Scotland) are still second after last night's results... shame, though, that we are also the worst 2nd place side in the tournament, which means that we are extremely unlikely to qualify :indiff: Anyway, I believe we've got a while until our next game... maybe by that time, Kris Boyd will no longer be in a big cream puff about not playing against Norway...

Don't click if you have a sensitive nature, or are Scottish....

:ouch:

Boyd would have buried that. Actually anyone could have buried that...

Burley got the tactics and players completely wrong for the Norway game. We should have had Boyd up front, Maloney on the left and Morrison on the right, with McFadden playing just behind, and supporting, Boyd.

Don't click if you have a sensitive nature, or are Scottish....

:ouch:

Boyd would have buried that. Actually anyone could have buried that...

Burley got the tactics and players completely wrong for the Norway game. We should have had Boyd up front, Maloney on the left and Morrison on the right, with McFadden playing just behind, and supporting, Boyd.

:lol: I had a good laugh at the "hehe" caption. 👍

Oh dear, I just discovered that I share an opinion with the SNP...

Why aren't Scotland World Cup qualifiers shown on "normal" TV in Scotland?

Tonight, England v Ukraine is on ITV1 (and I'm able to watch it on the ITV website, to my surprise) but alas, if I want to see the Scotland game, I have to either have Sky, or go to the pub to watch the game... very annoying... so I am listening to the game on the radio, and watching the England game...

Wohoo! Ireland drew with the reigning world cup champions (Italy). :P
And we nearly won, oh yeah they did only have ten men, but shush dont take it away from us.

Didn't get chance to watch the England game today due to being at work, but I did get to see the USA game. Was impressed by Jozy Altidore's hat-trick, he's one to watch for the future, although sadly he's supposedly at Villareal but they've loaned him to some Spanish 2nd Division team at the moment.

Apparently Poland didn't take too kindly to being beaten by Northern Ireland, and took revenge upon poor San Marino to the tune of a 10-0 drubbing - setting a record for this round of qualification...

And what the hell has happened to Mexico?

We beat Iceland
aprilfools.gif

Bring on Farmfoods...

We beat Iceland
aprilfools.gif

Bring on Farmfoods...
Noooooooooooooooooooooo... I just got that Farmfoods song out of my head from last night, and now you've put it right back in there :ouch:

But I'll let you off, especially since you kindly shared your "Iceland" vouchers ;)

I was :( El Salvador lost last night. I had high hopes for them as they played great against the USA on Saturday and were beating them 2-0 for 70odd minutes! an then started playing dirty.

Mexico was bad last night!!!! they showed up but had no heart...the ref totally blunder the call on that penalty...the game should have ended 4-0...

The US game was awesome, As Smallhorses pointed out Josie Altidore was great...too bad he decided to try his luck in Spain, i thought he had a great future here in the MLS.

He probably would of had a great future in MLS, but European football is a higher standard and if he get's a regular place in Villareals first team or achieves that at another Spaish, Italian or English top leage club then he'll have proven to be a good player at club level. He is a good young player.

He probably would of had a great future in MLS, but European football is a higher standard and if he get's a regular place in Villareals first team or achieves that at another Spaish, Italian or English top leage club then he'll have proven to be a good player at club level. He is a good young player.

True but i think he needed to wait a few years...I'm sure he was thinking of that (step up his game) and the $$$... But look what happened to him now...on loan from Villareal and the team he went to is trying to loan him to another team as they don't have room for him :crazy:
he is following the foot steps of the other kid (Freddy Adu) in Sportin...bench warmer! :indiff:

Back