World Touring Car 800 races

• Thread starter crooky369
  • 49 comments
phillip_andrews
This isn't regarding the championship in the Cafe Menu but the individual races.

Is it just me or are these races super hard?

I'm racing in an Audi R8 LMS Evo '19 Group 3 car (with a medium-rpm turbocharger) as the rest of the field are using Group 3 cars and after many attempts I've won at Daytona and Monza but cannot for the life of me find the 10 seconds I need to win at Barcelona.

I've tried an aggressive two stopper, a one stopper changing the tyres, a one stopper not changing the tyres and even a no stopper but apart from the two stopper they all seem to take roughly the same amount of time.

The Audi feels good in general but likes to slide through medium/high speed for corners even when the car is loaded with downforce through high speed corners. That's where I'm losing a lot of my speed and presumably tyre life but I'm struggling to negate this issue.

I did a good 30-40 odd laps at Tsukuba trying to find a solution for the sliding without too much luck. I've switched on ASM and switched on TCS up to 5 and that has helped but the sliding is still present. The counter steering assistance didn't really help either.

I want to use a Group 3 car but is the Audi R8 an appropriate car or is there other better options?

I used a power restricted Gr.2 Epson NSX, and sometimes felt like I was cheating 😀
Funnily enough I just tried the Castrol Supra another JGTC/GT500 car and got almost exactly the same time as the Audi almost to the second...

They're nice cars to drive I must say. I had much more confidence in what the car was doing compared to the Audi but poor brakes and lacking a little in the downforce stakes hurt it pace wise.

A Group 2 modern Super GT GT500 car is definitely cheating though! Those monsters are closer to prototypes than GT cars.

I think the new Ford GT and the Ford GT Spec II are some of the best Gr. 3 cars we have right now. The Spec II won these races for me stock, but it cost's almost 4x more than other Gr. 3's (which is why we need more racing classes since this is built way faster than modern GT3 racing and the Mclaren F1 GTR was a GT1 spec that won Le Mans... anyway, I digress)

Porsche 911 RSR is one of the faster Gr. 3's as well. Pretty much if they are slow on Sport's BoP, you know they're pretty good.
As for strategy I've always strived for one pit, if possible a little past half way so I can switch from hards to softs and run with the throttle wide-open as much as possible.

Last edited:
The Citroen GR.3 car did it for me. I struggled with a few other cars that I already owned, and noticed that while most GR.3 cars were around 725 to 730 PP off the shelf, a few had more PP for the same 450k credits. The Citroen is 762 PP (if I recall correctly), the most of any of them. I think the Viper and Beetle also had more PP for the money. I added the mid range turbo and tried different tires, but ended up sticking (no pun intended) with RH. In most races setting my in-race power (fuel?) to 3 or 4 would get me to one pit stop for fuel (and hey why noy get a fresh set of tires while I'm here!). I did have to tweak the LSD a little and the rear downforce to keep the tail of the car more stable.

Im also struggling with this race, can’t seem to catch up to the V12 Vantage as well… Im around 10-15 sec behind. Never had this much trouble with any race before. I’ve tried both the R8 and the Ford GT Spec II (with turbo and supercharger) but I have better consistency with the R8. Not getting much better lap times with the tuned Spec II either, it’s just harder to handle.. Have you managed to win it yet?

I think having all of those aids on is slowing you down, honestly. The Audi can be a handful without a proper tune.

My opinion, go with a different Gr3 car. I am a big fan of the Jag and I think it's super underrated. It's very stable. The Evo Gr3 & Vette are very stable and easy to drive as well. I think if you use a car that has better handling characteristics you can turn off all the aids and be much faster.

I just did it with the R8 so its doable, ran RH with power 2 and pitted at lap 5 with tyre change. I have all assists off except TCS which is at 1

Super Formula car makes quick work of them but yeah they are meant to be hard.
Same here. I've bought the Super Formula but there isn't a real championship for at the moment so i've been de-tuning it for the 800 and 700 races.
Walk in the park, but then again that car is such a joy to drive.

Buying a new wing and increase the rear downforce made the R8 much more stable for me btw
Good suggestion thanks. The car did feel better... For the first 2 and three-quarter laps and then the tyres were knackered (hards). I'm not sure if they're dead at the point or just overheating.

Was struggling for traction and sliding mid corner everywhere after that.

Think I might have to give up on the Audi tbh.

I've got the Mazda LM vision (both versions) which I've won Suzuka Group 3, Maggio Group 3 and the Daytona 800pp race. I won the Spa Group 3 race in the Renault RS01 Group 3.

Otherwise I've got the lovely to drive but little bit slow Supra GT500.

Tempted to buy the Ford GTE '18 car or the Genesis X Group 3 as they're both new to Gran Turismo 7 but not sure if they're actually worth getting?

Subaru Gr3 on mapping 3 for the race until last lap with a burst at mapping 2. Does seem to me that the Aston is also struggling for fuel on the last lap at the Barcelona race as I seemed to of gapped it very easily once I passed it on the last lap. No stopper is the way to win these WTC800 races I find. Mapping 3 an short shift has been what I’ve done with most of them except at Fuji as a pit stop is required anyways for slicks once the dry line is formed.

Last edited:
It's as hard as you make it. Change dif setting, change group 4/3/2 car and/or tune it to according to how difficult you want it to be.
This. I recently made the adjustment to go down to normal difficulty and then just keep my car’s PP down at a level that keeps the races fun (20-50PP lower than the field is usually good) because I don’t like how the AI behaves on three peppers.

Three-pepper difficulty seems to just make the top 2-4 cars run faster times so they’re harder to catch. It doesn’t change anything else about how they behave from what I can tell. Not worth it. Much more enjoyable to keep the difficulty on normal and police yourself to keep the races legit.

Just checking...

Are these the sort of times that you guys are seeing?

Pretty sure that's my fastest time so far. Start on mediums at power setting 1 for 4 laps, switch onto the hards and stay in power setting 1 for my outlap. Then back to power setting 2 for the rest of the race apart from the last few corners on power level 6.

PXL_20220404_213506095.jpg

Yeah I did it on average doing 48’s and 49’s odd 1:50 on mapping 3 as above an finished the race around 18:20. Worthy of note I am A+ in sport mind. But easily quickest way is no stopping, I tried the all out flat out method at Barcelona an came up short by 3 or 4 seconds due to the pitstop an refuelling

Last edited:
It's set to the hardest level. It's good because it's nice to actually have a tough race against the AI for once.

Having to think about pit strategy, car setup and trying to be consistent and fast over 10 laps is the sort of challenge I enjoy.
Problem I have with hard is that it’s not really a fair fight. They seem to have an unfair advantage where they are always out accelerating tuned cars with more power on almost every turn. Not to mention everything they do is perfect, with the weird physics on rwd vehicles one super minor mistake any you loose like 3 seconds, from something that should easily recovered from (at least on a controller)x

I’m also not even convinced the difficulty setting does anything to those races. I’ve managed to beat a few of them with corner cutting but most of the time I’m 10 seconds behind the leader

Last edited:
I usually run the mclaren with large turbo, 1st lap lean 6 then start to run richer a lap at a time to get to lap 6 if it’s a 10 lapper. pit at lap 6 end running last lap as rich as possible to get to pits. Swap for mediums fill up enough for the last laps and run rich 1 till the end. Won almost all on first go. Just about to do Le Mans version.
They are my favourite races. Great fun. I have most GT3 cars and find the mcclaren the best. @praiano63 tune as always. Guys an absolute genius tuner. Thought the Porsche GT3 was great out the box till I stuck his tune on. The man has a genuine talent for tuning and the physics of the game.

Just finished all of them save for Daytona and Le Mans for the first time today in the CLK LM and for the most part they were easy. Just cruise around with hards on fuel map 1 or 2 with short shifting half way on the tach and it’s just a simple 1 stop with with only refueling needed.

Dragon Trail was by far the easiest, winning by almost 40 seconds. Passed everyone by lap 3 and just sped away.
Lago Maggiore was also really easy. Same with DTS but it took until lap 7. This is the race I stayed on map 2 the most for.
Fuji was easy if you just one stop for inters or are confident enough on slicks since the AI will pit for slicks on the last lap.
Suzuka might be tricky because I don’t know how random the weather is in the events. My race dodged almost all the rain and didn’t have to go onto wets, so it was fairly straightforward. Mileage may vary.
Monza might be tricky since when I did it the leading Viper pit on laps 4 and 8, coming out right in front of me, then it pit again on lap 9? Not sure if that is intended but it could be easy or hard depending on if that happens again. Again, mileage may vary.
Catalunya was the trickiest for me, mainly because I’m awful at the track. I might have been able to do it legitimately just barely but I cut the final chicane when I was close to the leader on lap 9 for an easy win.

I think any of the older GT500 cars detuned could yield similar results for these races. I haven’t tried the CLK LM at Daytona or Le Mans yet since I had already done those and didn’t feel like doing them again. But I think a beefed up Gr3 car would be better suited than a detuned Gr2 car for those races since that’s what I beat them in the first time.

Just checking...

Are these the sort of times that you guys are seeing?

Pretty sure that's my fastest time so far. Start on mediums at power setting 1 for 4 laps, switch onto the hards and stay in power setting 1 for my outlap. Then back to power setting 2 for the rest of the race apart from the last few corners on power level 6.

View attachment 1133455
yeah, this matches my time for sure, I overtook the lead just before the last chicane.

Attachments

• 7E8D3643-4933-486E-AD1A-78B01D053F3F.jpeg
    7E8D3643-4933-486E-AD1A-78B01D053F3F.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
the Gr3 NSX is a beast once you get it dialed in so it’s not all squirrelly on you on corner exit with that awful snap oversteer PD seems to like. Just make you pit for tires and fuel (even on RH) on the tracks with more high speed turns. I made the mistake of going through Daytona trying to just fuel and no tires and it made my last 4 laps easily 1 second slower.

Smaller tracks you can get away with RMs on the rear to manage some of those moments when you push just a little too hard

Last edited:
I used a power restricted Gr.2 Epson NSX, and sometimes felt like I was cheating 😀
I just picked this up today and if you don't upgrade the turbo you don't even have to power restrict it, just swapping the race medium tires it comes with out for hard ones gets you below 800. It drives just as well as I remember from past games. Hopefully they'll add some Gr.2 World Circuit events where it will be more evenly matched before long, but for now it's really fun to feel hugely overpowered in it for repeating the WTC 800 events.

Latest Posts

Back