Worse with a wheel and load cell pedals than a controller???

• Thread starter Pablovi77
  • 37 comments
Hey,

I am so thankful for this threat. I was a very decent daily race drive up to an A DR. Then I switched to an T300RS GT and I was shocked that I am not able to reach my times, not even close (2 secs/round) only in the rain of Spa this week I could compete.

I was so frustrated, but after reading this I will continue my wheel journey and hopefully will become an even better driver in the end... but it`s very hard to be slow again :(

hrnyms (hieronymus)
I can advise you to drive the licenses again with your new steering wheel. So if you do everything on gold again, your body will have adjusted to the new wheel, your muscle memory.

I have a similar problem this week too, although I swapped my pedals. But the new pedals are very different from the old ones. And my muscle memory has to change completely, especially the brakes are completely different.

But I've already set new personal records on my favorite track and improved my previous best time there by a full 5 seconds. But you have to say that my old time wasn't outstanding, but I just couldn't do more, no matter what I did.

A new better steering wheel will be added in the next few days to feel the road and the car better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here this topic comes up a lot so let's post our downgraded times after getting a wheel. This is also bearing in mind that I did practice outside of sport mode with wheel before trying again

When wheel arrived in post.png

Two key things to remember when first using a wheel in GTS, particularly if you have any experience of actual driving.

GTS' at times odd physics mean that what you expect to happen from real-world experience doesn't always translate, so expect to have to 'learn' again. This applies more to MR/RR and FWD cars.

GTS doesn't have a linear throttle pedal, as such you get less throttle application for the majority of the travel, then you get everything in the last bit of travel. This makes throttle modulation far harder than it needs to be and is also counter to almost every real-world car (road or track).

GTS doesn't have a linear throttle pedal
Why the hell is it like this? To help people apply a little bit of throttle during steady cornering? Sure, that works, until you apply a touch too much in low grip situations and it jumps 20% and kills you. I wish this could be turned off.

Why the hell is it like this? To help people apply a little bit of throttle during steady cornering? Sure, that works, until you apply a touch too much in low grip situations and it jumps 20% and kills you. I wish this could be turned off.
No idea, it's stupid and not needed.

I'm sure this is to make the game reasonably playable with a pad.
You can feel this problem very strongly if you want to take some gas off, then it goes directly from 100 to 20% when you step on the gas it gets a little better and finer again, but it should actually resolve much more linearly than it does in the game.
The brakes also work very well linearly, why this is not the case with the gas... only the programmers can answer.

Yeah, first few days I was sliding off the track all the time lol. I thought I'd wasted my money too, but now I wouldn't go back. Once you get used to the wheel you basically get another sense to drive with - the sense of touch/feel. Being able to tell when the car is on the edge of losing tyre grip is huge, and the increased precision you get from having all that rotation (compared to a stick) makes it so much easier to control. Now I find it pretty hard to spin out even with TC @ 0. On controller I always felt like I was one small twitch movement away from spinning (in some cars).

Back