Worst racing game EVER!

• Thread starter 2011Z
  • 121 comments
I'd guess people willing to pay irace prices consider themselves more serious about the sport, and have more respect for those around them. That does not make the game better than another game though.

No, but iRacing is better set up for the purely online racing aspect. You could also make the point that having a high bar to entry makes people take the racing more seriously, just like real life racing, and that self-selection process is quite an important part of getting the pool of multiplayer drivers that you want. Ultimately, it adds up to a game where the racing is cleaner (without getting into the physics and damage advantages that iRacing has).

GTS is unfortunately trying to straddle a kind of middle ground that I'm not sure really exists. Everyone wants clean racing, but I find that a lot of more casual players take that to mean that they want to be able to drive how they want while other people keep out of their way. That's not really how it works, the reality is that if you want clean racing you learn to spot the lunatics and drive in such a fashion that it's very hard for them to wreck you.

I'm not sure that there's actually overlap between the "just jump on for a quick race" crowd and the "I take clean racing seriously enough to give up positions if I have to" crowd. See below.

I just hate how the rating system has pussified the racing. If you get hit... you lose rating, if you hit back... you lose rating, if you quit... you lose rating. The only option is to move over when a dirty driver is nearby... and that ain't racing.

Yeah, it is. And your mindset is the exact problem that GTS has with trying to implement a safety rating system with the more casual drivers. For most of them, it's not as fun. You don't get to feel like Lewis Hamilton for that one lap when he stormed up the inside and took three places. You get to feel like Lewis Hamilton when he drove 59 intelligently cautious laps to take an unspectacular victory.

How do you feel about stewards and driving standards rules in real motorsport?

Ideally the system should be one where you drive how you drive, regardless of the length. If there is a big disparity between how you drive short vs long, something up. Especially if you’re faster and safer on a long race (according to their metrics).

Perhaps I explained that poorly. I think the system functions fine for short and long races. It's simply that human drivers, especially the more casual ones, approach short races with a different mindset to long races. Specifically, they tend to be more aggressive and more prone to take risk.

Motorsport as a competitive activity really isn't set up to deal with sub-10 minute races well. I understand that people just want to jump on for a quick race, but that's pretty antithetical to the idea of drivers who race cleanly, calmly and with good knowledge of track and vehicle.

I get what you’re saying, but the fact remains that 2/3 of the daily events are short races, and as has been mentioned, your rating is less in your hands than, well, than a lot of us would like. I’d like it to be more in my hands at least.

I don’t think the game is broken or anything like that. I think it’s some tweaks from working well in the shorter races.

You may disagree with me, but I just think that if I get bumped once in a race, that shouldn’t negate my entire race in terms of sportsmanship.

The thing that makes me laugh about this thread is the fact that the OP thought GT Sport would have clean,sensible competitors in the first place.

Never have and never will do an online race in this game for that exact reason.
iRacing is the ONLY one that gets it right.

So yesterday I had one small collision with someone which didn't result in penalties or mess up the race for either of us.. But still my SR went from A to C.. Wtf.. Next race with the C-guys every single guy except the winner had a time penalty.. Way to go GTS.

I used to say just this, however in the recent new year Suzuka Gr.3 daily (the day I decided to make a come back to Sport mode) I had a great time.
Ok that' very rare lol. I gonna try sport mode again thanks 4 the new faith.

And with a group attitude like this, the clean racing in sport mode will not get any better.

What group attitude?
Rammers can be found in any racing game either on PC or console...not mentioning one won't force clean racing...

If you're raging about other players in a game, the problem isn't other players, it's you (not directed at you specifically EmArA).
Will let this one slide to the ones who actually raged....

The first step and the key to racing clean is to realise the world isn't going to end if you don't win, and if anything, races can be more fun when you don't.

So much this. Wins don't equal fun. Any clean battle, anywhere on the grid is what does it for me. Hell, I've won races that haven't given me as much excitement as a battle for 8th-12th over 10 laps.

What group attitude?
Rammers can be found in any racing game either on PC or console...not mentioning one won't force clean racing...

The attitude you find on here of "I'm a clean racer but others aren't so I'm not racing anymore". The fewer clean racers that race, the more likely hood of you or others will be paired with people who can't or won't race clean.

Will let this one slide to the ones who actually raged....

Was (not directed at you specifically EmArA) not clear enough?

Yeah, it is. And your mindset is the exact problem that GTS has with trying to implement a safety rating system with the more casual drivers. For most of them, it's not as fun. You don't get to feel like Lewis Hamilton for that one lap when he stormed up the inside and took three places. You get to feel like Lewis Hamilton when he drove 59 intelligently cautious laps to take an unspectacular victory.

How do you feel about stewards and driving standards rules in real motorsport?

I'm not sure I understand your overall jest, but the question, "How do you feel about stewards and driving standards rules in real motorsport?"... if they judged the racing like GTS I wouldn't be racing in that series. But, real people tend to make better judgement calls than a first gen AI steward.

I'm not sure I understand your overall jest, but the question, "How do you feel about stewards and driving standards rules in real motorsport?"... if they judged the racing like GTS I wouldn't be racing in that series. But, real people tend to make better judgement calls than a first gen AI steward.

It's not a jest. I'm not talking about the accuracy of judgement, I'm talking about the intention of the rules overall. Stewards and driving standards rules in real motorsport mean that the racing is also "pussified", as you put it. If you get hit or hit back, then you can be held liable and penalised. You are expected to drive cleanly, and any contact or incident may result in your being penalised. Is that "pussified" racing?

I'd say that it's merely sensible, and the best way to ensure a competitive environment in which all drivers have a fair chance of winning through skill. But I guess destruction derbies still exist. However in real races, yes, sometimes you simply have to move over and give the spot up. I'm afraid that's part of racing, and until you learn that you're unlikely to be a particularly successful racer.

It's not a jest. I'm not talking about the accuracy of judgement, I'm talking about the intention of the rules overall. Stewards and driving standards rules in real motorsport mean that the racing is also "pussified", as you put it. If you get hit or hit back, then you can be held liable and penalised. You are expected to drive cleanly, and any contact or incident may result in your being penalised. Is that "pussified" racing?

I'd say that it's merely sensible, and the best way to ensure a competitive environment in which all drivers have a fair chance of winning through skill. But I guess destruction derbies still exist. However in real races, yes, sometimes you simply have to move over and give the spot up. I'm afraid that's part of racing, and until you learn that you're unlikely to be a particularly successful racer.

There is NEVER a time when you should move over and give up a spot. There are definitely times when you should not fight a move, there are definitely times you need to give extra space... but to NEED to move over and give up a spot is simply against the idea of what you are doing. In that case... why are you even on the track? For a nice Sunday drive?

There is NEVER a time when you should move over and give up a spot. There are definitely times when you should not fight a move, there are definitely times you need to give extra space... but to NEED to move over and give up a spot is simply against the idea of what you are doing. In that case... why are you even on the track? For a nice Sunday drive?

I agree, unless you’re being lapped. If you’re that slow you’re already out of the race.

I agree, unless you’re being lapped. If you’re that slow you’re already out of the race.

When you are being lapped you are not giving up a spot and maintain your same position after being passed by the leaders so that is an entirely different context and situation which does not really apply as in "giving up a position or a spot".

If I take an inside line through a corner in order to pass, bump my opponent and slightly nudge him off his intended racing line, you can rest assured I'll be moving over on the next straight to return the position. Just another exception to your philosophy that I can pretty much agree with. Having a competitive spirit is great, but we need to be fair with each other in order to maintain fun levels for everyone.

I get what you’re saying, but the fact remains that 2/3 of the daily events are short races, and as has been mentioned, your rating is less in your hands than, well, than a lot of us would like. I’d like it to be more in my hands at least.

I don’t think the game is broken or anything like that. I think it’s some tweaks from working well in the shorter races.

You may disagree with me, but I just think that if I get bumped once in a race, that shouldn’t negate my entire race in terms of sportsmanship.

I agree with you in that it would be desirable for you to have more personal control over your SR, I just don't think that there's any tweak that can be made to make it work better in short races. If you've got 3 lap races and you're getting bumped once a race (which is probably pretty good, considering), that means that the system overall is seeing an incident every three laps.

By nobody's standard is that particularly clean racing. That's not really your fault, but that's what the system is rating you on.

If you watch real life motorsport, you know that the start and the end of races tend to be where most incidents happen. The start because the cars are very close together and there's often so much going on that it's very difficult to be completely clean. A slight misjudgment by one person can easily snowball into several cars being involved in an incident. The end because people get excited at the thought of being just one more place up the finishing order and do risky things that wouldn't make sense with 45 laps still to go. These things are both completely natural and a part of motorsport and it's strategy.

But a three lap race is ALL start and end. It takes a lap or two for the cars to space out and break into smaller groups that aren't going three wide through corners. And then you're one lap from the end, and people start making dives to get into the top three. Short races are simply awful for promoting clean racing, and there's really not much that any rating system is ever going to be able to do about that. If short races are the bread and butter of the racing system (like in GTS), you want an accurate measure of how people drive in that scenario so you can't weight results to reduce the incidents. But at the same time it's a situation in which almost no set of drivers can realistically be expected to run completely incident free, even with high levels of skill and no malice at all.

Even the most sportsmanlike driver isn't going to appear very sportsmanlike if all they're running is opening and closing laps, without any chance to have those mid-race laps with consistent solo driving or clean battles with one to two other drivers. It's impossible. Look at the rate of first corner incidents in professional motorsport. These people make this their trade, and are paid as some of the best in the world, and yet it's generally still considered unusual if everyone gets through the first corner unscathed.

Perhaps I misworded that. You don't NEED to, but there are definitely times when it's in your interest. I mean, I race to get the best result I can, not get into get stuck on track holding up other people or keeping myself in the vicinity of dangerous drivers. Ultimately, it's to my disadvantage to do so.

But that's just me looking at the bigger picture. I'd rather win the war than win the battle.

There are times when you don't need to move over, but you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't. I can't keep count of the amount of aggressive drivers I've let by only to repass them two laps later when they're stuck in a sand trap. Possibly with some other poor sod that they took out in the process. I'm always more than happy to let aggressive idiots go and do aggressive idiot things somewhere not near me. The vast majority of the time I win on the exchange; aggressive drivers are rarely skilled or consistent or they wouldn't need to be aggressive to get results.

From your lack of response to the other half of the post, I take it that you agree that modern real life motorsport is also "pussified" then?

For what it's worth:

I bought GT Sport out of sheer frustration with the unplayable online races in Forza 7. I initially ignored GT Sport because of it's limited content but I'm gonna go on the record here saying I was wrong.

First of all GT Sport blows Forza 7 out of the water on a good 4k HDR TV. My mind was blown by the lighting. It's beautiful.

Then the real reason why I bought it: While by no means perfect, the online behavior of GTS players is WAY BETTER than in Forza 7. I finish races now as opposed to rage-quitting all the time when I try a race in Forza. The only 'online' thing I like in Forza is hotlap leaderboards and for some reason I don't understand they crippled that mode severely. No more "I wanna race the Ring in a class A time and see how well I do compared to the rest of the player base". With that gone as well I have even less reason to be in Forza 7.

So far GT Sport has really positively surprised me. I'm really enjoying it despite it being way less content rich than Forza 7. But then again I don't need 500 cars in my garage personally.

I love Forza for what it is but I certainly also love GT Sport for what it is. And the reasons are very different which makes me definitely not regret buying it.

Sport racing is criminal and needs addressing

The penalty system doesn’t work either a car gets hit from behind you runs across the track and you hit it as knowhere to go and that’s 10 seconds right off the bat for you just driving

Lately the racing has been mayhem and you can’t get away from bumper cars surely there are people complaining about lack of good racing as there are guys on sport racing fair and trying to race the good race rather than use you as there corner brake marker

I agree with you in that it would be desirable for you to have more personal control over your SR, I just don't think that there's any tweak that can be made to make it work better in short races. If you've got 3 lap races and you're getting bumped once a race (which is probably pretty good, considering), that means that the system overall is seeing an incident every three laps.

By nobody's standard is that particularly clean racing. That's not really your fault, but that's what the system is rating you on.

Of course they can, assuming they're able to get as much information as Forza, they absolutely have enough statistics, it's just a matter of what you want the statistics to do. Right now it's clearly primarily a punishment system. It doesn't have to be.

If you get bumped once in a race, right now we agree that the system probably sees you're involved in an incident once every 3 laps. That's not good practice, statistics wise. It's flawed for many, many reasons.

How about this instead:

Break up a lap into say 4 sections. You get that bump in T1 of lap 1. Now you have 11 consecutive perfect sections. The current system doesn't reward this behavior, but I think it's a better way to separate terrible drivers (I think they should also tighten up the boundaries a bit, and tweak contact with walls). As we've seen, it's not easy to have the system place blame on contact, so you can take that (partially) out of the equation, and place the responsibility on the driver to race the rest of the race properly.

Forza notices clean passes, and tight drafts; it doesn't do anything with this information, but if GT has access to that sort of information, they can utilize it in the sportsmanship ratings. More data points. More data makes the results more representative of reality.

If you watch real life motorsport, you know that the start and the end of races tend to be where most incidents happen. The start because the cars are very close together and there's often so much going on that it's very difficult to be completely clean. A slight misjudgment by one person can easily snowball into several cars being involved in an incident. The end because people get excited at the thought of being just one more place up the finishing order and do risky things that wouldn't make sense with 45 laps still to go. These things are both completely natural and a part of motorsport and it's strategy.

But a three lap race is ALL start and end. It takes a lap or two for the cars to space out and break into smaller groups that aren't going three wide through corners. And then you're one lap from the end, and people start making dives to get into the top three. Short races are simply awful for promoting clean racing, and there's really not much that any rating system is ever going to be able to do about that. If short races are the bread and butter of the racing system (like in GTS), you want an accurate measure of how people drive in that scenario so you can't weight results to reduce the incidents. But at the same time it's a situation in which almost no set of drivers can realistically be expected to run completely incident free, even with high levels of skill and no malice at all.

Even the most sportsmanlike driver isn't going to appear very sportsmanlike if all they're running is opening and closing laps, without any chance to have those mid-race laps with consistent solo driving or clean battles with one to two other drivers. It's impossible. Look at the rate of first corner incidents in professional motorsport. These people make this their trade, and are paid as some of the best in the world, and yet it's generally still considered unusual if everyone gets through the first corner unscathed.

I agree with your view on the nature of the races, but disagree with your conclusion, that's why I keep saying their system needs to be scaled. You have to scale your information for your race length because it affects the outcome of your results, and because we've already established it's NOT an accurate representation of how people drive. Without the ability to assign blame in a collision, it's a very inaccurate representation; it's assigning a blind number (blind because it affects all involved parties equally even if the reality is different) to a very subjective event, and in a 3 lap race you don't have nearly the sample size of events to just rely on raw numbers.

Yes, people drive hard in the beginning, and the very end. The ones who need to be weeded out are the ones who drive idiotically in the beginning, middle, and end. In a 3 lap race, as you mentioned, 2/3 of the laps overlap. Therefore you need to look at more information, and weight your data.

The impression i was given by reviews of GT Sport is the direction it was heading in was online racing.

Generally i think the standard of racing is good for a console. Most incidents to my mind are lack of ability rather than malicious.

What i do find odd though is to promote online racing, ideally you need tracks that reduce opportunities for contact so having tracks like Bathurst and placing it so regularly on the daily race schedule seems counter productive to promoting a good online experience.

Oddly though i found that when racing drivers at DR D/C races these were by far cleaner than A/B races which was dissapointing.

Its almost like you had a group of quick drivers who all felt they could win from whatever position in A/B races and there seems to be a lot less patience heading into T1 at the start whereas in the C/D races it felt like people were more ready to accept the limit to their ability and were more patient.

Last edited:
Of course they can, assuming they're able to get as much information as Forza, they absolutely have enough statistics, it's just a matter of what you want the statistics to do. Right now it's clearly primarily a punishment system. It doesn't have to be.

If you get bumped once in a race, right now we agree that the system probably sees you're involved in an incident once every 3 laps. That's not good practice, statistics wise. It's flawed for many, many reasons.

Such as? You're legitimately involved in one incident every three laps. It's perfectly fine practise statistically, you just don't like the result you get.

How about this instead:

Break up a lap into say 4 sections. You get that bump in T1 of lap 1. Now you have 11 consecutive perfect sections. The current system doesn't reward this behavior, but I think it's a better way to separate terrible drivers (I think they should also tighten up the boundaries a bit, and tweak contact with walls). As we've seen, it's not easy to have the system place blame on contact, so you can take that (partially) out of the equation, and place the responsibility on the driver to race the rest of the race properly.

Seems like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic to me. If you scale down incidents at the start and end of the race, all you're doing is incentivising people to have incidents during a period where they're already inclined to. You practically guarantee that there's going to be a T1 incident, because there's no punishment for doing so if you run the rest of the race clean.

All you've done is moved the problem out of the rating system and into the race. Imagine if T1 incidents had a quarter of the penalty of incidents for the rest of the race. Carnage.

Forza notices clean passes, and tight drafts; it doesn't do anything with this information, but if GT has access to that sort of information, they can utilize it in the sportsmanship ratings. More data points. More data makes the results more representative of reality.

However, is that data something that counts towards what you're trying to track? Does it incentivise the behaviour that you want it to? My view is that safety rating is about how many incidents you're involved (or not involved) in. Should a clean pass be worth extra, or is that merely the expected behaviour?

I agree with your view on the nature of the races, but disagree with your conclusion, that's why I keep saying their system needs to be scaled. You have to scale your information for your race length because it affects the outcome of your results, and because we've already established it's NOT an accurate representation of how people drive.

Ah, but have we? I'd say that it's an entirely accurate representation of how people drive, it's simply that the players are being placed in situations where safe driving is incredibly difficult and not at all encouraged. But that's the game, and the safety rating is accurately representing that a lot of people are unsafe in these situations.

That's what it's rating, "How often do you get into incidents while playing GTS?" The answer for most people is "a lot". You may think that you or others deserve to be rated more highly, but all it's trying to do is assign you a number so that you can be grouped with other people with similar incident rates.

Without the ability to assign blame in a collision, it's a very inaccurate representation; it's assigning a blind number (blind because it affects all involved parties equally even if the reality is different) to a very subjective event, and in a 3 lap race you don't have nearly the sample size of events to just rely on raw numbers.

This is the downside of any no fault system. It needs dozens of races before it gets anything near accurate. You cannot look at any single race as representative of your overall performance, because it doesn't work that way.

iRacing also has lots of people that complain that they get screwed on individual races. It's missing the point, if you're a consistently clean driver then you'll end up with a high safety rating regardless of the results of any single race. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Yes, people drive hard in the beginning, and the very end. The ones who need to be weeded out are the ones who drive idiotically in the beginning, middle, and end. In a 3 lap race, as you mentioned, 2/3 of the laps overlap. Therefore you need to look at more information, and weight your data.

My point was that in a three lap race, it's all beginning and end. There's no middle. There's not enough time for the cars to space out and settle before it's a dash for the line. 3/3 of the laps overlap. You're either in a pack of cars going three wide, or you're sprinting for the finish line.

Which is stupid, because it ignores a massive part of very interesting racecraft and strategy in motorsport. But that's what the game is, and so that's what you're being rated on.

Besides, people who crash at the start and end of a race are just as annoying as those that crash in the middle. Or at least I find it to be so. I wouldn't support scaling those incidents. If someone crashes me out I don't really care when it happens, I still think that they're a tosspot.

about iracing

in iRacing road side, controller user is almost none. and they force only cockpit cam for everybody. No hood cam , no bumper cam.

so the player only focus on racecraft and clean racing.

I just had mazda mx5 race at laguna at 1000 DR sof, pretty clean and driver try to avoid contacts.

In GTS , it is absolute mess because less precision control by controller user. They are fast but how about braking in time ?

Back markers need to be invisible when lapping them

Not cool being wiped out by a back marker your lapping as they fish tale across the track

I think it is also decent to pull over when the leader has pitted a lap earlier than you and comes out of the pits right behind you. He is now on fresh tires and is clearly much faster than you even without them. Not only is it polite but it is probably better for your overall result to just let him by and drive your race rather then risk him taking you out.

While I might not actively pull over when another car catches me very quickly while I am giving my all, I certainly won't make it difficult for him. Why delay the inevitable and just increase the risk of a crash?

Some interesting points made by both @Imari and @ThaFlash_LA . My biggest takeaway though: I agree with @ThaFlash_LA that the system is punishment based. I'd love to see some positive reinforcements too. Rewards for consecutive laps without going out of bounds, making contact with walls, making contact with other racers, etc. Instead of all negative, add some poisitive. Works with parenting, and training dogs. :lol:

Some interesting points made by both @Imari and @ThaFlash_LA . My biggest takeaway though: I agree with @ThaFlash_LA that the system is punishment based. I'd love to see some positive reinforcements too. Rewards for consecutive laps without going out of bounds, making contact with walls, making contact with other racers, etc. Instead of all negative, add some poisitive. Works with parenting, and training dogs. :lol:

It does congratulate you for a clean race and for consecutive clean races. I always assumed you got more points for that although I do not know for sure. Aside from that though it does seem to be mostly punitive.

Sorry for offending some of you with my opinion.. I forgot it’s 2017 and the millennials know how to ‘feel’ now. #triggered
You could learn something from the millennials, rather than being pissed at them for forcing you to behave like a mindful adult.

Back