Would a real alien please step forward

• Thread starter JacksHerer
  • 41 comments
Ey I love this idea! I'm gonna log there later and set a Yamagiwa lap or something (and steal some replays as well heheh)
I'm not an alien though just an astronaut so don't expect much from my replays :P

@Alpha Cipher The account is only level 1 at the moment, so most tracks aren't unlocked yet.

I figured its's best to find out if this method will enable the transfer of ghosts across multiple PS4 first, before putting too much effort into leveling it up.

If you see if you can load the ghost laps I created on the 1st track, you may need to download them to your PS4 from the library.

@Alpha Cipher The account is only level 1 at the moment, so most tracks aren't unlocked yet.

I figured its's best to find out if this method will enable the transfer of ghosts across multiple PS4 first, before putting too much effort into leveling it up.

If you see if you can load the ghost laps I created on the 1st track, you may need to download them to your PS4 from the library.
Oh okay thanks!

Question about hot laps and/or racing in general, but mainly just about putting down the fastest lap time possible...

Should I at any point be on neither the gas or the brake? Occasionally I find on certain corners I’m coasting, should I at least be 20% throttle or something to increase exit speed? Such a difficult skill for me at times

Question about hot laps and/or racing in general, but mainly just about putting down the fastest lap time possible...

Should I at any point be on neither the gas or the brake? Occasionally I find on certain corners I’m coasting, should I at least be 20% throttle or something to increase exit speed? Such a difficult skill for me at times
It depends on your driving style. My personal style is that I never coast. The train of thought is that for every millisecond I coast, I could've braked later and trail braked instead :)
Although if you watch the Top 10 replays, at least half of the regulars there would beg to differ :lol:

What I suggest you do is to learn how to stop coasting either way, and check where you're more comfortable in :cheers:

Typically, yes, you will have a period of 'coasting'... there are several variables that influence this... the specific car, the specific corner, your brake balance and the way you brake.

Nothing wrong with a small amount of coasting between braking and the apex... what's more important is when you do pick up the throttle you have the absolute minimum steering angle possible, as this allows you to use more throttle.

It depends on your driving style. My personal style is that I never coast. The train of thought is that for every millisecond I coast, I could've braked later and trail braked instead :)
Although if you watch the Top 10 replays, at least half of the regulars there would beg to differ :lol:

What I suggest you do is to learn how to stop coasting either way, and check where you're more comfortable in :cheers:
That’s what I think, surely if I’m coasting I’m losing time but there are certain turns where it feels necessary but I try to put down minimum throttle to help upon exit. As you say @Stotty minimum steering when back on throttle. Trying to ingrain that technique is an art form

Some corners make it almost impossible to trail brake all the way to the apex... in long, fast, constant radius corners for example, it's often better to have a coasting phase than trying to carry more entry speed and bleed it away with trail braking... which just causes understeer.

Sometimes coasting works. Coasting is like a light brake. Very light, but enough to change you car’s balance. It can make you turn in faster than when you’re on throttle. But it depends on the car, track and your driving style. Like in the S at Suzuka, sometimes I coast just enough to change directions, then I’ll get back on throttle. And just before the S at Lago Maggiore and Dragon Trail.

Last edited:
Sometimes coasting works. Coasting is like a light brake. Very light, but enough to change you car’s balance. It can make you turn in faster than when you’re on throttle. But it depends on the car, track and you’re driving style. Like I’m the S at Suzuka, sometimes I coast just enough to change directions, then I’ll get back on throttle.

This 👍

Fundamentally, it's about controlling the weight transfers and using them to you advantage... a short lift is often enough to move the weight and help get the car turned in (particularly with MR cars).

Edit...

A few more thoughts on this…

How a car handles on and off the throttle/brakes will have a big impact on if you need to coast or not. And this is generally driven by where the weight sits within the car…

The weight distribution of MR cars ‘should’ make them want to rotate (turn) more off the throttle (they have a ‘low polar moment of inertia’), and they may turn too much if you trail brake them heavily. So with MR cars, you might use a longer coast.

I say ‘should’ as they don’t necessarily in GTS because of the high +ve rear toe and LSD decel settings all cars have with stock settings. This makes them easy to drive for even inexperienced DS users, but makes them frustratingly dull to drive if you’re a fast wheel user as the settings create a lot of safe understeer.

Front engined cars generally have less natural rotation, so will likely need more trail braking to get them to the apex… so less coasting.

Of course there are no hard/fast rules as GTS is a game and is often well wide of reality!

Last edited:
Back