Would GT6 have sold better on the PS4?

• Yes

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 166 70.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 40 16.9%

• Total voters
I doubt it would have sold better if it came out on PS4. I reckon it'd have helped sell more PS4s but as is the way on this site. People would still complain about it if it was on PS4, maybe more so.

I have no idea, I can't even make a prediction because both consoles have their advantages. The PS3 has a very large user base and people who decided not to move to next gen can still play GT6. On the other hand, if it was released on the PS4, because there are many people that were hyped up and let's be honest, in the gaming world the PS4 vs. Xbox One was the main focus for gamers. So really, I don't know.

Money is the main focus for a lot of people today.. so PS3 existing user base is better in my view.

It would definitely sell consoles but it wouldn't sell better - install base is very important, doubly so when you're dealing with niche games.

I'm unsure. Kinda yes and kinda no. Kinda yes because GT and dem PS4 graphix (wink wink ;)). Kinda no because PS4's price and not much people getting aready to move into next gen.

This question has been asked and asked again. The answer is always install base. It was a pure business decision and frankly, myself and many others would not have bothered with GT6 had it been released on the PS4. That is not an appeal to majority, it is a simple truth in the context of business. Quite literally, you can bank on it. Also, no wheel support as of yet on PS4.

Pretty simple answer.. NO

This is because the user base of each console, PS3 is around the 80 Million figure worldwide where as the PS4 is around 3-4 Million units worldwide. If I were releasing a game I know which of the 2 I would of gone with:D

I have a PS4 here and it hardly gets played at the minute as I am still enjoying games on the PS3, GT6 plays a big part in that.

Has Forza 5 sold as well as Forza 4 did ?

Not possible since it's been extremely difficult to find PS4's. Not to mention the PS4 hasn't released in Japan yet.

They've already sold more PS4's than copies of GT6 and the infamous post launch drought could've been abated somewhat by a Gran Turismo; PS4 owners are dying for some more games.

I voted unsure, some great posts in here already about both sides of the issue. If it were the exact same GT6 but just running at PS4 quality? Probably a no. Exact same GT6 but a bunch of cars dropped to maintain PS4 quality? Certainly not - they've already cut the career mode down by half, so cutting probably all of my favorite cars to drive as well would be a disaster. As it is, I reluctantly bought GT6 after waiting a month for the price to come down, low risk to spend $40 on a game for a console and race rig you already have.

I also didn't go for FM5 because there's no way I'd buy a new console AND a new wheel, for a game that dropped the Nurburgring Nordschleife (plus many other tracks and cars). Both the PS4 and the XBOne are dangerously close to the cost of a spanky new gaming PC... I'm sure a lot of racing gamers are now contemplating moving up to iRacing or rFactor.

In my opinion, no way because of the millions out there who already own a PS3. I hope that we will see some major improvement in all the right areas when GT7 lands but even if these improvements had gone into GT6 instead and it had ended up on PS4, it would not have sold the way GT6 has and will continue to. I know it will be some time before I can justify paying for a PS4.

GT6 on the PS4 would've flopped harder. Besides that it becomes very simple, there's no drivers for wheel users on the new system yet. Everyone would be exclusive to the DS4. Yeah, no.

No way, few people have the PS4 in comparison to the PS3 and also PS4 is not so good because you need to play for the online :indiff:

I say No only because GT6 had content cut to get it out the door and this was on a well established system that PD had previously programmed for so they knew the system well. If PD had pushed development to the PS4 I'm almost sure we would have seen a game with less cars, less tracks and even less content. Add to that no wheel support it would have been a pretty big disappointment & I don't see how the sales would have been astronomically larger on the PS4.

I'm curious. Do go on, I want to know what isn't simplistic reasoning and a nonheavily flawed explanation. Elaborate. :)
Because game sales levels involve more factors than just the install base. Other factors to consider:
1. Less games on a new console means more sold of each game generally speaking relative to the install base. You can see that popular games are selling 1 game for every 2 or 3 PS4's as opposed to 1 game for every 20,30,40+ PS3's. Assassins Creed for example has sold more than half the number of units on PS4 as they have on PS3 even though the install base is 1/15th at best.

2. Longevity. A PS4 game should have better longevity as the install base grows and new buyers are hungry for games. PS3 is being phased out and sales will plummet over the next year.

3. GT6 on PS4 will certainly drive console sales to some degree. Diehard fans will buy the PS4 just because GT6 would have been on it.

Need more?...:lol:

Everything else, obviously.
That's it? You're unable to present after such a post, comical I must say.

Because game sales levels involve more factors than just the install base. Other factors to consider:
1. Less games on a new console means more sold of each game generally speaking relative to the install base. You can see that popular games are selling 1 game for every 2 or 3 PS4's as opposed to 1 game for every 20,30,40+ PS3's. Assassins Creed for example has sold more than half the number of units on PS4 as they have on PS3 even though the install base is 1/15th at best.

2. Longevity. A PS4 game should have better longevity as the install base grows and new buyers are hungry for games. PS3 is being phased out and sales will plummet over the next year.

3. GT6 on PS4 will certainly drive console sales to some degree. Diehard fans will buy the PS4 just because GT6 would have been on it.

Need more?...:lol:
Thanks for answering the other fella whom was unable to answer after an aggressive post.

Good points. But, us wheel users, such as myself, would be purely left in the dark as a result. I simply can't play GT without my wheel set. I say this because it'd be Xbone/FM5 all over again. Look how many crushed Fanatec users are now that their current wheel isn't supported on the new system. Our investments that equal or exceed the new systems would be dust collectors, unless they had the alternative to also use them for PC.

Racing games simply don't sell well, they're not FPS' or Adventure games. They never will be and there's always only a handful of them. Besides that GT6 is at most simple, rests on GT5's foundation - the build already existed on the PS3. It makes sense - all the support is already there. All this sales talk though, People buy GT because it's GT. And no matter the what the community rests their ideals on. That's also at most simple, a fact.

Look at it this way. Forza5 has not sold remotely even close what GT6 has. Roughly also fact.

Thanks for answering the other fella whom was unable to answer after an aggressive post.

Good points. But, us wheel users, such as myself, would be purely left in the dark as a result. I simply can't play GT without my wheel set. I say this because it'd be Xbone/FM5 all over again. Look how many crushed Fanatec users are now that their current wheel isn't supported on the new system. Our investments that equal or exceed the new systems would be dust collectors, unless they had the alternative to also use them for PC.

Racing games simply don't sell well, they're not FPS' or Adventure games. They never will be and there's always only a handful of them. Besides that GT6 is at most simple, rests on GT5's foundation - the build already existed on the PS3. It makes sense - all the support is already there. All this sales talk though, People buy GT because it's GT. And no matter the what the community rests their ideals on. That's also at most simple, a fact.

Look at it this way. Forza5 has not sold remotely even close what GT6 has. Roughly also fact.
Just preempting your strawman arguments, that's all. No offence intended.

Good points, but you'd have to presume they wouldn't launch on PS4 until they had at least some wheel support. Remember too, only 25% of GT players use wheels (saw that somewhere but I don't have a link sorry) so you're losing 25% of your audience and you'd have to assume at least some of them would buy the game anyway if they had the console.

I know Logitech is out of the wheel business at this point, but if I were PD, I'd be in touch with them and get whatever technical data I needed and pay for it if I had to, to make the current Logitech wheels compatible with GT7. I'll have to think twice before investing in GT7 if my G27 isn't supported. It'll be close to a $1000 investment to play GT7 if I have to buy a new wheel and it's certainly not worth that much to me and I suspect a lot of others.

Sony/PD risked alienating thousands of users if they had released on PS4. Then adding micro transactions too?
The extra cash spent on the PS4 plus introduction of paying for credits would have caused large numbers of gamers to be completely turned off. I have plenty of friends now who are resisting buying the game. They are happy to play GT5 until the servers go dark.:cool:

Perhaps the only upside to releasing on the PS4 would have been expanding the working memory and computing power the next-gen platform offers. But as someone pointed out, there is no wheel or (as I found out) wireless head phone support for the PS4 yet. Personally, I paid $100.00 (99.55) for a Sony wireless multi format (5.1/7.1) head phones.
They will not work with the PS4. And I have only COD and BF4 to play on the "4".:irked:

So Sony did the right thing releasing on the PS3. Even though the lack of memory/computing power is causing (IMO) the hold up with DLC and features. PD has to be careful that adding features and even tracks won't cause game play to collapse. So they are cautious and slow about releasing new features.

By releasing GT6 on PS3, they kept their fan base happy by not forcing them to buy a new platform.
And they maintained the gamer’s anticipation about how much better the game would be on PS4.

This is just my opinion.

Good points, but you'd have to presume they wouldn't launch on PS4 until they had at least some wheel support. Remember too, only 25% of GT players use wheels (saw that somewhere but I don't have a link sorry) so you're losing 25% of your audience and you'd have to assume at least some of them would buy the game anyway if they had the console.

I know Logitech is out of the wheel business at this point, but if I were PD, I'd be in touch with them and get whatever technical data I needed and pay for it if I had to, to make the current Logitech wheels compatible with GT7. I'll have to think twice before investing in GT7 if my G27 isn't supported. It'll be close to a $1000 investment to play GT7 if I have to buy a new wheel and it's certainly not worth that much to me and I suspect a lot of others.

I think/hope PD can port the current firmware compatibility over to the PS4 and maintain Logitech wheel support.
But you never know. One thing is for sure, there will be some bargains on G27/25 here in the near future.

Although I am fascinated by Fanatec products, no way would I buy anything but peddles from them.
And no way would I invest in the Thrustmaster wheel.
Gotta figure PD knows bread and butter is DFGT, G27/G25 and club sport peddles.

But as someone pointed out, there is no wheel or (as I found out) wireless head phone support for the PS4 yet. Personally, I paid $100.00 (99.55) for a Sony wireless multi format (5.1/7.1) head phones.
They will not work with the PS4.
The Sony Pulses Gold & Elite do work now to my knowledge. That was the latest update. 👍

You say the ps3 user base is larger than the Ps4 which of course it is at the moment but one needs to remember that the ps4 console has out sold the game gt6 hands down and many ps4 owners want a racing title , I personally think GT6 didn't go the way of the ps4 for two reasons first being its simply not good enough , I have a ps4 and gt6 looks prehistoric in terms of graphical quality compared to what ps4 games ive played and second to give drive club a chance to shine which im sure it will

I was lucky enough to try the demo of drive club and I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at just how good it is also it doesn't feel like a arcade style racer , from my short play time it difinitely felt more sim and graphically it blows GT6 out of the water yet another reason GT6 couldn't be released on the Ps4 it would of embarrassed its self and thats not a dig at the game its simply stating a fact imho.

I found these numbers (sourced form http://www.vgchartz.com/) interesting in relation to this discussion -

COD-Ghosts PS4 sales - 1.77 million (34.98% of PS4 install base)

COD-Ghosts PS3 sales - 7.32 million (8.87% of PS3 install base)

I'm not sure what you can take from the above, but it does illustrate my main point to a certain degree - the large install base/large sales argument may not currently be as relevant as it can sometimes be. The slow phasing out of the PS3 while the PS4 is introduced makes any kind of prediction/assumption extremely dubious, as I think Sony is finding out with GT6.

GT6 would have sold better if they had actually addressed some of the issues from GT5 (ie. sound, AI, course maker, standard model cars etc.).

I think a lot of people have just run out of patience

Latest Posts

Back