• Yes

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 166 70.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 40 16.9%

• Total voters
machschnel
When I heard the news that GT6 would be released on PS3, I thought it a masterstroke on Sony's behalf - why wouldn't you release the sequel to the 2nd highest selling PS3 game ever on a console with a massive install base? Especially when you consider the alternative was to release it on the PS4, a console full of unknowns.

But looking at the, quite frankly, poor sales for GT6 so far I'm beginning to think maybe a PS4 release would have seen higher sales for Sony. I feel GT6 on PS4 would have already smashed the mark set by GT6 on PS3 but not necessarily because it would have been a better game - there's just not really much else to play on the PS4 at the moment.

Seeing how something like Killzone managed more than 2 million (Basically one copy per two PS4 owners), I wouldn't be surprised if Gran Turismo went for 3 millions plus. Early adopters don't have many games to play and having pretty cars to look at with good replayability would do wonders for sales.

I have no idea, I can't even make a prediction because both consoles have their advantages. The PS3 has a very large user base and people who decided not to move to next gen can still play GT6. On the other hand, if it was released on the PS4, because there are many people that were hyped up and let's be honest, in the gaming world the PS4 vs. Xbox One was the main focus for gamers. So really, I don't know.

No. The PS3 has much, much more of a consumer base right now.

Ironically, it being on the PS3 has hurt the sales, seeing how GT6 was released really close to the release of the PS4. GT6 went completely under the radar amidst the PS4 hype.

If they had released GT6 on PS4 in tuls have been one less GT6 sold. Can't really afford to buy PS4 yet and PS3 works just fine. There is not even that many games on PS4 anyway.

Also, already mentioned, PS3 has lot bigger consumer base.

I appreciate I'm just one man, and therefore make no claim to being representative, but here's my story. I pre-ordered my PS4 back in Feb 2013 on the night it became available to do so. Yet I didn't hesitate for a second to pre-order GT6. I would hardly consider myself an absolute GT fanboy - I'm not yet qualified for the GT Planet online race series, for example. However, GT6, for all it's imperfections, is certainly responsible for the fact I've spent 80:20 more time on my PS3 compared with the PS4, even though I had a shiny new PS4 turn up on launch day.

Everyone's experience is unique. All I can say is I reckon I've maintained my 200% consecutive day log-in bonus for most of the last two months, and that's because of everything that's kept me playing: to progress through the Career mode, participate in the Seasonals, enjoy the free, new cars and generally investigate the depths of the dealership.

For the initial purchase price of £44.99, I'd count that as spectacular value for money. It equates to one visit to the cinema per month, and that's 6 hours versus 55+ and counting. Seems like great value to me.

So, in response to the title of this thread, what could PD have reasonably expected to do differently?… especially with the wonderful new environmental graphics, suspension and tire modelling, even though 'yes' it's not yet perfect? I for one am not in the least dissatisfied, plus there's all the new content and features to come. Yes, it may not be spot-on yet (and how would you define that?) but I'm certainly glad I'm playing it now and not waiting, like those waiting for Drive Club and The Crew, the latter of which today has been delayed yet again today. Those who own GT5 and haven't bought GT6 are simply missing out I reckon. Happy racing to all! :cheers:

Considering the bigger picture than just short term sales numbers, IMHO it was a masterstroke to release GT6 on PS3 rather than the PS4.

It's not just the huge PS3 user base, it's also that PD was able to avoid a rushed development of GT for a new platform.

Look at what happened to Forza/Turn 10 as a result of rushing FM5 to make the release day of Xbox One. FM5 apparently produces very pretty graphics, and if ForzaVista is the main thing to float your boat, then it's very attractive. However, to make the date, Turn 10 had to strip out cars, tracks and functionality. And they failed to fix some glaring design issues such as the inability to tune in a lobby.

Over at ForzaMotorsport.Net they have a Forza 5 Wishlist thread, and it's full of things that used to be in previous Forza games.

Here is a sample copy/paste. I would not be happy with so many things falling off the bus:-
(there may be some duplicates)
  • Auction House,
  • Storefront
  • gifting
  • a way to sell cars back to the game
  • Replays (used to have)
  • Save lobby settings (used to have)
  • Show an icon for purchased cars (used to have)
  • Get the distance meter working (used to have)
  • Show the best lap in a session. Splits don't do much good without knowing what the time is that's being split off of. (used to have)
  • Current session ghosts in rivals (used to have)
  • Tuning within the rivals menu back (used to have)
  • Easier way to see tunes and paints that I have created and shared (used to have)
  • A way to see all of what someone I like or follow has shared (used to have)
  • Dump the invite system for lobby racing. Nothing was wrong with the way it was (used to have)
  • Local leaderboards because it seems everyone has wanted it back for 6 years (used to have)
  • Custom public lobbies (used to have)
  • Club garage or a shared garage. We can't gift cars, why can't we share them? (used to have).
  • Tuning while in test drive mode like it used to be
  • Bring back unicorns. Just 3 like we used to have, but something to work for if you're community focused and enjoy the forums
  • Nurburgring back please
  • Fujimi kaido back please
  • Maple Valley back please
  • More space for replays, i mean come one, i can only save 10 replays? How big are those files?
  • Bring back all the garage filters we had in FM4 (Body Family, Model, Make, Aspiration, Cylinders, etc.)
  • Distance meter as it was in FM4
  • Save replays of online races
  • Spectate online races
  • Telemetry while viewing replays
  • World leaderboards as they were in FM4
  • When buying cars, an indicator showing if you already own one.

The smaller PS4 user base coupled with the likely decrease in content due to the higher standards most people would have had with the PS4 being superior hardware, I'd have to say no, no it wouldn't have.

The smaller PS4 user base coupled with the likely decrease in content due to the higher standards most people would have had with the PS4 being superior hardware, I'd have to say no, no it wouldn't have.
Correct and on top of that, if GT6 was released in December 2013, you would have most likely have had the same game you have now, with less cars and better graphics.

I bought a PS2 to play GT4. I bought a PS3 to play GT5.
I'm quite happy to have bought GT6 without having to buy a console to play it on at the same time.

But isn't the rule : Odd (Numbered) GT are on new consoles? Even (Numbered) GT's are Polished Evolutions of the previous Odd (Numbered) GT game?

Correct and on top of that, if GT6 was released in December 2013, you would have most likely have had the same game you have now, with less cars and better graphics.

How so? I was under the impression that Premium cars/tracks were future proof (as mentioned in an interview, here). So really, we would have the same amount of premiums as we do right now, in return most of the assets will still be usable on the PS4.

OT, I really think it would have sold better on the PS4. Sure there are the few that don't have the money for a new console but that's not the majority, so user base doesn't really hold that much in this case. So sure they'd have better sales figures (in theory) from the PS3 but how many of those are not satisfied to enjoying the game minus the short comings? I'd say a fifty fifty split.

Last edited:
GT6 wouldn't be the game we have now on the ps3 as it would of been on the ps4. If GT had to be a launch game it would be a stripped down game compared to the game we enjoy now. I hope over the course of the next two years people purchase GT6 in large numbers and enjoy the game as it has finally made my ps3 purchase a worthwhile investment, FINALLY!

How so? I was under the impression that Premium cars/tracks were future proof (as mentioned in an interview, here). So really, we would have the same amount of premiums as we do right now, in return most of the assets will still be usable on the PS4.

OT, I really think it would have sold better on the PS4. Sure there are the few that don't have the money for a new console but that's not the majority, so user base doesn't really hold that much in this case. So sure they'd have better sales figures (in theory) from the PS3 but how many of those are not satisfied to enjoying the game minus the short comings? I'd say a fifty fifty split.

You'd have less cars because I don't think even PD would have the nerve to put the standards on a PS4. I highly doubt they'd devote all their modelling time to premiumizing the existing standards, so most of them would disappear. Hence, less cars.

Sales are way way down on PS3 with a massive install base. The same game with less cars on PS4 with a relatively miniscule install base means far, far less sales.

I consider GT6 a real bargain because I didn't had to buy any new hardware. And I am not only talking about a new console - also a good wheel. That is why I abandoned the Forza series - I am not willing to buy a new console AND a new wheel (again) for just one new game.

Sales are way way down on PS3 with a massive install base. The same game with less cars on PS4 with a relatively miniscule install base means far, far less sales.

I don't think it's as simple as smaller install base = smaller sales.

How much has that massive PS3 install base helped GT6 sales, especially when you consider the sales of some current PS4 titles that have never before competed with Gran Turismo sales wise. Games like Killzone aren't selling more than GT6 because they are better quality games or because of a massive install base - they are selling better because early adopters of the PS4 are happy to play anything at the moment.

I think a lot of us (me included) would have skipped GT6 on PS4, but for everyone of us there is a PS4 owner desperate for a car game to play. While I agree with you that the games overall quality would have suffered, it still would have been one of the best games on the rather paltry PS4 roster.

I would say sales would be lower on the PS4. I also think they made the correct choice to release now on the PS3 and plan for GT7 in 2015. I am just hoping that we get those club and community features soon and also hope they manage to get the track and car dlc pumped out like they indicated before release.

If it had been released on the PS4 then I may have bought a PS4 but then again I would have had to see the game first, as is I would not have bought a PS4 to play it on even if all the cars were premium.

I have also played Forza a lot over the years but I passed on FM5 and the XB1.

I don't think it's as simple as smaller install base = smaller sales.

How much has that massive PS3 install base helped GT6 sales, especially when you consider the sales of some current PS4 titles that have never before competed with Gran Turismo sales wise. Games like Killzone aren't selling more than GT6 because they are better quality games or because of a massive install base - they are selling better because early adopters of the PS4 are happy to play anything at the moment.

I think a lot of us (me included) would have skipped GT6 on PS4, but for everyone of us there is a PS4 owner desperate for a car game to play. While I agree with you that the games overall quality would have suffered, it still would have been one of the best games on the rather paltry PS4 roster.

According to VGChartz, GT6 has outsold every single PS4 game so far. It is possible PS4 users might be so desperate for a car game they'd buy GT6 just because, but you'd have to have a heck of a lot of people buying it just for the heck of it to come close to the 1.8 million+ units they've sold already. But you never know...:sly:

Last edited:
No, if GT6 would be the way it is now.
Maybe, if GT6 didn't leave behind any GT5 features.
Yes, if GT6 had GT5 features + the features that were suppose to be new to GT6.

Last edited:
I think so.
console userbase isnt very important for a hardcore game like GT. in short terms, GT6 on PS3 sells better. but in long terms, it could sell better on PS4. and don't forget, GT games have long legs. like GT5 that sells 5,6 million in first months and it reached 10,11 million in the end.
GT3 sells better than GT1 & GT2 with much much less consoles when released.
GT5 sells near GT4, but PS3s were half of PS2s at that time.
We have more examples. a game like Dead Rising 3 is selling good on X1 and it has a lower metascore than previous games with millions of Xbox 360s in the market. Killzone: Shadowfall didnt receive good scores compare to KZ2,3 but it sells very well & ...
There arent many great games on a new console and a game like GT can sell easily in that situataion.

Last edited:
I think it would have. IMO, a lot of people have passed on GT6 because they are waiting for it to come out on the next gen console. IMO, not offering GT6 on the PS4 was a HUGE mistake on Sony's part.

Would GT6 have sold better on the PS4?

Maybe.... I guess not because there are way less PS4's.
But that is the only reason I can think of.

Doesn't say anything about how it would have been received by the audience.
Probably worse (looking at the state the AI is in for example)

I think it would have. IMO, a lot of people have passed on GT6 because they are waiting for it to come out on the next gen console. IMO, not offering GT6 on the PS4 was a HUGE mistake on Sony's part.

Waiting is a key word here - In this part of Germany at least it is currently not possible to buy a PS4 for the normal designated price since they are still sold out (you'll find overpriced offers online, though). The big electronics sellers don't know when to expect new stock. So for me at least, a good GT on PS4 would be an exercise in patience.

I think it was the right decision to release GT6 on PS3, and not just for this reason.

NO, because it never will come out on PS4 as it is... its purely a PS3 development ... its just the second release of GT on the third console ....

GT7 will sell better on PS4 ... because its already 3 years in development ...

Personally I'm glad that they stick to the format of having 2 GT games per console. GT6 is an upgraded version of GT5 (well. once they update the game with B spec and track creator) and because of that didn't take them too long to release.

I reckon if they would have released this on PS4 in such short time frame it would have had very low standards, perhaps it would have been an upgraded port? I still remember how long it took them to create the PS3 version from scratch.. took them years! If I have learned anything about PDI is that they care about quality and are really not interested in rushing things, go for the fast money and basically rip us off.

The big question is.. should you be happy if PDI would have decided go for the easy money rather than delivering quality? I rather wait for a solid PS4 version and in the mean time enjoy GT6 on the good old PS3.

@ULTRAVIOLENZZ It would be awesome if they create a Vita version but I think they have given up on that idea :(

Latest Posts

Back