would it LITERALLY KILL the Polyphony developers to start us in any place other than last?

• Thread starter Pizzapants
  • 224 comments
United States
United States
I seriously can't remember a single race where we aren't slotted in last place and tasked with making up a 30 second + deficit. Why is this the ONLY race type?

Is it really that impossible for these programmers to develop a competitive, balanced race without that lazy crutch?

Are they really that incompetent? Or is it someone at the top of the management chain that's responsible for such an outlandishly moronic decision?

Why not a race type where the AI has to walk us down over time instead? Or one where (gasp) everyone is evenly matched and it's a true dogfight to the finish?

I fear the answer is just they aren't skilled enough to code such a thing. Rabbit races are literally all they are capable of. Sad and disgraceful.

Last edited:
Or... Make events where we have to qualify for your starting position just like in Sports mode.
off topic but, excluding championship races, even sports mode qualifying isn't really qualifying. it's retry retry retry retry while driving at 200% risk for a time that lasts the whole week.

still, it's another day on a thread with people uphappy with the AI. sophy AI will fix it guys.. I promise..

You nailed it. It turns out that the contracts Polyphony has with it's employees has a clause where they accept that they will be ritually disemboweled with a rusty driveshaft if they even consider starting the player in any place other than last.

Ironically, by you making this thread you've raised the probability that the few devs that read this forum will inadvertently think about doing something different and therefore consign themselves to a gruesome death.

#SaveTheDevs. Don't talk about the Position-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.
I fear the answer is just they aren't skilled enough to code such a thing. Rabbit races are literally all they are capable of. Sad and disgraceful.
Nah. All the pieces to put together a solid race are there throughout the rest of the game, they just don't get brought together. They could have decent racing with no additional technology than what is currently in GT7.

It's intentional on the part of the people designing the game, which ultimately probably means Kaz. They want it this way. Which I think is more sad and disgraceful, but that's just me. There's nothing innately wrong with not being great at something, we all have to learn somewhere. But there is something pretty distasteful about being intentionally bad.

off topic but, excluding championship races, even sports mode qualifying isn't really qualifying. it's retry retry retry retry while driving at 200% risk for a time that lasts the whole week.
Yes, that's true. But for me at least it would be better than starting every race at the back as it is right now.

We all know they will never do this, but they can make it like real world qualifying. Sessions with time limits to "practice" and 3 attempts for a flying lap or so.

One (or more?) of the older games had qualifying IIRC. Can’t remember which one.

And it’s quite a while ago, so I can’t remember whether it worked well or not. Obviously Kaz and co decided at some point that it doesn’t work.

But grid starts really do work. When the servers were down I did a few custom races with grid starts and they turned out to be some of the most enjoyable moments I’ve had in the game. It felt like racing.

It’s just one of those PD things. No logic, and we’re seemingly stuck with it.

I seriously can't remember a single race where we aren't slotted in last place and tasked with making up a 30 second + deficit. Why is this the ONLY race type?

Is it really that impossible for these programmers to develop a competitive, balanced race without that lazy crutch?

Are they really that incompetent? Or is it someone at the top of the management chain that's responsible for such an outlandishly moronic decision?

Why not a race type where the AI has to walk us down over time instead? Or one where (gasp) everyone is evenly matched and it's a true dogfight to the finish?

I dont understand.... Are you talking about single player mode?
AI is to fast for you?

I done some nice races against ai. Is not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than GT sport.
And they are still working on it in a good way.
Like before the update, the ai in the 30 minuten le mans race the ai would completely slow down in the final chicane. After, they go with a normal pace.
I seen ai defent, attack, and give you room in corners. And yes, there is still ai that dont react to anything.
But every update there is improvement.

I’ve never had what I would consider a race against the AI. I just end up ramming into the back of them constantly and it gets frustrating. Might as well put stationary objects littered about the track to avoid. The much heralded chilli pepper races just make them go a bit quicker before the bits where they come to a halt for no apparent reason.

I’ve never had what I would consider a race against the AI. I just end up ramming into the back of them constantly and it gets frustrating. Might as well put stationary objects littered about the track to avoid. The much heralded chilli pepper races just make them go a bit quicker before the bits where they come to a halt for no apparent reason.

That's what i said in my example.
Sometimes they pile up. But PD is working on that.
And first race, they can surprise you, but after that, you know where they go slow, so there is no reason to bump in to them.

Last edited:
And first race, they can surprise you, but after that, you know where they go slow, so there is no reason to bump in to them.

Yes, but for example if you do one hour at Spa, it's genuinely difficult to avoid the AI through places like Eau Rogue where they break a lot for absolutely no reason. Unless of course you end up going slow yourself or just take the penalty for going off track

Outside of the cafe races I had to do to unlock tracks I’ve never done more than one lap against the AI. I’ve tried a couple of times when I needed credits but gave up as they were so slow and useless

Sometimes AI just goes "ah, chill, no need to rush", and then suddenly, after 2 laps of running the engine on idle "oh, missing my next appointment, need to hurry now".

Well, I don't find starting from behind that bad, you find your way through the AI and that's it, since they drive very predictably anyway, it's relatively easy. And for my part, I can't understand when you complain about the AI bombing you off the track.... The AI drives its line at its speed and if you don't try to overtake it with wallt and in a curve braking doesn't do anything either. However, if you sit in front of a car in a curve with a dive bomb, as is sometimes common in sport mode, and hope the overtaken one brakes so as not to drive into it... well, THAT'S NOT WORKING!

The alternative would be.... a significantly stronger and faster AI that also drives much more aggressively in the race to be halfway a challenge.... Then the same people who are complaining now would whine around as well.

I can live with either, although I would prefer "a real race" with all the trimmings, but it is what it is.

The AI is the worst I have seen in any top level racing game I have played. It's truly worthless. Also pretty much every race event in the game has absolutely no bearing on real world motorsport. It's always a last to first challenge. Coming from a developer who cherishes real world events so much it's like some kind of bad joke. Something is rotten at PD as the direction this game has gone in beggars belief.

Sometimes AI just goes "ah, chill, no need to rush", and then suddenly, after 2 laps of running the engine on idle "oh, missing my next appointment, need to hurry now".

They're stuck behind the Alfa. The AI have the overtaking capabilities of a baked bean so instead of going around they just hold speed behind it until they "find" a way past.

Do a race with damage or a multiclass one, AI will get stuck behind slower cars for about half the track (if not more) before randomly overtaking. Completely ruins any fun you can have with either of those options.

But grid starts really do work. When the servers were down I did a few custom races with grid starts and they turned out to be some of the most enjoyable moments I’ve had in the game. It felt like racing.

It’s just one of those PD things. No logic, and we’re seemingly stuck with it.
Only problem is, AI in Custom Races only use 90-95% throttle. You'll fly past them on any straight like they're standing still, completely destroying the experience. Did a 6-lap race at Le Mans using a full grid of F1500T-A's, and quit out by the middle of the 3rd lap because I was already 12-15 seconds ahead of P2, and kept gaining. On Professional Difficulty no less.

Why are there 3 sets of AI behavior? You have the standard race AI, the chili race AI which is a bit more aggressive, and then the Custom Race AI that seemingly forgets it's in a race half the time. Complete nonsense.

They're stuck behind the Alfa. The AI have the overtaking capabilities of a baked bean so instead of going around they just hold speed behind it until they "find" a way past.

Do a race with damage or a multiclass one, AI will get stuck behind slower cars for about half the track (if not more) before randomly overtaking. Completely ruins any fun you can have with either of those options.
The POV car (not player) wasnt actually stuck as far as any possible line goes but was swimming with the rest for whatever reason.
Yes, these things happen quite often, and the only solution for custom races is to place the ones that are fast at the front, because on lapping this doesnt happen for anywhere close the same time of

Well, I don't find starting from behind that bad, you find your way through the AI and that's it, since they drive very predictably anyway, it's relatively easy. And for my part, I can't understand when you complain about the AI bombing you off the track.... The AI drives its line at its speed and if you don't try to overtake it with wallt and in a curve braking doesn't do anything either. However, if you sit in front of a car in a curve with a dive bomb, as is sometimes common in sport mode, and hope the overtaken one brakes so as not to drive into it... well, THAT'S NOT WORKING!

The alternative would be.... a significantly stronger and faster AI that also drives much more aggressively in the race to be halfway a challenge.... Then the same people who are complaining now would whine around as well.

I can live with either, although I would prefer "a real race" with all the trimmings, but it is what it is.
Well spoken. 👍👍
And what ppl forget, its an developing game.
Side note: Iff you already lapped all cars at half the race,..... get out of that OP car.... 😉

Don't promise things that are 100% not going to happen :dunce:
yeah I was referring to some threads several months back before release that were talking about how the AI looks really poor based on trailers, and that if indeed sophy AI is released later in the game people would have lost any energy they have to bother with the game at all. so it's sarcasm

what a massive surprise that sophy AI was an expensive and pointless marketing effort that, even if it was implemented, no one including myself would want to race against it because it took lines which utilised the pit lane and drifted across curbs putting 3 tyres on the grass amongst other things, and was also a whole 1+ second faster than the fastest drivers in the world. any competent AI would have more than sufficed, but PD / Sony (it does not matter) have the ego of the titantic, talking about "what it means to be human". we're not reading foucault here we're playing a game

the AI as it stands are so stupidly easy in some cases, and in other cases like the Group 1 final menu book ones, you need to have the right car - you can't just pick any group 1 car. It feels pointless to even make an effort, because if you're going faster then the AI will go faster too. winning in the game is all about knowledge of it's illogical internal logic, an ego-fueled waste of money and time. sorry to rant it just makes me angry. got my platinum from daily race A and PC parts arrived in the mail this morning..

Last edited:
The thing is, they are capable of making grid races like the Clubman Club at Tsukuba.

I don't know why they don't make all of the races like that lmao
It is because the only way they can make the AI compete is by cheating.

Back