Would the ability to change the drive-train in a car benefit the drifting community?

• Thread starter Willfred_1
  • 40 comments

would it benefit the community

• yes

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • no

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
somerset, England
Willfred_1
Would the ability to change the drive-train in a car benefit the drifting community?
As many people in RL, do drive train swaps to allow for scooby's and r32's to drift in comps. (There are even some in the d1.)
As this could potentially could create a bigger drift community and increase the variety of common drift cars.

P.S. I am fully aware of the Awd rules and I do not wish for this locked due to this question could backfire on me. I am also aware of wish list threads and could not find a thread on this subject (related to drifting) when searching.

It's an interesting topic; not least because the Tune Shop mistakenly informs the user that the ACD can be set to 100% rear bias, even though it maxes out at 90% on every car.

It certainly would be handy; not just for drifting, but taking one more step towards realism in regards to converting cars to race duty, since most governing bodies bar AWD from entering. It's an easy one going from AWD -> FR, but PD could run into problems by allowing other sorts of swaps; while it's possible to have things like FR Integras and MR Minis running around out in the real world, and anything's possible with enough money and time, it'd seem a bit unfair (and unrealistic) to just press a button and have a converted MR Del Sol running around ;).

This coming from someone who's never done any serious drifting, just prefers a car with a slight oversteer attitude and definitely likes a loose-handling car for photo mode. So YMMV :)

yes. R32's can drift stock (GTS-T are RWD standard).

Id like to see more evo's and scoobys etc drifting properly in both GT5 and real life drifting. Also with the likes of most of the current drift cars getting old, and modern manufacturers seeming reluctant to make any worthwhile rwd front engined cars i think this may be one of the only ways to do it.

my main point is allowing for the torque distributer, to go to 100% on the rear as many people like to drift premium cars and I would like see R32 gtr's and evo's sideways and competing

I would see alot more posts in SYDC and more tuning thread questions but really I don't see it helping the community. Just making it more fun for the drifters.

That's a silly question really, of course it would benefit us. More variety is always a good thing. If it was somehow updated into the game tomorrow, a RWD R35 would be first on my list. 👍

hell yes, i want so many 4wd cars for be converted to rwd. that being said, i wonder how the gtr would drift rwd

Converting AWD to RWD is cool and all but I wanna put a V8 in a Mazda Miata, come on now you know you wanna try it... Or a Hayabusa engine in a Cappuccino. Let's do some swaps....

I still remember hybrids from GT4. My rb25 powered silvia :) 👍

SAYYYY What??

But my idea would be like say to RM cars and I guess drivetrain swap or engine swap. Everything has a base amount $ but it takes say 1 or 2 weeks in game time to finish (Instead of drive in a garage and come out backwards and race ready in 30 seconds) but you can shell out more and get it with a click of a button. IDK its just a idea kinda like real life. Haha

Yes. I would like a front-wheel drive premium Mustang GT. Maybe that way, it wouldn't understeer so much.

But seriously, it would be nice to have the option for 100% differential control. While it won't turn all AWD cars into drift-monsters, at least it will make some of the better ones viable for tandems and competitions... though the filters will still see the car as an AWD, won't they?

Even more interesting if you could do AWD drivetrain swaps into other cars, though we all know what a mess that would make of the racing side of the game...

PD and turn 10 should make a game together. With Forzas high fps and customisation and engine/drivetrain swaps along with Gran Turismos awesome graphics and physics they'd rule the earth.

Well I'll keep dreaming.

If they did do sensible drive train swaps it might allow for more drift cars.
But engine swaps you need to be careful as you have to be realistic how ever it is possible to put the clio v6 into a volvo 340 and a mr2 lump into a miata but if pd do it they would have to do a lot of research
Back on to the awd-Rwd just seen a scooby and a evo also a lot of R34s skyline in this years d1gp.

Last edited:
AP1 engine inside a 240sx...
Though now it seems you guys want an engine swap as a option instead of Drivetrain. Please do not make this a wishlist thread.

Well, the possibility to customize parts themselves, and swap EVERY BIT of the cars, or better = The shells. Inside and Outside!

I would give up 50 gig of space in my ps3 to see that thing! Damn, it would be the BEST game EVER.

the ability for a 0/100 awd split, i think is vital to add to benefit the drifting community. In turn i feel it is vital to gt5 as a whole as there is an actual drift mode w/in the game. there is no denying that rwd converted awd cars are very effective in drifting comps worldwide, and as far as i know the only game i've played to get it right in that sense was tokyo extreme racer drift 2, which allowed most of its awd cars the ability to completely disconnect the front driveshafts(can you imagine drift converted 323 gtxs and celicas, i have) as far as engine swaps, i'm all for it with a bit of discretion..everyone loves an ls swapped 240 or rx7 but i feel to remain true to the product provided, engine swaps should be limited to the same manufacturer(sr for rb or 13b for 20b or 3sgte for 1jz). i also feel that those swaps should be limited to what has been proven to fit w/out having to heavily modify the subframe or engine bay, while it would make the swaps a bit more generic, it would at least provide some uniformity to what is created, and in its performance afterwards...anything beyond that seems to stray into forza territory(w/ rwd swapped preludes and such:tdown:).

I think For all communities drifting or hardcore racers the ability to change the drive-train to make a replica of a real life cars performance or to have it for the sake of fun is a great idea. For instance, the subaru wrx Sti's are amazing cars and I cannot comprehend how much fun it would be if it was rwd :D.

In other words, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel yeah It would make the drifting community more vibrant and more people would want to drift. Plus, there are many badass drift cards in gt5 that would be amazing if rwd.

the ability for a 0/100 awd split, i think is vital to add to benefit the drifting community. In turn i feel it is vital to gt5 as a whole as there is an actual drift mode w/in the game. there is no denying that rwd converted awd cars are very effective in drifting comps worldwide, and as far as i know the only game i've played to get it right in that sense was tokyo extreme racer drift 2, which allowed most of its awd cars the ability to completely disconnect the front driveshafts(can you imagine drift converted 323 gtxs and celicas, i have) as far as engine swaps, i'm all for it with a bit of discretion..everyone loves an ls swapped 240 or rx7 but i feel to remain true to the product provided, engine swaps should be limited to the same manufacturer(sr for rb or 13b for 20b or 3sgte for 1jz). i also feel that those swaps should be limited to what has been proven to fit w/out having to heavily modify the subframe or engine bay, while it would make the swaps a bit more generic, it would at least provide some uniformity to what is created, and in its performance afterwards...anything beyond that seems to stray into forza territory(w/ rwd swapped preludes and such:tdown:).

most drift cars have the whole car modified an changed anyway.. the Driftworks S15 has had the front firewall moved, mounts moved down and rearwards bay around 2FT the engine and geabox down and backwards 2 ft leaving room for masive radiators and inter and oil coolers at the front but out of the crash structure...making a worthy drift car takes alot of work..

I still don't get the outrage many feel towards AWD drifting. If you are set up at 90/10 on your settings it's all good to me because I'm trying to get real good, and maybe theres a minor advantage for AWD cars but not enough to start complaining or moaning about it.

Back