Would you pay for a DLC track pack and what would it have to contain?

• Thread starter Oswald07
  • 43 comments
Canada
Canada
Oswal07
I've been enjoying GTS since it released. Since then it has cost me nothing and I haven't even bought many other games. So if they offered Silverstone, Laguna, Spa, and some of the old classics for $20 I'd buy it in a second. What tracks would you need in the pack and for how much?

I've been enjoying GTS since it released. Since then it has cost me nothing and I haven't even bought many other games. So if they offered Silverstone, Laguna, Spa, and some of the old classics for $20 I'd buy it in a second. What tracks would you need in the pack and for how much?

Shhhhh, somebody at PD might hear you.

It'd have to be something 100% incompatible with Sport Mode. Otherwise, it'd run the risk of excluding players, especially in any championship races, or any additional campaign mode events. So maybe Complex String in that case, haha!

I think I'd want to see tracks at about $3 a pop, so maybe a $10 for 3 or a $15 for 5, maybe even for a bonus $20 for 8. I definitely echo some of the sentiments of splitting the fanbase, so maybe a DLC pack could be originals only? Something like Matterhorn, Trial Mountain, Grand Valley, Cape Ring, etc.

I mean I personally would pay $20 for any set of 6-8 worthwhile tracks, real or not, but I also would pay $20 for a single car (XJ220) if it guaranteed its appearance in the game. I paid $20 for the game and haven't really bought any cars with cash besides a couple for local multiplayer racing with my brother, so I'd be happy to pay more for more content.

If you were to have paid DLC tracks then group them as a DLC pack by series and include all the tracks that a series uses to run its races, such as an American IMSA pack, a British touring car pack, an Australian v8 pack and make sure your game has the needed cars in place to run a series for the DLC packs.

Tracks would then be grouped together with a purpose or goal in that track being offered in the game. Same with the cars, instead of just random offerings bring in groups or classes to actually race together for new content.

I re-purchased GTAV when it was released on the PS4. So I essentially paid $60 for a continuation of the same game I had already paid full price for.

I would be willing to spend up to $60 on GT Sport DLC if it would extend my enjoyment of the game for another 2-3 years. You’d be dumb not to. Getting 5+ years of daily entertainment out of a $120 game is an absolute bargain.

That being said.. $60 would have to be one hell of a robust DLC. But, I would definitely buy tracks/cars for $5-$20. However I do not approve of how PD handled exclusive track DLC in the past (like Spa.) It is unwise to split the player base like that.

The base game disc is $60?

I would hazard a guess that their own research would show that the max people would pay would be $20-$25... maybe even $30 for a DLC?

But at half the game price it would have to be an amazing DLC.

At the lower end say $20, I'd be expecting 3 real world tracks and 3 PD originals... and maybe half a dozen cars?

They way I look at it is that I have gotten my value worth out of the base game and I would give them more money to support them.

The reality is that I feel like PD is a very unique entity and I would support them in ways I would even bother if it was an EA or Ubisoft or Microsoft or Bethesda or just about any other game company out there.

Devs who provide value and a unique expriernce deserve your patronage.

Saying that I think everyone realises that they will just release their DLC as per usual until its time to support "GT Sport II" on PS5.

I would pay...and I wouldn't.

The game needs tracks more than any other content, but track DLC splits the user base, and I wouldn't enjoy tracks for very long if they were never used on sport mode.

If they fixed the game economy or were smarter about it I am sure people paying for new cars could fund free tracks.

Last edited:
It all depends on how it was handled. In GT5, if you didn't buy a track you couldn't race it online. It was very frustrating in user-created lobbies, & caused lots of problems. If they let people race on a track if the host has it, that would be fair enough, if they used the same system as in GT5, then no. Either way, I wouldn't personally be interested in paying anything more on top of what we already have. I've not even driven on all the tracks in the game yet, so don't need anymore at the present time.

For tracks I would want to see;

Spa Francorchamps 14km
Solitude
Rouen-les-Essarts
Montjuic Park
Oulton Park
Mosport Park

I just like fast club circuits and circuits that feel like they go somewhere.

Paid DLC just splits up the communities in all games, I don't want to contribute to that anymore.

So take a game like GTS which is 1 1/2 years into its life since introduction and the next game is probably again another 1 1/2 years before it is a reality.

The current income stream from GTS is probably at a minimum very low amount at this point and does not continue to support the cost of a team working to introduce new content to a game which sales are very low.

The choice is,
1.) Would you rather sit on what you have until the next game is introduced as the current income does not promote the studio devoting resources to keep a team adding new content?

2.) Have DLC packages made available (preferably in a series type of content where the content would open new racing series to be available.) where the income from such packages actually justifies the studio investing more time and resources to adding quality content to a game that actually is providing a very minimum current income stream?

Some people seem to think that the price they initially pay for a video game should be sufficient to continue that game to continue to receive new free content for apparently years after the initial release even though for the most part the studio is no longer making money off supporting the game.

I would rather see a game giving good organized DLC packages they can choose to buy the packages only they are interested in. If you like IMSA have an Imsa pack and if you like rally racing have a rally pack.

DLC distributed this way will not split the player base of the racers that are interested and will race that discipline. do not like rally racing so I will never race that type of race. That is not splitting a player base because of content owned but rather by interest, if you like the package buy it and support the studio by buying the new content they are putting out.

These teams developing these games do not go to work for free.

I’d pay nothing for tracks because I hate paid dlc. Finish the game then release it. Good quality content will get you customers. But I guess so will the pressure of your friends having content that you dont

However, I’d like to see....

Ascari
COTA
Oulton park
Donington park
Sebring
Jerez and many more but these I feel would be fantastic additions

The choice is,
1.) Would you rather sit on what you have until the next game is introduced as the current income does not promote the studio devoting resources to keep a team adding new content?

2.) Have DLC packages made available (preferably in a series type of content where the content would open new racing series to be available.) where the income from such packages actually justifies the studio investing more time and resources to adding quality content to a game that actually is providing a very minimum current income stream?

I don't know if PD have speeded up, but in the past they were not fast enough at modeling cars and tracks to release DLC while simultaneously building up the car and track roster for the next game release.

Hell no. In my mind PD are withholding content to artificially extend GTS' longevity. It's like going to a diner for a meal you used to get all at once. It costs the same but now they bring you the appetizer at noon, the main course at 5pm and the dessert at 8. "At least we didn't charge you extra for dessert!"

Last edited:
I'm going to pay next year 70 euro for Gran Turismo 7, that will include all content from GT Sport + a few new tracks from upcoming DLC's + 15-20 new tracks.

The current income stream from GTS is probably at a minimum very low amount at this point and does not continue to support the cost of a team working to introduce new content to a game which sales are very low.
I would hope Sony recognise the value of people like me who pay for a Playstation Plus subscription but only use it on GTS, it's not income directly from the game but it should count for something.

Adding DLC is a risky move, look at Codemasters they have totally divided the DR2 community within a few weeks of launch, the hardcore players don't mind, they love the game enough to pay another 50% but I'd imagine it's put off quite a lot of the casuals (the developers risk those not buying the next game).

I think we've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) from PD that the primary focus of GT Sport is the Sport Mode, more specifically the pick-up-and-play ability (PU&P for short) that Sport Mode offers. The moment Sport mode uses one of these 'paid DLC' tracks and things go balls up: 1) Whoever hasn't purchased that particular track can't join the race and 2) Requiring the purchase of tracks before the race defeats that PU&P ability (completely ignoring the similar dilemma with garage car requirements :D:lol:)

With that being said, if PD operated their tracks like they did their cars, then maybe the track can be 'specially provided' through Sport Mode for the duration of the event's existence. Non-purchasers would still be at a disadvantage though due to not having as much absolute experience with the track as purchasers (unless they put in all the hours available to them). Either way, it feels like a pay-2-win system to me.

Take Sport Mode out of the track equation and things get easier, to an extent. You still have the issue with dividing multiplayer lobbies and communities based on purchasers and non-purchasers, resulting in unhappy people. Take multiplayer out of the equation too, then PD will have to give us more GT League events :lol:.

Latest Posts

Back