Would you pay for a DLC track pack and what would it have to contain?

• Thread starter Oswald07
  • 43 comments
There is no need for purchasers/non-purchasers divide. The DLC cars would get added to the game via update and buying the DLC would simply unlock them for use. The same goes for tracks. They did this very same system with GT5's DLC and it worked just fine.

Normally I would say yes to paid DLC if it meant getting cars I'd like and tracks I'd like. But with GTS being shipped with an expiration date, it would be a waste of money.

I think we've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) from PD that the primary focus of GT Sport is the Sport Mode, more specifically the pick-up-and-play ability (PU&P for short) that Sport Mode offers. The moment Sport mode uses one of these 'paid DLC' tracks and things go balls up: 1) Whoever hasn't purchased that particular track can't join the race and 2) Requiring the purchase of tracks before the race defeats that PU&P ability (completely ignoring the similar dilemma with garage car requirements

The vanilla sport mode as it currently exist could still function exactly as it has been so far.

That does not mean a DLC pack that contains cars and tracks for a different series cannot be added and yes to participate in those series would require the purchase of the DLC content to be eligible.

I see nothing wrong with that concept and if such were done considering every track would be a real track and need to be licensed then the cost to buy the packages would be needed to offset those cost for the studio.

As long as the vanilla sport mode was not affected then basically the only people that would incur the added cost of a DLC package would be a player that wanted to race those cars on those tracks and were willing to pay for the opportunity to do so.

Having options is not a bad thing, the only people that would object is those that think the studio should continue to give them free content for multiple years after a games one time purchase and many time the price paid is not even at full list price of the game being discussed.

So take a game like GTS which is 1 1/2 years into its life since introduction and the next game is probably again another 1 1/2 years before it is a reality.

The current income stream from GTS is probably at a minimum very low amount at this point and does not continue to support the cost of a team working to introduce new content to a game which sales are very low.

The choice is,
1.) Would you rather sit on what you have until the next game is introduced as the current income does not promote the studio devoting resources to keep a team adding new content?

2.) Have DLC packages made available (preferably in a series type of content where the content would open new racing series to be available.) where the income from such packages actually justifies the studio investing more time and resources to adding quality content to a game that actually is providing a very minimum current income stream?

Some people seem to think that the price they initially pay for a video game should be sufficient to continue that game to continue to receive new free content for apparently years after the initial release even though for the most part the studio is no longer making money off supporting the game.

I would rather see a game giving good organized DLC packages they can choose to buy the packages only they are interested in. If you like IMSA have an Imsa pack and if you like rally racing have a rally pack.

DLC distributed this way will not split the player base of the racers that are interested and will race that discipline. do not like rally racing so I will never race that type of race. That is not splitting a player base because of content owned but rather by interest, if you like the package buy it and support the studio by buying the new content they are putting out.

These teams developing these games do not go to work for free.

Great points!! It blows me away the amount of people that wont pay for DLC either because they think it should all be included at release, it will only have a shelf life of 1 1/2 years, (whoever thinks GT7 or the next GT will be ready with the release of the PS5 is dreaming, when did PD ever come close to meeting a release date?) or that they simply dont want to spend any more money on a game that is already a bargain. Talk about shelf lives, people actually pay money, even up to or more than 1/3 the cost of GTS for movies!! If you really like the movie you might watch it 3 times maybe? That sounds way more expensive per hour than GTS plus DLC. Once again,,I would happily pay for DLC, I'm not going to talk about which tracks I would pay for because that is not the OP's subject matter, only DLC is. I would $60 for a nice group of tracks and cars that would extend my choices and my interest in GTS, we need DLC content, the next new GT is more than likely 3-4 years down the road. Lastly how can anyone expect a studio to keep putting out free content for a game that is already over 1 1/2 years old??

Great points!! It blows me away the amount of people that wont pay for DLC either because they think it should all be included at release, it will only have a shelf life of 1 1/2 years, (whoever thinks GT7 or the next GT will be ready with the release of the PS5 is dreaming, when did PD ever come close to meeting a release date?) or that they simply dont want to spend any more money on a game that is already a bargain. Talk about shelf lives, people actually pay money, even up to or more than 1/3 the cost of GTS for movies!! If you really like the movie you might watch it 3 times maybe? That sounds way more expensive per hour than GTS plus DLC. Once again,,I would happily pay for DLC, I'm not going to talk about which tracks I would pay for because that is not the OP's subject matter, only DLC is. I would $60 for a nice group of tracks and cars that would extend my choices and my interest in GTS, we need DLC content, the next new GT is more than likely 3-4 years down the road. Lastly how can anyone expect a studio to keep putting out free content for a game that is already over 1 1/2 years old??

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I have been thinking. I'm greatful to PD they have already given me so many hours of entertainment. And I don't know how they continue to pay their development team. I think they should just take our DLC money pay whatever licensing fees and keep this ball rolling with a big new release. I think the people that truly love this game will understand.

I wouldn't want to pay for content we've already seen before. Dirt Rally 2 is charging for content that appeared in the first game, which I quite frankly think is stupid. Remember the outcry when Forza 5 packaged vehicles from previous games as DLC?

Remember the outcry when Forza 5 packaged vehicles from previous games as DLC?

They still do that to this day even in FH4, plenty of Car Pass cars in that game were carryovers from FM4, most notably the '03 Honda S2000, '02 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R, '12 Lambo Gallardo Spyder, '05 Ferrari FXX and '05 NSX-R GT, among other things. A lot of Seasonal Event/Forzathon Shop/Festival Playlist cars are also carryovers from Forza 7 that initially didn't make the cut to FH4 at launch as well but at least those ones are free...

If PD doing DLC in the future. I think they will likely going only charge the new content never coming to gran turismo game before. I alway see the old content from last will be likely in the base game.

$100+ for all the classic tracks from GT1 - GT6

$100+ for basically the real world PC2 track roster.

Jerome

For 100 bucks I’d get Iracing. The other 100, beer and whatever other PS game you want. :cheers: 200 in DLC is pretty steep.

I just noticed this weekend that GT Sport is 30 CAD$ in the PS Store. And it did not look like a sale price either. So the fact PD is still supporting and releasing new free content for a title half the price of other similar games release around the same time tells me:

1. We have no right to complain about anything, new content related.
2. Paid DLC could be right around the corner.

For 100 bucks I’d get Iracing. The other 100, beer and whatever other PS game you want. :cheers: 200 in DLC is pretty steep.

I wouldn't, that would only get me like 2 cars in iracing :lol: I'd be getting a TON of content for that $100, not like 2 or 3 things, closer to like 20, so at most $5/track.

Jerome

I wouldn't, that would only get me like 2 cars in iracing :lol: I'd be getting a TON of content for that $100, not like 2 or 3 things, closer to like 20, so at most $5/track.

Jerome

Not only that but a decent gaming PC is like $1500 vs $400 for a PS4 and I think you almost have to use a wheel with iRacing so thats another $200-$1500 or more.

Not only that but a decent gaming PC is like $1500 vs $400 for a PS4 and I think you almost have to use a wheel with iRacing so thats another $200-$1500 or more.

Yes it’s wheel only. Good points on the wheel and PC. I guess if you already had those two things it wouldn’t be as expensive.

If PD would throw in a dozen to two dozen tracks and some newer race cars/categories I wouldn’t have a problem with $200. :lol:
Ya’ll done changed my mind.

Back