Would you pay for Cars/Tracks in GT5p?

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 126 comments
Millions of people pay for down loadable ring tones that didn't come with the phone.

Millions of people bought full GT games, and they where overloaded with cars and tracks. Changing one of the most obvious characteristic of a product could ruin the business I think. I don’t expect GT5 to offer the same share of cars as GT4, but surely would feel bitter if few weeks after initial release PD/Sony would “propose” more content via the online store. Sure it takes time and money to digitize those - especially at PD’s standard level - but so it was by the time of the previous games. Some companies have pushed the concept of DLC to a level of cynicism that make me think off “organized robbery” these days, and I would love my favorite game to stay away from that dangerous road. In my opinion, and as far as the Gran Turismo serie is concerned, content should never be considered optional.

@Vaxen: I understand this thread initially focused on Prologue and it’s “limited” gameplay that is starting to grow tired for some/most here. Sure a couple of tracks/cars would be more than welcome at this point. Anyway, I see DLC as a Pandora’s Box, and it’s possible impact on the full game should not be overlooked.

I voted not to buy any cars or tracks because I really don't like the idea, but who am I kidding? As soon as a pay download appears I'd probable click to buy it straight away.:guilty:

I voted the same way, but like you I would probably buy tracks if they were cheap enough. Its a good job pre-paid PSN cards are not out here, I have no choice but to not buy stuff of the store, it saves me from myself.

Millions of people bought full GT games, and they where overloaded with cars and tracks. Changing one of the most obvious characteristic of a product could ruin the business I think. I don’t expect GT5 to offer the same share of cars as GT4, but surely would feel bitter if few weeks after initial release PD/Sony would “propose” more content via the online store. Sure it takes time and money to digitize those - especially at PD’s standard level - but so it was by the time of the previous games. Some companies have pushed the concept of DLC to a level of cynicism that make me think off “organized robbery” these days, and I would love my favorite game to stay away from that dangerous road. In my opinion, and as far as the Gran Turismo serie is concerned, content should never be considered optional.

@Vaxen: I understand this thread initially focused on Prologue and it’s “limited” gameplay that is starting to grow tired for some/most here. Sure a couple of tracks/cars would be more than welcome at this point. Anyway, I see DLC as a Pandora’s Box, and it’s possible impact on the full game should not be overlooked.

I dont think after 5 years of development PD would take stuff out of GT5 so they could charge for it.

PD have two choices for DLC, they can either release a couple of tracks and cars for free or release lots of cars and tracks for a price, id prefer lots of DLC even if i have to pay.

Additional tracks/cars would just help to slightly extend the lifetime of the game, but but private lobbies (cue groan:sly:) would add endless replay value the online racing.

No is my answer:tdown:

Call me cynical if you like, but PD is a Sony company, right? Sony have their PSN store now, where they make a whole load of money. Sony also have been very greedy with a few titles, namely Pain where you have to buy practically EVERYTHING, and Super Stardust HD where you have to pay to unlock features that were already in the game from launch. You can see why they do it, though.

Now consider that GT5 is one of those games where DLC just makes absolute sense; there will be cars coming out after the game is launched and its doubtful they'll include EVERY track ever, so as far as GT5 is concerned, I'd be very, very surprised if they didn't release DLC. And I'm happy for them to do that, but only under the condition that they don't deliberately hold content back from the launch title so they can charge us for it later. If it's new things like, I dunno, a 2010 Evo XI, then I'd probably pay for that if it wasn't too expensive, but if they hold back the current Evo (as an example) then charge 0.79p for it the week after launch, I won't be happy.

As far as GT5p is concerned, I'm absolutely convinced they won't release any optional or paid DLC on the PSN store, and to be honest it annoys me (and probably millions of others) when people treat GT5p as a full game. You paid half the price for a reason, because it's only a tiny bit of the game... Not a demo as such because you get access to a lot more than you did in the Prologue demo (1 track and, what, 7 or 8 cars?), but far from a full game. To answer the thread's question though, no, I wouldn't pay for any GT5p DLC, its going to become irrelevant when the game comes out.

People complain the online sucks, there's only 6 tracks, no updates, so on and so forth, the fact that PD even gave us this game at all is something to be grateful for, you wouldn't want to play GT4 (if you were lucky enough to get a backwards-compatable PS3) in all its glitchy, pixellated upscaled glory until GT5 came out, would you? So how about you accept that you got what you paid for, maybe even thank PD for allowing you a sample of GT in 1080p HD graphics, and accept that there probably won't be any new tracks (most definitely NOT the Nürburging!)? There ARE other games to play on your £300 (£425 if you've been around long enough) system, you know.

I would prefer packages like:
-5 Nissan
-5 Ford
-5 ...

and so on, but we should get a big discount for being a member of GTPlanet...

Plus, we should only have to pay about £0.10 per car, so about $0.15 for Americans...
Paying about £1.00 would be ridiculous and very annoying. Well, paying full stop would annoy me...

And if we pay real money, the car should go straight to the garage, and we can choose the colour in the garage - so we can have 1 copy of the car, but vary the colours...

But to answer the question, yes - I would buy everything... I would find a way of earning the money.

I would prefer packages like:
-5 Nissan
-5 Ford
-5 ...

and so on, but we should get a big discount for being a member of GTPlanet...

Plus, we should only have to pay about £0.10 per car, so about $0.15 for Americans...
Paying about £1.00 would be ridiculous and very annoying. Well, paying full stop would annoy me...

And if we pay real money, the car should go straight to the garage, and we can choose the colour in the garage - so we can have 1 copy of the car, but vary the colours...

But to answer the question, yes - I would buy everything... I would find a way of earning the money.

I doubt they will be that cheap id expect 50p - 75p

Back