Would you pay for Cars/Tracks in GT5p?

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 126 comments
I have a question , just wondering peoples various thoughts :

When the full game comes out , what will you be doing most ?

Playing arcade to get through the game , and unlock cars , and maybe tracks (thought) , spending time in the mod shop, building, painting your cars (thought)

OR

Dedicate your time to playing online with friends ( private rooms and races ) and not really caring about off-line stuff and getting through the game

The reason I ask is that some don't seem to care for the arcade mode and some would rather race on-line and buy things.

Last edited:
I can understand why some of you might not want to pay for DLC for prologue.

As for the full GT5 though, i'm not sure some people are fully understanding the idea additional content. We will all buy the same FULL game. Additional content is an addition to the full game. It's not compulsory to buy it, but it's there if you want to buy it.

You can go to Subway and buy a full sub sandwich, you can also pay extra to have extra cheese on it if you wish.

You can buy a full pizza, you can also pay extra to have extra toppings on it if you wish.

You can buy a new car, you can also pay extra to have extra gizmo's etc on it if you wish.

Is anyone pissed with subway, local pizza shop, car manufacturer etc because you have to pay extra to get extra stuff?
Bear in mind that this thread is purely about DLC for Prologue, so peoples comments will be or should be at least relating to DLC for GT5:P and not GT5. Also you're analogy is miles off because you are comparing different markets. Catering and Game production are pretty different to compare and I'll explain one big way that leapt out at me without even thinking about it. First off though, n one (or no one I've noticed) is saying that extra content shouldn't be charged for when it is infact, extra content. Afterall it does cost PD money to make. However any extra content for GT5:P will surely be standard content in GT5, so for PD to charge for it would be clearly taking the general public for mugs.

I get what your saying about food but it's different, the analogy doesn't work. You can't order a starter with a side of chips and then say you're not paying for the chips because you'll get chips as part of your main course, because they arn't the same chips. They are phyically a different portion of chips that had to be bought, prepared and served in addition to the portion you will get with your meal. With game content it is the same content, the GT5:P content will be carried over into GT5. So in that sense you are being charged twice for the same content. You can apply that logic to GT5:P itself really but there are more ways to defend paying for GT5:P than downloading an addition car and/track pack that will be part of a packaged product off the shelf that you will be buying anyway shortly after as GT5:P offers more than content, it does contain all the elements of a packaged game which goes way beyond simply paying for playable content. I will probably buy additional content for GT5, provided it is additional and fairly priced, which leads onto this post....

I will not buy any DLC if it was clearly destined for the retail release of the game and was just held back to sell a week later. If the DLC is released a fair bit later and is of a good quality then yeah I might consider it. I would probably be more inclined to buy cars rather than tracks but firstly I want GT5 to have a lot to begin with!

0.99 would be a very reasonable price for cars.

Robin.
This post is spot on, though the 0.99c part I can't relate to much as I'm in a different market and you don't tend to just convert the prices in these cases. I'd say that a 15 car pack should cost around £5, and a track would be fairly priced at around £1. That's my view and at these prices PD would make a neat sum of money quite easilly and that's taking into acount a rough estimation of costs involved. I did go over DLC prices in great depth in a thread a while ago, I doubt I'd be able to find that post now but if the debate goes in the right direction I might go over some of it again.

And again, agreeing with Robin that the content must be additional. None of this seeing a car in preview and press pics only to find it's not in the game and will be part of a DLC car pack available shortly after release. I'm thinking of Test Drive Unlimited here, how many cars we're shown in previews that wern't in the game in that. Plenty is the answer.

Then you have what are imo, missleading downloads, EA are guilty of this. Releasing a game and then selling content already in the game but you have to unlcok it as you play through. They basically will sell you a "American muscle car unlcok pack", I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of people didn't realise that all the cars in the pack we're already in the game. But they'll sell you this pack for say £2.99 and all it does is gives you access to all the American muscle cars right from the start. They arn't additional in any way but you are paying real money for the pack.

DLC can be a benefit, a big benefit to the punters, unfortunately business means that this potentially great way of extending a games life is largely becoming a methos of ripping off the punters and in many cases without them realising it.

I will not pay for additional content that I feel has been held back just to be used as a money spinner and I will not pay for additional content for GT5:P.

We should never paywith real money for extra content. IMO the up-dates are service, for your costumers. Cos we are all customers. All this stuff is expensive enough. If we all start paying for stuff like this there is no turning back. We can buy extra content, but pay with the credits we earn in the game. Cos keep in mind we are playing a game. If we allow them to pay for stuff like this we end up for paying for new tires as well. I’m a bit sarcastic (that's me) now but you guys know what I mean.

so anything a company works on after the game is released should not be paid for? they should be working for nothing? seriously im surprised PD has released 3 updates free of charge. they make no profit off of the extra work that has been done to the game. thats like saying (lets use an easy reference) World of warcraft not charging for the expansion packs that they worked on after the final release.

I have a question , just wondering peoples various thoughts :

When the full game comes out , what will you be doing most ?

Playing arcade to get through the game , and unlock cars , and maybe tracks (thought) , spending time in the mod shop, building, painting your cars (thought)

OR

Dedicate your time to playing online with friends ( private rooms and races ) and not really caring about off-line stuff and getting through the game

The reason I ask is that some don't seem to care for the arcade mode and some would rather race on-line and buy things.

If your talking about GT5, I'd say Arcade mode will be online mode. I suspect that all cars and tracks will be unlocked and available for online play.

Offline mode will, hopefully, be the same type of deep experience as the previous games where you gradually unlock the cars and tracks as you play through it. If that is so, then offline mode is where I will spend most of my time.

So nobody has mentioned GTHD?

In PD original vision, GTHD was meant to be a shell of a game, a handful of cars and maybe a track or two. Which you then paid for what you wanted, say you wanted to race Ferrari only, purchase that, and only round the 'ring, purchase that as well. But everyone went up in arms about that and now we have Prologue (which i think is great by the way) but everyone is complaining about a lack of tracks and would pay for more? Well you had that oppurtunity but voted no, would you go back to the original vision of GTHD??

Personally i would.

And as for GT5P DLC, i would pay for it. pick and choose. Purchase the good tracks, and the cars i liked. I imagine i would eventually end up purchasing all tracks and a few more cars. Dont have an issue with DLC and i welcome it as long as its done correctly. Burnout Paradise is a great example, i thought Motorstorm was a little lite on content, but the DLC helped out and was done sensibly.

I would pay, but only if the prices were consistent. Sony has already shown (with home), that it is more than willing to charge more for certain items than others. I could even imagine that they would listen to customer feedback regarding cars or tracks, then release them at a higher than normal price point, just because they are wanted so much.

The only track I could say id buy 100% would be the ring... other than that id want to have played it to death before buying anything extra.

Only car id buy is the renaultsport R26 megane... but thats just because I have one in real life and loved racing with the clio 172 in GT4 when I had one of them.

I would pay for extra track's and car's but i wouldn't be happy about.
If i have to pay full price for GT5 i don't want to have to pay for track's/car's.

Sony has already shown (with home), that it is more than willing to charge more for certain items than others. I could even imagine that they would listen to customer feedback regarding cars or tracks, then release them at a higher than normal price point, just because they are wanted so much.

So does that mean we just screwed ourselves out of our hard earned money by starting this thread then?

From this point on, no one should mention the words 'Ring, Spa, La Sarthe and willing to pay extra all in the same sentence...That stuff should be in GT5, period.

Obviously I don't want to pay for anything, but I'd still want everything and if the price is right I'd do it. If tracks were $5 yes, but I'd rather car packs than singular cars, priced at maybe $2.

Ok what if GT5 has all the real tracks mentioned, but you had to pay for classic old GT stuff, tracks, music, cars or liveries from past editions of the game.

Would you pay for that, i think i would!!

We should not pay 1 cent,let it come out of all the profit they make.
I don't like the road we are heading with this pay for DLC crap!!!My take on it is that
game developers are just going to hold out on some good content (that should be in the game any how) so they can make more green.

If people are not ready to pay for having extra stuff, it only means that when game is released, that's it. PD aint gonna spend their moneys to modelling tracks and cars, and sharing them free for us.

I can only imagine how expensive it's laser-scan and create real-tracks, so those must be much more expensive than their own-creations.

We should not pay 1 cent,let it come out of all the profit they make.
I don't like the road we are heading with this pay for DLC crap!!!My take on it is that
game developers are just going to hold out on some good content (that should be in the game any how) so they can make more green.

I dont think PD will hold some tracks back form release unless there not ready.

Abs. not. I'll go back to need for speed. Abs. not... Thats stupid. Its like releasing a phone that doesn't ring... You'd have to buy a ringtone to know when your phone was ringing...

I think it would be very nice to have new content for final GT5 after its release every month or so. Because all that years between GT games are going to make all of us mad.

If you watch the video on GTplanet's youtube channel it has a video of KY doing a slide show on GT HD and he shows some slide on DLC and theres 770 cars and 51 tracks to download which would be amazing for GT5 as it would be impossible to get bored.

Abs. not. I'll go back to need for speed. Abs. not... Thats stupid. Its like releasing a phone that doesn't ring... You'd have to buy a ringtone to know when your phone was ringing...

That's kinda silly. Millions of people pay for down loadable ring tones that didn't come with the phone.
Just how long are you willing to wait for PD to create every car ever produced or every track real or fictional? I mean really.

I think it would be beneficial to keeping people interested over a long time to continually add tracks and cars at no price, but if they feel they absolutely have to charge customers for it, then I would see it as fair, if you pay once in a sort of 'Yes, I want to sign up for future tracks and cars'-way. Otherwise you'll end up paying hundreds of euro/dollars/etc. for one game, if you want to have them all (and you know you will!!)

Plus, if not everyone has the cars and tracks...how do you want to race on/with them online? So, at least you will have to download them anyway, so what's the point really in charging for use?

I think it would be beneficial to keeping people interested over a long time to continually add tracks and cars at no price, but if they feel they absolutely have to charge customers for it, then I would see it as fair, if you pay once in a sort of 'Yes, I want to sign up for future tracks and cars'-way. Otherwise you'll end up paying hundreds of euro/dollars/etc. for one game, if you want to have them all (and you know you will!!)

Plus, if not everyone has the cars and tracks...how do you want to race on/with them online? So, at least you will have to download them anyway, so what's the point really in charging for use?

All they have to do is add an update so the game can see the new cars and tracks but cant unlock them till you buy them and when you in a lobby you will have to wait in the lobby till the host changes the track like forza.

I voted not to buy any cars or tracks because I really don't like the idea, but who am I kidding? As soon as a pay download appears I'd probable click to buy it straight away.:guilty:

Latest Posts

Back