Would you welcome more RPG elements in the cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bluez_Freak
  • 56 comments
  • 4,143 views
Leveling up, gaining abilities (upgrades and car), and game progression are NOT RPG elements!

They are only gameplay elements that are common in RPGs. That is all!
So gameplay elements most frequently seen in (and many of them started by) RPGs aren't RPG elements? Even though that is basically the accepted industry term for them anyways?

What should we call them then?
 
I want to train my Civic to evolve into an HSV010 Race Car.

What? Civic is evolving?

*pic*

Tum tum tum tum tum...

Your Civic evolved into an HSV010 Race Car!! Nice!!

*pic*

HSV learned sequential shifter and downforce.
:D

or you are driving in nurburgring for example and then when you go driving on the grass, suddenly the sreeen fades in, and then "A wild impreza appears!"
"GTR i choose you! Go GTR!" *battle starts* :D
 
So gameplay elements most frequently seen in (and many of them started by) RPGs aren't RPG elements? Even though that is basically the accepted industry term for them anyways?

What should we call them then?

Role Playing Game focuses on playing a role in whatever story there is to tell or experience.

Games like Final Fantasy, Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and the like are all RPGs NOT because they have looting, leveling, item collecting, or anything like that, but because you play as a character (doesn't matter what kind) who is set out to play a role (doesn't matter what role) in a story (no matter how good or crappy, narrow or branched out).

All that other stuff included has little to nothing to do with playing a role in any story.

Heck GTA is more of an RPG despite its (Action-Adventure) labeling because its a heavily story based franchise, The action and adventuring parts are just GREAT addictional filler content to support the lengthening of the story.
 
Role Playing Game focuses on playing a role in whatever story there is to tell or experience.

Games like Final Fantasy, Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and the like are all RPGs NOT because they have looting, leveling, item collecting, or anything like that, but because you play as a character (doesn't matter what kind) who is set out to play a role (doesn't matter what role) in a story (no matter how good or crappy, narrow or branched out).

All that other stuff included has little to nothing to do with playing a role in any story.

Heck GTA is more of an RPG despite its (Action-Adventure) labeling because its a heavily story based franchise, The action and adventuring parts are just GREAT addictional filler content to support the lengthening of the story.
I don't see how any of this shows how GT5 doesn't have RPG elements, how the things discussed in the OP aren't RPG elements, why those things should not be called RPG elements, or what those elements should be called if they shouldn't be called RPG elements.

I also once again will point out that using the term "RPG elements" to describe gameplay elements commonly seen in RPGs (and several of which RPGs invented) not only makes perfect sense, but it is a standard industry term that has been around for years now used by everyone from fans to journalists to developers. So, basically, what are you trying to prove?
 
Last edited:
I don't see how any of this shows how GT5 doesn't have RPG elements, how the things discussed in the OP aren't RPG elements, why those things should not be called RPG elements, or what those elements should be called if they shouldn't be called RPG elements.

I also once again will point out that using the term "RPG elements" to describe gameplay elements commonly seen in RPGs (and several of which RPGs invented) not only makes perfect sense, but it is a standard industry term that has been around for years now used by everyone from fans to journalists to developers. So, basically, what are you trying to prove?

That many people are incomprehensive of properly meanings!
 
I want to train my Civic to evolve into an HSV010 Race Car.

What? Civic is evolving?

http://www.autodescuento.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/honda-civic.jpg

Tum tum tum tum tum...

Your Civic evolved into an HSV010 Race Car!! Nice!!

http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/video-honda-hsv-010-caught-testing-at-suzuka.jpg

HSV learned sequential shifter and downforce.
HSV wants to learn "VTEC", but HSV cant learn any new moves.

Delete an old move?

Congratulations! HSV forgot "fuel economy" and learned "VTEC"!
 
I wouldn't necessarily refer to these sorts of enhancements as "RPG". I'd say "CarPG" is a little better, but does it really matter how they're labeled?

Personally, I like the idea of a more in-depth "wear-and-tear" system for the cars. It would add a sorely missing level of realism to the game and expand the strategy involved given the amount of play needed to get through the game (especially if one doesn't use any glitches or loopholes).

However, I'm not terribly confident that it could be implemented successfully, and would rather do without it versus see something implemented that doesn't work.

For those that are opposed to it, I won't simply suggest they "get over it". I can see how such a system would probably take away from their enjoyment factor - especially if they're a more casual player that's not looking for that level of depth. However, I don't think I should have to miss out on a more in-depth game experience from a game that should be have more realism than it does, because it's not suited to the casual player.

Peace...
 
HSV wants to learn "VTEC", but HSV cant learn any new moves.

Delete an old move?

Congratulations! HSV forgot "fuel economy" and learned "VTEC"!

Haha. More like forget roar (L4) and learn howl (V8).



For the love of god, why isn't that Pokémon car in our garages.
 
To Gran_Turismo + Tornado:

Guys relax!! Wether they should be called RPG elements or not matters not. What matters is if we could really have them and if they would make the GT experience better.

The answer for me is definitely YES.

It is PD who throw us the "GT life" concept in the first place. If we earn money, buy cars, change oil, wash the car etc. we need also more elements involving the wearing-out, damage, and servicing of the cars.

If the game had only arcade mode with all cars available immediately then ofcourse all this would not be needed.
 
Wow, terrible idea. Worst idea I've seen on this site, and that is really saying something. This is a driving simulator, not a maintenance simulator. If this was a good idea then there would be video games that simulate doing the laundry and mowing the grass.
 
Wow, terrible idea. Worst idea I've seen on this site, and that is really saying something. This is a driving simulator, not a maintenance simulator. If this was a good idea then there would be video games that simulate doing the laundry and mowing the grass.

👍

I really wonder about the posters on this site sometimes. It seems the last thing most of them want is a RACING game. And that the vast majority wants a picture taking, glitch exploring, XP leveling, oil changing, car washing, video making mashup of a game centered around only premium model cars.

It's sad that so many casual noobs have been allowed to shape the direction of the racing genre to the point where noone is making racing games anymore, just flashy garbage where racing is just a SMALL sideshow to the main casual attractions mentioned above.
 
I just want to drive. If I want to pay for repairs I'll take my real car to the shop.

No thanks. Oil changes are bad enough.


It seems the last thing most of them want is a RACING game. And that the vast majority wants a picture taking, glitch exploring, XP leveling, oil changing, car washing, video making mashup of a game centered around only premium model cars....just flashy garbage where racing is just a SMALL sideshow to the main casual attractions mentioned above.
 
If this was a good idea then there would be video games that simulate doing the laundry and mowing the grass.

Ahem.....

lawnmower-4556-1.jpeg


0.jpg


Just saying.:sly:
 
Wow, terrible idea. Worst idea I've seen on this site, and that is really saying something. This is a driving simulator, not a maintenance simulator. If this was a good idea then there would be video games that simulate doing the laundry and mowing the grass.
Overreact much?
 
We already have driver levels. How about bonuses and special events for hitting certain driver levels? Maybe you've hit Driver Level 5, and it unlocks a special event where you have to drive a new car that you can't buy yet(say it's lvl7 or something). Beat the event, and you get to keep the lvl7 car even though you are lvl5.

Could cars benefit from an xp/leveling system too? What if you could unlock race modifications when your car reaches a certain level? As your car levels up, maybe you could get discounts in the tuning shop for cars from the same manufacturer. I liked this system in FM3. It even encouraged the trading system, because people paid a premium for cars that were already maxed out.
 
Yes I would love for damage to carry over till you repaired even from races you do online. This would put a dent into the no driving goons that just ram people out of the way .
 
-Car service history
-Ownership history
-Chassis condition indicator
-Engine condition indicator
-Suspensions/filters/exhausts and other parts wearing out over mileage/time and need replacement
-Damage on track to be carried over and stay with the car until repaired at GT Auto

Especially the damage thing would make us all drive more cautiously/cleaner if repair costs are proportional to the extent of damage.

Most of these sound like a nuisance to me, but if you add an option for a swap with a whole new engine, I'd take the good with the bad.

Haha. More like forget roar (L4) and learn howl (V8).



For the love of god, why isn't that Pokémon car in our garages.


👍 As much as I like the idea of the FT-86 in real life since by all indications it will be attainable to most, I can't tell you how much more I'd love Honda's Ultimate Cornering Machine in GT5. Also, no vacuum cleaners, please. Record the real McCoy.
 
I think the game has enough depth as it is with it's current setup. Anything beyond what it is right now would probably be too much. The main focus of the game should be driving combined with the physics... hence it's slogan being "The Driving Simulator."

GT AUTO is enough of that maintenance aspect already; I was thinking the other day about all the times I went in there to do an oil change... pretty sure all those oil changes add up to a lot of time already. Let alone worrying about tie-rod ends and ball joints getting fixed.

It's just way too much data. The first 4 ideas could work, I used to be curious if the cars I got were duped, I would've liked to see that. Service history and indicators seem like a no-brainer. Like a check engine light when your car hits a high mileage point.
 
I want this:

If you run your car too hard, the chance of a breakdown increases, and puts you out for a few laps, but if you lay back and run easy, the chance diminishes.

Risk/Reward
 
I want my driver to look like Cloud and I want him to race Sephiroth and when I win I get a triforce and , wait wut?
 
How about this one, an enchanted Turbo, I got a +9 Turbo baby; whatchu know about that?
 
NO.

Just more tracks/cars and better sound.
 
LFA
How about this one, an enchanted Turbo, I got a +9 Turbo baby; whatchu know about that?

Well I've got a GTR that's got a +8 against solid walls at hairpins.
 
👍

I really wonder about the posters on this site sometimes. It seems the last thing most of them want is a RACING game. And that the vast majority wants a picture taking, glitch exploring, XP leveling, oil changing, car washing, video making mashup of a game centered around only premium model cars.

It's sad that so many casual noobs have been allowed to shape the direction of the racing genre to the point where noone is making racing games anymore, just flashy garbage where racing is just a SMALL sideshow to the main casual attractions mentioned above.

Hi I am the "casual noob" OP.

I've been playing racing games in the Amstrad, Amiga, PC, PS2, PS3 since 1986.

Nigel Mansells Grand Prix, Test Drive 1+2, Grand Prix Circuit, Stunts, Crammond's Grand Prix 1+2+3+4 (till death), Need for Speed (the very first one), Sports Car GT, Codemaster's rallies and TOCA, Grand Prix Legends, GTR1 & 2, and etc etc etc...

What makes you more of a veteran to show such arrogance? Make your comments about the ideas but keep the characterizations like "casual noobs" for yourself..
 
👍

I really wonder about the posters on this site sometimes. It seems the last thing most of them want is a RACING game. And that the vast majority wants a picture taking, glitch exploring, XP leveling, oil changing, car washing, video making mashup of a game centered around only premium model cars.

It's sad that so many casual noobs have been allowed to shape the direction of the racing genre to the point where noone is making racing games anymore, just flashy garbage where racing is just a SMALL sideshow to the main casual attractions mentioned above.

+1 👍

I am amazed at how adamant people get about GT5 being a 'sim', yet so little of the consequences of driving BADLY are 'sim'ed' at all. I say yes to permanent damage, and repair fees. Of course, not the insane engine and chassis rebuilds we have now, but closer to real world figures. Trust me, most of the 'bashers' online would only be able to afford ONE car in their garage and would be spinning SSr7 24/7 to pay for repairs caused online if I had my way (and they would have to pay for damage done to others' cars when the game decides it was them doing it!).

And that would result in either them driving more sanely, or leaving GT5 altogether

Win/win...

You want a sim, or you want an arcade game...? Right now, most people are bragging they have the former, but playing it like the latter. Make up your minds.
 
I would say yes as an option BUT there is so much other important stuff to implement or fix. I won't bore you with the tired list.
 
No to all thankyouverymuch. If I can have my way, I'd discard all this oil-change, engine-overhaul, chassis-restore silliness. Jut let me race and forget about having to worry about these mundane issues. I have enough of them IRL.
 
Back