Wow, how did I miss out on this game for so many years?

• Thread starter Davey
  • 36 comments
I only tried this game today with a Logitech Driving Force Pro (200 degrees steering). Me too, how could I have missed this jewel all these years? FF cars here finally behave like they should (and that's a very familiar behavior for me who I've only drove FF cars in my life)! Also in general it can be really felt that there are rubber tires on the car's wheels, not to mention the weight transfer. Cars in GT4 feel disconnected from the road in comparison. Transmissions appear to be modeled better too (although I really hate that kind of "clutch slip" when gears are engaged on manual transmissions), especially automatics (GT5 Time Trial corrected this with the 370Z, though)

Physics-wise, from what I've seen so far (mainly low power road-legal cars) I find it superior to GT4. Now I'm a bit worried about GT5 because I don't remember feeling so well the weight and the tyres in the downloadable GT5 Time Trial, but I admit I didn't play it much with the wheel.

Has anybody played GT5p (I don't have the game) extensively with a wheel and also got to try Enthusia? How do the two games compare physics-wise?

Bought this game back in Nov '04, US $30, for a long time it appeared as if I was the only one playing this. I stopped playing it when I got to RS LVL 10 with 5 Enthu points, using the RUF & Skyline R34 R-S v-spec.

The physics in this game was far ahead of it's time. I think that because of the realism, it turned the fun factor off for most people who tried it. For me it was a dream come true. A game with such a wonderful re-creation of driving physics.

It takes a much longer time to master this, than any other driving sim out there, even in today's standards. Only wish it were spec'd for widescreen 16:3 aspect ratio.

And, yes, it is a very intimidating game. Especially Dragon Range, uphill or down.

I think you mean Nov '05, DKLion3s. ;)

Having played GT5 now, I honestly found no reason to "upgrade" and stop playing Enthusia. As you say, the physics in Enthusia were ahead of their time, so much so that while FM3 and GT5 may include more details -- tire wear/temp, damage, etc. -- they still flub basic kinetics by comparison. And even excluding my favorite, the E30 M3 (which GT5 neglects), EPR has such a compelling array of cars; GT5 seems more polarized between the slowest of "civilian" cars and the fastest of sportscars, with little inbetween.

I haven't even driven many of the cars in EPR yet; I'm slowly working on upgrading them all to Lvl.10 in Enthusia Life. I find that's the best way to enjoy the merits and unique qualities of each car in the game. Recently I had a blast racing the Honda Civic RS and City Turbo II...I'm not a fan of FWD, but I'm a sucker for old cars, and these two did not disappoint. I even have a replay of my Civic RS besting an '05 Mustang and Silvia at Pacific Gateway. :D

Thanks for the correction there, Wolfe! My how time flies, when having fun!

I'm still enjoying EPR in a similar fashion, although it gets to me sometimes. Say for instance, I love driving the BMW F1 MaClaren, and even though I've managed to get it to lvl10, any race a enter with it now, is a loss. I always get thrown-in with the Audi R8 F1 and the Mazda 787b. Needless to say third is about as good as it gets. If I try to enter a lower ratio race, as you know, there goes my xp lvl.

Back