Wow The Graphics, Eugh The Physics

United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flaw3dGenius23
Played around 5 hours solid now after buying a PS4. So much hype on Neogaf on this game i had to purchase the console and the game. Been hearing over there how amazing the "dynamic AI" was, How great the controls were and how this is basically PGR but on PS...

How wrong were those guys? AI is just awful, They ram you from behind, The dont break until half way round a corner which means if you break before the corner...yep they hit you again. PGR...Eh how can anyone come to that conclusion? PGR is most likely my most played racer and if anything feels like it it's Horizon 2 going round Nice and the other towns.

Im also finding the sound is really abysmal unless you use the casuals favourite chase cam. In cockpit view it;'s as if the car is the best insulated bit of space in the world apart from crashes which will wake up your nieghbours since you have turned it right up to hear the engine.

The crash physics seem like they came straight out of GT5.

Okay...the good stuff...The graphics in overcast, The rain graphics, The heavy rains graphics all freaking amazing...Not so sure about the snow or sunny conditions (sunny conditions look cartoony?) The immersion because iof the lighting is superb!

Im i missing something the Neogaf crowd have jumped on? Or have the Playstation cmmuntity been starved of racers they accept anything as truly amazing and they are blinded by the awesome overcast/rain graphics?

Last edited:
i was slightly underwhelmed when I first started playing too. But the more I played, the more I started to notice the depth to the game.

Wait to you unlock the hyper cars, they take every ounce of concentration to do a fast clean lap and get the andrenaline going. The andrenaline part is something that was lacking in the GranTurismo games.

The AI are certainly competitive and unforgiving if you make a mistake. But I kinda like that, the AI in the GT games were a pushover by comparison and didn't really offer a challenge, which made them boring.

IMO the physics get better with the faster cars. Still not 100% perfect and sometimes inconsistent but certainly not bad though. The driving physic that I think is done poorly is the drifting, it just doesn't feel right and could really be improved.

I find the engine sounds to be pretty good and sound best on bumper or bonnet view.

Yes the graphics are a standout, the only next gen console racer at the moment.

Keep playing and it will grow on you.

Just as in real life. There's a reason why photographers stay away from sunny conditions.

Anyway, I don't agree with all of your complaints, but they are definitely valid.
That makes no sense. so your telling me that real life sunny conditions look unrealistic and cartoony? \:|

Real life photographers stay away from sunny conditions because they are boring. Not because they look cartoony.

That makes no sense. so your telling me that real life sunny conditions look unrealistic and cartoony? \:|

Real life photographers stay away from sunny conditions because they are boring. Not because they look cartoony.

I should've clarified, sorry. Sunny conditions almost always look terrible (harsh shadows, etc), so it is no surprise that is the case in DC, too, especially because of its dynamic nature.

I should've clarified, sorry. Sunny conditions almost always look terrible (harsh shadows, etc), so it is no surprise that is the case in DC, too, especially because of its dynamic nature.
Ok that makes more sense. :)

Im also finding the sound is really abysmal unless you use the casuals favourite chase cam. In cockpit view it;'s as if the car is the best insulated bit of space in the world apart from crashes which will wake up your nieghbours since you have turned it right up to hear the engine.

I have to argue against this. The sound in cockpit mode is amazing and most importantly, realistic. Most cars, espicially luxurious super cars, do have good sound insulation. And Driveclub absolutely nails it. It might not be as exciting as what you hear in Forza, but it is realistic. Fair enough if you prefer the more exciting loudness of other racers though.

Also, "casuals" aren't the only ones using 3rd person view.

Title reminds me on a post written in my forum yesterday. Guy said that graphics and weather effect in the game are **** (he must hate every racing game graphics then) and, because of that, that the game The Crew would be much better. Also complained about not being able to custom paint the cars and that the day/night time raffer would be way too fast. The guy highly seems like to need glasses or don't know what "settings and options" are.

@Topic:
Well, as much I love the game, I also think the A.I. is garbage. Especially since the last update as they just follow a line. Before the update, the A.I. was much more aggressive in my opinion and driven more "free style".

Interestingly you've only mentioned the A.I., the sound and the damage effects negatively. All these things aren't important for Hot Laps for example. So I assume that you find DriveClub at least an average game, right? Unfortunately you wrote nothing about the core part: the driving physics.

However, you said "so much hype" - maybe your expectations were too high.

Im also finding the sound is really abysmal

"Each reference car was fitted with at least 16 separate microphones to authentically capture the sounds of the engine from 360 degrees, inside and outside of the car. Some had four mics on the exhaust alone.

In-game, the engine sound reacts to your perspective. Pan around a stationary car gunning its engine and the sound shifts with the camera position (relative to where the engine is).

When you race, the engine sounds are different based on which of the six camera views you choose – inside or outside of the car. You’re not hearing the same engine audio with a filter – it’s all recorded separately.

The recordings were so accurate that BMW and Mercedes-Benz AMG requested copies to replace their existing library.

In many cases, Evolution’s audio captures are
the most high definition recordings of these cars in existence."

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

I don't think it's "abysmal". :P

When you get good at it, the AI becomes really good. Not sure what your point is with sounds, crank up the volume or use some headphones because they are stunning.

Im i missing something the Neogaf crowd have jumped on? Or have the Playstation cmmuntity been starved of racers they accept anything as truly amazing and they are blinded by the awesome overcast/rain graphics?

I agree with your whole post, I think Playstation users have been starved of oxygens.

Regarding the sound i've been on quite a number of track days and drove the 458 & 430 a number of times and these cars are loud in Driveclub dashcam or cockpit you can hardly hear the engine infact the rain is far louder, Also i used to own a Golf GTI mk6 and when pushed hard the engine was clearly heard...DC it's nearly as quiet as a electric car.

I will admit once you get used to the odd physics the game does become enjoyable but after all the hype the game has been getting on NeoGaf and places like Eurogamer i was expecting so much more.

Regarding the sound i've been on quite a number of track days and drove the 458 & 430 a number of times and these cars are loud in Driveclub dashcam or cockpit you can hardly hear the engine infact the rain is far louder, Also i used to own a Golf GTI mk6 and when pushed hard the engine was clearly heard...DC it's nearly as quiet as a electric car.

I will admit once you get used to the odd physics the game does become enjoyable but after all the hype the game has been getting on NeoGaf and places like Eurogamer i was expecting so much more.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but aside from the AI (which is a bit aggressive but awful no), rarely do I see someone say anything bad regards the crash physics or the sounds, like I said turn up the volume and if you have a decent pair of headphones give it a try.

I don't disagree about the in cockpit sounds maybe a bit low (not that ive drive any of the cars before) but abysmal sounds they are not.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but aside from the AI (which is a bit aggressive but awful no), rarely do I see someone say anything bad regards the crash physics or the sounds, like I said turn up the volume and if you have a decent pair of headphones give it a try.

I don't disagree about the in cockpit sounds maybe a bit low (not that ive drive any of the cars before) but abysmal sounds they are not.
Dont need headphones my sound setup costs over 2k, Also you cannot turn up the volume to much because the crash volume when the AI rams you is incredibly loud. Hopefully sound options could be patched in to the menu's.

"Each reference car was fitted with at least 16 separate microphones to authentically capture the sounds of the engine from 360 degrees, inside and outside of the car. Some had four mics on the exhaust alone.

In-game, the engine sound reacts to your perspective. Pan around a stationary car gunning its engine and the sound shifts with the camera position (relative to where the engine is).

When you race, the engine sounds are different based on which of the six camera views you choose – inside or outside of the car. You’re not hearing the same engine audio with a filter – it’s all recorded separately.

The recordings were so accurate that BMW and Mercedes-Benz AMG requested copies to replace their existing library.

In many cases, Evolution’s audio captures are
the most high definition recordings of these cars in existence."

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

I don't think it's "abysmal". :P

Having great sound samples is a good start, but the levels and balance needs to be good during playback as well.

When you get good at it, the AI becomes really good.

honestly I don't find the AI that great, they nearly never defend their position, they are very easy to pass, and speed-wise they could be a lot faster (some corners they are good then they inexplicably slow down in others), I would expect that at "legend" they should be very quick but on circuits I know well and especially on the wet I can give them 1-2 seconds/lap and finish way in the lead, and while fairly quick I'm definitely not the fastest driver out there at all.

I think the 'legend' AI should be recalibrated to not have random slowdowns and be more precise to be more of a challenge, or if that's not possible because it would make the tours too difficult (if the AI really drove as fast as you there's no way you can win a race starting from last in 4 laps!) there should be an additional higher difficulty one can only select when creating ad-hoc races

The AI is good at player awareness though when you are side-by-side, I've never had the AI just turn into me or anything so if you are say defending the inside line the AI correctly either tries on the outside or falls back and doesn't pass, this is better than for example emptybox's last video of project cars where in the straight the AI doored him every single time due to no awareness.

In terms of 'ramming from behind' they do that if you brake check or brake too early in the racing line, if you go online you're going to get hit just as much (if not more) if you do that, I guess evo should code the lower level AIs to try to avoid the player at all costs as this complaint seems to pop up quite often when people first get the game. Once you get faster this is never a problem anymore.

Just about completed the main tour, Hyper cars do sound louder in cockpit but not loud enough however they certainly make the game alot more fun. Going to purchase the weather races (bit cheeky being asked to pay for weather events) as i feel the main tour really could of been doing with it. Also purchased Apex pack so the game has grabbed me in a way.

Overall it defo becomes a fun game but PGR it aint! More like a Grid physics than PGR.

...(bit cheeky being asked to pay for weather events) as i feel the main tour really could of been doing with it...
The dynamic weather update unfortunately came in a month or two after launch, so that meant the main tour didn't have the extremes you'll find in the Elements Tour.

It's always there for you to recreate any of those main tour events in Single Event mode though, if you want.

The dynamic weather update unfortunately came in a month or two after launch, so that meant the main tour didn't have the extremes you'll find in the Elements Tour.

It's always there for you to recreate any of those main tour events in Single Event mode though, if you want.
Yeah i know just think that update should of been free.

...The "Elements (and Ignition) Tour Pack" was and is also free to download.
I thought the Elements tour pack was a paid DLC, which is I assume what was being got at. With so much that is free or inexpensive in the game, I don't really see the argument for it being free.

I thought the Elements tour pack was a paid DLC, which is I assume what was being got at.

I checked and sorry I was wrong, the Elements tour pack isn't free. Ignition and Photo Finish are free. The weather update itself is free (quoting "just think that update should of been free"). Nonetheless I also think that there should be free events with dynamic weather and the possibility to gathering stars...

Anyway, the game grabbed UkHardcore23 in a some way, which is cool. I think that the game is a "grower" because I also disliked it much at the beginning. Love it by now.

Last edited:
Yeah i defo like it, I mean the Elements DLC rather than update as the DLC finally brings races with weather...The main tour would of been so much better with weather added to it...Speaking of main tour it has been very easy so far (apart from 1 drift event) until today when i came up against the 2nd last event The Venom Hot Lap...Man that kicked my ass for a good 40 minutes!!

...Speaking of main tour it has been very easy so far (apart from 1 drift event) until today when i came up against the 2nd last event The Venom Hot Lap...Man that kicked my ass for a good 40 minutes!!
I take it you've only just started plying this (within a few weeks I mean.) If so, the game had a patch last month that took some of the fight out of the AI and reduced the punishment for clipping certain stretches of gravel, which was a bit of a shame.

Maybe they'll reverse that at some point and make it tougher again.

I take it you've only just started plying this (within a few weeks I mean.) If so, the game had a patch last month that took some of the fight out of the AI and reduced the punishment for clipping certain stretches of gravel, which was a bit of a shame.

Maybe they'll reverse that at some point and make it tougher again.

Started playing properly about 2 or 3 days ago yeah. Just completed the main tour just there.

I think i would of enjoyed the game more had it not been for the hype and PGR comparisons. Not to say im not enjoying it now though and that dashcam is genius every racer needs that cam from now on!

Last edited:
I still use 3rd person cam, although I might consider this other cam if it can make me faster! :lol:

I got a very big surprise with this game as well. I think my anger came from not getting the PS plus version when I had just bought a year of PS plus to get it lol. But when I saw it was only £20 in the local game shop I decided to give it a try.

Like most people on here I get more fun from the solo stuff when I can really so how fast I can go with out getting rear shunted into corners.

I have to argue against this. The sound in cockpit mode is amazing and most importantly, realistic. Most cars, espicially luxurious super cars, do have good sound insulation. And Driveclub absolutely nails it. It might not be as exciting as what you hear in Forza, but it is realistic. Fair enough if you prefer the more exciting loudness of other racers though.
The sound is muffled well. That's about it. The engine sounds themselves remain poor. The excellent recording methods the developers went through did not translate well into good samples. They sound fake and digital, some of them don't even sound like the actual car e.g the mclaren f1 sounds nothing like the real one.

The sound is muffled well. That's about it. The engine sounds themselves remain poor. The excellent recording methods the developers went through did not translate well into good samples. They sound fake and digital, some of them don't even sound like the actual car e.g the mclaren f1 sounds nothing like the real one.

Not true at all. Judging from YouTube videos at least, the McLaren F1 sounds very similiar to the real deal. Not perfect, and could be a bit louder, but still quite close.

Back