WRC 9 Coming in September 2020, Will Hit PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X Later

Just got the game for Xbox One X.

Edit: Oh and I managed to fix the issue by reinstalling WRC 8 but now I want to try WRC 9 that the Deluxe Edition is on sale for half off.

EDIT: I can't figure out how to change the transmission from automatic to manual.

Last edited:
Just got the game for Xbox One X.

Edit: Oh and I managed to fix the issue by reinstalling WRC 8 but now I want to try WRC 9 that the Deluxe Edition is on sale for half off.

I've just started playing it on XB1X, it's has subtle improvements over 8, the handling is improved for sure. I really enjoy the R5 cars, I can drive them much harder yet retain control. The feeling of being on the ragged edge is simply amazing. And the bonus cars seem to have personality this time round & are quite enjoyable, barring the 2016 WRC Polo I didn't like any of them in 8. Im not sure about the dumbing down of the puddles though, as much as I hated them in 8 I now think their too tame, ie no effect, somewhere in the middle would have been better.

Last edited:
I've just started playing it on XB1X, it's has subtle improvements over 8, the handling is improved for sure. I really enjoy the R5 cars, I can drive them much harder yet retain control. The feeling of being on the ragged edge is simply amazing. And the bonus cars seem to have personality this time round & are quite enjoyable l, barring the 2016 WRC Polo I didn't like any of them in 8. Im not sure about the dumbing down of the puddles though, as much as I hated them in 8 I now think their too tame, ie no effect, somewhere in the middle would have been better.
I was able to drive with manual transmission by just restarting the game.
Weird. I swear I couldn't see the transmission option till I restarted it. I spent a good 15 minutes looking for it.
Regarding the game itself, I like the subtle visual changes with HDR.
I like the higher res option for Xbox One X. I don't like the frame stuttering glitches but it is tolerable.
Regarding the handling, the cars do feel more planted to the ground.
I remember having trouble with Junior WRC on WRC 8 as the cars had way too much understeer.
In WRC 9, you can powerslide your FF Focus by applying hard brakes and going full throttle.

One thing I noticed is that the handbrake is not a progressive as in Dirt Rally 2.0
In WRC 9 it is on or off and that makes hairpins and square turns a bit harder to judge.

EDIT #3: I don't want to create another message as it looks like I am spamming.
Anyways, does anyone know how to make your wheel self center?
I have tried Dirt Rally 2.0 and the wheel fights you to self center and that is realistic, but in WRC 9 it is completely dead and that is extremely hard when doing certain rallys.
I had to completely forfeit Montecarlo because of this.

Last edited:
Anyone play this using a DriveHub on console?

Looking into picking this up for xbox series x since it's not on gamepass

@Spitfire77 -- Assuming it helps, I've tried my DriveHub and G25 with WRC 8 on PS4 and really enjoyed it. Good FFB and a very solid experience in that combo.

Yeah not sure, I couldn't play Dirt 5 until I updated to the latest beta driver for the drive hub. so maybe?

Thank you though.

WRC 9 is on sale xbox.. maybe should just pick it up. Deluxe edition is $24, regular is $20

Edit - Does this game support analog handbrake or is it digital on/off only?

Last edited:
WRC 9 is on sale xbox.. maybe should just pick it up. Deluxe edition is $24, regular is $20

Edit - Does this game support analog handbrake or is it digital on/off only?
Certainly on PC it’s analog, I would assume it’s the same for console

Wauw, the stages in this game are really something! Portugal stages just blew me away, through the hills, villages, on top of the hills, forrests, all in one stage. This game gives me the feeling of colin mcrea 2.

The adaptive triggers do strain my hand hands when playing to long. Especially when I severely damaged my car....

Just got a Series S so have finally been able to play the enhanced version of this. Man, the 60fps mode has COMPLETELY changed this game. Its something very special. Feels like there's way more than just frame rate, feels like a different game.
It’s a massive difference isn’t it?
I went from std PS4 and being unable to play wrc8 without getting a headache, I even felt somewhat epileptic at times the frame pacing was so bad.
Enter the ps5 and wrc9 and wow, what a difference, now we’re talking, I can finally see what kyloton are capable of. Only problem is I’m now sad that they’ve lost the wrc contract to codemasters, and I’m saying that as the biggest fan of dirt rally 2.0!

I went from std PS4 and being unable to play wrc8 without getting a headache, I even felt somewhat epileptic at times the frame pacing was so bad.
Enter the ps5 and wrc9 and wow, what a difference, now we’re talking, I can finally see what kyloton are capable of. Only problem is I’m now sad that they’ve lost the wrc contract to codemasters, and I’m saying that as the biggest fan of dirt rally 2.0!

Same. I did enjoy WRC9 before but I did struggle over longer gaming sessions with its jankyness compared to Dirt Rally 2.0 (which I'm also a massive fan of, nearly 300 hours last check) which runs so smokth by comparison. But yeah WRC9 now is a different beast, mot just graphically but it feels like there is a lot more finesse in the car control. Feel like I can push much harder than I could before.

Hi guys,

having been an hardcore fan of WRC8 (on PC) i was naturally buying the WRC9 to see what was going on.

Well, i have to say, from the youtube previews the first thing i was noticing on gameplays was that cars were awfully skating,

and infact the first thing i noticed comparing to WRC8 when i push "Start" was... skating.

WTF in WRC8 i had the damn sensation of being in THAT car, while in WRC9 it seems i'm playing some 10 years old race game.

Moreover, i find it MUCH MORE easier than WRC8.

With all helps off, damage realistic, 100% difficulty i easily win everyhing.

With the same parameters on WRC8 i had a cat&mouse deadly race in doubt to get the 2nd place.

On this, i add it micro-stutters on my PC with 60% GPU usage (but that can be some kind of compatibility but nonetheless is negative).

To close. It's EXACTLY as WRC8. What are the differences? Same gameplay, same roles, same mechanisms, same everything.

Honestly it's as if i was playing WRC8 with worst experience. So for me... hands off completely.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

having been an hardcore fan of WRC8 (on PC) i was naturally buying the WRC9 to see what was going on.

Well, i have to say, from the youtube previews the first thing i was noticing on gameplays was that cars were awfully skating,

and infact the first thing i noticed comparing to WRC8 when i push "Start" was... skating.

WTF in WRC8 i had the damn sensation of being in THAT car, while in WRC9 it seems i'm playing some 10 years old race game.

With the same parameters on WRC8 i had a cat&mouse deadly race in doubt to get the 2nd place.

On this, i add it micro-stutters on my PC with 60% GPU usage (but that can be some kind of compatibility but nonetheless is negative).

To close. It's EXACTLY as WRC8. What are the differences? Same gameplay, same roles, same mechanisms, same everything.

Honestly it's as if i was playing WRC8 with worst experience. So for me... hands off completely.

I respect your opinion of course, but it sounds like you’re playing a different game to me haha

Hi guys,

WRC9 is far more planted than WRC8 and any of the ones that came before. I actually found WRC8 to be janky to the point of being unplayable, I tried to refund it I found it that bad.

WRC9 isn't perfect but it's a vast improvement on 8. If you've got realistic damage on, 100% AI and you're easily winning everything then you are a very skilled player, the damage is very unforgiving even with bumps and jumps doing damage. Still, try boosting it up to 150 and see how you get on.

With that said, the AI isn't perfect as it still just uses set times rather than simulating how the cars go down the stage like some other (not all) rally games. Which can lead to inconsistencies.

I'm also confused to your issues? You open saying it feels completely different to 8 because the cars are skating and it's too asy and you end by saying its exactly as WRC8, what's the differences? Physics wise, the tyre modelling and suspension was vastly improved, especially on gravel, and the cars weight plays a bigger factor with weight distribution and weight transfer being a much bigger part of the driving experience.

Thank you all for the reply.
Believe me that is utmostly strange.

You open saying it feels completely different to 8 because the cars are skating and it's too asy and you end by saying its exactly as WRC8, what's the differences? Physics wise, the tyre modelling and suspension was vastly improved, especially on gravel, and the cars weight plays a bigger factor with weight
distribution and weight transfer being a much bigger part of the driving experience.

Yes, i feel it's just like an easier version of WRC8 with worse physics, but everything else the same.

What you are saying about wrc8 and 9 (physics especially) is right upside down what i'm experiencing.

I'm applying custom settings to car far less brainy then the same effort i had to put to obtain similar results in WRC8.

You're playing on PC or console?

Last edited:
Go Go Go...!
Hehe, its tempting but im reminded of this by @FrankieStail
So i think it's better i wait to be on a newer platform. Hi Frank, by the way, and thanks for the info.

In the meantime i have lot i can do on wrc8, unless wrc9 is smoother on std ps4 than 8 but from Frank's post, it doesn't seem so.

Cheers buddy.

Hehe, its tempting but im reminded of this by @FrankieStail

So i think it's better i wait to be on a newer platform. Hi Frank, by the way, and thanks for the info.

In the meantime i have lot i can do on wrc8, unless wrc9 is smoother on std ps4 than 8 but from Frank's post, it doesn't seem so.

Cheers buddy.
I’d steer clear of wrc on standard PS4, although to be fair I’d only played 8 on PS4, never tried 9 on it as I’d my ps5 when I got it.
Unfortunately don’t have my PS4 to test it on for you as I traded it for an Xbox series s for the kids to play on.

Still, can’t see the janky frame pacing being much different between the two, it would depend on whether you found wrc8 played acceptable on your PS4 for your eyes. I’ll be honest, I found wrc 7 and 8 on std PS4 worse for headaches than acc.

I’d steer clear of wrc on standard PS4, although to be fair I’d only played 8 on PS4, never tried 9 on it as I’d my ps5 when I got it.
Unfortunately don’t have my PS4 to test it on for you as I traded it for an Xbox series s for the kids to play on.

Still, can’t see the janky frame pacing being much different between the two, it would depend on whether you found wrc8 played acceptable on your PS4 for your eyes. I’ll be honest, I found wrc 7 and 8 on std PS4 worse for headaches than acc.
I agree for sure, i cant deal much with wrc8 on my std ps4 anymore after trying more dr1, dirt4 dr2.
Its tiring, and can't even see clear ahead.
Also the sound is tiring, and not fun much at all.

Anyone compared wrc8 to 9 on std ps4 regarding optimization and sound too?

I agree for sure, i cant deal much with wrc8 on my std ps4 anymore after trying more dr1, dirt4 dr2.
Its tiring, and can't even see clear ahead.
Also the sound is tiring, and not fun much at all.

Anyone compared wrc8 to 9 on std ps4 regarding optimization and sound too?
There’s not much (if any) difference between WRC8 & 9 sounds and frame rates. I’m on PS4 Pro.

Meanwhile I won’t be getting WRC 10 on PS4 unless it’s at a steep discount like under $20. I’m done with the mediocre performance this game has been on consoles.

Or more likely, I may not revisit this series until I get a PC or PS5 which I’ve got no rush to do.

I struggled a lot with WRC8. WRC9 drives so much better with a gamepad, it’s quite remarkable. Am playing on Ps5, though. Haptic triggers also add a lot.

I struggled a lot with WRC8. WRC9 drives so much better with a gamepad, it’s quite remarkable. Am playing on Ps5, though. Haptic triggers also add a lot.
I see, yeah i find wrc8 with a pad too sensitive even at lowest setting, which is still really sensitive, especially on tarmac, and with 4wd or fwd.
Is sound cleaner to you? Less noisy mess.

Downloaded the ps5 version, is there a way to transfer your saves? Especially the control, wheel settings, and setups?
And pov, adjustments in povs, cockpit pov etc?

It runs smooth at least, not a miserable experience like on ps4,,but i don't know, it looks pretty crap to me hehe,,with smoothness you notice more the basic graphics.

Can't say im impressed with anything about it too, tried it fast with the pad and wheel after.

The haptics, there's a resistance at the beginning of throttle, often, then it's loose feel pressing it more, doesn't make sense or feel good, makes smooth throttling more of a mess.

The wheel,,i just tried it without all my settings i had, but i don't know, pretty underwhelming for now.

I hope wrc10 looks nicer at least in the ps5 version than 9 lol.

Edit: also wrc9 ps5 crashed when just loaded a japan stage...👍KT..

Edit2: tried a little more now on tarmac this time, with the wheel, feels good of course, trying in hood view, the cockpit view i dont know, i probably need my settings from ps4 version.

I wonder if all settings, especially ffb, will give same results as in the ps4 version?
Or is there some difference between the version that will make adjustments vary.

Edit: did set all manually my,settings from ps4 version to ps5, pretty good now, with some more tweaking.

Also i up my tv brightness to plus 25, helps a lot for visibility and looks nicer really too.

They should add a brightness setting in game..

Last edited:
Back