WRC, ERC and national rallying 2024Rally 

Analysis: WRC teams weigh in on Rally2 replacing Rally1 debate

Interesting article about the potential Rally2 replacement for Rally1.

Rally1 cars are now allowed to be run in WRC without hybrid, though not for WRC points. But it could create a new category for other championships.
"The FIA has also now interestingly permitted Rally1 cars to be run in the WRC without hybrid kits this year, with the caveat that they are not eligible for manufacturer points. This could potentially keep the current technology teams that have invested millions already and eliminate the cost of hybrid technology. It also allows for Rally1 cars to be used in national competitions and therefore could make the cars more viable and accessible for young drivers and privateers."
The quotes from the manufacturers' representatives show they haven't decided anything yet, and they all have slightly varying viewpoints.

Latvala, Toyota:
“These [Rally1 cars] are great machines, I would say they are fast, safe and they look good and they sound good, but they are very, very expensive. We don’t have privateers as we used to have in the older days. Moving to Rally2 or let’s say Rally2 Plus would solve many of the issues especially cost-wise, which could allow privateers to come and run in the top class."
Abiteboul, Hyundai:
“We are trying to address mainly the cost issue and we are trying to engage with the fanbase, it could be a solution but is it [Rally2] the right solution for the manufacturers to stay invested and market our best in automotive technology? Then Rally2 is not the solution.”
Millener, M Sport:
“For me personally, we need a pinnacle. The funding is a very important part of the sport but if we have the following, the media interest and people around the sport, then the money comes with that element and that is maybe where we are missing at the moment. I think we need to think about how to make it more appealing and entertaining for people and how we can get more people to see the sport."
Seems unlikely anything will change for 2025 if nothing's been decided yet.

Analysis: WRC teams weigh in on Rally2 replacing Rally1 debate

Interesting article about the potential Rally2 replacement for Rally1.

Rally1 cars are now allowed to be run in WRC without hybrid, though not for WRC points. But it could create a new category for other championships.

The quotes from the manufacturers' representatives show they haven't decided anything yet, and they all have slightly varying viewpoints.

Latvala, Toyota:

Abiteboul, Hyundai:

Millener, M Sport:

Seems unlikely anything will change for 2025 if nothing's been decided yet.
Hyundai were never going to be onboard with it, with their shift away from combustion only engines in road cars, there’s no sense for them there. Millener has the right idea in terms of what needs to be done but it’s easier to say than it is to do.

Here we go folks, it’s race weekend!

Tanak was quickest in the shakedown ahead of Evans, strong start back in the Hyundai.

Todays action starts under darkness, with 2 special stages totalling 46km:

Last edited:
The atmosphere in the town at the start of SS2 looked incredible.

Windows 11 won't let me screenshot RallyTV for obvious reasons so best I can do is rubbish phone pics :lol:

1000000606.jpg

IMG_20240125_235010.jpg

1000000607.jpg

1000000608.jpg

Last edited:
Thierry Neuville takes round 1! Fastest on Saturday, Sunday and the Power Stage winner gives him the maximum points under the new point system.

Shout out to Seb Ogier, lost a family member this week and powered through emotion for a strong P2 finished. Solid performance also from Adrien Fourmaux.

Yes very impressed with Fourmaux’s drive here, I reckon the puma isn’t too far away this season either and we can look forward to hopefully a podium in the not too distant future for msport.

Edited for language, didn’t see that.

Basically, points system - ridiculous. Great result for Neuville though.

Last edited:
Fourmaux finished right where I was hoping. Keep the car clean and be right around Taka-San pace wise. Munster impressed me too. Mikkelsen did exactly what he needed to do as well, finish with some decent pace. Anyone else notice that Gryazin is racing under a Bulgarian license this year?

Fourmaux finished right where I was hoping. Keep the car clean and be right around Taka-San pace wise. Munster impressed me too. Mikkelsen did exactly what he needed to do as well, finish with some decent pace. Anyone else notice that Gryazin is racing under a Bulgarian license this year?
Gryazin got a Bulgarian passport.

Cracker of a WRC2 race. Was pulling for Gryazin since I used to do league rallies with him in RBR.

What great drives from him, López, and Rossel.

Great season opener. Awesome atmosphere especially thursday night, incredible footage, and a close battle allmost to the end. I'm very happy for Thierry. He's incredibly talented and seems a genuine nice guy. I hope he can break the Toyota domination this season.

Ott Tanak back to his usual bad luck, I feel sorry for him even though he's far from my favorite driver. I've never heard this man say anything positive, but at the start of the rally he seemed happy to be back with Hyundai at least.

Ireland, Saudi Arabia and Paraguay poised for 2025.

Paraguay is a rumour currently but talks have apparently been held. Saudi Arabia could have 3 distinctive days, with a day of mountain roads, a day of volcanic roads and a day of desert racing to create a unique event.

Ireland, Saudi Arabia and Paraguay poised for 2025.

Paraguay is a rumour currently but talks have apparently been held. Saudi Arabia could have 3 distinctive days, with a day of mountain roads, a day of volcanic roads and a day of desert racing to create a unique event.
Seems like 3 good events to add. Ireland is great and the 3 day idea for KSA is interesting. Paraguay is a great idea as the return of Argentina has virtually no chance anymore given the policies and changes happening under the Milei government. The Argentinian MotoGP round is gone already.

How about a hard no for you-know-whose additional sportswashing. WRC is one of the only major international divisions left these days that still doesn't go to 💩hole countries, which gives it a pretty uniquely good vibe.

If they so badly wanted a Middle Eastern rally, the already previously used venue at Jordan is right in the neighborhood, with the added bonus of not being a country that endorses hacksawing people in embassies.

Lets stop America and the UK hosting international events for all the atrocities they have committed, Lets stop all the European nations because of their colonial crimes...? I am obviously not supporting the things Saudi Arabia have done but if having a squeaky clean conscience was a pre-requisite for any country to be allowed to hold international sporting events... We wouldn't have any at all

Lets stop America and the UK hosting international events for all the atrocities they have committed, Lets stop all the European nations because of their colonial crimes...? I am obviously not supporting the things Saudi Arabia have done but if having a squeaky clean conscience was a pre-requisite for any country to be allowed to hold international sporting events... We wouldn't have any at all
Not to mention the fuel and oil being used in every motorsport has a very high probability of coming from Saudi.

I like it, Something that held the Hyundai's back livery wise for me were the odd coloured wheels. This is much more appealing in my opinion.

Morning drama in Sweden, Tanak and overnight leader Rovanpera are both out of the rally, hitting snowbanks and damaging their cars enough to put them out of the day. Likely both will restart tomorrow and aim for the Sunday points.

1. Katstuta
2. Lappi +11.4s
3. Evans +13.3s
4. Formaux +18.7s
5. Neuville +40.5s
6. Solberg +1m09s (WRC2)

Last edited:
Come on Elfyn. 👏 :)

Good chance for a Fourmaux/M-Sport podium too! Solberg on fire. Won every WRC2 stage so far

Last edited:
Back