WRC, ERC and national rallying 2024Rally 

A Katsuta win in Sweden would be the most random thing ever.

Road position counting for so much here though, Neuville saying he can't even see the corners till they're on him. Evans still very much in range though.

Last edited:
SS4, Floda. Munster also got a puncture.
Sorry, I made the edit without even looking at the article you linked that specifically stated as such. 😅

From what I've seen it seems Evans really got the short end of the stick this afternoon, he's effectively the guinea pig with how treacherous those conditions are...

Sorry, I made the edit without even looking at the article you linked that specifically stated as such. 😅

From what I've seen it seems Evans really got the short end of the stick this afternoon, he's effectively the guinea pig with how treacherous those conditions are...
I suspect dirty tactics from Hyundai there. Renault F1 kind of tactics. Good thing Hyundai WRC team has nothing to do with Renault. Oh, wait...

@MagpieRacer

If I remember correctly a WRC2 finishing on the overall podium was one of your longshot predictions before the season started...
Plenty of time left obviously but who knows! :)

@MagpieRacer

If I remember correctly a WRC2 finishing on the overall podium was one of your longshot predictions before the season started...
Plenty of time left obviously but who knows! :)
It was indeed. With Takas issue this morning as well it keeps getting more likely. Like you say though, day and a half yet.

As I say that the WRC2 cars are off the podium. Still, Formaux can keep pressure on Lappi and my other prediction of an M-Sport win could happen.

Last edited:
One WRC1 driver (unknown who) lost his driving license after speeding on a transport stage. Two drivers from other classes lost their license as well and a total of 17 drivers were fined.

EP wins again at last! Kept it clean and out of trouble. Evans P2 and Formaux P3.

Pos.DriverTime
1.Lappi2hrs 33min 04.9sec
2.Evans+29.6sec
3.Fourmaux+47.9sec
4.Neuville+1min 46.3sec
5.Solberg+5mins 04.2sec
6.Pajari+6mins 23.9sec

Super Sunday results:

Pos.DriverTime
1.Evans28min 19.5sec
2.Rovanperä+3.9sec
3.Neuville+17.6sec
4.Tänak+20.1sec
5.Fourmaux+35.0sec
6.Katsuta+42.1sec
7.Lappi+53.4sec

Power stage
Rovanperä
Evans +0.039s
Neuville +0.124s
Tänak +0.611s
Katsuta +2.6s

This means Evans outscores rally winner Lappi, 24 points to 19 with all points factored.

Rally points

Championship standings.
Neuville48
Evans45
Fourmaux29
Ogier24
Tanak21
Lappi19
Katsuta12
Rovanpera11

Last edited:
This means Evans outscores rally winner Lappi, 24 points to 19 with all points factored.
I can't put into words how much this pisses me off.

The guy who won the rally scores 5 points less than the person who finished 2nd
The guy who finished 4th almost 2 minutes off the lead scores only 1 point less
Bertelli finished 10th yet doesn't score a point whilst Rovanpera who was 39th scores 11!

This is the worst point system I have ever seen and I'm a long time NASCAR viewer, at least their playoffs rewards winners. I can only hope somebody goes on a tear for the rest of this season so the right driver is crowned champion and we go back to a proper points system for 2025 (I wouldn't mind dropping power stage points too).

Shame because it was a great rally and I'm really happy for EP to win again, thoroughly deserved.

Even though I'm an Evans fan and he clearly benefitted from this I have to agree. There was nothing wrong with the old system. Maybe they could have added another bonus for most Stages won to try and make all stages count to something. This isn't it though.

I've always thought that they should run the WRC2 and Juniors through the stages first to stop any shenanigans in the Rally 1's revolving around road order as well.

Last edited:

Bertelli finished 10th yet doesn't score a point whilst Rovanpera who was 39th scores 11!

This is the worst point system I have ever seen and I'm a long time NASCAR viewer, at least their playoffs rewards winners. I can only hope somebody goes on a tear for the rest of this season so the right driver is crowned champion and we go back to a proper points system for 2025 (I wouldn't mind dropping power stage points too).

Shame because it was a great rally and I'm really happy for EP to win again, thoroughly deserved.
I have to agree. It really is pathetic.

What gets me is that the WRC was in a position where they needed to do something to shake it up because really nobody was bothering with it. Only two actual manufacturers, viewing figures unrecognisable from its boom in the 1990s/early 2000s, even from the (briefly very successful) 2017 reboot. And this is what they came up with to make it more appealing? It’s no wonder it’s not in a great place is it.

I’m happy for Lappi to get a second win finally though, at least. When he burst onto the scene with that Rally Finland win in 2017 I really didn’t think it’d take him seven years to get another one. He’s been unlucky, but he’s also maybe been quite good at falling out with his employers which hasn’t helped.

Last edited:

Hybrids ditched from next season among a raft of other changes.

The FIA’s WRC Working Group delivered its roadmap for the WRC’s future, which included detail on promotion, sporting and technical objectves. New regulations will be drafted by the WRC Commission and delivered to the June meeting of the World Motor Sport Council for ratification.

The overhaul to Rally1 cars – which also includes a reduction in power through a smaller turbo restrictor and more limited aerodynamics – comes alongside the delivery of Rally2+ cars. Current level Rally2 cars can be fitted with a WRC kit comprising a bigger restrictor, optional paddle shift, more aero and a bigger exhaust.

These changes, to be implemented in time for 2025 with the aim of narrowing the gap between the top two tiers, will make the current hybrid-powered Rally1 cars defunct at the end of their third year at the top of the World Rally Championship.

In addition to the changes for 2025, the Working Group proposes significantly revised regulations for 2026. Based on the Rally1 concept, the new cars will utilise a common safety cell, allowing manufacturers or tuners to develop rally cars using their own bodywork from B-class, C-class, Compact SUV or a Concept Car – performance will be equalized via center of gravity and aerodynamics.

The power for the 2026 cars will be capped at 330bhp and controlled by a reference torque curve. The cars will be cost capped at €400,000 (US$433,000) with engine and transmission technology coming from Rally2 cars to help in that direction.

The final technical directive is centered on the implementation of an electric category as soon as possible. The FIA’s technical department has been charged with establishing suitable rules which would retain the Rally1 safety cell and achieve performance parity with sustainably fuelled Rally1 cars.

Last edited:

Even though I'm an Evans fan and he clearly benefitted from this I have to agree. There was nothing wrong with the old system. Maybe they could have added another bonus for most Stages won to try and make all stages count to something. This isn't it though.

I've always thought that they should run the WRC2 and Juniors through the stages first to stop any shenanigans in the Rally 1's revolving around road order as well.
As always, I was absolutely on top of my game and listened to Autosport's WRC 24 preview podcast after the Swedish Rally. Anyway, one of the talking points was the new point system. One of the participants worked out that in 2023 the standing would have been the same, just with smaller differences - no idea whether it's true, didn't looked into it. What really caught my attention though was a few interview bits with Evans, Tanak and Neuville. Evans specifically was completely against it and painted the very picture of the '24 Swedish Rally, saying that the wins are devalued by the new system.

Hybrids ditched from next season among a raft of other changes.

The FIA’s WRC Working Group delivered its roadmap for the WRC’s future, which included detail on promotion, sporting and technical objectves. New regulations will be drafted by the WRC Commission and delivered to the June meeting of the World Motor Sport Council for ratification.

The overhaul to Rally1 cars – which also includes a reduction in power through a smaller turbo restrictor and more limited aerodynamics – comes alongside the delivery of Rally2+ cars. Current level Rally2 cars can be fitted with a WRC kit comprising a bigger restrictor, optional paddle shift, more aero and a bigger exhaust.

These changes, to be implemented in time for 2025 with the aim of narrowing the gap between the top two tiers, will make the current hybrid-powered Rally1 cars defunct at the end of their third year at the top of the World Rally Championship.

In addition to the changes for 2025, the Working Group proposes significantly revised regulations for 2026. Based on the Rally1 concept, the new cars will utilise a common safety cell, allowing manufacturers or tuners to develop rally cars using their own bodywork from B-class, C-class, Compact SUV or a Concept Car – performance will be equalized via center of gravity and aerodynamics.

The power for the 2026 cars will be capped at 330bhp and controlled by a reference torque curve. The cars will be cost capped at €400,000 (US$433,000) with engine and transmission technology coming from Rally2 cars to help in that direction.

The final technical directive is centered on the implementation of an electric category as soon as possible. The FIA’s technical department has been charged with establishing suitable rules which would retain the Rally1 safety cell and achieve performance parity with sustainably fuelled Rally1 cars.

Very interesting. I'm more of a circuit racing fan in general, rally fascinates me. As with many people, my teenage years put a really influential stamp on me. Thus my favorite era would be the '90s and Group A rallying. I miss those cars, somehow they were more relatable, the current crop of Rally1 cars have no aura around them. Of course, maybe I'm just an idiot :)

Current level Rally2 cars can be fitted with a WRC kit comprising a bigger restrictor, optional paddle shift, more aero and a bigger exhaust.
To me this reads like they're creating a backup plan for if the updated Rally1 regulations don't take off.

The full objectives from the FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting are here (looks like the Dirtfish article has covered all the major ones though):

If it gets more manufacturers to join I'm all for it. The common safety cell, and possibility of using concept cars as a base should help with that. I know it's an EV, but it means Renault could use the R5 Turbo concept as a base... :D

Though selfishly I have to say I'm also looking forward to not having to deal with hybrids in the next WRC games. :lol:

If it gets more manufacturers to join I'm all for it. The common safety cell, and possibility of using concept cars as a base should help with that. I know it's an EV, but it means Renault could use the R5 Turbo concept as a base... :D

Though selfishly I have to say I'm also looking forward to not having to deal with hybrids in the next WRC games. :lol:
Hopefully it doesn't put manufacturers off as well. Hyundai for example have wrapped combustion for the N cars so there's seemingly little incentive for them to stay unless they develop an electric rally1 car.

Hopefully it doesn't put manufacturers off as well. Hyundai for example have wrapped combustion for the N cars so there's seemingly little incentive for them to stay unless they develop an electric rally1 car.
They mention that they're also developing a viable ruleset for EVs to compete as well though. I think it's not impossible that a manufacturer would enter with a combustion car to develop a base in the optics of switching to an EV a year or two down the line.

Manufacturers might also think just having a recognizable body shell would be enough as a promotional tool, even if the production car is an EV. Kind of like Alpine in F1 and WEC at the moment, the brand is becoming a full EV brand but they're still there.

Only for Europe, ICE N cars remain for the rest of the world.

Rest In Peace to the great Marcello Gandini, Designer of countless legendary cars. Lancia Stratos, Renault 5 Turbo and Citroen BX being the ones associated with Rallying.

1710530313723.png

Last edited:
Melvyn Evans finally has an upgrade over his trusty VW Golf R5s he and his son have been running for the last few years.

Two Yaris R2's to run in the BRC with his son Meirion and Chris Ingram as team mates. Chris Ingram will be running the first and possibly second event in a Polo R5 as the team has yet to receive delivery of the second car.

That livery 🔥🔥🔥🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

1000000648.jpg

1000000647.jpg

1000000646.jpg

1000000649.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to the BRC season even more, Osian Pryce and Max McRae have confirmed entries in Fiesta Rally 2's. Going to be a great entry list.

Garry Pearson, William Creighton and Keith Cronin will be frontrunners too.

ITV have released the date and time of the highlights show of the first event. Would have preferred the show to not be so long after the event but I'm just thankful for ITV covering it all to be honest.
1711076623595.png

Max McRae
1711076047872.png

Osian Pryce
1711076125145.png

Last edited:
Back