Wrong HP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A well-known glitch for which no-one has ever offered a satisfactory explanation.

I don't mean to step into a closed thread, but perhaps the concept of the (presently defunct) 276-horsepower Gentleman's Agreement was used for many of the Japanese "supercars", simulating what you'd expect to find in GT2. In the recent past, many production-based or OEM-plus cars that are available in dealerships in Japan must report no more than 280 PS (276 horsepower) in sales brochures. I assume car magazines and the rest of the aftermarket industry then puts the car or engine on a [wikipedia]dynometer[/wikipedia], and reports different results.

With that said, many cars, if not most, have HP ratings that increase and decrease for no apparent reason in GT2, regardless of the nation of its manufacture, such as the Special Mini Rally Car (77hp → 200+hp) and the Daihatsu Sirion Rally Car (470hp → 427hp) when you purchase them and view them in your garage. Some are just a few ponies here and there, and others are offset by wider margins.

Then, there's the odd miscalculation/mistranslation from PS to HP (HP seems to increase by about 1.5%) when tuning a car between entering a race and before you start the race itself.

We chalk it up to the "December of 1999 Deadline" that Polyphony Digital must have been handed by Sony, so that the North American audience would have the game on the shelves just before Christmas of 1999. There's a whole thread dedicated to its errors, quirks, and other weirdness here.

Last edited:
There's that, but alone they don't cover the sheer disparity between the various horsepower readings (which can be different in the dealership, garage, garage overview, arcade mode and race replays).

I guess the caveat that "appearance and performance may differ from real life" applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back