Xbox Cloud Gaming Comes to Consoles, Including Forza Horizon 5

Hot take, but at this point Microsoft is doing more for gaming than Sony is.
Hasn't that been the case for the past 5 years or so?

Either way, I tried FH5 with Xcloud on my laptop out of curiosity, and despite it being somewhat playable, I just couldn't see the appeal unless you have blazing fast internet. The resolution would consistently drop. The latency was noticeable, but it was consistent.

It just reminded me of the OnLive platform from around 2010.

Just tried it out there, didn’t think it would work on my internet but was pleasantly surprised. Played the first part of fh5 on my series s and it looked good for the most part, dropped res only occasionally but frame rate stayed constant for me.
Good going Microsoft! (Words I never thought I’d say)

Just tried it out there, didn’t think it would work on my internet but was pleasantly surprised. Played the first part of fh5 on my series s and it looked good for the most part, dropped res only occasionally but frame rate stayed constant for me.
Good going Microsoft! (Words I never thought I’d say)
What device did you try it on? I can't seem to get cloud services on apple and on PC it wants a US only account

Hot take, but at this point Microsoft is doing more for gaming than Sony is.
If you're considering more options to play their games than yes.

However, I'd argue that Microsoft is more likely to try to make a profit off of anything. Take for example online gaming. Before Xbox Live we never had to pay for playing online. Now it is not only standard on Xbox, but now it's become the norm for Playstation and Nintendo. Another example was when Xbox One was announced, the plan was that physical games would be connected owner and could not traded in along with having to pay for their monthly subscription just to get onto Facebook. To me that's more for their own monetary gain rather than for the good of gaming/service.

Overall I'm not at all excited for cloud gaming. Can you imagine if this starts becoming norm? You never actually will own any of your games, and you can only play it as long as you have a subscription. Also, could exclusives come to cloud gaming making it a requirement to have subscription to play game or DLC to a game? In a way Nintendo is already starting to do that with their classic games. Screw download times. At least when it's completely loaded you won't have to worry about sudden resolution drops or fragmented gaming based on internet service. And best of all, it's YOURS to keep, not yours to borrow. I don't get cloud gaming, and I honestly don't think I ever will.

Last edited:
However, I'd argue that Microsoft is more likely to try to make a profit off of anything. Take for example online gaming. Before Xbox Live we never had to pay for playing online. Now it is not only standard on Xbox, but now it's become the norm for Playstation and Nintendo. Another example was when Xbox One was announced, the plan was that physical games would be connected owner and could not traded in along with having to pay for their monthly subscription just to get onto Facebook. To me that's more for their own monetary gain rather than for the good of gaming/service.
Yeah, you mean like a business trying to make profit? I for one am glad that it's online service has been a paid service, as I've had much less issues with it in general. Glad to see Sony take it up to, because after the big fiasco that literally shut down PS online services for a full month, as well as the huge data breach, they can put money towards their protection hopefully. I'm hoping that both sides are doing this actually. Every business does things to make themselves money, that's a no brainer.

Overall I'm not at all excited for cloud gaming. Can you imagine if this starts becoming norm? You never actually will own any of your games, and you can only play it as long as you have a subscription. Also, could exclusives come to cloud gaming making it a requirement to have subscription to play game or DLC to a game? In a way Nintendo is already starting to do that with their classic games. Screw download times. At least when it's completely loaded you won't have to worry about sudden resolution drops or fragmented gaming based on internet service. And best of all, it's YOURS to keep, not yours to borrow. I don't get cloud gaming, and I honestly don't think I ever will.
They(Both Sony and Microsoft) already have subscriptions services for those that want it, and physical based copies for those that want it. No need to jump on conspiracy theories. Cloud gaming makes sense for those that don't have the equipment. It not being for you doesn't mean it's not useful.

Take for example online gaming. Before Xbox Live we never had to pay for playing online.
The only time this was true was on consoles was with the PS2. Even the earliest example of online gaming on consoles, XBAND, had two pricing options for people to choose from, with the base version giving you a 50 connection cap, before subsequent connections cost 15 cents. Really, Xbox Live was no different in that regard - about the only thing different was the advertising and the full bore support that an online service offered by the console creator, and standardized across the platform (unlike most PS2 games with online support, which either used their own proprietary online systems or, more often then not, Gamespy) presented.

Can you imagine if this starts becoming norm?
That's the thing though - it won't. There's still wide swaths of North America, specifically rural, who's internet speeds aren't up to the task of dealing with playing games on a cloud based server without significant resolution and connection drops. The thing is, it presents an option and a potential vector to get people to play video games - it certainly reduces the cost needed to get in the door, considering that theoretically, all you need is a controller and a compatible device. But it won't replace the standard box console, not for a long while yet.

Overall I'm not at all excited for cloud gaming. Can you imagine if this starts becoming norm? You never actually will own any of your games, and you can only play it as long as you have a subscription.
I sympathize, but I'm not worried about cloud gaming taking over and I think you have nothing to fear. :) I don't get why execs, gaming journalists, or individuals insist otherwise. They don't seem to understand (or care) that not everyone is excited for it, and all they're doing is stirring anxiety and strife. Sparking conversations like this one when cloud gaming is mentioned.

I'd be OK with cloud gaming just being a thing some people do with their games, like VR. I hope the subject settles to that soon.

Last edited:
I'd be OK with cloud gaming just being a thing some people do with their games, like VR. I hope the subject settles to that soon.
That make sense. It will be fine with me as long as I don't feel obligated to commit to subscription in order to play. If not, I guess my gaming days will be over. I'll just be playing older games, and no longer looking to future gaming.
The only time this was true was on consoles was with the PS2. Even the earliest example of online gaming on consoles, XBAND, had two pricing options for people to choose from, with the base version giving you a 50 connection cap, before subsequent connections cost 15 cents. Really, Xbox Live was no different in that regard.
I guess what I meant with that is it paved the way for subscription based online gameplay. I was able to play online (and still am in some cases) PS3, Wii U, DS, 3DS, and PC without paying anything. Is the online great? Most cases no, but it is/was good enough for me. And with all the other bills I have to worry about, it was/is nice to not have to worry about them.
Yeah, you mean like a business trying to make profit?
Does a business have to make a profit off of everything? Sure, let there be premium online gameplay, but really, a paid membership to get onto Facebook? Shouldn't an internet service suffice doing those things? I know they didn't end up going that route, but that was only because they got enough flack for trying to do it in the first place. These are the business choice by gaming companies that scare me, and I worry that more and more people support those decisions.

Last edited:
Back