Xbox One, FM5 Announced! (UPDATE, See first post!)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 521 comments
United States
Bozeman
djespeed
djespeed
PSA: This is the Xbox One/FM5 discussion thread. I've created the Forza 5 vs GT6 discussion thread (there's another one on this sub forum). Please divert your cross-franchise debate there.

Update, 5/21

Microsoft today unveiled the Xbox One, their next generation, "all-in-one entertainment system". At the event, Turn 10 also showed off and announced Forza Motorsport 5.

Edit, 5/15
Just a PSA;
We have a separate thread for FM vs GT. There wasn't any questionable bickering, but I did notice a little debating.

I just want to, at the very least, try and steer this thread towards a Forza- and Xbox-centric discussion.

That is all.
-Thanks.

Edit, 5/21
The next Xbox is set to be revealed at 10am PST (6pm GMT) today.

Last edited:
I really hope so. With GT6 looking to be a PS3 title, it would steal a significant victory for the franchise.

Well, I'd think that a new Forza game will be out before a new GT game. That's especially true for next-gen titles. But, yeah, having Forza as a launch title seems like a no-brainer.

I'm expecting Forza, Gears and Halo as launch titles.

Gears of War: Judgement was released in March, Halo 4 last November. EXTREMELY unlikely we'll see next-gen launch titles for those franchises.

Wouldn't surprise me to see them re-released with some added content and improved graphics. I absolutely can't see MS launching their console without backing it up with the few flagship titles it has.

VXR
I really hope so. With GT6 looking to be a PS3 title, it would steal a significant victory for the franchise.

It's getting to the point where Forza doesn't need to be scoring victories versus GT since GT is a series that isn't even trying. GT has practically just given up, sitting down panting deeply why Forza speeds by at a dead run without getting winded.

I know players that have historically leaned heavily towards GT that now enjoy Forza more, and it's just a matter of time before GT is basically irrelevant. Sure, GT presently enjoys higher sales per title and a larger fan base, but it's based on past success leading the genre, but those millions won't live in the past forever.

I feel Forza has surpassed GT, but in the mainstream, GT is still seen as the de facto console sim. Something like Forza being on the next gen and GT being on the current one would possibly make people take more notice of the genre and how Forza has rapidly advanced in just eight years.

VXR

Just because Forza is going next gen, doesn't automatically make it a winner if GT6 is on PS3... But by all means, keeping thinking that. Honestly, who cares if GT6 is going on PS3 as along it corrects the errors that were in GT5 and is more polish as well complete with some added new features... :rolleyes:

To me your post is filled with fanboyism...

Not at all. I own both. However, the strides T10 have made deserve more widespread recognition than they get already, where GT is bandied about as the definitive driving simulator, but aurally and on a visceral level it has been left behind. Stealing a march on GT would be a well earned victory.

Had I not popped FM4 back into the Xbox, I would have been content to keep trying different cars in GT5 each time I had some hours to kill, so there's no real fanboyism from me.

VXR
Not at all. I own both. However, the strides T10 have made deserve more widespread recognition than they get already, where GT is bandied about as the definitive driving simulator, but aurally and on a visceral level it has been left behind. Stealing a march on GT would be a well earned victory.

I also own both as well, but to the main matter. I agree with your point that T10 deserves more than what they are given to this day, but your other point I wouldn't go as far to say GT is left behind just yet. It was just GT5 that cost it all of course. I say we should decide until both games are shown and have given out info first imo.

Had I not popped FM4 back into the Xbox, I would have been content to keep trying different cars in GT5 each time I had some hours to kill, so there's no real fanboyism from me.

Alright.

Same, very well said.

While I actually play GT5 more (only because of the fact that the logitech doesn't work on Xbox natively) and it's so much better with a wheel than controller (especially good clean online racing) there are some no brainer issues with GT5 that should've been fixed in like GT2-3 that still haven't and they don't listen to the community let alone reply to an e-mail, they just decided and focused too much on quantity over quality. Yet I still race every day... lol.

But I swear if FM4 had an online 'Shuffle Race' type mode, which I think you can actually setup a lobby in a similar way? I and many others would stick with/move to/move back to FM in a second. That and native Logitech wheel support. Oh and adding tracks but only more real world tracks, reverse configurations should be outlawed too, there just a scam :P and yeah only very few original/virtual tracks are any good. But yeah, the improvements/refinements in Forza, have been much better than with GT.

What we need is someone to do a Road & Track/The Need for Speed 1 type project with GT/Forza, and make it PC exclusive :) :P

Focus on quality, remove the useless quantity, and that's not just quantity relating to cars, but for example there are a couple of awesome realistic rally games/sims, we don't need GT/Forza to be trying to include that, and making a poor effort of it at that, just wasting time and space.

To be honest, I'm expecting to see a new Forza (at the very least) to show up. A new PGR... ...seems somewhat likely, but I'm just not feeling it.

I'm just hoping they'll finally fix the smaller visual issues, like the offsets and whatnot. The "obsoleted" car models this time around (assuming this is for the next Xbox) just straight up need to be updated.

Last edited:
Well, I'd think that a new Forza game will be out before a new GT game. That's especially true for next-gen titles. But, yeah, having Forza as a launch title seems like a no-brainer.

I'm expecting Forza, Gears and Halo as launch titles.
Forza 5 as a launch title is VERY likely. Gears or Halo as a launch title 99.9999% NOT going to happen. In fact I guarantee Gears or Halo wont be a launch title. Well unless its Halo 2 Anniversary. But a sequel gears or sequel Halo will not be a launch title. GOW Judgement just came out and so did Halo 4. Halo 5 wouldn't be until 2014 at the soonest.

Now that GT6 on PS3 is officially confirmed, I am more than positive Forza 5 will be announced as a launch title next week on the 21st. Looks like these 2 titles will be going head to head for sure this year with Forza on the "Infinity" next xbox. Just my guess. Will be interesting for sure to see what happens on the 21st next week.

The reveal of the next Xbox is about 2 days away, so I must ask: What are you most looking forward to at this event?

I'm looking for the new Xbox to really show much faster load times, much lower power consumption and therefore noise (silent except during heavy gaming would be good!), plus confirmation that it has enough graphical capabilities to handle 1080p 60fps with plenty of AA/AF and various modern DX10/11 features.

I'd love for them to announce that along with USB3 they are willing to support HID in addition to XID, but since I already own a multiplatform wheel (Fanatec GT2), I wouldn't really mind if they stick to XID.

On the Forza front, there are 4 things I want from Forza 5 (since 4 does so many things right):
1. Better lighting model, currently Forza is still way behind GT5 or pCARS in graphical photorealism and it's mostly due to the artificial appearance due to the lighting model (although it's way better than Forza 3).
2. Improved suspension modelling: I always feel disappointed when watching Forza replays to see how unrealistic the car weight shift animation is, they really need to make a step forward there.
3. More uniqueness to the single player game. Forza 4’s AI is reasonable but not exactly hard to beat, and all races take on the same sort of feel. If you look back to tens of thousands of virtual km in Forza or GT then to me the feeling of completing a difficult challenge from GT's special events and licenses is missing from Forza: all races blur together.
4. When moving up to 1080p, Forza will obviously need to offer higher resolution decals for car painting. And it would be nice if open wheel was supported in order to get track day cars like the Caterham, BAC, Atom, etc....

Everyone seems quite eager to run out and buy the "new" xbox (if, in fact, that is what is to be announced). I enjoy the Forza series. However, I have no plans on plunking down a wad of money on an unproven console just to play Forza5 (again, if it will be a launch title). I've been down that road before. Besides, new consoles are outrageously priced at launch.

Indeed. The situation is even tougher this time for the new consoles as two massive franchises in GT and GTA are coming to the current hardware. Terribly timed, really.

VXR
Indeed. The situation is even tougher this time for the new consoles as two massive franchises in GT and GTA are coming to the current hardware. Terribly timed, really.

Don't forget about MGSV: The Phantom Pain (which is a PS3 game). :sly: Yep, the new consoles will struggle indeed.

As some will recall, the PS3 was also the cheapest and one of the highest quality bluray players when it launched. For at least the first couple of years Sony was using it as much as a film sales device as a game console.

The new gen consoles look to be aimed at becoming silent and efficient media hubs, so it's quite likely that the console makers are aiming at a much broader release with gamers not necessarily that important at launch. I bet millions of Hulu or Neflix users with old,gen noisy consoles could be tempted to switch over to a more modern, power efficient solution which retains the ability to also play games...

Besides, consoles have always been a long game. You buy one when there's a reason for it, but with the assumption that it'll still be used 5 years later for future applications.

-I am predicting and hope Forza 5 will launch with the next xbox (Infinity). So we should see something about F5 tomorrow the 21st. F5 better have night day and weather or I wont plan on buying F5.
-Blu Ray player is also pretty much a given. (I believe this was confirmed in the other xbox thread)
-The new controller will hopefully be almost identical to the 360 controller. The 360 controller is still THE most comfortable controller I have used on any system.
-Hopefully this system will have the ability to share videos and pics from any games. Similar to the PS4. Its basically the file share that was created in Halo 3.
-Hopefully it is black. Or has some color options.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I thought I was going to have to buy a PS4 and new XBOX. But then GT6 was announced on PS3 so looks like it might have to be just the Xbox.:)

-I am predicting and hope Forza 5 will launch with the next xbox (Infinity). So we should see something about F5 tomorrow the 21st. F5 better have night day and weather or I wont plan on buying F5.
-Blu Ray player is also pretty much a given. (I believe this was confirmed in the other xbox thread)
-The new controller will hopefully be almost identical to the 360 controller. The 360 controller is still THE most comfortable controller I have used on any system.
-Hopefully this system will have the ability to share videos and pics from any games. Similar to the PS4. Its basically the file share that was created in Halo 3.
-Hopefully it is black. Or has some color options.

I'm hoping for an F5 refresh of the franchise during the reveal...;)

Latest Posts

Back