Xbox Series S Officially Unveiled at $299

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 10, 2020.

1. sirjim73

sirjim73

What happened to T, U and W?

TrevorPhilips likes this.
  2. ImaRobot

ImaRobot

Crazy how quick that rumor changed.

3. TrevorPhilips

TrevorPhilips

If it does exist and is the same spec as X just with no drive, that's fine with me. It's a bit confusing giving it a different letter though.

Yeah same size I think, if internet connected of course. You can understand with a disc and no internet, but still, they could get you in game and let you decide what you need at least.

Just leaked mate... T is a handheld, U is VR only and W is ultrawide 2560x1080!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    sirjim73 likes this.
  4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

You forgot the y, b, a, as well :)

TrevorPhilips likes this.
  5. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

6. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Yeah read that as well. It might not bother some whom the cknsolenis targeted at but for a consolemsupposedly capable of next gen at 1440p upscaled to 4k with 60/120hz. Its more than an odd choice. Especially as games thatbhave Xbox One X enhancements still looks great at 1080p/1440p compared to vanilla One S.

7. inCloud

inCloud

XOX has more memory, which means that there could be problems if they just enable XOX BC mode.

NLxAROSA likes this.
  8. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

The SS is the upgrade for people happy with the 1S, like my kids who are happy playing indie games through gamepass or minecraft & don't care much for 4K & what not, however they'll be getting my 1X (it's practically theirs already)
    The SX is the upgrade for people on the 1X, I want to see what native enhancements it can do for PC2, ACC & when the time comes a few more sims down the line.

twoskodas and NLxAROSA like this.
  9. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Dirt 5 Xbox Series S gameplay.

10. Novalee

Novalee

11. TJ13

TJ13 Premium

Now Xbox is reporting some "shortages" before pre-order day.
    Now it's going to be who can restock the fastest.

12. redhed17

redhed17

They all have 'shortages', standard pre-launch marketing. ;) Order or you may miss out. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    MrCrynox likes this.
  13. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

14. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

15. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

I think it's too soon to make any statements on cross/multiplatform titles, esp. those already in development. Personally, I doubt that TES6 will be a (timed) exclusive for instance. (Then again I could be very, very wrong about that)

16. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

For the price Microsoft is paying, I would think most titles going forward will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. At best it will be timed exclusive, but not likely.

17. Tornado

Tornado

Yeah. On the one hand I don't expect them to suddenly cancel all of their currently in development games or yank titles from the non-XBL stores.

On the other hand that's an awful lot of damn money to not get something tangible out of it.

18. Joey D

Joey D Premium

We're going to get Skyrim ported to the new Xbox aren't we?

TypeRDC5, NLxAROSA and ImaRobot like this.
  19. Tornado

Tornado

Nexus likes this.
  20. strela

strela

First Obsidian and now Bethesda? I want to say good move, but I hate exclusives.

21. DriveSpark

DriveSpark

A couple of years ago MS bought a bunch of studios
    • Compulsion Games
    • inXile Entertainment
    • Ninja Theory
    • Obsidian Entertainment
    • Playground Games
    • Undead Labs
    • Double Fine
    And set up a couple of others. Then they said they had enough: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-is-shifting-focus-away-from-studio-acquisitions/
    Which they appear to have forgotten about.

So it all sounds great. But when is the payback ? ignoring all the others and all other costs, This acquisition is the full retail cost of 62.5 million gamepass subscriptions. Hardware is a loss leader, gamepass makes little to no money and there are a bunch of cheap deals out there for gamepass. Surely, if they ever hope to see any profit over the next decade prices have to go up ?

The financial side of it is fascinating.

Regardless its pretty clear that MS are in the gaming market (and therefore consoles) for some time to come.

22. inCloud

inCloud

23. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

80 bucks per sold copy on PS5 is a really good way to make additional money to funnel into your own platform. ;) On top of that, I'm already hearing folks in my direct vicinity say they'll buy a Series S + Gamepass to sit next to their PS5. I suspect that's one of the main purposes of the Series S for MS.

I suspect the bigger plan is 'games-as-a-service' regardless of platform. But yeah, I don't think prices will remain where they are, given that retail copies of games just went up. ;)

24. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

Looks like they are at least not ruling it out completely. We’ll see.
    If they will be timed exclusives, I’m ok with that I suppose.