Xbox Series S Officially Unveiled at $299

If it does exist and is the same spec as X just with no drive, that's fine with me. It's a bit confusing giving it a different letter though.

To bad they just don't give you an option to opt out of any you don't need, but the way things are now, don't you basically have to install it whether you have the disc or not? I haven't bought a physical game in a while so I can't really remember if there's any difference in HD space they take up.

Yeah same size I think, if internet connected of course. You can understand with a disc and no internet, but still, they could get you in game and let you decide what you need at least.

What happened to T, U and W?

Just leaked mate... T is a handheld, U is VR only and W is ultrawide 2560x1080!

Last edited:
If it does exist and is the same spec as X just with no drive, that's fine with me. It's a bit confusing giving it a different letter though.

Yeah same size I think, if internet connected of course. You can understand with a disc and no internet, but still, they could get you in game and let you decide what you need at least.

Just leaked mate... T is a handheld, U is VR only and W is ultrawide 2560x1080!
You forgot the y, b, a, as well :)

Yeah read that as well. It might not bother some whom the cknsolenis targeted at but for a consolemsupposedly capable of next gen at 1440p upscaled to 4k with 60/120hz. Its more than an odd choice. Especially as games thatbhave Xbox One X enhancements still looks great at 1080p/1440p compared to vanilla One S.

The SS is the upgrade for people happy with the 1S, like my kids who are happy playing indie games through gamepass or minecraft & don't care much for 4K & what not, however they'll be getting my 1X (it's practically theirs already)
The SX is the upgrade for people on the 1X, I want to see what native enhancements it can do for PC2, ACC & when the time comes a few more sims down the line.

Now Xbox is reporting some "shortages" before pre-order day.
Now it's going to be who can restock the fastest.

Now Xbox is reporting some "shortages" before pre-order day.
Now it's going to be who can restock the fastest.
They all have 'shortages', standard pre-launch marketing. ;) Order or you may miss out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think it's too soon to make any statements on cross/multiplatform titles, esp. those already in development. Personally, I doubt that TES6 will be a (timed) exclusive for instance. (Then again I could be very, very wrong about that)

For the price Microsoft is paying, I would think most titles going forward will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. At best it will be timed exclusive, but not likely.

Yeah. On the one hand I don't expect them to suddenly cancel all of their currently in development games or yank titles from the non-XBL stores.

On the other hand that's an awful lot of damn money to not get something tangible out of it.

A couple of years ago MS bought a bunch of studios
  • Compulsion Games
  • inXile Entertainment
  • Ninja Theory
  • Obsidian Entertainment
  • Playground Games
  • Undead Labs
  • Double Fine
And set up a couple of others. Then they said they had enough: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-is-shifting-focus-away-from-studio-acquisitions/
Which they appear to have forgotten about.

So it all sounds great. But when is the payback ? ignoring all the others and all other costs, This acquisition is the full retail cost of 62.5 million gamepass subscriptions. Hardware is a loss leader, gamepass makes little to no money and there are a bunch of cheap deals out there for gamepass. Surely, if they ever hope to see any profit over the next decade prices have to go up ?

The financial side of it is fascinating.

Regardless its pretty clear that MS are in the gaming market (and therefore consoles) for some time to come.

For the price Microsoft is paying, I would think most titles going forward will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. At best it will be timed exclusive, but not likely.
80 bucks per sold copy on PS5 is a really good way to make additional money to funnel into your own platform. ;) On top of that, I'm already hearing folks in my direct vicinity say they'll buy a Series S + Gamepass to sit next to their PS5. I suspect that's one of the main purposes of the Series S for MS.

So it all sounds great. But when is the payback ? ignoring all the others and all other costs, This acquisition is the full retail cost of 62.5 million gamepass subscriptions. Hardware is a loss leader, gamepass makes little to no money and there are a bunch of cheap deals out there for gamepass. Surely, if they ever hope to see any profit over the next decade prices have to go up ?

I suspect the bigger plan is 'games-as-a-service' regardless of platform. But yeah, I don't think prices will remain where they are, given that retail copies of games just went up. ;)

80 bucks per sold copy on PS5 is a really good way to make additional money to funnel into your own platform. ;) On top of that, I'm already hearing folks in my direct vicinity say they'll buy a Series S + Gamepass to sit next to their PS5. I suspect that's one of the main purposes of the Series S for MS.

I suspect the bigger plan is 'games-as-a-service' regardless of platform. But yeah, I don't think prices will remain where they are, given that retail copies of games just went up. ;)

Looks like they are at least not ruling it out completely. We’ll see.
If they will be timed exclusives, I’m ok with that I suppose.

What would make it work for me: A pure subscription service where you just pay a monthly fee and rent (don't own) the console. Gaming-as-a-service. Like my ISP lends me a modem with my internet/TV subscription and they own it/are responsible for replacing it when it's broken/outdated.

And so it begins? https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/23...ck-xcloud-cloud-gaming-phil-spencer-interview

You could imagine us even having something that we just included in the Game Pass subscription that gave you an ability to stream xCloud games to your television and buying the controller.

Spencer also teases the potential for an “Xbox Game Pass Platinum” with guaranteed access to new Xbox hardware.

So both an 'xCloud streaming stick' and Xbox hardware considered for an all-in-one sub?

Last edited:
I have now acquired an Xbox Series S. Game in the UK offered a trade in deal so I got it for £49.99 when trading in my Xbox One X.

Definitely a good deal in my eyes, had a couple of disc versions of games so naturally took them in as well as its a digital console and got it for £15 in the end.

Definitely a deal worth checking out if your in the UK. Can get the deal with any console, £99.99 with a One S or even £39.99 with a Switch.

So far, the console has impressed me. I wondered if it would feel like a downgrade from the One X and I'm happy to say, for me at least, it doesn't. Yeah there's a couple of areas where I notice the lower native res (PGA 2K21 being one I notice it on the most), the fact it makes up for it with rock solid 60fps gameplay, Auto HDR, quick resume, and insane loading times. Its a minor price to pay.

Last edited:
Back