Xbox Series X Set For a Discless Redesign in 2024, According to Court Document Leak

• Thread starter Famine
  • 95 comments
There’s actually a lot of similarities with Sega, almost chillingly so. Both had a powerful first console that got trounced by their main rival, but still did decently to build up a following from and serve as a learning experience (Master System = OG Xbox).

Both released their follow up consoles earlier than the competition with a lot of impressive titles to gain a big market share (Mega Drive = 360), before releasing questionable add-ons later in their system’s lives which soured some of the hardcore fans (CD and 32X = Kinect). This, coupled with stagnation in their game line-ups allowed their rivals to catch up at the very end (SNES = PS3).

Both then followed up with an overpriced, somewhat misguided product that their main rival mocked mercilessly at their respective E3 showing (Saturn = Xbone), which set the tone for the rest of the generation and left them playing catch up.

And then, both tried to course correct by making a solid bit of hardware, with all the pieces in place to gain some goodwill back and had a fairly strong launch… but most people just decided to wait for a PlayStation instead (Dreamcast = Series X/S). Given their similarities up to this point, one can only assume Microsoft’s money men might have realised the same thing Sega’s did back in the early 2000s.

I don’t think they’re gonna announce going fully third-party - that’d be an unmitigated PR disaster - but I can definitely see it happening by the next generation, or their next system not being a system at all, and rather a streaming device of sorts.

Last edited:
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Looks like this new strategy is going to be detailed at some point next week. Phil hasn't denied the reports either:

I’m not hearing a no.

It makes sense to go third party. The Xbox has been going for 20+ years and can’t gain on the PlayStation. They’ll instantly be the largest third party owning Activision Blizzard. Stuff like Halo and Forza Horizon will sell millions on PlayStation.

They already killed console exclusives putting everything out on PC day one. They already have some games on Switch. Gamepass only makes sense if it’s selling tons of consoles as they’re missing out on revenue from $70+ game releases.

I for one can't wait for the return of Arrogant Sony.

There’s actually a lot of similarities with Sega, almost chillingly so. Both had a powerful first console that got trounced by their main rival, but still did decently to build up a following from and serve as a learning experience (Master System = OG Xbox).

Both released their follow up consoles earlier than the competition with a lot of impressive titles to gain a big market share (Mega Drive = 360), before releasing questionable add-ons later in their system’s lives which soured some of the hardcore fans (CD and 32X = Kinect). This, coupled with stagnation in their game line-ups allowed their rivals to catch up at the very end (SNES = PS3).

Both then followed up with an overpriced, somewhat misguided product that their main rival mocked mercilessly at their respective E3 showing (Saturn = Xbone), which set the tone for the rest of the generation and left them playing catch up.

And then, both tried to course correct by making a solid bit of hardware, with all the pieces in place to gain some goodwill back and had a fairly strong launch… but most people just decided to wait for a PlayStation instead (Dreamcast = Series X/S). Given their similarities up to this point, one can only assume Microsoft’s money men might have realised the same thing Sega’s did back in the early 2000s.

I don’t think they’re gonna announce going fully third-party - that’d be an unmitigated PR disaster - but I can definitely see it happening by the next generation, or their next system not being a system at all, and rather a streaming device of sorts.

The elephant in the room being that Sega was nearly bankrupt in 2001 (to the extent that substantial debts needed to be forgiven to even make it to to the Sammy merger) and the Xbox division in 2024 is... Decidedly not.

Last edited:
Very true. The general theory being banded around online is that the shareholders above Phil's head are looking to get a return on investment for the ABK deal almost immediately, which in the short term, means them completely ditching their prior exclusivity plans. Long term of course, it could be potentially disastrous. This caused an internal rift within the Xbox division, with most of them not particularly happy about it, which is what led to an employee leaking the news.

Speaking as an owner of both a PS5 and series X I can confirm that the best kick up the backside PD could get is Forza Motorsport on PS5.

Both manufacturers release their first party games on PC anyway. Consoles are for convenience, PCs are for everything else.

Last edited:
Back