Xbox Series X Set For a Discless Redesign in 2024, According to Court Document Leak

• Thread starter Famine
  • 95 comments
The improved controller sounds good at least. I've found the Dualsense haptics very useful, especially with driving games like GT7. Not surprised that Microsoft are copying them. Modular sticks also good because you know those things will still drift like Mr Block (RIP).

This does mean that I'd be a fool to get a Series S now without a massive sale (somewhere around £150 at most, more like £100), which means no Forza M for a while.

Last edited:
Definitely interested in the controller. Having just grabbed a Series X last week I was a little surprised the controller requires AA batteries rather than being rechargeable. Course that can be solved with the charge and play accessory, but the haptic feedback features of the new controller might be worth the upgrade anyways.

They paid a consultant a ton of money to come up with "adorably".

I know some will hate the idea of a digital-only console, but for me I don't really see a downside. I haven't had a disk drive on my PC in ages and I haven't missed it in the slightest. Plus, I find myself buying fewer and fewer games now, especially with things like Xbox Game Pass. For $200 a year, I get to play the latest from Microsoft and EA. Between Flight Sim, Forza, and Starfield I feel like it's worth it and whenever I decide it's not, I can ditch it.

I wish Sony had something similar for the PC too because I would love to play PS games on my PC.

I wish Sony had something similar for the PC too because I would love to play PS games on my PC.
You can use a PS Plus Premium sub to stream PS4 games on PC. They don't let you access PS5 games at the moment though.

Definitely interested in the controller. Having just grabbed a Series X last week I was a little surprised the controller requires AA batteries rather than being rechargeable. Course that can be solved with the charge and play accessory, but the haptic feedback features of the new controller might be worth the upgrade anyways.
I've never understood this whole AA battery saga, all the rechargeable battery packs are weak (including the official xbox ones) like 1200mh or something. First thing I did was buy a duracell battery charger & a pack of 4 powerful 2500mh rechargeable duracell AA batteries which I've been using since I bought a 1X, I'm now on a Series X & still using these same battery's from 5 years ago & they last a good amount of play time.

As soon as 1 set are dead just stick them on charge & place the other set in & keep the rotation going.

The only other battery I've seen last longer is the non rechargeable duracell ultimate but then you have to keep buying them & they're expensive, but last along time.

If you sit close enough to your TV like my kids do in they're bedrooms then just grab a 5m usb-c cable & then you don't even need batteries in the controller, but you can leave them in if you wish just incase you pull the lead out by accident.

Only having a high speed internet available to me at higher cost recently
and with somewhat of a lottery to get it, I would not be willing to go all digital yet. A lot of households in the USA only have access to satellite internet with caps of 25GB a month.

I've never understood this whole AA battery saga, all the rechargeable battery packs are weak (including the official xbox ones) like 1200mh or something. First thing I did was buy a duracell battery charger & a pack of 4 powerful 2500mh rechargeable duracell AA batteries which I've been using since I bought a 1X, I'm now on a Series X & still using these same battery's from 5 years ago & they last a good amount of play time.

As soon as 1 set are dead just stick them on charge & place the other set in & keep the rotation going.

The only other battery I've seen last longer is the non rechargeable duracell ultimate but then you have to keep buying them & they're expensive, but last along time.

If you sit close enough to your TV like my kids do in they're bedrooms then just grab a 5m usb-c cable & then you don't even need batteries in the controller, but you can leave them in if you wish just incase you pull the lead out by accident.
Nothing against rechargeable AA whatsoever, that's a perfectly good solution if you don't want the official or third party Xbox battery packs. I've had good experience with the official Xbox ones, but if rechargeable AA are really good lately (last I used them was maybe a decade ago) then I am all for it.

My original message was more about how surprising it is that the Series S/X controllers even use AA at all, just seems like electronics these days typically go right for built-in battery packs.

I don't mind the fact Xbox controllers still take batteries because I've had considerably less bother with them than PS4 controllers not charging properly. Dead PS4 controllers were the bane of my existence for a while.

As I said on the other thread, biggest surprise for me is that it's a redesign rather than a "pro" version with upgraded specs. I wonder if Sony will take a similar route. I think it makes more sense personally. Introducing haptic feedback, increasing the storage capacity, these are things that Xbox owners are likely to want more than a spec upgrade right now I suspect?

Direct-to-cloud feature on the new controller looks interesting. Wonder if it means that eventually in future, I would be able to play Forza Motorsport 8 with just the new controller + Gamepass + TV.

Nothing against rechargeable AA whatsoever, that's a perfectly good solution if you don't want the official or third party Xbox battery packs. I've had good experience with the official Xbox ones, but if rechargeable AA are really good lately (last I used them was maybe a decade ago) then I am all for it.
I'll echo that sentiment from @Mr Grumpy, I've been using the same rechargeable AA's for a good 6-7 years now. They're starting to show their age for sure, mostly because I dont care about overcharging, but they've more than lasted the test of time. Think I got a 4 pack for about 20 bucks with a charger a while back. it's just super handy to have 2 in the pad and 4 in the charger dock to easily interchange at any time.

Last edited:
Oh so the same price as launch for at that point four year old hardware but with significant production cost slashing and major features removed (passing the savings off to them!); and now it looks like an old Macintosh that everyone thought was a joke even at the time. I'm sure this will do fantastic against the discless refreshed modular PS5 which will be cheaper.

Last edited:
Oh so the same price as launch for at that point four year old hardware but with major features removed (passing the savings off to them!); and now it looks like an old Macintosh that everyone thought was a joke even at the time.
But it's 40% adorable.

Also MS finally gets to realise its ambition to end game ownership, 10 years on from announcing it and having to walk it back after the highly negative reaction.

Hmmm. I wouldn't mind trading in my current Series X for the digital one, since I don't play all my games on disk. Though at the same time, I'm willing to stick with my current one and instead get that new controller however!

I screwed up when I bought an Xbox One Series X but it's my own fault. I was like... Huh, IIRC they said Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 can be played on disc with the XBSX just to buy one and end up getting the ''This game cannot be read on both''. That'll teach me for being unattentive lol

In two years, I get the outrage if we end up in a position where you can't buy a disc Xbox Series X anymore. (Which I doubt as I'm sure we will still be able to find disc XSX on store shelves for more than two years.)

However, you can literally go out right now and buy one. This new Series X is just a refresh, it isn't more powerful.

I'm about 90% sure we will see an external disc drive, like PS5 is doing, to keep community happy and to keep retail game stores happy.

They paid a consultant a ton of money to come up with "adorably".

I know some will hate the idea of a digital-only console, but for me I don't really see a downside. I haven't had a disk drive on my PC in ages and I haven't missed it in the slightest. Plus, I find myself buying fewer and fewer games now, especially with things like Xbox Game Pass. For $200 a year, I get to play the latest from Microsoft and EA. Between Flight Sim, Forza, and Starfield I feel like it's worth it and whenever I decide it's not, I can ditch it.

This is an internal document that was never meant to be released to the public, I doubt they paid anyone for that.

Last edited:
Yeeeeaaaa I'm glad I got my Series X. Why not have a disc drive? At least the new controller is neat
My guess would be research, digital is really taking over the entire market. (The same reason that the next PS5 is discless.)

I don't understand why people are surprised, when is the last time you've seen a gaming PC with an internal disc drive?

Honestly, where did people think services like Steam were going to push the market? It's like people woke up this morning and decided that only Xbox does digital games. Sony, Nintendo, and Xbox are all heavily focused and invested in pushing digital games.

When is the last time you saw a PC game box with a disc in a store?

Have people forgotten that Steam, GOG, Epic Game Store, UPlay, EA Origin, HumbleBundle, GreenManGaming, and Battle.net have been pushing digital purchases for years and years?

How many physical games can you buy on Steam and have shipped to your door?

Screenshot 2023-09-19 161350.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 161850.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 161810.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 161802.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 161814.png

Last edited:
Would it be too much to hope for a drop in price for Xbox external storage cards as a result of this announced upgrade? Let me have my mad dreams...

The new controller sounds great. I hope this means third party devs will make better use of haptic features across both Xbox and PS.

Game pass was the Trojan horse they built for this and everyone is riding it.
80% of all sales on PS4 and PS5 are digital. Game Pass does not exist on PS5 or PS4. I would argue that Game Pass would work against digital sales as there are less people buying digital games and just playing them through Game Pass instead.

Steam, iOS, and Android led the charge on digital ecosystem sales.

98% of all PC gaming sales are digital.

Last edited:
Digital only is bad . Piracy is the only counter.
Get a job and support game developers. I know of an apprenticeship you can join right now, with no experience, that starts at $22 an hour and you'll be making $33 an hour within 4 years.

Piracy actually encourages digital game sales, as the loss of profit from piracy can be recovered by selling games directly on their own storefront and without physical packaging and shipping.

Last edited:
Digital only is bad . Piracy is the only counter.
How would that counter digital only?

The only way to counter digital only is to buy games on disk and guess what? People just aren't doing that. Companies aren't going to spend the money on something that isn't selling and instead shift those resources to something else. It's the same reason auto makers are ditching manual transmissions, they just don't sell in high enough numbers to justify their existence.

My guess would be research, digital is really taking over the entire market. (The same reason that the next PS5 is discless.)

I don't understand why people are surprised, when is the last time you've seen a gaming PC with an internal disc drive?

Honestly, where did people think services like Steam were going to push the market? It's like people woke up this morning and decided that only Xbox does digital games. Sony, Nintendo, and Xbox are all heavily focused and invested in pushing digital games.

When is the last time you saw a PC game box with a disc in a store?

Have people forgotten that Steam, GOG, Epic Game Store, UPlay, EA Origin, HumbleBundle, GreenManGaming, and Battle.net have been pushing digital purchases for years and years?

How many physical games can you buy on Steam and have shipped to your door?

View attachment 1288376

View attachment 1288379
View attachment 1288381
View attachment 1288380
View attachment 1288382

Because they can widen the profit margins for the console and dramatically widen the profit margins for game sales by eliminating any ability to buy games other than from them directly.
This is being done for 2 different reasons.

1. Ending the market for second hand sales and any third party sales to make MS more profit.
2. Selling machines that are cheaper to build and making MS more profit.

But 80% of consumers aren't concerned - they want everything digital and are happy with that scenario. I'm not going to be all high and mighty though - it's inevitable this will happen at some point.

But... waiting for 40 minutes to launch FH5 in the Cloud for a whole week when Starfield releases does NOT happen when you have a disk.

So the disk size increase is the most important part of this refresh, to me.

Also notice what is happening to everything you pay for digitally...
PS Plus big price increase
Game Pass price increase (and I suspect another price increase in the near future especially if Sony keep theirs high).
Internet prices going up 20% every year indefinitely.

In 2 years time, internet is going to be up towards £100 per month.

Imagine what will happen to the price of games when your purchase options on console are:

PS Store
Xbox Store
And nothing else.

Which I also see as a potential concern.

These things are inevitable as I said but we are going to pay a LOT more as a result.

I'll probably look to upgrade to a Series X disk version when they start to discount it. I've no reason or wish to buy a discless Series X, especially at the same price as it is now.

Last edited:
Back