Xbox's Phil Spencer Suggests Cross-Platform Moderation to Make Games Safer

The problem I see with this is not conceptual, and I certainly don't agree with this sentiment:
There's a mute button on all games for a reason. The chats also dont accept curse words. Its fine how it is
Instead the problem I see is with how these systems already work and then them being applied to an even wider area:

1: These semi-automated systems have always proven themselves to be complete garbage. Spreading it across all platforms so you could banned basically completely from playing videogames online? No thanks. Not all of them are susceptible to simple bans done through brigading (like I'm pretty sure Twitch no longer is, but their content algorithms are so bad that they might as well be, for example), but all it takes for an algorithm system to break down is for people to figure out what it is; and all it takes for one to be abused is for people to figure out what it is and have malicious intent and numbers.
2: Private corporations should not be the arbiters of morality on society (sidestepping the "Town square" argument as it pertains to social media since that doesn't really apply here) in the first place. Yeah dumb idiot professional race drivers saying racial slurs on streamed races like they're still 14 years old and playing Halo 2 will immediately and deservedly get their comeuppance. But all languages have nuance, and most (all?) semi-automated systems are on the heavy-handed side of the spectrum towards ignoring it. Put another way, not all speech is intended to be put through the offended straight white guy filter; even if that offended straight white guy is programming an AI to do the work for him.
3: This is exactly the kind of thing that governments see and say "Hey, there should be a law that codifies this." And I'd argue that isn't so much of a slippery slope argument when the Biden administration has already said they think that's a good idea in regards to social media.

Imagine signing up and agreeing to a Terms of Service on some sort of application, and then not following the rules you agreed to and get in trouble.

View attachment 1106911

Don't do something stupid and you wont have to worry about repercussions of stupid actions.
I mean, you say that. And if we're talking about, say, Twitter eventually telling people making effigies for Jan 6 insurrectionists that they can piss off to Parlor then sure, I can see the argument.

But then you have people who say something that breaks Twitter's terms of service because they said something that a group of people got super tilted about and they band together to get them banned from the site; except now they are also banned from YouTube and Facebook and etc.

It's really weird that you'd think one of those things is okay and the other isn't. They're either both okay (and they are) or not.
As far as I know GTP handles all enforcement of the ToS on a case by case basis through human decision making. That's not what Microsoft (or any of these companies) use (nor could they with the volume of users being handled); and that seems like quite a material difference right there.

Last edited:
I mean, you say that. And if we're talking about, say, Twitter eventually telling people making effigies for Jan 6 insurrectionists that they can piss off to Parlor then sure, I can see the argument.

But then you have people who say something that breaks Twitter's terms of service because they said something that a group of people got super tilted about and they band together to get them banned from the site; except now they are also banned from YouTube and Facebook and etc.
So you're saying a group of people found something offensive, so Twitter had to evaluate the situation and determine if it is or isn't against their ToS and act accordingly? Sounds about normal, especially for something that is evolving like ToS sometimes do. As for the other companies deciding what to do with the services they offer people, sure that is an iffy road, but I'm still 100% for the camp of "don't do something stupid and you won't have to worry about repercussions."

It's not that hard to just not be a total asshat, and to easily avoid things like that.

The rules as they are now are vague and unevenly applied, but they only apply to a single platform at a time. What is proposed is that the same rules would be applied to all platforms, and in order to get agreement between the platforms then the rules would presumably have to be pretty clear and uniformly applied.

Seems like swings and roundabouts to me. I don't see how either situation is objectively better or worse than another, especially when so many of these platforms aren't actually strongly linked to your RL identity unless you choose to make them so. Besides, we still end up back at the fact that these are private platforms and you ultimately use them at the discretion of the owners.

Personally, I'd prefer clear rules, enforcement and consequences over some of the randomness that seems to go on now, even if that means that the most severe consequences become larger. But I'm not a particularly heavy contributor to any social media, and so my view on it is largely that I don't see how they can stop me from using their services to doom scroll cat memes and big tiddy goth cosplayers so I don't see the problem. All my accounts could be banned tomorrow and it would effectively change nothing for me. It's different for people whose livelihoods depend on said media, but even then it seems like there's a reasonable argument to be made between the status quo vs. whatever we think this proposal is.

So you're saying a group of people found something offensive, so Twitter had to evaluate the situation and determine if it is or isn't against their ToS and act accordingly
No. I deliberately said "super tilted" instead of "found something offensive", and "breaks Twitter's terms of service" was being stated sarcastically.

Twitter has methods that people can exploit to get people banned just like YouTube does.

Last edited:
This world is full of sensitive snowflakes... If someones mad at you, no matter what he says, be happy, because he is mad, not you... And if you get mad because of some random guy on the other side of the world throws swear words at you than i guess you have some anger issues yourself... I always try to keep calm & make the guy even more angry without using swear words... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back