• 66 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
(Note: not to be confused with another game called, only, "XCOM," which is a first person shooter developed by 2K Games in-house developer, 2K Marin, and will release in 2013. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is being published by 2K Games as well, but is being developed by Firaxis)
IboQY.jpg

Release
NA October 9, 2012
EU October 12, 2012
AUS October 12, 2012

The game, set on modern-day Earth, deals with the international response to a global alien invasion. The player assumes the role of the commander of the top secret XCOM Project, the most elite military and scientific organization in the history of mankind, activated to engage in a seemingly hopeless war against an unknown extraterrestrial enemy with overwhelming technological superiority.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown will feature the return of the classic strategy gameplay the series is best known for.Unlike Firaxis' Civilization Revolution, the content is not simplified for the console versions, compared to the PC version. The PC version will feature a different mouse-driven UI and "the ability for modability".
The game's strategy element is confined to the global view called the "Geoscape", where the player keeps track of the situation around the world and conducts resource and personnel management on a strategic layer, directing research of alien technology and production, interacting with the governments of funding nations, ordering their aircraft to intercept UFOs and dispatching their soldiers to engage aliens on the ground. A new view dubbed the "ant farm" interactively shows the XCOM headquarters. The player zooms in on different sections such as laboratories or workshops in order to assign and view the projects associated with these sections. The player can observe their soldiers relaxing or exercising at the base's gym. A memorial wall to soldiers killed in action is also viewable.
Differing from the 1994 original, only one XCOM base is buildable in the game, the location of which is chosen at the beginning of the game. A passive bonus in resources is provided to the player, the nature of which differs depending on which continent the player locates their base. The player widens their ability to detect alien activity by launching satellites and positioning them over territories of interest.
All ground combat is turn-based, using an isometric 3D, third-person perspective featuring fog of war, line of sight, reaction fire and destructable environments. The player directly controls a squad of four to six human soldiers or robotic units in battle. Some gameplay features of the 1994 original have been removed or adapted. The time units system, the always-visible grid map and the inventory system of the original have been removed. Use of items and special weapons is now controlled through a toolbar of available actions on the HUD.The initial mission phase of disembarking from the transport has been removed. Missions now begin with troops deployed outside the craft. Map layouts are not randomly generated, but enemy placement is.
XCOM introduces a variety of new mechanics. A more explicit cover system is now present, as is suppressive fire, active camouflage, a variety of different abilities for both the human and alien combatants and class specialization for the XCOM operatives. The missions now have various sub-objectives other than destroying aliens and rescuing civilians, and the game engine employs cutscenes and dynamic camera movements. The new elements of this system were described as similar to the ones featured in Valkyria Chronicles and Silent Storm. Psionic combat from the original is retained.
The game also features a multiplayer mode for one-on-one tactical battles. Players spend a predefined points budget on assembling a squad of up to six humans, aliens or a mixture of both. Human units are customizable in terms of weaponry, armour and gadgets. A simplified version of the single-player perk system is also present. Alien units may not be customized but possess the abilities of corresponding aliens types in the single player mode of the game.

Anyone else super excited for this new classic-style, fast paced, turn based strategy game? It's a watered down version of the original XCOM so that means it's a hardcore strategy game with modern streamlining and big budget polish and presentation - yum.

After watching a couple videos, I don't understand how anyone could not be psyched for it (unless they're really just against the idea of any strategy game), it just looks amazing and I love the passion of the developers so much, the lead designer Jake Solomon is especially hilarious xD (although not so much in the following video, but only because he was doing this same talk through at E3 for hours and hours, so it's amazing he even has a voice in it).

River Valley (Mission control demo/walkthrough aka one of the coolest features/presentations in a game ever)

I just can't wait to play a classic-style turned based strategy like this again, they don't make them like this anymore. A totally engaging and deep single player experience with almost unlimited ways to play it pinning all responsibility on the player and his or her actions. There's just so much to the game it's going to be impossible not to have fun for a very long time with it. I'm not sure how, or if, the multiplayer's going to be, but I don't think I personally will be taking the plunge into it anyway. So, yeah?

Last edited:
Well that was short heheh, but sweet.

They really are taking this game into the "B-movie" style aren't they? Those cutscenes and dialogue were cheesy, good cheesy, but cheesy for sure x).

The gameplay felt solid in the way that it's just the same classic old format with only a nice new wrapping, so that's good. Lots of different ways to approach the enemies (in the second mission anyway). Remember also that you have two options to go to in the second mission; China and Dallas, Texas, so be sure to replay the demo to try both out.

Getting people killed sucks, but I can tell it's going to happen to me A LOT. I really love the way the mission control/HQ system works, it's going to be a deep experience on its own. This convinced me to get the game but I have a feeling it may turn some people off with its character and old school format, but that's ok.

Played the first mission in the demo, definitely getting it. 👍 Should run smooth on just about any system too.

Played it last night to after seeing this thread and the demo release.

Game is awesome.

Hope there is enough building, research and stuff in the game.

day1 purchase for me

Preordered and preloaded on Steam yesterday. :) Got some nice goodies and a free copy of Civ V there too.

Thanks for the thread and the eurogamer link!

I loved the original game. I am not so sure about this new version. If the comments are correct appear to have taken the original and dumped a few things that made it fun (a full squad, ground base defense from alien invasion, AFAICT totally random maps - not limited to a "map pool").
I am not feeling optimistic but I will keep and open mind.
:)

Yep random maps are out.

Alien spawns are totally random though.
Without spoiling too much assaults on alien base(s) are in.

Ironman mode is compatible with all difficultys.
Easy,Normal,Classic,impossible.

Just hope this does well on consoles. Be a shame for it to only stay on PC for future release.

Seems as though its 9's across the board. Destructiod,gamesradar,Joystiq,IGN.

It's going up against big hitters though. Dishonoured, Borderlands2,Fifa, upcoming call of duty etc.

I'm not too concerned that base defense (against aliens invading) is not in, never like it that much anyway. Just how many maps are in the pool? Also, what does ironman all do, is it just limiting you to one autosave or is it more?

NLxAROSA
I'm not too concerned that base defense (against aliens invading) is not in, never like it that much anyway. Just how many maps are in the pool? Also, what does ironman all do, is it just limiting you to one autosave or is it more?

Yes iron man is a one save overwrite. Basically make a move/save, get shot/save etc.

Apparently there's around 100 maps and not all will be seen on one play through. Multiple plays should reveal more.

Maybe if your on the fence, wait it out and see what the community say about it.

Welp, got it pre-loaded on my machine. I intend to really milk out the life of this game slowly. It'll be my go to pass time on those dark lonely nights with my windows wide open taking in the fresh autumn spooky desert air. I love right next to an airforce base and aren't too far from Area 51 so I'd say my location's ideal xDDD

Xbox demo up now.

Edit. Brilliant but locked into easy. Arrgghh.

Last edited:
Okay, so last week I was in the US and I saw that launch date was October 9th. So now I am back in Europe and release date here is October 12th. Meh! 👎

But of course, there are other ways. :D

Looking forward to this game, I remember playing the original on my PS1 until dawn.

Played the demo on PS3 tonight. Loved it. I am definitely picking this up.

Think I'm going classic ironman on my first play through.

The Kids this generation will find the concept of actually losing the game, Alien (scuse the pun) to them.

That's XCOM baby.

Still undecided on XBOX or PS3.
Friday can't come quick enough.

Got the game running (yes, via Steam), so spent an hour or two playing it yesterday evening. 👍

So far I really like it. It's XCOM, but it's definitely not a copy of the original. They scrapped some stuff, like having multiple bases, aliens invading your base, the need to micro manage to an absurd level, and you have a reduced squad size (start with 4, upgrade to 6 max). Furthermore, soldier inventory is extremely limited. This means that you really have to pay attention to squad loadout and you probably don't want to sacrifice any of your less experienced soldiers to flush out aliens. The maps I have encountered so far are relatively small, so there's lot's of action going on. The macro side is also simplified, but this does not necessarily make it easier here either.

Just before the EU release, the first update has been released and it brings us the following:

• Various visibility/hiding optimizations
• Multiplayer text chat support (J to activate)
• Mouse 4/5 will switch soldiers in the Barracks
• ESC hides the movement grid if you do not want to commit to a move while it is activated
• Squad Sight ability optimization
• Fixed issue when equipping two grenades with Deep Pockets.
• Fixed Rapid Fire sometimes consuming too much ammo.
• SHIVs that are damaged will no longer become unusable.
• Fixed some hangs/soft crashes in tactical combat.
• Replaced software cursor with the operating system cursor to reduce lag and framerate dependence.
• Fixed rendering bug which causes some soldier’s hair to appear as if it is rendering on top of environment fog.
• 1080p movies are now used at all times on the PC.

See Steam for more info.

I like the game but I don't think it's worthwhile to get the game at it's $50 price tag. I'll just wait for a $10 drop in price. I've watched a first impressions video and so far I like the game play.

Well I started my game today. Classic ironman mode. What can I say. Loving it so far.

Got through tutorials and customised my troops.
My best friend from school took a hit and is in sick bay for 7 days. A bit gutted as he earned a promotion for taking out two sectoids with a frag grenade.

When customising characters you can change everything but nationality and sex Hence my diverse squad.

Britain. Myself.
Germany. Thomas Jakermier (Fanatec)
Brazil. Bruno Senna.
Ireland. Barry McGuigan.
America. Mr T
Japan. Kazanouri Yamuchi.
South Africa (Female). Winnie Mandella. Lol.
America. Guile/street fighter. Looks the spit of him.
India. Ghandi.

Anyway my mission was an extraction of a civilian from alien entrapment.

Thomas Jackermeir was the most experienced of my very inexperienced rookie squad. He held a medikit freshly researched from the lab.

I myself was equipped with a freshly researched armour vest. ( well I'm biased lol )

Kazanouri Yamouchi was chosen because he's not busy at the moment.

Mr T made up my four man squad coz he's a bad ass.

Started off pretty well. A bit nervous as every move is overwritten. No sissy reloading this game.
Any way decide to split my team in two. Me and Mr T ) going left and Thomas (Fantatec) Jackermier and Kaz (Gt) going right.

Thomas and Kaz got off to a flyer. Kaz taking posistion in an abandoned Bus caught sight of two sectoids hunkered down behind a generator.
Thomas was hanging back with the medi supplies. Kaz takes a shot at a sectoid and gets a critical. The sectoid was psychi-linked to his brother so they both took the bullet.
Happy days this is too easy.

Me and Mr T are sneaking off down the other side of the map looking for our target. TBH Mr T was in front because I'm a bit biased at this point and he is my bullet sponge. Oh oh Mr T is in half cover when he catches the attention of a thin man (Humanoid alien) hiding behind an open car door. The Thin Man is in Overwatch mode which triggers him off. Mr T catches a bullet......oh he poisoned damn. I hunker down a few paces behind safe out of range
The thin man is in a powerful position and is not easily flanked but he's not aware of Tom and Kaz ha ha.

I get Mr T into full retreat and Tom patches him up with medi supplies.
Kaz meanwhile is strafeing around the rear of of the offensive humanoid, trying to get a good vantage point.

Time for me to be a hero. I march in with the idea of Fragging the car and sending him to oblivion.
Oh Crap I have no grenades, I swapped them out for my bloody vest. Ok I shoot but miss. Thin man poisions ME.
I Bring Tom in to heal me. Oh no the medikit was a one hit wonder and Mr T already had the hit ( I'm still learning after all ) and Tom is in a dangerous position.

Tom is no more, my First true casualty. I hadn't had time to grow too attached to him but it was sad to see him go.

With me poisoned and Tom Dead. Kaz goes into a panic and starts letting of random rounds. At this point I go into panic and shoot Mr T in a random spray of bullets. R.I.P Mr T you were a good sponge.

Kaz regains composure and what's more, he's in a great position and he's got one grenade.
Kaz lobs the grenade and BOOM up goes the car/thin man and any items that might have been beneficial to research, into pieces.

Cheers Kaz, just me and you now matey.
We find the target ( A Screaming woman who sounds like she's in hysterics ).

All we need to do is get her back to the sky lander.

We take the route back through the abandoned bus. Kaz in front takes a position and nightmare, thin man appears.

Poison has worn off me ( good to know ) but health loss is still there. We mange to flank him and take him out quite easily.

We make the extraction point with the target. Great , objective met.
Commander issues Fresh orders. There are more Aliens in the area. Take them out.

Whaaaaat? I just gave you two troops, my blood sweat and tears a hysterical woman and you want more.

Me and Kaz to mop up? Who knows I left it till tomorrow to see if Kazanouri and myself can complete this mission.

Great game btw.

Back