Xenn's GT3 Research Topic (Might not be 56k friendly)

• Thread starter Xenn
  • 1,506 comments
gt3rt chrysler logo.jpg

Early Chrysler logo

Hoping this isn't off-topic, but does anyone know how to make the .ads music files playable in the correct speed and pitch? I tried both MFAudio and VGSC (Video Game Sound Converter) but they end up giving me the same garbled results. I know @Xenn has posted unused music from GT2000 and GT3, but there's still the race music (prototype version of Mirage by Daiki Kasho) from the former that's been missing. It was previously posted on Youtube, but the account that had it uploaded was deleted. All I have is this MP3 conversion for reference, although I'm pretty sure that most of you have already heard it: https://clyp.it/0hsk2nz2?token=c9481469c0c0702b246c29b18b02d595

I've probably asked too many people on the Internet for this request, but I have no clue on how and why it is the only song that refuses to play correctly.

This is more research and less hidden things, but it turns out that the original Japanese release of GT4 Prologue (and the Prius Trial demo based on it) uses GT3 car and track formats, rather than GT4 formats like the PAL release. If used to replace an existing track, GT3 can load and run the tracks flawlessly, including AI lines and replay cameras. The car models work too, but obviously without the correct physics.

gt3-aria.png

gt3-aria5.png

gt3-newyork1.png

gt3-newyork4.png

gt3-newyork6.png

gt3-newyork7.png

GT4P also has a very, very early Nurburgring model, with only the track loft and minimap present:
gt3-nurbloft2.png

has anyone got something like a tool to rebuild the gt3.vol file so I can add the NTSC hidden car bodies back into the PAL version so I can access the ntsc formula cars in PAL maybe with a tutorial on how to replace car bodies I messaged someone on here about it but they don't seem to want to help tbh. Thanks in advance

This is more research and less hidden things, but it turns out that the original Japanese release of GT4 Prologue (and the Prius Trial demo based on it) uses GT3 car and track formats, rather than GT4 formats like the PAL release. If used to replace an existing track, GT3 can load and run the tracks flawlessly, including AI lines and replay cameras. The car models work too, but obviously without the correct physics.

gt3-aria.png

gt3-aria5.png

gt3-newyork1.png

gt3-newyork4.png

gt3-newyork6.png

gt3-newyork7.png

GT4P also has a very, very early Nurburgring model, with only the track loft and minimap present:
gt3-nurbloft2.png

Awesome stuff!

I gotta give this a go since I have a physical copy of Japanese GT4 prologue.

I made a post literally a second ago on this topic but has anyone noticed the scrolling text on the arcade mode menu’s car class select seems to correspond to an older version of GT3? There’s several cars that were rearranged/renamed (the MR2 being one of them), a few typos... it also seems like at that point there was no need to unlock the cars either as some of them were made locked but still appear in the text.

I believe the same thing applies in the arcade main menu too, there’s a few things that were changed about after that was completed (and Smokey Mountain retains the word ‘North’ in the final version on the Bonus Items menu)

A still can't wait for a GT3 Vol tool that can export/import things and rebuild the archive so I can add the NTSC F1 cars and other hidden cars into my save packs... I don't see why it wouldn't be possible I may also repackage the game so the new, updated version is the one I play, so I can buy the NTSC F1 cars in my GT3 Playthrough.

A still can't wait for a GT3 Vol tool that can export/import things and rebuild the archive so I can add the NTSC F1 cars and other hidden cars into my save packs... I don't see why it wouldn't be possible I may also repackage the game so the new, updated version is the one I play, so I can buy the NTSC F1 cars in my GT3 Playthrough.
There is a tool for that already.
I created a GT3 "mod", that has music from GT3 NTSC-J, Car prizes from GT3 NTSC-J, Class C and Rally Class in Arcade mode are replaced with Class Preview (almost all cars), and includes all Gran Turismo Concept courses and body models (ONLY body models, no car parts, to use new models you must memory edit the game to use them.) I even did a test with GT4 Prologue cars and tracks. They work too.

There is a tool for that already.
I created a GT3 "mod", that has music from GT3 NTSC-J, Car prizes from GT3 NTSC-J, Class C and Rally Class in Arcade mode are replaced with Class Preview (almost all cars), and includes all Gran Turismo Concept courses and body models (ONLY body models, no car parts, to use new models you must memory edit the game to use them.) I even did a test with GT4 Prologue cars and tracks. They work too.
ahhh it must've been you I heard about that was doing that that's amazing work it truly is but my problem is that I play on playstation 2 hardware as my pc isn't powerful enough to run the game in emulation, I think I ave added all the cars that weren't present in pal version but my game freezes right on the intro, I just dragged and dropped everything in the cars folder from the ntsc files into the cars folder of the PAL version and rebuilt the archive and dragged the PAL gt3.vol with the added cars into the PAL version but I just get a freeze... I nearly got it working on the PS2 :(

ahhh it must've been you I heard about that was doing that that's amazing work it truly is but my problem is that I play on playstation 2 hardware as my pc isn't powerful enough to run the game in emulation, I think I ave added all the cars that weren't present in pal version but my game freezes right on the intro, I just dragged and dropped everything in the cars folder from the ntsc files into the cars folder of the PAL version and rebuilt the archive and dragged the PAL gt3.vol with the added cars into the PAL version but I just get a freeze... I nearly got it working on the PS2 :(
You may be using an older/wrong version of the rebuilder. There is a rebuilder that extracts the files properly, so that they can be rebuilt so that they work.
My mod does work on real hardware, and it works flawlessly, there's no issues.

You may be using an older/wrong version of the rebuilder. There is a rebuilder that extracts the files properly, so that they can be rebuilt so that they work.
My mod does work on real hardware, and it works flawlessly, there's no issues.

oh wow really????? am amazed and over the moon, as soon as your version of the game is out am going to download it all the way and try and get it onto me ps2 thank you so so much for telling me btw, also I wonder if you might link me to the updated version, am on the GTP hidden things but the only version on there was 0.2.1 I think made by pez2k but thank you so so much again for telling me that. :)))

oh wow really????? am amazed and over the moon, as soon as your version of the game is out am going to download it all the way and try and get it onto me ps2 thank you so so much for telling me btw, also I wonder if you might link me to the updated version, am on the GTP hidden things but the only version on there was 0.2.1 I think made by pez2k but thank you so so much again for telling me that. :)))
Are you in the GT Discord?

Are you in the GT Discord?
ye I'm in there as ILOVEFOOTBALL95 I also remember downloading the .bat tools that you uploaded In the resource centre the extract.bat and the rebuild.bat I tried using them with the gtvol extractor but I got the same result. I literally can't wait for your version of the game tho

ye I'm in there as ILOVEFOOTBALL95 I also remember downloading the .bat tools that you uploaded In the resource centre the extract.bat and the rebuild.bat I tried using them with the gtvol extractor but I got the same result. I literally can't wait for your version of the game tho
Ah, I see.
In the resources there should be the newest version of the VOL extractor by Pez, that will extract data like cars and courses properly in a .gz format.
My mod is basically finished at the moment, can't add parts until Pez finishes a tool for part porting.

Ah, I see.
In the resources there should be the newest version of the VOL extractor by Pez, that will extract data like cars and courses properly in a .gz format.
My mod is basically finished at the moment, can't add parts until Pez finishes a tool for part porting.
ah a think the latest version is 0.2.1 or something which av got and it does extract the cars in .gz format when I add the .gz files from the NTSC folder into the PAL cars folder I still get a crash, I wonder if its something to do with compatibility settings I'm running on the tool and the CMD program, I pretty much give up tho, its too advanced for a mere mortal like me lol may I ask will you be adding everything from the NTSC amaerican version too? like the different songs and what not?

Add the Toyota Pod and the Pod Race Track from GTC 2002 TG. Or if replace, replace the track "Route 11" Track, don't know the exact name. Hehe.

gt3-aria.png

gt3-aria5.png

gt3-newyork1.png

gt3-newyork4.png

gt3-newyork6.png

gt3-newyork7.png

gt3-nurbloft2.png

nice. New york super speedway and assisi.

Wow this is incredible.. a quick skim through the video allowed me to pick some of the more interesting findings:

• PD were originally going to include an option for changing the chase camera from "tight" to "loose", which we wouldn't see until GT Sport (I believe?) Previous GTs only allowed changing the camera distance in-game, with the exception of replays. Also three cameras named "driver", "chase1", and "chase2"...

• The in-game map would be able to be turned off.

• Volume sliders! One thing I always disliked about GT3 was how the music wasn't able to be adjusted so the engine noises would be drowned out. (Why PD decided to remove such an essential feature I will never know..) Maybe they ran into issues?

• Early renditions of lots of Simulation Mode tracks, with broken melodies. They have this off-tempo feel that reminds me of GT4P's music. Hope somebody uploads them soon.
  • zz_flame_test?? Almost like an overlay of some sort, I really don't know what it would be used for, unless it was just a developer tool.
  • "The Tokyo metropolitan government's Tax Commission on Friday proposed a tax on diesel trucks that cause air pollution". Guess someone at PD was keeping up with the news over in Japan.

• "Parking" menu in Simulation mode? Also the strange "Car Audio" option under the "Others" section in the Tune Shop. It lists "Normal", "Radio", "Auto Changer", and "My Favorite CD". Unless this means that GT3 could have allowed custom music playback, I supposed it's just rough translations of the playlist feature included in the retail game.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago hearing a rumour a few years ago that the was a 1 in 100,000 chance that a strange glitch would cause GT3 to boot into a late beta build of the game, presumably caused by a damaged disc. Unfortunately it was just a dream, but some games do have an issue like this, so maybe my dream was caused by something.

Back