Xenn's GT3 Research Topic (Might not be 56k friendly)

• Thread starter Xenn
  • 1,506 comments

It is embedded whether I like it or not...

Link:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tkj0iyI-B-034VFPxPvLYT20dkL-fEhd62FW7XjH-2w/edit?usp=sharing

May have inaccuracies but shouldn't.

By the way I found a Williams F1 but I'm unsure if it is just a copy of one already normally in the NTSC version. I'm unfamiliar with the FXXX cars. I should be a regional version as it is called wl1001, with the first 1 denoting regional. But that doesn't make any sense as regional F1s (Polyphony00Xs) are called pd001X.
View attachment 612431
Considering there's a similarly named Lotus F1 which is referenced but doesn't exist, I think that the Polyphony00X F1s were originally going to be referred to as lo1024 and wl1001 respectively.

I found the same in GT Concept, there might be some duplicates.

Fabulous! Now I wonder is these can be ported to the final version.

Exactly what demo is it?

I should've mentioned it in my initial post with those videos, d'oh.

This is the NTSC demo, serial code SCUS-97115.

what's that codes? sorry I'm a newbie.

The codes you see there are values the game uses to load each track in the game, I assume they are hash values, I could be wrong.

I can try helping you build up a database of all the car code names if you want me too, via Google Docs so anyone can have access to the information to where the game is easily moddable.

On what Xenn is stating is that it will be hard to develop these codes to be finalized, in relation to htat you must understand Hex, and all the GameShark or all other platforms of other cheat devices. It's not that simple though since once you don't save anything it is dictated by the amount of RAM the PS2 cached in to look through one of those Memory Editors in full time. We have gathered a lot of information over the years of the entire 1st and 2nd generation of GTs, but I bet we can still find more stuff if we look hard enough.

It takes a bit of time to make a code easily, but you have to know the offset, and the altering digits that come after. PS1 codes usually alter 4-32 bytes of data. While PS2s alters 8-32 bytes of data via local memory saved or cached on the system at all times. Depending on the codes that are used.

Very much correct on this. I had to learn all the various things needed to create codes that would work well, especially some of the demo codes, like my GT2 early demo car replacement codes.

Had I not learnt how to use the Copy Memory code (C2XXXXXX YYYY), the code would've been A LOT bigger. And with some devices having a 255 line limit, that would limit your code choice.

EDIT: I found a new (duplicate) car: [ATTACH=full
612290[/ATTACH] View attachment 612291

"fo0024" a Mustang Cobra R with placeholder rims and a single giant rim projected onto the road.

I have a feeling that might be the remnants of the Mustang SVT Cobra '99, with the body being removed since the demos but the wheels are still there.

@NoGoodNames I don't think so, 'cause if that was the case, then the Cobra's wheels would be placed correctly (not sticking out that much) as the R and the removed Cobra have the same wheelbase and width.

@NoGoodNames I don't think so, 'cause if that was the case, then the Cobra's wheels would be placed correctly (not sticking out that much) as the R and the removed Cobra have the same wheelbase and width.
I only swapped the car's body as that was all I was searching through. It's a CLK DTM chassis. (The wheels however are swapped along with the body, just placed where the CLK's are)

I know this is years old at this point but still
HDT Commodore
Also, I searched for the Clubsport and the EB110, they have loads of entries, including a couple that refer to textures, with the strings “clubsport_r8_00.img” and "eb110_00.img"
The img strings are the original filenames of the uncompressed files which are handily stored in the first few bytes of the compressed gzip files. The uncompressed images in this case are arcade mode nameplates and they're all like this one for the r50_00, just a blank banner.

gt3-r50.png

There's one of these for each of:

clubsport_r8
eb110_00
eb18_4_veyron_00
rx_evolv_00
a non rally Delta HF Integrale
a non racing Falcon XR8
A non racing Storm V12

Also, this didn't seem to be posted in the thread. ni0120 is a wind-up-wheeled Pennzoil Nismo
duppenzoil.png

I also found that there are other tyre restrictions for events apart from just dirt. It goes from Level 2 to Level 8 (setting it to 9 requires dirt tyres). 2-8 don't seem to be enforced though, as I could still enter with standard tyres.
level8tyres.png

Last thing, I know someone's done this above but I dumped all the mappings of name to model ID's from the various databases in the various regions of GT3's and GT Concepts into a spreadsheet. The In? Columns don't work on Google Docs because VLookup works differently than in Excel2003, but if you download it and open it in Excel they'll work again. It only includes the cars in the internal databases, so there's no name for that Pennzoil Nismo above for example, since it wasn't meant to be driven.
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pn41koN41r20GKyrskai8wtDOQ0EYnVtU-TmEMF0pQw/edit?usp=sharing

I know this is years old at this point but still

The img strings are the original filenames of the uncompressed files which are handily stored in the first few bytes of the compressed gzip files. The uncompressed images in this case are arcade mode nameplates and they're all like this one for the r50_00, just a blank banner.

View attachment 614414
There's one of these for each of:

clubsport_r8
eb110_00
eb18_4_veyron_00
rx_evolv_00
a non rally Delta HF Integrale
a non racing Falcon XR8
A non racing Storm V12

Also, this didn't seem to be posted in the thread. ni0120 is a wind-up-wheeled Pennzoil Nismo
View attachment 614415

I also found that there are other tyre restrictions for events apart from just dirt. It goes from Level 2 to Level 8 (setting it to 9 requires dirt tyres). 2-8 don't seem to be enforced though, as I could still enter with standard tyres.
View attachment 614416

Last thing, I know someone's done this above but I dumped all the mappings of name to model ID's from the various databases in the various regions of GT3's and GT Concepts into a spreadsheet. The In? Columns don't work on Google Docs because VLookup works differently than in Excel2003, but if you download it and open it in Excel they'll work again. It only includes the cars in the internal databases, so there's no name for that Pennzoil Nismo above for example, since it wasn't meant to be driven.
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pn41koN41r20GKyrskai8wtDOQ0EYnVtU-TmEMF0pQw/edit?usp=sharing

Which software did you use to make the extracted images work?

I've tried and they wont work.

Finally found two GT3 demos (ofc they'd have identical VOLs, go figure, SCED-50410/PCPX-96606 are the same content wise). There's five files named debug<number>.pmb in total (pmb files are kinda like HTML files for the UI, they say how things are laid out and where stuff links to etc) four contain things you'd expect

gt3.png

The fifth one though...

debug1.pmb.png

It's the top bit of the picture on this page of the Japanese Prime Minister's website (my tool isn't 100% so that's why it looks a bit dodgy, it'd be fine 'in-game' though). The main guy in the picture seems to be Yoshiro Mori, he was the Prime Minister of Japan in 2000/1. No idea what it says, though it's probably something campaign/rugby related.

Finally found two GT3 demos (ofc they'd have identical VOLs, go figure, SCED-50410/PCPX-96606 are the same content wise). There's five files named debug<number>.pmb in total (pmb files are kinda like HTML files for the UI, they say how things are laid out and where stuff links to etc) four contain things you'd expect

View attachment 616097

The fifth one though...

View attachment 616078

It's the top bit of the picture on this page of the Japanese Prime Minister's website (my tool isn't 100% so that's why it looks a bit dodgy, it'd be fine 'in-game' though). The main guy in the picture seems to be Yoshiro Mori, he was the Prime Minister of Japan in 2000/1. No idea what it says, though it's probably something campaign/rugby related.
Why not try activating the debug UI's in-game, it should display a lot things like ScreenPrintIf is a debug function used by many compilers such as C++.

View attachment 616097

The two serial codes you mentioned match up to the OPS2M Demo and the PurePure Demo.

As I had suspected in the past, the OPS2M Demo and the PurePure Demo are basically the same build, except you can drive in the OPS2M Demo and in the PurePure build, you can only watch replays.

As if we haven't looked into the OPS2M demo enough already. Seriously, haven't we been looking into that demo since day one?

Courtesy of the @thefanman, he found the course selection demos in the final game!

Here they are in action, in the OPS2M demo:

As you can see, some are glitchier than others, like SSR11 which basically looks down at the road more than anything else (and uses the old layout), and Laguna Seca, which suffers the same fate but also restarts the demo halfway around the track. Some aren't even shown because they just show a Seattle demo.

Don't know if I already mentioned this once but to be sure, I found this video during GT3's development. See if you can find anything interesting.

It is kinda rare to have the news giving us a short documentary about a video game.

Last edited:
I've already done this with GT1 and 2, but here are my 2017 predictions for GT3 research:

-Someone, whether it be Xenn or EncounterGTR, gets their hands on the long lost Store Demo Volume 1 and finds the tracks hidden inside. MattJ155, a GT demo collecting YouTuber, also acquires this demo.
-Remember GT2 last year with all the modding going on because you could port from the demos? You could even do the same on GT1. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in GT3 next year as well. In fact, I had expected it to happen before 2016 ended, but it never did.

I've already done this with GT1 and 2, but here are my 2017 predictions for GT3 research:

-Someone, whether it be Xenn or EncounterGTR, gets their hands on the long lost Store Demo Volume 1 and finds the tracks hidden inside. MattJ155, a GT demo collecting YouTuber, also acquires this demo.
-Remember GT2 last year with all the modding going on because you could port from the demos? You could even do the same on GT1. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in GT3 next year as well. In fact, I had expected it to happen before 2016 ended, but it never did.

To answer the modding one:
GT3 modding has been done already, before GT2

Is it true that GT2000 is in fact a PS1 game in disguise? Back in the day, cracker groups Paradox and BAD released a patch that allowed you to play the game on your modded PS1 by changing the game's boot code. The patch seems to have been lost to time, but the cracktro remains.

I checked the Paradox variant video that shows the trainers, and I'm getting slightly suspicious of it (@dzajkel already said it hangs after leaving the cracktro):

paradox gt2k.png

:confused:

Store Demo Volume 1? I think @edward_v12 has that copy though.
https://www.gtplanet.net/the-worlds-ultimate-gran-turismo-collection/
Unreleased Games & Demos

• Gran Turismo Test Drive [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Store Demo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Test Drive PlayStation Club Pule Pule vol.8 extra [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Trial Version [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Promo [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo Demo KB Toys [NTSC-U/C]
  • Gran Turismo Promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Press Launch Box #0007 [PAL-FR]
  • Gran Turismo Limited Edition PlayStation discs 100 million [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 2 Test Drive [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 2 Promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 2 Promo [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 2 Press Pack [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 2 Rental Version [PAL-IT]
  • Gran Turismo 2000 [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Store Demo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Store Demo Vol. 2 [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Store Demo Video (JP)[NTSC-VHS]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Replay Theater [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Replay Theater Netz-Toyota [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Replay Theater AUTOBACS Limited Edition [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Replay Theater Red cover [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Promo [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec Promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (with book) Mega Hits Promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo Store Demo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo Store Demo DVD [NTSC-R2]
  • Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo Promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Concept 2002 Tokyo-Geneva Press Pack [EU] (not PlayStation format.)
  • Gran Turismo Concept Daihatsu Copen Special Edition [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo Concept Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo Special Edition [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo VW Lupo Cup Japan Training Version 1 [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 4 Toyota Prius Trial Version [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 4 prologue Promo [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo Special Edition 2004 Toyota Demo [NTSC-U/C]
  • Gran Turismo Nissan 350z Edition (Press Pack) [NTSC-U/C]
  • Gran Turismo Nissan 350z Edition (Disc only) [PAL-UK]
  • Gran Turismo Nissan Micra Edition (Press Pack) [PAL-UK]
  • Gran Turismo 4 Prologue Promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 4 BMW 1 series Virtual Drive [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 4 BMW 1 series Virtual Drive Dealership (Sleeve only) [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 4 Store Demo DVD vol.1 [NTSC-R2]
  • Gran Turismo 4 First Preview Demo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 4 First Preview for (magazine) The PlayStation [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 4 Promo [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 4 (with book) promo [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 4 NIKE Limited Edition Promo (JP/ Dec, 2004)
  • Press kit for event Gran Turismo 4 FIRST FLIGHT [JP] (info,brochure, sticker and CD-R)
  • Gran Turismo 4 LX (Press Launch Box) #0635 [PAL]
  • Gran Turismo 4 Online Test Version [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo HD Ver.1.1 Install Disc [NTSC-J]
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Store Demo DVD [NTSC-R2]
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Press Launch Box [PAL-UK]
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Promo [PAL-DE]
Is that the disk that you're looking for?

This might be footage of it:
If it indeed it is, it has some interesting changes.

-Possibly, the menu music is still from GT2000 and older GT3 demos.
-Different tire squeal and car collision sounds.
-Different replay angles.
-Physics seem lighter than Volume 2, but heavier than the OPS2M demo.
-Seattle has Havoline boards from GT2.
-The finish line position at Smokey Mountain South is slightly incorrect.

Somewhere on the Internet I had found a pre-release car list with the 156 Touring Car present.
The 1998 GT-One is the one from GT2:
847.jpg

Somewhere earlier in the thread I had also seen that somebody saw the Daishin Silvia from GT2 in an old GT3 car list here.
544.jpg

But I guess this was replaced by the Razo C-West Silvia in the final.

Analysis:

-The removed logo alongside the "LICENSE CENTER" text appears to be a city.
-Small differences on the second image, it says "Launch Start" underneath the track map. I don't remember seeing anything like that in the final game. The icon of the test car originally had a white background and also didn't show the side view, instead showing the icon of the car as seen in Arcade Mode.
-The MR-S used in the B-7 license test was originally red rather than green.
-It appears that when you acquired a license, the icons originally weren't 3D.
-Before races, it originally showed replay angles, while in the final version, either a bumper cam or chase cam is used. Also, judging by the font on the menu and the sponsors at Trial Mountain in the background, it appears that some of these shots were taken in builds from before the OPS2M demo at least.
-It appears that Time Trials in Arcade Mode were originally called Time Attacks, as that appears to be the Viper GTSR Concept at Laguna Seca time trial. Also, "Logger" was changed to something else in the final, I can't remember what though.
-The Options menu was slightly different, the icons up top didn't have an orange circle background, and instead would be highlighted in red when selected. A few of the icons were quite different as well, and there was even an exit button in the Options menu (the icon of the person running, seen on the right)
-The TRD logo was different. It also appears that the manufacturer logo would appear everywhere in the Tune Shop (if I remember correctly, the manufacturer logo is only seen on the main menu of the Tune Shop in the final)
-The Arcade Mode main menu used different font, also notice the absence of "Free Run"...
-It appears that when you highlighted a country in the Car Dealership, a list of all manufacturers from that country would appear. Also notice the absence of the countries of Belgium and Australia, but that might be because cars from those countries weren't finished yet.
-Not only were icons green when not highlighted, but it seems that the shape of the list of selections was different, although it could just be me...
-The early prize screen reminds me of GT1 somehow...
-I can't say much about the early Data Logger screen, because I never go there in the final game, but judging by the fact that there's Laguna Seca, and also an Esprit going up against a 328Ci, I'd say those images come from another pre-OPS2M demo build. That last image is a dead giveaway as well, since it looks like most early screenshots would, plus those curbs at Trial Mountain are HUGE...

-It appears that Time Trials in Arcade Mode were originally called Time Attacks, as that appears to be the Viper GTSR Concept at Laguna Seca time trial. Also, "Logger" was changed to something else in the final, I can't remember what though.

In the PAL version that's what they were actually called.

I was comparing it to the NTSC-U version, where they're still called Time Trials. ;) Is that Data Logger thingy still called Data Logger on the PAL version? :confused:

Back