Xenn's GT3 Research Topic (Might not be 56k friendly)

• Thread starter Xenn
  • 1,506 comments
Either Circle 60R or 100R in the wet. It looks unfinished in that image, is it possibly another Store Demo Volume 2 track that we haven't been able to load yet?
In GT3 I always think that the Circle courses are set somewhere near the Special Stage Routes because of the towers. It would be interesting to know where they actually are.

A little late reply, but:

Did you know that in early versions of GT3 the Circle courses were going to be set outside of Deep Forest? Here's proof:

In that video, you can see the mountains from Deep Forest at one point:
download7632ae29_ed_2f0_2fPictures_2fScreenshots_2fScreenshot_20170827-221556.png
downloadcb229f27_ed_2f0_2fPictures_2fScreenshots_2fScreenshot_20170827-221752.png

So it seems the exact location of the Circle courses originally was just outside of turn one at Deep Forest. The exact location in the final game is still something I'll have to figure out, however.

A demo / build I kinda want to see discovered is this:

I'm guessing there probably won't be very much interesting stuff in there, but from the footage alone, it's still not exactly like the final.

The music in the races is what gets me. The Smokey Mountain race has Lenny Kravitz playing in the background. Lenny Kravitz was only featured in the NTSC-U version of GT3 if I'm not mistaken. While the description of this build in the demo disc states it as "the import version of the game", so the build is likely Japanese.

Same thing with the first race on Tokyo R246. I have no idea what that song was, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't play in the NTSC-J version either...

Songs flowing in this video also flow in the Japanese version

Attachments

• bandicam 2017-08-28 20-03-34-345.png
    bandicam 2017-08-28 20-03-34-345.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 91
Hey guys. Here's some more older graphics found in GT3. This stuff was found in the Japanese version.

gt_mode.101.pmb: This is the main GT Mode screen.
gt_mode.301.pmb: An early Car Dealership.

Sweet Stuff! 👍

I found that some of the images can be seen in the NTSC-J manual.

The GT Mode background seems to be spilt into 6 parts, I'll merge the puzzle...

EDIT:

wLGgo2C.png

I'll make a alternate with the icons sooner.

Last edited:
Speaking of editing images, I've kinda been "filling in the blanks" in EncounterGTR's videos of the Store Demo Volume 2, where I replace any placeholder texture with the actual logos. I'm even using the manufacturer logos that Xenn just found in the NTSC-J version.

Here's what I've done so far:
GVS.png

Viper.png

TahitiMaze.png

SSR5.png

Calibra.png

Interesting stuff. It looks like those graphics were taken from the same build as this:
8tnu01000000ae2u.jpg

Remember the name of that mysterious cut race? Now we can see it clearly, it is:
Screenshot_20170904-103152.png

"206B Ultra ATA drive"
I spotted a weird blurb of text in the FF Challenge, I try to translate it fully later.
Screenshot_20170904-102850.png

So far, I've got:
"(C)1999 Polyphony Ltd. Developed by"

EDIT: I took the image into GIMP and mirrored it, and this blurb of text seems to be a placeholder, oddly from some Formula One game. Here's the full translation:

"(C)1999 Playgross Ltd. Developed by Studio 33 (UK) Ltd.
Playgross and the Playgross logo are TM or (R) of Playgross Ltd.
An official product of the FIA Formula One World Championship.
Licensed by Formula One Administration Ltd."

Last edited:
"(C)1999 Playgross Ltd. Developed by Studio 33 (UK) Ltd.
Playgross and the Playgross logo are TM or (R) of Playgross Ltd.
An official product of the FIA Formula One World Championship.
Licensed by Formula One Administration Ltd."

The company is called Psygnosis, and I found it earlier in SSR5 Wet Rally event.

So, I was checking through the Obscure Gamers forums (I do so every once in a while), and in a thread called "WANTED: lost beta releases!", these two GT3 related things (which appear to be preview builds) came across my eye.

1. Gran_Turismo_3_A-spec_Usa_Ps2-Preview
  2. Gran_Turismo_3_2nd_Preview_Unlock_Patch_NTSC_PS2-PulSar
A couple US GT3 builds.

Here's the thread for those interested.
https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/wanted-lost-beta-releases.22500/

So, I was checking through the Obscure Gamers forums (I do so every once in a while), and in a thread called "WANTED: lost beta releases!", these two GT3 related things (which appear to be preview builds) came across my eye.

1. Gran_Turismo_3_A-spec_Usa_Ps2-Preview
  2. Gran_Turismo_3_2nd_Preview_Unlock_Patch_NTSC_PS2-PulSar
A couple US GT3 builds.

Here's the thread for those interested.
https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/wanted-lost-beta-releases.22500/
Nice find. Can't wait till we get to see it. This should definitely get us somewhere.

Ay, I see one of those screenshots has the Seatle Circuit in a cloudy tone. That's cool, wonder if we can find such a demo that has that track. It looks so good.

Yeah I didn't point out cars like the Clio because they were already in other games but the Midget with the rear cover was something unusual to see, because all of its GT appearances depict it without it.

As for other cars, I see a Mazda RX-7 GT Turbo '83, Subaru Legacy GT-B Wagon '98, a Toyota Vitz F '99 (I think), and the rest I can't make out. Another image shows the Citroen Xantia and Mazdaspeed RX-7 GTC A-Spec '99.

If you look closely on the magazine pages (from wayback machine) you can see that very MX-5 real life test car there. (third page)

Which car is that black (Honda?) car on lower first page?

unknown.png

This is from GT2000. Basically, using this application we can see 3d model although at the moment I was able to display only vertex. Still, you can clearly see the shape of the track.
This means that, as far as we can see at the moment, there's an actual 3d model.
If you try to load the track, the game display a black screen. Also, the track lack 2 files (crs and ene files) that seattle has. I wonder if it doesn't load because of that.

This is highly likely. I'd try copy/pasting the crs and ene files over to see if they make any difference.
The problem is that those files are stored into VOL file, so with my knowledge I can't do too much other than extract the vol or see files with hex editor.

Back