Xiaomi Reveals its Vision GT Car, Coming to Gran Turismo Soon

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 62 comments
  • 10,925 views
Cool! Maybe we'll see it in the Februa– oh, man. It's March already?
Yeah, bring on that fourth anniversary update, just please don't set the inevitable Xiaomi VGT time trial on Nürb 24 Reverse!
How about Eiger Reverse instead? 👿
 
It’s amazing how a concept car can bring out those who are out of touch with where the auto industry is heading
It’s fascinating to see how the "Concept Car" has evolved. Not long ago, these were untouchable icons, locked away in expensive magazines or behind velvet ropes at auto shows that cost manufacturers a fortune. Their reach was elitist and limited.

Today, the game has changed—literally. Programs like Vision Gran Turismo (VGT) have turned video games into the ultimate R&D laboratory:

Low-Cost Styling Labs: Manufacturers can now test radical design languages at a fraction of the cost of a physical prototype.
Instant Big Data: Through Gran Turismo, brands get immediate telemetry and usage data. They aren't just looking at the car; they’re seeing how a new generation interacts with it.
Performance Stress-Testing: Unlike a static concept car on a podium, players push these digital machines to their absolute limits. Through thousands of time trials and millions of kilometers driven, every aerodynamic flaw or handling quirk is exposed.
The Global Focus Group: Platforms like YouTube, X, and GT Planet act as real-time barometers. The comments section is the new market research.
Stylistic Conditioning: This is the real masterstroke. By putting these designs in the hands of young gamers today, manufacturers are formatting the aesthetic expectations of tomorrow’s buyers.

The "out of touch" critics miss the point: these aren't just digital toys. They are strategic tools designed to build consent for the future of automotive design.
 
mef
Dear PD/sony, stop already with the VGT *****.

They aren’t real cars, stop pretending. I’ve got wipeout here if I want that kind of racing
Hilariously, I'm all for this because there's no new Wipeout games. The VGTs are a close enough replacement, so I'm here for it.
 
Last edited:
Hilariously, I'm all for this because there's no new Wipeout games. The VGTs are a close enough replacement, so I'm here for it.
Try Red out 2 on ps5. I still play ps4 wipeout too, holds up
 
I'm good with it, only if it is grind-friendly EV like the Hyundai and Audi VGTs. So far, those two are the only EVs that can last multiple laps on one charge.
 
The rear end strongly reminds me of the Tomahawk.

New cars are great, but my enthusiasm for VGTs is somewhat limited.

They generally can't be tuned, neither visually nor in terms of performance.
 
Last edited:
HCVfCF4WIAABufo
HCVfCF5XkAAmqMx
HCVfCGWa0AAUWqo
 
not against VGTs but they should have been more customizable
 
Instant Big Data: Through Gran Turismo, brands get immediate telemetry and usage data. They aren't just looking at the car; they’re seeing how a new generation interacts with it.
Performance Stress-Testing: Unlike a static concept car on a podium, players push these digital machines to their absolute limits. Through thousands of time trials and millions of kilometers driven, every aerodynamic flaw or handling quirk is exposed.
By my knowledge, manufacturers use totally different means to get this type of data and certainly doesn't resort to use of Gran Turismo. On top of it, you wouldn't believe how much of this 'big data' is collected by just driving actual vehicles at test areas or on public roads.

All in all, VGTs are really just about the visual design with a little bit of sensory marketing or sound engineering. That doesn't make them less interesting and important for GT and the makers though.
 
Last edited:
Aw man why they have to spoil the performance figures like that?
Acceleration seems quick enough, but its Top Speed barely any faster than maxed out SU7 Ultra so this must have a lot of downforces focused much more on the handling while try to avoid a direct comparison to BYD Yangwang U9 Xtreme.
What if that this is just the road going version and not pushed it to 11 prototype race version because these performance figures are not very impressive it will be still darn fast and hopefully, it won't handle like Jaguar VGT SV which will be its direct rival instead, Top Speed obviously the Xiaomi VGT is going to lose.
Screenshot_2-3-2026_18551_www.youtube.com.webp

Still hopes this is just a placeholder specs and not yet final, if not then its better handles like a dream.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2-3-2026_18551_www.youtube.com.webp
    Screenshot_2-3-2026_18551_www.youtube.com.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 9
That's actually really pretty from the top angle.

The rear does ruin it, but from the front three quarters? One of the nicest VGTs we've seen looks wise.
Agreed - the top photo makes it look very good indeed - the rear, on the other hand, is pretty hideous, but does look big enough for a set of golf clubs.
 
Last edited:
Another VGT car being highlighted again.

I’m genuinely curious — are there actually many people in the GT7 population who look forward to these and use them by choice? Not because of weekly challenges or events that force you into them, but voluntarily?

When the Ferrari 296 GT3 was announced, the excitement was obvious. Same with the new Porsche 911 GT3. Those are real cars with real racing stories behind them. You can connect to them. You see them in actual series, you understand their context, their development, their performance envelope. There’s something tangible about them.

With VGTs, I honestly struggle to feel that connection. Apart from events where you have to use them, I probably wouldn’t touch them. But maybe I’m in the minority. Maybe a lot of people actually enjoy driving them purely for what they are.

I’m curious what the general feeling is here. Do you actively enjoy VGT cars, or are they mostly something you use when the game requires it?
I don't use them unless forced to. And I keep a few in my garage only for that purpose. If I win VGTs I sell them immediately. Just unrealistic crap.
 
Very interesting, thanks for the info.
 
It’s fascinating to see how the "Concept Car" has evolved. Not long ago, these were untouchable icons, locked away in expensive magazines or behind velvet ropes at auto shows that cost manufacturers a fortune. Their reach was elitist and limited.

Today, the game has changed—literally. Programs like Vision Gran Turismo (VGT) have turned video games into the ultimate R&D laboratory:

Low-Cost Styling Labs: Manufacturers can now test radical design languages at a fraction of the cost of a physical prototype.
Instant Big Data: Through Gran Turismo, brands get immediate telemetry and usage data. They aren't just looking at the car; they’re seeing how a new generation interacts with it.
Performance Stress-Testing: Unlike a static concept car on a podium, players push these digital machines to their absolute limits. Through thousands of time trials and millions of kilometers driven, every aerodynamic flaw or handling quirk is exposed.
The Global Focus Group: Platforms like YouTube, X, and GT Planet act as real-time barometers. The comments section is the new market research.
Stylistic Conditioning: This is the real masterstroke. By putting these designs in the hands of young gamers today, manufacturers are formatting the aesthetic expectations of tomorrow’s buyers.

The "out of touch" critics miss the point: these aren't just digital toys. They are strategic tools designed to build consent for the future of automotive design.
🎯
You perfectly put in words something that it should be obvious but it seems it is not given the criticism each VGT brings to this forums.

Besides that, I never undestood the haters on this topic.
Is like entering a restaurant shouting to the cheff "stop doing bittersweet recipes, no ones like them"

I can understand if you dont like VGTs, just dont drive them and let other people enjoy.
 
PD needs to stop adding these random VGTs before we get the ones we were promised thirteen years ago :mad::mad::mad::mad:

View attachment 1517108

I want my Nike 2022 2 :grumpy:
I get the sneaky suspicion that with how things have played out lately, I can confidently say one of those brands might not even exist in the near future to give us a VGT.
 
Aw man why they have to spoil the performance figures like that?
Acceleration seems quick enough, but its Top Speed barely any faster than maxed out SU7 Ultra so this must have a lot of downforces focused much more on the handling while try to avoid a direct comparison to BYD Yangwang U9 Xtreme.
What if that this is just the road going version and not pushed it to 11 prototype race version because these performance figures are not very impressive it will be still darn fast and hopefully, it won't handle like Jaguar VGT SV which will be its direct rival instead, Top Speed obviously the Xiaomi VGT is going to lose.
View attachment 1517074
Still hopes this is just a placeholder specs and not yet final, if not then its better handles like a dream.
I guess they’re trying to be realistic with the specs. Maybe to the point of putting it on the market. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.
 
Maybe it’ll be an unpopular opinion or maybe not, but as I understood back then when the Vision Gran Turismo debuted in GT6, the idea was for car makers and engineers and designers create what they would be able to do without factoring real world expenses and costs, without any road car vs race car rules to go by, even insofar as to not follow any rule whatsoever. You have a carte blanche to do your ultimate car US, EU, FIA, NHTSA regulations and costs and materials expenses be damned.

In that regard I do like them to see the way the program was designed for: a what if I had unlimited money, resources, no rules to be followed ultimate car I could make.

Granted for gameplay purposes the sterile soulless feeling as many people describe them is valid (from a certain point of view; thanks for that one Obi Wan! 😅) and scales disproportionately far from the “normal” GT car roster. And I personally don’t use them almost unless it’s required. But pivoting back to my point, calling them passion less, soul less, waste of time etc is a bit hard on the people who made them. Maybe Z brand’s Corporate HQ told some to follow x or y theme for marketing and whatever but not all VGT cars are “wipeout models”. Check the BMW, the VW Beetle, the Toyota VGT cars; more extreme versions of already existing models and design language.

It’s like my case. Every one is on the AI hate bandwagon. I’m a hobbyist photographer who does Photoshop manipulation. I shot a picture of a woman to create a futuristic angel with metal wings on Photoshop. If I use an AI model to make the same edits as I visualize them, does that make the final image passionless just because it was automated and not painstakingly executed layer by layer in Photoshop?

Just my opinion of course, not going x way or y way! 😊
 
🎯
You perfectly put in words something that it should be obvious but it seems it is not given the criticism each VGT brings to this forums.

Besides that, I never undestood the haters on this topic.
Is like entering a restaurant shouting to the cheff "stop doing bittersweet recipes, no ones like them"

I can understand if you dont like VGTs, just dont drive them and let other people enjoy.
That would work if all the Gr1 races weren't infected with VGTs...

Or the weekly challenges that occasionally require their use.
 
🎯
You perfectly put in words something that it should be obvious but it seems it is not given the criticism each VGT brings to this forums.

Besides that, I never undestood the haters on this topic.
Is like entering a restaurant shouting to the cheff "stop doing bittersweet recipes, no ones like them"

I can understand if you dont like VGTs, just dont drive them and let other people enjoy.
Exactly. The irony is that while some shout at the 'chef,' the manufacturers are in the kitchen collecting every bit of data.

Unlike a physical concept car sitting on a carpet at a Motor Show, a VGT is 'alive.' When millions of players push these cars to the limit in Time Trials, Polyphony Digital gathers a goldmine of telemetry that no wind tunnel could provide at this scale.

For a CEO, it’s a no-brainer: you get real-time R&D, brand positioning for the next generation, and a global focus group—all for a fraction of the price of a stand in Geneva or Tokyo. The 'haters' are looking at a digital toy; the industry is looking at its future blueprint.
 
(earlier) : players push these digital machines to their absolute limits. Through thousands of time trials and millions of kilometers driven, every aerodynamic flaw or handling quirk is exposed

[...]

manufacturers are in the kitchen collecting every bit of data.

Unlike a physical concept car sitting on a carpet at a Motor Show, a VGT is 'alive.' When millions of players push these cars to the limit in Time Trials, Polyphony Digital gathers a goldmine of telemetry that no wind tunnel could provide at this scale.
Read something similar earlier, oh ! it was you already, well... I added a bit of your previous post in my quote.

I don't believe at all that GT7 allows manufacturers to collect meaningful telemetry or any infos a wind tunnel could.

At best they will get stats about the number of players who bought their VGT, the distance driven, number of liveries created and so on. More like social stats, not useless, but nothing in the realm of telemetry, aerodynamic flaw and what not.

For me it is just another platform to broaden their brand knowledge (and that's useful), but no engineer is waiting for GT7's telemetry data to refine the prototype or anything like that. GT7 is not a CFD software nor a tool built to give this type of feedback (same thing for FEA or MBD).
 
I’m curious what the general feeling is here. Do you actively enjoy VGT cars, or are they mostly something you use when the game requires it?
I generally have a distaste for VGT; I view them as advertisements in a game I already paid full price for and manufacturers peacocking around like children. Doesn't help that most of them handle like poo, either. But I also have to admit I've wrung some use out of VGT cars.

The most obvious standouts are the Tomahawk S and X, both instrumental in different stages of the game for AFK grinding. It super helps that Dodge at least has the courtesy of letting us players adjust the gear ratios! :lol: Similarly, the Bulgari VGT is capable of winning all four of the grind races in the game. The LM55 Gr. 1 is, IMO, the single best handling car in the game, full stop, even if its engine note is really grating. The Suzuki VGT Gr. 3 not only allows Suzuki to participate in Manufacturer events, but also gives a racing engine transplant into so many cars! The blue paint on my RX-8 comes from the Honda Sports VGT, and if not for the Lexus VGT, we might not have the super fun colourshift paints to play with. Heck, I've made my Suzuki Carry into a mirror using the Italdesign VGT's Pure paint!



gran-turismo%C2%AE-7_20250816040135-webp.1472690


With regards to the Xiaomi VGT though, I really don't see it becoming useful or memorable in any way with how limited EVs and VGTs tend to be in this game, though I of course would be happy to be proven wrong.
 
Back