XLink... the GT4 online solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silvia95
  • 66 comments
  • 4,290 views
Messages
111
I just read this article from ign.com and they talked about this site (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=home) where you can play non-online games online. It is a program that allows link compatible games to go online. Its kind of like xbconnect (http://www.xbconnect.com/) for anyone who knows that and loves Halo, you should know that. The differene between xlink and xbconnect is that this works on multiple systems. They say that this program will be compatilbe with gt4 as well. I want to get it now but I cant download it till saturday. After getting xbconnet I always wondered if they had something like this for ps2. I wonder if GT3 works on it... it fits the criteria. Cant wait till Saturday!!! :D So what do you guys think?
 
PS... I pretty sure this has been said but there will be an official online version of GT4 but the date for that hasn't been set yet. My question is will you guys wait for the "finish" version or will you get both or just the non-online version. I personally will get both, and sell the non-online version if necessary. Oh by the way... PLEASE DON'T GET TOO MUCH OFF THE SUBJECT AT HAND. 👍
 
I have Xlink, but I haven´t used it yet. But you can´t play GT3 with it, you can only play games that support LAN Mode like Socom.

I plan on using Xlink to play GT4 online until the official online version comes out, if it comes out at all.

I just hope it doesn´t lag so much, that will depend of the host bandwith. I should try it with Socom2 sometime soon, just to know if it works good.
 
i have tested the software with socom2 & it works great

:D

i would say it is on par with the sony servers so gt4 should run well , i guess we will just have to wait & see .

its all really depending wether gt4 has lan play or not

fingers crossed guyz

:D

EDIT: btw i have 1.5 mb ntl uk cable
 
This was mentioned in the very first "OMFG there's no online mode in the TGS thread" I was one of the first people to start mentioning this since GT4 will support a LAN party. Some people dissmissed the Xlink method alltogether, where as otheres were tottaly ignorant to what it was so they kept complaining about not having any ability to go online in GT4 when it comes out in December.

IF the reason for delaying GT4's online mode until sometime in 2005 is true, then playing it online via Xlink will have no lag issues since your not on Sony's gaming network thats "apparently" not up to standards to properly play GT4.
 
if you really want to play with people than you can do it, no biggie. I would just wait for the real online version if I wanted to play online.
 
I'd just like to play my buddies on a weeknight. Or on a weekend without having to feed them!

b

no offence ment, Sal
 
I know what you mean, "Cuda Dude.

This game is going to cost me a fortune in beer and, ahem, mar-I mean- herbs.
 
I've actually been in discussion with the guys from Xlink; GTP will be teaming up with them and together I think we could have a chance of creating a online racing atmosphere similar to everything the feature could have included in the game. :)
 
Jordan
I've actually been in discussion with the guys from Xlink; GTP will be teaming up with them and together I think we could have a chance of creating a online racing atmosphere similar to everything the feature could have included in the game. :)


:dopey: 👍

Your so lucky, you get to discuss stuff with big companies. JGTC, Xlink, and millions of other ones.
 
why would GT4 have LAN play anyway? or do you guys mean the i-Link mode?
 
Let me holla' at you, Silvia player (Let me tell you something, Silvia). You see, I'm going to go a different route here. I think Gran Turismo is meant to be PLAYED. While my standpoint is more on single play, I think that if this "XLink" thing can be compatible with GT4, then I think you all will have an alternative to online play. For the sake of multiplayer junkies, I hope this deal works. Why so? It's because the enthusiasm of GT fans who want to play GT4 online. And let me tell you, it's a big audience. Some games have been made so that multiplay is pretty much a necessity for a very fun game. I don't say this often but, "why play alone?" If you want online play, I'm hoping your best bet is with this XLink. And if it doesn't, you can always wait for the online-beyond-LAN version next year.

I know you have to dig me on this one. Do you?
 
Cobra S
why would GT4 have LAN play anyway? or do you guys mean the i-Link mode?
GT4 uses the Network adapter, I-link is a dead system that Sony doesnt use anymore. Old PS2's have an I-link port and newer ones don't. So LAN through the NA is the only way for PD to go.

LAN and I-link are similar, they both server the same purpose. You can play 6 way in the same room with the PS2's hooked up. The main difference comes with the LAN ;) Network adapter can run on the internet, I-link cant "its been tested time and time again it just wont work online"
 
Why do people often neglect the fact that online LAN parties can still be had? Even I've said time and time again "online play beyond LAN." There's a big difference between "online play beyond LAN" and "online play in general." Aren't we forgetting that? You can still have online fun, and if this XLink deal marks the spot, frowns will turn to smiles. And if you want GT4 online play beyond LAN and want to consider the XLink, you might as well go for it and at least be proud to have it. If not, the next choice is to ask if you want GT4 for not. And if you don't want GT4 anymore... you need psychological help if you've supported GT4 all this time to turn the other cheek.
 
JohnBM01
Why do people often neglect the fact that online LAN parties can still be had?
Simply put most people have no clue what tunneling software is or its possibilites to take an offline game online if it has a LAN party mode that runs through the network adapter. Even some people who know about it but their blissful ignorance still refuses it because if its not in the actual game disk then its not worth having "which IMO is entirely stupid stance to take, since they'll get to play onine via Xlink services rather than through the normal online mode"
 
The reason why it won't work with i.Link is that this is firewire and GT4 is using it's guaranteed timing abilities. This is super fast, stable and reliable, and no tunneling software can provide anything up to par yet. Maybe some students in a 100Mb/s dorm might be able to get it to work though. ;)
 
DevilGTx
I know what you mean, "Cuda Dude.

This game is going to cost me a fortune in beer and, ahem, mar-I mean- herbs.
That oregano is killer on the pocket book.
 
3rdgenracerX
GT4 uses the Network adapter, I-link is a dead system that Sony doesnt use anymore. Old PS2's have an I-link port and newer ones don't. So LAN through the NA is the only way for PD to go.

LAN and I-link are similar, they both server the same purpose. You can play 6 way in the same room with the PS2's hooked up. The main difference comes with the LAN ;) Network adapter can run on the internet, I-link cant "its been tested time and time again it just wont work online"

sorry, not sure if i understand you correctly... what you're saying is the i-Link mode from GT3 will basically be replaced by a LAN mode in GT4? how will it work? will each ps2(3 ps2's for a total of 6 players) need to be hooked up to the router? so you'd need 3 ps2's, 3 television sets, and 3 ethernet wires(or 3 wireless cards)? :dunce:
 
Cobra S
sorry, not sure if i understand you correctly... what you're saying is the i-Link mode from GT3 will basically be replaced by a LAN mode in GT4? how will it work? will each ps2(3 ps2's for a total of 6 players) need to be hooked up to the router? so you'd need 3 ps2's, 3 television sets, and 3 ethernet wires(or 3 wireless cards)? :dunce:

bump, curiousity is getting the best of me.
 
Cobra S
bump, curiousity is getting the best of me.


Six consoles, six copies of GT4, six TV's and a hub that connects them all together with network cabling. :)
 
tiptopcream
Six consoles, six copies of GT4, six TV's and a hub that connects them all together with network cabling. :)

goodness, thats practically worthless :yuck:.
 
well its just like LANing with computers, so it wont be toooo harsh. the problem would be finding the people to LAN with.
 
im sure people that wanted to do 6 player races could rustle that lot up, us PC lan gamers have to do it :) LCD's and Shuttle PC's are a godsend! a 15" lcd and one of those newfangeld tiny ps2's would fit in a backpack no problems.. the DFP might be slightly harder to lug about tho :crazy:
 
hi guys.
As you might know i'm a moderator on the xlink service. As it stands were pretty certain that GT4 should run fine on xlink. Every PS2 lan game weve ever tested runs fine.
Even timesplitters2 runs without any lag with two players on oposite sides of the atlantic. And ts2 wasnt even disigned with online in mind.
Offcourse nothing is ever 100% certain so i dont want to get peoples hopes too much.

Ive also been asigned to set up the content for PGT, witch we will keep under wraps :) untill weve tested the japanese version of the game, witch, as far as i know, will come out a few weeks before the US/EU version.

If all goes as planed it should be great
 
if this works out.. and i dont see why it wont... you people over at xlink will be a godsend, just signed up as a matter of fact, best get my username sorted before the mad rush over there i can see happening :dopey:
 
I think I'll wait until next year for the next GT game. I got $150, have $100 left. 👍
 
I have racked up allot of hours on GT3 6 player Ilink and can vouch a LAN game is worth the effort. Though experienced Ilink players know it could be so much more if PD developed the following features.

If GT4 includes most or all of these features I can tell you it will be one of the best car multiplayer experiences available. Otherwise many people including myself will be seriously disappointed being so close yet so far. I will keep my fingers crossed.

1. Choose cars from your own garage.
2. Tune/setup cars.
3. Qualifying.
3. Zero pit blocking by computer.
4. Control race conditions including #laps, track, tire wear, fuel & car classification.

Has any one heard anything regarding GT4 LAN features?
 
Back