XLink... the GT4 online solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silvia95
  • 66 comments
  • 4,290 views
Let me tell you something. Arwin brought up the old-school way of multiplayer gaming in Post #53 (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1278024&postcount=53). It's also proof that at least someone has the best possible idea of improvising multiplay with a Local Area Network. That's why when I talk about online play, I usually talk about no "online play beyond LAN." I underlined this because we are kind of forgetting that we have online play, even if with LAN connections. That's still online play, folks. Don't be afraid to take things out in a short radius, folks. For example, I have a copy of a PC Gamer magazine from back in 1997. One racing game featured in the magazine in an ad is "Moto Racer." MR had the capability of multiplay via a Local Area Network. I believe it had network play as well. Oh, here's the caption on that:

(FROM: "PC GAMER" MAGAZINE; June 1997)

"Race head-to-head with a modem or against up to 7 others with a Local Area Network."

GTPlanet, this is 1997. This is 1997 with PCs. I think I can recall even the long-dead Sega Genesis having some sort of software or hardware to play people online back around 1993 or 1995. And if we can do LAN then, why not now with GT4? My viewpoint? Take advantage of it. Multiplayer means "more than one player." Doesn't have to be just you vs. someone on the other side of the world, it can mean two-player, four-player for games like Bomberman or Street Fighter EX 3, and even wicked eight-player gaming for games like "(then) WWF Smackdown: Just Bring It." So my deal? Improvise. Make something of it. I think you have a good bunch of friends to game with, you're already on the right track to improvising with LAN play. So try to make something out of nothing. That's my advice.

But here's a small question I have. If X-Link becomes successful, will this help or diminish the number of GT4 racers wanting the "online beyond LAN" version? How so?
 
Race Idiot
(Apologies beforehand, just incase i've insulted some of GT's top OLR people)

Whoa, those people all look well dodgy. :D

From front to back, the dodgy people are:

Rudi Raser (GER), jadaman (NLD), Made in Holland (NLD), Hugo Boss (NLD), RoxaSupra4 (BE), Arwin (NLD)

jadaman is a relatively new guy around here (though by no means slow), but the rest is pretty well known in the OLR community I daresay. ;)

jadaman actually built a gameroom in his (now former) garage that I'm going to test out tonight. He's doing weekly i.Links there now and lives only 20-25 minutes away, so I may just have found a source for a weekly fix of multiplayer gt3 (and soon gt4 no doubt). 8-)

@John: both. It will help some people get wise in how good online gaming is, and those that are playing will want the full blown thing that PD has with online scoreboards, rankings and so on. At the same time, people will get their online fix, and since we're already so well organised competition wise, we'll see some smooth 'clandestine' competitions and leagues rising up that are bound to make the wait for the 'official' online a whole lot easier.
 
But here's a small question I have. If X-Link becomes successful, will this help or diminish the number of GT4 racers wanting the "online beyond LAN" version? How so?

i personally will be playing xlink it will sort my online fix for gt for now , then when the official gt4 online comes i will buy it , then i will probably be playing both versions .
 
Jim X
*snip*
Let's make a list of everything you people will need to buy in order to use the tunneling software to play online, i.e. Xlink.
I think that about covers it. :)

question, can you wirelessly connect the ps2 instead? my pc is kind of far away from the ps2, hardwiring it would be a hassle. maybe like a wireless usb adapter or something?
 
Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter

wga54g.jpg



US Robotics USR015430 Wireless Gaming Adapter & Ethernet Bridge

p-net-5430-unkg.jpg



:dopey:
 
carefull with that wireless stuff guys, it isnt 100% supported. Check the link i pasted earlier
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=quickstart
as well as the faq and the forums to see what works before you buy anything.
As a matter of fact, you might want to wait to buy networking gear untill weve actually tested the japanese version of the game :)

If youve already got your networksetup you mightaswell try and see if it works tho
 
Cobra S
question, can you wirelessly connect the ps2 instead? my pc is kind of far away from the ps2, hardwiring it would be a hassle. maybe like a wireless usb adapter or something?


People have had success with this method, but it lends itself to slower gameplay/lag because of it not being hardwired. I have heard in the Socom 2 forums that people have used them with great success, and others have major lag issues. So sure, it *could* work.



EDIT: Actually if your PS2 is far away from your PC then you will have a hell of a time using the Xlink type software. It will more than likely require you to go to PS2 then select LAN play and course etc., going back to computer to check with other people what track you are doing, tell the host that you are ready, host then hosts game so you go back to PS2 to join the hosted game, etc. You get the picture, much bigger hassle than the REAL ONLINE!! And no voice chat. Bastards!! Sony and their money scamming, not anyone in here, of course.
 
Back