Yamauchi Responds to GT5 Legal Dispute

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gezim
  • 68 comments
  • 7,772 views
Messages
161
Messages
GTerholli
My apologies if it's already been reported. Just lock. 👍

KY's Twitter

Source

The Tuscan city of Siena recently threatened to block and consequently delay the release of Gran Turismo 5 until the flags and the track used in the title, Piazza del Campo, were completely removed from Polyphony DigitalÂ’s PlayStation 3 exclusive racer. The seriesÂ’ creator has now given an official response to the claims.

Legendary developer Kazunori Yamauchi had this to say on Twitter over the matter:

“We can remove them in an instant.”

However, itÂ’s not something Yamauchi would prefer doing:

“Erasing them is somewhat regrettable.”

The addition of SienaÂ’s Piazza del Campo as a track in Gran Turismo 5 recently angered an Italian group touting the flags could only be recreated with permission. The carefully-detailed course featured in the racer contains colored flags on the surrounding buildings signifying the popular festival entitled Palio di Siena, which the group organizes. Gran Turismo 5 is currently racing towards a November 2nd, 2010 release.
 
He should have said: "Up your Delours"...

Oh wait a minute, that is the wrong country and the wrong time! :dunce:
 
Are they removing the track itself, or just the flags?

I understand the flags, but they can't make PD remove the track, unless the name violates copyright or ownership rights. In which case, they simply change the name of the track đź’ˇ
 
Just the flags. "them" would not refer to a track, plus it is only the flag design that is the problem
 
It a shame when PD goes to all the effort of modelling a place accurately and then having to remove aspects of it. I wonder if they are just going to change the flags colours or remove them completely... thank god the game hasnt gone gold yet otherwise this would have probably blown into a bigger issue (although a patch could probably fix it).

As I said before PD have managed to model entire areas such as Hong Kong's track without permission from all of those brands or logos featured on it so its suprising that after all these years someone has an issue.

Robin.
 
Who cares. It's their loss for not wanting their flags in a racing game that would potentially bring even more interest towards their group.

I know if some game modeled a flag of a group I ran, I'd feel pretty honored that someone cared enough to do so.
 
just pay them since you can spend 60 million for this. What is another 3 million, that is just specs of sand
 
Omg those are our flags give us money
 
Wonder how much played into their decision of threatening legal action, was their first images where of go-karts going round the track, would if had been different was it Ferrari's instead.
 
Nice one Kaz. Forget about those greedy fools and save the money for development. Honestly, if I'm driving on that track, I'm not going to pay that much attention to look at the designs of the flags, so no big deal at all. :)
 
Who cares. It's their loss for not wanting their flags in a racing game that would potentially bring even more interest towards their group.

I know if some game modeled a flag of a group I ran, I'd feel pretty honored that someone cared enough to do so.

Not sure if they want more interest as they are having enough trouble keeping it legal as it is. The traditional horse race they run is quite brutal and as far as I am aware is uder threat of being banned.
 
Jay
Not sure if they want more interest as they are having enough trouble keeping it legal as it is. The traditional horse race they run is quite brutal and as far as I am aware is uder threat of being banned.

You mean like this??? :dopey:

 
just pay them since you can spend 60 million for this. What is another 3 million, that is just specs of sand

Yeah, no. You dont only make money by making money, you also make money by saving money.
 
Replace the flags with some PD generics and we can all be on our merry way.
 
“We can remove them in an instant.”
Good news. I think he means less than a year!

Maybe.
 
"We can remove the flags anytime we want to" Kaz
 
Drifting with horses hmmm ...
 
GTP Recognized Event:
Horses vs 1886 cars

Track: Piazza del Campo
Laps: 6

:lol:
 
GTP Recognized Event:
Horses vs 1886 cars

Track: Piazza del Campo
Laps: 6

:lol:

The Contrade Union complained that they would never allow the contrade flags to be used when it has nothing to do with the horse races. So if Kaz would include horses in the game to race with, that should make them shut up :D
 
HORSES IN GT5 👍

The only horses kaz will be seeing will be the dead head of the one he'll wake up next to if these people don't get their own way!
 
MSH
The Contrade Union complained that they would never allow the contrade flags to be used when it has nothing to do with the horse races. So if Kaz would include horses in the game to race with, that should make them shut up :D

The question is, will the Horses be Premium?
2457102721_b113ac6ab7.jpg
 
The question is, will the Horses be Premium?
2457102721_b113ac6ab7.jpg

No, they don't have internal cockpits. Plus, that horse is clearly a standard. Just look at those horrible low res textures and angular polygons:sly:
 
:D Kaz dishing out the P-A-I-N :P.
 
So the Italians are angry because Polyphony Digital didn't ask for permission to re-create the flags?!?

So why doesn't Kaz just ask for permission? Wouldn't that solve everything? :dunce:
 
Back