Yegor's Sim-Rig (YSR): From Start to Finish

• Thread starter yegor
  • 67 comments
Wow Yegor.
Awesome rig. I read your whole intro. I have been planning the build of my first rig for almost a month now. l watched countless videos of rig reviews to form my own ideas of what is good, what is bad and what I want. Then I found your thread last night and it is exactly what I want. It is the picture of what I have been imagining the past few weeks, only better!!! MUCH better.Your craftsmanship is exceptional!!

A few years back I was the main CAD/CAM guy for an engineering company here in South Africa that manufactures the composite structures for Recaro Aircraft Seating, among others. Nowadays I own a shopfitting company with my brother. We do everything from ideas through design to finished product. I always say I like what I do, but sometimes wish I could have done it for a hobby only, without commercial pressure etc. Wow man, you set the bar very high. What makes it even more special is the handcrafted detail and fabrication. No fancy machines.
I must admit, I will probably do the design in Pro Engineer first and then have the difficult pieces machined at a friends shop.

I drive a mk V GTI and its like a child to me and for the last 2 weeks while driving I have been thinking how I can build a rig that closely resembles the feeling and pleasure of driving my own car. The part which I can relate to the most is how your brain seems to work at its most optimum level of creativity as you lie in bed waiting to fall asleep. I usually get up and go write it down, otherwise it will keep me up for hours.

It is inspiring and am sure your rig will keep me up many nights :)
Great work man.

Wow Yegor.
Awesome rig. I read your whole intro. I have been planning the build of my first rig for almost a month now. l watched countless videos of rig reviews to form my own ideas of what is good, what is bad and what I want. Then I found your thread last night and it is exactly what I want. It is the picture of what I have been imagining the past few weeks, only better!!! MUCH better.Your craftsmanship is exceptional!!

A few years back I was the main CAD/CAM guy for an engineering company here in South Africa that manufactures the composite structures for Recaro Aircraft Seating, among others. Nowadays I own a shopfitting company with my brother. We do everything from ideas through design to finished product. I always say I like what I do, but sometimes wish I could have done it for a hobby only, without commercial pressure etc. Wow man, you set the bar very high. What makes it even more special is the handcrafted detail and fabrication. No fancy machines.
I must admit, I will probably do the design in Pro Engineer first and then have the difficult pieces machined at a friends shop.

I drive a mk V GTI and its like a child to me and for the last 2 weeks while driving I have been thinking how I can build a rig that closely resembles the feeling and pleasure of driving my own car. The part which I can relate to the most is how your brain seems to work at its most optimum level of creativity as you lie in bed waiting to fall asleep. I usually get up and go write it down, otherwise it will keep me up for hours.

It is inspiring and am sure your rig will keep me up many nights :)
Great work man.
Henry, sorry for the late response body: I'm in vacation, rarely going online. Thank you for the generous words my friend, glad you liked it. Let me know if you need any details of certain build areas.

I have a close friend in Joburg and planing on visiting him sometimes next year, so if I knock on your door, please don't be surprised :)

Oh, also... the MK7 R is in your backdoor and you still keep the MK5 GTI? :) I can't wait when it arrives next year here to the states. You guys are lucky to get it right after the Euro launch.

Last edited:
No worries Yegor, I don't even answer my phone on holiday :). Hope you enjoy it!
I really like your rig and have showed your pictures to my brother and an old colleague. We all agreed you have too much talent and definitely too much free time. :lol:

I have started a thread on my own rig design and would appreciate your inputs, when you have time. It will not be in the same class as yours, not even close, but still your thoughts would be appreciated.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/asking-for-your-input-my-first-rig.315983/

I am based in Cape Town (1500km from Joburg), so if you ever come this way you are more than welcome!

I know... For me it is a love story with the GTI MK5. I love the shape and after recently upgrading the software and a few minor things it feels like a different animal putting out 262 BHP. Just 14 BHP shy of the MK7 R's advertised engine output. And for the price of a MK7 R (>ZAR 500K) I would be silly not to plough back into my business ventures first. If money was no object, sure I would have had one in every colour in my garage. :cheers:

I don't know if you knew this, we have a huge VW assembly plant in SA, with a dedicated motorsport division.
See links below if it interests you.

http://www.vw.co.za/en/volkswagen_world/racing.html
http://www.vw.co.za/en/volkswagen_groupsouthafrica/about.html

Awesome rig, and the finishing looks perfect.
Also great eye for detail. 👍👍👍

Back