Yes, I bought an 360 to play forza 3

• Thread starter BenzAMG
  • 58 comments
evolutionNL
Had much fun with the Ps3 and gt5p, and looking forward to GT5. But......

Today I went out and bought an Xbox 360 for forza 3!
I know, I know Gt5 will probably be king but I also wanted to enjoy "the Forza experience".

I just want to know how Forza feels and plays compared to Gt5p and GT5.
So now I will have the best of both worlds!

Anyone else planning on buying xbox+forza, when already owning a PS3?

BTW I have a huge problem now, because i own a G25(and love it!).
So maybe buy a cheap wheel for the Xbox. The Fanatec wheel is very expensive and i'm not willing to give up my G25 for a new wheel.
Playing with an controller is not an option for me. I have a nice home build racing rig, and I want the full experience! What would you do?

Buy the cheap wheel + easy platform for installation (I'm talking about that one which has a platform for pedals and strip bar and platform for wheel.

Well that should be the Logitech driving force FX or the Microsoft wheel.
Maybe it's best to just buy a Fanatec wheel that's compatible for both.
I could sell the G25.....

So far ive been playing forza 2 a little with the controller, and i must say it's very good!
The physics feel great with the controller, better than gt5p with controller. Dunno how it feels with a wheel tough.

Maybe another brand(or Logitech) comes out with a good and reasonably priced xbox360 wheel???

If it costs similar price or even slightly more to sell your G25 and buy the Fanatec wheel as it does to keep your G25 and buy the crappy MS wheel, I'd just go for the Fanatec.

Having 2 wheels is annoying.

But yeah, I'm only going to buy 1 of either PS3 or xbox 360. I can afford both, but it seems like a waste of money to get both for only a couple of extra games... as it is I barely have time to play my PC let alone 2 different consoles.

The microsoft wheel is really hard to use after having the g25. You will be very disappointed in it. I have tried to go back and use mine a few times after getting the g25, and I can't play more then 5 minutes before putting back in the closet.

okay, Fanatec will be the only way then. To bad the wheel is badly available, limited in production, and very expensive. Hope that something else comes along.

okay, Fanatec will be the only way then. To bad the wheel is badly available, limited in production, and very expensive. Hope that something else comes along.

Why not buy the Fanatec Pure edition wheel as you can use your G25 pedal set with it.
Thats what i have done.
The Pure edition costs 199.95 euros.

That's a lot of money for only the wheel. My g25 was that price.
So that means I will pay €400 for one wheel set. That's a little to much for me...

I just put my G25 on a sale. Maybe I can get €150 for it. But I don't know if the Fanatec would be available, because it's limited in production.

Last edited:
That's a lot of money for only the wheel. My g25 was that price.
So that means I will pay €400 for one wheel set. That's a little to much for me...

I just put my G25 on a sale. Maybe I can get €150 for it. But I don't know if the Fanatec would be available, because it's limited in production.

The Fanatec wheels are not cheap.
But they are the only company making a wheel that works with with all three systems.
If i want to play Forza3 and GT5 and then some PC racing games i do not want to have to change wheels over.
The other fact to consider is that Fanatec is the only company to make a good wheel for the 360.

I know, I know Gt5 will probably be king but I also wanted to enjoy "the Forza experience".

So maybe buy a cheap wheel for the Xbox. The Fanatec wheel is very expensive and i'm not willing to give up my G25 for a new wheel.
Playing with an controller is not an option for me. I have a nice home build racing rig, and I want the full experience! What would you do?

hmm are you one of che´s fake accounts? :D

Here's the problem and it looks like you've got it too, a while ago I made the decision to upgrade to PS3 mainly for GT5 although I had other games in mind too, I already had a rig with G25. I have had my PS3 for two years now and happy with the games I have, since all the games I would want are already coming for the PS3. The only game I want (that isn't available for both consoles) coming for the 360 is forza 3.

So if I where to get forza I would need to buy an XBox 360 and not the base model either, to get all the cars in forza I require a decent model apparently. Ok so I am driving enthusiast so I need a wheel, but the Microsoft wheel is awful so if I want a decent experience I need to buy an expensive but cool Fanatec wheel great, but I like my G25 and my vision racer is custom built for it. I am sure with a bit of botching I could get a slick Fanatec setup but I am already looking at hundreds of pounds for one game.

It's not over though, if I am spending so much on one game I want all the content, so I have to buy the more expensive version of the game assuming I don't need to pay extra for DLC. I need to pay all the other silly start up cost too like a HDMI so I get full use of HD. One last kick in the balls is if I want to play online to get the full experience I have to pay 40 pound per year for the base version of Xbox live.

So essentially to do what your doing in my situation (and yours sounds very similar) I have to pay something like 500 quid for one game. :eek:

Please, please tell me you knew all this in advance and haven't done an impulse purchase and are now forking out hundreds for one game. It sounds like you didn't know about the wheel support issue which is very worrying.

So no I won't be following you in buying and Xbox for forza, not matter how good or not the game is. To me it doesn't even any economic sense.

Done exactly the same thing.

I bought my PS3 specifically for GT5, but once I knew Forza would be released before GT5 I took the plunge. Picked up Forza 2 on the cheap and I have been enjoying that while I wait, and I have just ordered Race Pro.

One thing I haven't done is pick up the MS Wireless Wheel, and I don't think I will. Like you, I have a G25 and I don't want to own a 'lesser' wheel. I am considering buying the Fanatec Porsche Turbo S Wheel Clubsport Edition and then selling the G25, but its a pricey option. I know I could buy the Pure Edition and use the G25 pedals for a cheaper option, but then I have 2 wheels/1 pedalset, which doesn't make sense.

I've been thinking about picking up a 360 for Forza, but I don't know enough about them to know which would be the best for me to get.

Here's the problem and it looks like you've got it too, a while ago I made the decision to upgrade to PS3 mainly for GT5 although I had other games in mind too, I already had a rig with G25. I have had my PS3 for two years now and happy with the games I have, since all the games I would want are already coming for the PS3. The only game I want (that isn't available for both consoles) coming for the 360 is forza 3.

So if I where to get forza I would need to buy an XBox 360 and not the base model either, to get all the cars in forza I require a decent model apparently. Ok so I am driving enthusiast so I need a wheel, but the Microsoft wheel is awful so if I want a decent experience I need to buy an expensive but cool Fanatec wheel great, but I like my G25 and my vision racer is custom built for it. I am sure with a bit of botching I could get a slick Fanatec setup but I am already looking at hundreds of pounds for one game.

It's not over though, if I am spending so much on one game I want all the content, so I have to buy the more expensive version of the game assuming I don't need to pay extra for DLC. I need to pay all the other silly start up cost too like a HDMI so I get full use of HD. One last kick in the balls is if I want to play online to get the full experience I have to pay 40 pound per year for the base version of Xbox live.

So essentially to do what your doing in my situation (and yours sounds very similar) I have to pay something like 500 quid for one game. :eek:

Please, please tell me you knew all this in advance and haven't done an impulse purchase and are now forking out hundreds for one game. It sounds like you didn't know about the wheel support issue which is very worrying.

So no I won't be following you in buying and Xbox for forza, not matter how good or not the game is. To me it doesn't even any economic sense.

I'm in a similar situation to this too, except I currently only own a PC, not a PS3 or Xbox 360. So for me, its a toss up between a 360 for Forza or a PS3 for GT5.

The PS3 will cost $700AUD for the console + $100ish for the game = $800 (unless they come in a bundle). The Xbox 360 is only $450 for the console + $100 for the game = $550... but then I'll have no wheel because my G25 wont work. So unless I amazingly see a fanatec wheel for sale for ~$200-300 Australian, I wont be getting the 360 (noting that I paid about $350 for my G25, it doesn't seem likely).

I've been thinking about picking up a 360 for Forza, but I don't know enough about them to know which would be the best for me to get.

Either way you will have fun. But if you dont have a 360 to play Forza is your lost.

I did the same thing as well 3 days ago, went and bought it so I can have some forza time until gt5 hits in december! :P (I wish there was a way to hack the g25 to work on the 360, that's be helpful :()

While we're all at it, lets share our gamertags so we can get together on release day! mine's alba7 as seen on the left side of this post :P

I'm only in need of one console at the moment, and the one that has, I think, a couple of more benefits than the PS3 is the 360. I'm not saying one or the other is better, because they're both as good as each other which is amazing, but in this case the 360 is my personal choice of the only one console I need.

So, I'm looking for a wheel to get before Forza 3 and all the other interesting racing games come out (I'm pre-ordering, the ones that are multiplatform I'll have to swap from PS3 to 360. By the way I pre-order on Play.com.) I've done a quick search on Play.com, no Fantec wheels at all one there, hopefully I can get one somewhere else.

Anway, my gamertag is PEPSITHERACER, haven't been on there for a long time by the way.

Why not buy the Fanatec Pure edition wheel as you can use your G25 pedal set with it.
Thats what i have done.
The Pure edition costs 199.95 euros.

Hi geordie

How's the Fanatec Pure Edition going?

Have you had any problems with the G25 pedal adapter? I read somewhere about the brake pedal sticking on.

I take it you don't have the dongle to play GT5p and compare performance and test for any added lag.

On topic

Yes I'm in the same boat, I own a PS3 and G25 and also have the PC sims.

I can afford the 360 and a copy of Forza 3 but can't contemplate playing with the 360 joypad like 99.9% of the Forza 2 players.

I could buy the Pure but I need a dongle and shifter for a one wheel solution which comes to only £50 less than the complete option which is 3x more expensive than a complete G25. Going the Pure route and swapping the wheels around and unplugging stuff to play each game is messy and inconvenient. I just want my G25 to plug into the 360.

I'm struggling to spend £300 on a wheel just to play Forza 3 properly. I'll probably buy a Fanatec and see how it is and if it doesn't work out then put it on ebay and get most of my money back. I just can't see the Fanatec 911 S replacing my G25 for PS3 and PC gaming through dongles and pedal adapters.

I got a barely used 360 (12gb launch but with a sweet custom paint job) from my friend with 12 games (of which I sold 9 to Gamestop and got $50 :( which I used to pre ordered FM3), 2 controllers and the 360 wheel all for $200

You nailed it. I love the sim racing worlds. I want every aspect of it.

I would sell your G25 and get the Fanatec Porsche Turbo S Racing Wheel. You can use that with the PS3, 360 and PC. I am selling my MS Wheel on eBay and buying that wheel.

Well that should be the Logitech driving force FX

Logitech DriveFX is complete garbage. I eBayed that POs.

Done exactly the same thing.

I bought my PS3 specifically for GT5, but once I knew Forza would be released before GT5 I took the plunge. Picked up Forza 2 on the cheap and I have been enjoying that while I wait, and I have just ordered Race Pro.

Let me know what you think of Race Pro. I am having troubles getting into the career. That game had so much potential...but it's just pissing me off.

I can afford the 360 and a copy of Forza 3 but can't contemplate playing with the 360 joypad like 99.9% of the Forza 2 players.

I don't know the last time I raced online in Forza 2 with players that were using a controller. Everyone I talk to during the races are using the MS Wheel.

Those wanting to test the waters for Forza 3 could simply buy a used copy of Forza 3 when it's released, and pick up an Xbox Live Arcade console for $199. They could decide if Forza 3 floats their boat. If it does, then they could invest in a new wheel, picking up a used 20gb HDD on ebay for like $10 and get Xbox Live for $39 for the year. They could also sell their G25 on eBay to help pay for the Fanatec wheel.

If they decide the game is not for them, they could trade the game back in towards a PS3 title, and sell their Xbox Arcade.

(or they could just come to one our houses that has the game, a wheel and 360 and try it there free!)

Hi geordie

How's the Fanatec Pure Edition going?

Have you had any problems with the G25 pedal adapter? I read somewhere about the brake pedal sticking on.

I take it you don't have the dongle to play GT5p and compare performance and test for any added lag.

On topic

Yes I'm in the same boat, I own a PS3 and G25 and also have the PC sims.

I could buy the Pure but I need a dongle and shifter for a one wheel solution which comes to only £50 less than the complete option which is 3x more expensive than a complete G25. Going the Pure route and swapping the wheels around and unplugging stuff to play each game is messy and inconvenient. I just want my G25 to plug into the 360.

I'm struggling to spend £300 on a wheel just to play Forza 3 properly. I'll probably buy a Fanatec and see how it is and if it doesn't work out then put it on ebay and get most of my money back. I just can't see the Fanatec 911 S replacing my G25 for PS3 and PC gaming through dongles and pedal adapters.

I will not get the wheel until the end of september.
That is Fanatecs estimated delivery time.
I have ordered the dongle so that i can use the wheel with the PS3 and the PC as well.
I might not bother to order a shifter as i prefer using the paddles.
If you get the pure edition wheel and use the G25 pedal set you do not have to swap anything over.
When i get the wheel from Fanatec i will compare it against the G25 using the PS3 and prologue and i will post the results on the forum.

Those wanting to test the waters for Forza 3 could simply buy a used copy of Forza 3 when it's released, and pick up an Xbox Live Arcade console for $199. They could decide if Forza 3 floats their boat. If it does, then they could invest in a new wheel, picking up a used 20gb HDD on ebay for like $10 and get Xbox Live for $39 for the year. They could also sell their G25 on eBay to help pay for the Fanatec wheel.

If they decide the game is not for them, they could trade the game back in towards a PS3 title, and sell their Xbox Arcade.

Wait, what?

To test the water I should buy an Xbox console and the game?

and then sell it back if I decide I don't to work out another 200 or so quid for the wheel?

Trade back rates are awful, that sounds like an easy way to loose money to me. :dunce:

I much prefer the idea of trying it on my mates console. :crazy:

Either way to enjoy the game the way it should be is going to cost me about half a grand unless I want to buy everything second hand (I can't see many second hand Fanatec's being available). So even if I really really enjoyed the game it still doesn't make sense. If my G25 did work on the 360 then I would be much more inclined to risk it.

I much prefer the idea of trying it on my mates console. :crazy:

Probably the best route. :)

But many could be in the same boat. I don't have a wheel that works for my PS3. So if you were new to a PS3, it would cost you $400 for a PS3, $60 for the game, and $300 for the G25. That is almost $800 to try that game out. I guess it just depends on which side of the fence you are coming from.

I am just selling my MS Wheel and getting the Fanatec to cover my bases. I want experience GT5 with a wheel instead of a controller (which I used with GT5p right now) :indiff:

Probably the best route. :)

But many could be in the same boat. I don't have a wheel that works for my PS3. So if you were new to a PS3, it would cost you $400 for a PS3, $60 for the game, and $300 for the G25. That is almost $800 to try that game out. I guess it just depends on which side of the fence you are coming from.

I am just selling my MS Wheel and getting the Fanatec to cover my bases. I want experience GT5 with a wheel instead of a controller (which I used with GT5p right now) :indiff:

Oh I agree, it certainly does work both ways, but I was responding to the OP who is talking about people who already have a PS3 but not a 360, but they desperately want to try forza.

If your not bothered about driving with a wheel then its far less of an expensive venture, unfortunately I am.

Oh I agree, it certainly does work both ways, but I was responding to the OP who is talking about people who already have a PS3 but not a 360, but they desperately want to try forza.

If your not bothered about driving with a wheel then its far less of an expensive venture, unfortunately I am.

You know what they say...once you go wheel, you never go back! :sly:

I actually bought mine to play Forza 2 and Halo 3.

Both are amazing games. Thought it took me a while to get use to the controls for Forza.

Go find a copy of Platinum Hits version of Forza2 it has all the DLC stuff on a second disc ... I got so use to the way the controller layout is that now I have to program the PS3 controller to match FM2 when playing a driving game.

I didn't have much time to play Forza 2 lately.
I have played it for like 2 hours total with the controller, and I really like the game so far.

I'm thinking of buying a microsoft wireless racing wheel just for forza 2 and 3. That's probably the best Forza experience you can get without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

I like the game already with the controller, so the wheel will only be better.
The main complaint I read about the microsoft wheel is the soft FFB.
GT5P + g25 =good FFB but also very soft in my opinion, but also enjoyed that game.

I would really want your opinions on Forza 2 + microsoft wireless racing wheel, especially compared to Gt5p + Logitech DFP,DFGT and G25

The MS wheel is rubbish, that's why I didn't bother buying one ater having a go. I have a Logitech wheel for the PS3 and because of that I'm not buying a wheel for the 360. It wouldn't have been hard for MS to have allowed the 360 to use freeware or even to license Logitech to allow their exsting wheels to work in the 360. Even if they couldn't get thoes Logitech wheels on board due to licensing between logitech and Sony they could have let an avenue open via freeware for someone to have created a program to read the drvers and get it working.

The MS wheel is pretty shoddy, I'm satisfied with using the pad for Forza and having a wheel for GT. But that's just me.

MS charge fairly stiff loyalties, I imagine they sure wouldn't want user made drivers to bypass that. Plus as said many times they hardware required is different as the FFB is handled differently.

Back