Yes, I bought an 360 to play forza 3

• Thread starter BenzAMG
  • 58 comments
You know what they say...once you go wheel, you never go back! :sly:

I've enjoyed using wheels since GT3. My first wheel was a DFP and now I have a G25. But when it comes to Forza (which I play alot) I not mind using the controller, as the 360's controller is implemented very well. So having a wheel is not exactly a half-to thing.

I really love the MS Wheel, and I picked it up for $89. It was night and day better than the piece of garbage Logitech DriveFX I bought for my 360 awhile ago. I would recommend you pick one up if the Fanatec is out of your price range.

Then again, those Fanatec wheels will probably be sold out any second now.

Production lot

23.03.2009 249,95 SOLD OUT
22.04.2009 269,95 SOLD OUT
25.05.2009 289,95 SOLD OUT
22.06.2009 309,95 SOLD OUT

09.2009 329,95

available

I really love the MS Wheel, and I picked it up for $89. It was night and day better than the piece of garbage Logitech DriveFX I bought for my 360 awhile ago. I would recommend you pick one up if the Fanatec is out of your price range.

Production lot

09.2009 329,95

available

Ok thank you for your comment, but im curious about why you like it.
Is it because you haven't experienced a better wheel(and don't know how good it can be), or is it because you just think the wheel is pretty good compared to other high end wheels?

If it's 70% as good as the G25 I will be satisfied. I have played GT4 with the DFP, and if the microsoft wheel is on the same level as that, i would buy it.

Ok thank you for your comment, but im curious about why you like it.
Is it because you haven't experienced a better wheel(and don't know how good it can be), or is it because you just think the wheel is pretty good compared to other high end wheels?

If it's 70% as good as the G25 I will be satisfied. I have played GT4 with the DFP, and if the microsoft wheel is on the same level as that, i would buy it.

If you have used any of the logitech wheels with FF then you will be very disappointed in the M$ wheel. It works, but that's about it. There is a very large deadzone in the center of it, and the wheels life expectancy isn't very long. I could feel more and more play in my wheel week after week. The last time I plugged it in I used it for maybe 15 minutes before finally giving up on trying to control the cars in race pro. The center deadzone was just way to large to try and compensate for. But if your desperate for a wheel then the M$ wheel will work. I hear you can switch out the plastic bearings for metal ones and it makes a big difference, but modding isn't my thing, so I've never tried it.

Production lot

09.2009 329,95

available

None of the Fanatec wheels are sold out.
They are only sold out at the discount prices you got for ordering early.
I ordered the Pure edition wheel when it was sold out at the special prices and the only difference is that you pay the full price which was 10 euros more.

This is from Fanatecs website.
All wheels at a special pre-order price are sold out. From now this wheel is only available at the non-sale price of 199,95 Euro.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=94de6c6af04011f5c014b0e21748a3dc

Ms FFB wheel is junk compared to the better PC wheels yes but the Drive FX is a even worse to be fair. and the MS FFB wheel is not all bad. The pedals are better then the logitech driving Force Pro pedals for example. Particularly if you squash ball mod them.

I am just saying get the MS FFB wheel instead of the Drive FX if you can´t afford the Fanatec wheels :). You will be annoyed by a loose steering column. There is mods for that but I wouldn´t dare to shell out for modding on such a wheel. No idea how long the life span would be and as mentioned it still don´t match the better PC wheels.

But it´s a LOT better then the Drive FX. Only thing going for that is that it´s dirt cheap but you get what you pay for.

i had an xbox360 before my ps3 (bought it solely for gt5 and metal gear solid). Does anyone know if they are coming out with a 900* wheel compatible with the xbox 360 and will it have a functional clutch too? I'm soo pissed that the G25 (what i have now) doesn't work on the xbox 360. I would consider selling the G25 and getting the Fanatec wheel if it will be fully functional 900* with clutch for Forza 3 as well.

i had an xbox360 before my ps3 (bought it solely for gt5 and metal gear solid). Does anyone know if they are coming out with a 900* wheel compatible with the xbox 360 and will it have a functional clutch too? I'm soo pissed that the G25 (what i have now) doesn't work on the xbox 360. I would consider selling the G25 and getting the Fanatec wheel if it will be fully functional 900* with clutch for Forza 3 as well.

The Fanatec wheels for the 360 are fully functional 900* and have a clutch pedal that works with Forza3

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=f0ea7ddd228102122e05a5a076c5cde5

Last edited:
Congrats O.P.!!! Forza 2 is great. I did the opposite of you. I bought a PS3 for GT5P and F1 C.E. I'm a F1 and Le Mans Fan and I'm digging F1 CE. I also bought the Fanatec Turbo S wheel / Club Sport Pedals and PS3-PC-Xbox 360 dongle. My pedals are here already, they are kick ass and heavy.

Games I'll be racing with this stuff?
Forza 3
F1 2010
GT5
.....and not necessarily in that order:)

I really want to get the Fanatec as after playing GT5p and live for speed with the G25, i couldn't settle for the MS 180-200* wheel. My 2nd g25 is starting to go, especially drifting in gt5p, the force feed-back motors are loose in the housing so certain times i can feel an awkward jerking of the wheel. I'm still able to manage, i also have the original wheel that was making a clicking sound, but the FFB motors were secure. I'll wait for this G25 to die, and switch to that one, when that one fails i'll then move on to the Fanatec. Forza 3 looks great i can't wait to drift it, just wish i had a nice 900* wheel to start off with :indiff:. The controller will have to do for now.

Let me know what you think of Race Pro. I am having troubles getting into the career. That game had so much potential...but it's just pissing me off.

Its fun, even with the controller, but the game as a whole lacks polish. The graphics are poor, and the fact you have to unlock the cars in career mode before you can drive them is annoying to say the least.

I have put the game to bed until I get the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel, then I might be able to forgive the game's shortcomings.

Had much fun with the Ps3 and gt5p, and looking forward to GT5. But......

Today I went out and bought an Xbox 360 for forza 3!
I know, I know Gt5 will probably be king but I also wanted to enjoy "the Forza experience".

I just want to know how Forza feels and plays compared to Gt5p and GT5.
So now I will have the best of both worlds!

Anyone else planning on buying xbox+forza, when already owning a PS3?

BTW I have a huge problem now, because i own a G25(and love it!).
So maybe buy a cheap wheel for the Xbox. The Fanatec wheel is very expensive and i'm not willing to give up my G25 for a new wheel.
Playing with an controller is not an option for me. I have a nice home build racing rig, and I want the full experience! What would you do?

Don't feel bad, i'll probably be doing the exact opposite... Buying a PS3 for GT5.

Had much fun with the Ps3 and gt5p, and looking forward to GT5. But......

Today I went out and bought an Xbox 360 for forza 3!
I know, I know Gt5 will probably be king but I also wanted to enjoy "the Forza experience".

I just want to know how Forza feels and plays compared to Gt5p and GT5.
So now I will have the best of both worlds!

Anyone else planning on buying xbox+forza, when already owning a PS3?

BTW I have a huge problem now, because i own a G25(and love it!).
So maybe buy a cheap wheel for the Xbox. The Fanatec wheel is very expensive and i'm not willing to give up my G25 for a new wheel.
Playing with an controller is not an option for me. I have a nice home build racing rig, and I want the full experience! What would you do?

This is an alternative, so it might work. There is the XFPS controller adapter that you can use for the 360 using the G25. The advantage is that you can use keyboards and mouses to play FPS games on the 360, the disadvantage is that you have to assign the buttons, the triggers, the D-pad and the analog sticks from the 360 controller to the keyboards and mouses in order to make them work including the G25. It is a hassle, but if I were you, I would buy the Fanatec instead.

I would really want your opinions on Forza 2 + microsoft wireless racing wheel, especially compared to Gt5p + Logitech DFP,DFGT and G25

MS racing wheel is OK, but DFGT is much better and the price is around the same.

I don't like too much Logitech DriveFX for X360, playing with this wheel doesn't feel serious.

So not too much choices on X360, thank to MS

I bought my XBox Elite for Forza 3.

Got it for $398 including Halo OSDT which I sold back to EB games for $86 and am about to put COD WAW on ebay and expecting $30-40 so really my XBox only cost $270 which is a bargain for the top of the line system.

I intend to play Forza with the controller and leave GT5 fo the wheel experience seeing I already have the G25.

Also GTAIV Liberty City stories comes out end of this month so that was the sweetner in making me plunge into the XBox world!

Have bought a monthly Gold membertship so I could get the Forza demo and may extend it depending on the quality of online racing...

Just an FYI, you will be doing yourself a great disservice by playing FM3 with a controller. It pales in comparison to using a wheel. If you have the funds, bust out for the MS Wheel.

I bought an Elite for Forza 3 too, but now I've seen the demo in all its jagged glory :yuck: I'm not sure whether to take it all back now.

I've been under the illusion for years that the scaler in the 360 does a fantastic job, but now I realise there is something special about the 1920x1080 VGA input on my mates 40" HDTV.

Since his xenon died last week he now has the option of HDMI out for the first time and the outline of cars at a few hundred yards in front just look shocking. It's a backward step the from the Forza 2 we where used too.

For him he has the option of dropping back to VGA although its slightly less vivid. I don't have that option though my 23" LCD is pretty much the same VGA/HDMI.

Last edited:
Im willing to buy an Arcade with an used 20Gb Used HDD and Forza 3, im planning to buy it just for Forza and Maybe Gears of Wars...Maybe by First days of December Last days of November...

Well I 'jumped in' and the results are not so bad on my 23" 1920x1080 monitor via HDMI.

Smoothing just seems to be a feature of the 360 VGA output regardless of what its plugged into.

So I have a ps3 and a G25. I am almost about to buy a used 360 for Forza3 even though I wont be buying a wheel for it. Will someone tell me more about this 'jaggy' stuff mentioned above?? I must be misunderstanding.. F3 has 10x the polygons per car than F2 right?

p.s. if i would have started with the 360 and was thinking about getting a ps3 for GT5.. well i would totally *have* to do it! to me F3 is a really strong temptation where GT5 is a must. anyways..

Forza looks fine on my Bravia X series 52"

If you can't enjoy the game for slight graphics errors which I don't even see, then you're going to be waiting a long time for the perfect game.

Get it I recommend.

As an alternative, you could take up Call of Duty games, and wait for MW2 to come. I won't be getting a 360 though. EVER. Partially because of the fact that I have virtually no space, but mostly because I have a PS3. ;)

i thought the extra polys were for the interior and underside

The models in menu are nothing like the in race models, these menu models are much higher polycount, I assume with the menu models and the interiors is where the 10x comes from, adding interior wont increase poly count 10x (which is only a silhouette from external viewpoint in race and no back interior view while in car)

Underside is mostly just textured not a whole lot of modelling.

I too bought an Elite 360 purely for playing Forza 3
My son thinks it was for him to play Halo ODST but what he doesn't know is that from the 23rd (our Forza 3 release date) he won't be able to get near the 360

I don't care so much about what it looks like compared to GT5...it's the superior sound effects of the Forza games that appeal to me

Back