Yet another thread about learning how to drift on wheels (G25)

Brazil
Porto Alegre
LazyLiquid
Ok, mates. I got a Logitech G25. So i will be learning from the scratch everything about drifting in the game. It will be a nice to keep me busy while no update is comming.

I was thinking about do it or not at least 10 times, but well... the thing is that i need help. I know that there is an extended material here on GTP to dig into and learn, but im feeling drowned by so many information, specialy with diferent points of views and styles. So my basics doubts are:

- What is the standard wheel settings for drifting? (FFB, Simulation or Professional)
- E-brake is a must?
- Can someone point me any trustble setup for starters? Any car.
- So far i can hang a overster till the middle of ther corner, but then when i try to countersters the car snap back totaly. I just can´t find the right combination of degree of counterstering + right acceleration.

It´s just my first 24 hours on it and i know that it will be a long path, but what should i do to start?

For my settings, I use Simulation mode and 10 FFB (Swag)

E-Brake isn't a must but it's good to know what button it is :lol:

Any car from the settings library or a tune thread like BLTC

If you're getting snapback I suggest trying to work on your throttle input, big factor in drifting now.

Thumbs up for asking legitimate questions. 👍
Wheel settings, most people I play with including myself prefer FFB at 10 and steering on simulation as its going to give you the best " reading" of the car.

As far as ebrake, think of it like an aiding tool to help position/ correct the car. Don't use it as a crutch, a lot of people tend to try and rip the ebrake for a majority of entries. While this isn't necessarily the wrong way to do things, its not the most efficient or beginner friendly method of initiating a drift.

I highly recommend you watch the drift bible on YouTube as it covers almost every technique of drifting with good detail, most of wich is weight transfer or "feint" style.

Just like real life your not going to climb into a 500+ hp drifting machine and be the DK, approach it like you would in life. a cheap commonly available and used low horsepower platform that's main concerns addressed are suspension, differential/clutch and brakes.
There is no "reliable" tune, you need to tune to your style of driving but I have a tune ill share. The suspension rates are actual taken from Ksport slide control coilovers.

car is a 96' Nissan 180sx.
Ride height:79/82
Spring rate:9.3/8.7
Damper compression:6/6
Extension:7/6
Roll bars:4/5
Camber:2.8/0.8
Toe:-0.55/0.08
Brake balance:4/3
Stock transmission
Stage 2 clutch
Carbon driveshaft
Diff:15/32/18- this acts like a 1.5 way
Build the engine as you like, though I recommend running a low rpm turbo.
No weight reduction.

Give this a try, I use this all the time with good results though it is tuned for my preference so it might not suit you.

Thumbs up for asking legitimate questions. 👍
Wheel settings, most people I play with including myself prefer FFB at 10 and steering on simulation as its going to give you the best " reading" of the car.

As far as ebrake, think of it like an aiding tool to help position/ correct the car. Don't use it as a crutch, a lot of people tend to try and rip the ebrake for a majority of entries. While this isn't necessarily the wrong way to do things, its not the most efficient or beginner friendly method of initiating a drift.

I highly recommend you watch the drift bible on YouTube as it covers almost every technique of drifting with good detail, most of wich is weight transfer or "feint" style.

Just like real life your not going to climb into a 500+ hp drifting machine and be the DK, approach it like you would in life. a cheap commonly available and used low horsepower platform that's main concerns addressed are suspension, differential/clutch and brakes.
There is no "reliable" tune, you need to tune to your style of driving but I have a tune ill share. The suspension rates are actual taken from Ksport slide control coilovers.

car is a 96' Nissan 180sx.
Ride height:79/82
Spring rate:9.3/8.7
Damper compression:6/6
Extension:7/6
Roll bars:4/5
Camber:2.8/0.8
Toe:-0.55/0.08
Brake balance:4/3
Stock transmission
Stage 2 clutch
Carbon driveshaft
Diff:15/32/18- this acts like a 1.5 way
Build the engine as you like, though I recommend running a low rpm turbo.
No weight reduction.

Give this a try, I use this all the time with good results though it is tuned for my preference so it might not suit you.

Thanks man. Im going to try this settings into my Sil80. From here it looks much more tighter than i imagined a wheel user setting it. But if its working for you, maybe i can advance some few degrees using it. Besides ill start with very low HP imput.

It is a tight set up in comparison with some of my high power vehicles. I usually run this car with a stock engine and only a turbo upgrade, its about 256 hp at that point. So having a stiffer more responsive set up helps manipulate the cars weight. On my 500-1000 hp cars the set ups are actually rather lethargic and loose to help control the violence these cars are prone to exhibit. I have another set up for the 180 that's far less aggressive that I use in the 400+ range with the car. If you try what I posted earlier and it doesn't suit you and you'd like to try the other just let me know.

It is a tight set up in comparison with some of my high power vehicles. I usually run this car with a stock engine and only a turbo upgrade, its about 256 hp at that point. So having a stiffer more responsive set up helps manipulate the cars weight. On my 500-1000 hp cars the set ups are actually rather lethargic and loose to help control the violence these cars are prone to exhibit. I have another set up for the 180 that's far less aggressive that I use in the 400+ range with the car. If you try what I posted earlier and it doesn't suit you and you'd like to try the other just let me know.

Don´t worry. I wil not judge your tunning since im just even learning about how to hang the counterstering and modulate the throtle correctly. For sure that it will be a long road for me to learn the ropes, and im sure that sometimes ill be near to give up and go back to the "DS3 epic skill tier", you know?

Honestly i even shouldn´t make this thread asking for advice, i just did it by desperation.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheel-setups-for-beginners-by-fussyfez.304494/

Got a few setups for beginners there.

Most of your questions have been answered, but I use ffb 5 and no powersteering (also simulation but I don't think that affects my dfgt) I also never touch the handbrake except in emergencies, you shouldn't have to touch it when learning.

That sileighty tune in my link is a really easy drifter, I can't recommend it enough to a beginner.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheel-setups-for-beginners-by-fussyfez.304494/

Got a few setups for beginners there.

Most of your questions have been answered, but I use ffb 5 and no powersteering (also simulation but I don't think that affects my dfgt) I also never touch the handbrake except in emergencies, you shouldn't have to touch it when learning.

That sileighty tune in my link is a really easy drifter, I can't recommend it enough to a beginner.

I heard already about "powerstering" but im not familiar with that option. Maybe im lost in translation since my game is in portuguese. Where do i find that option?

I heard already about "powerstering" but im not familiar with that option. Maybe im lost in translation since my game is in portuguese. Where do i find that option?
It's in the same place so the FFB (force feedback) setting.

Under the 'start' button options menu(on the main front screen) , then steering characteristics (I think).

I don't know if it has been mentioned but make sure SRF (skid recovery force) ASM, TCS and active steering are off aswell.

Back