YLOD. awesome.

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheLoveNinja
  • 41 comments
  • 3,765 views
Messages
138
United Kingdom
Brands Hatch
Messages
TheLoveNinja
Well, it's been a long time coming. My old 60gb gave up last night, after a car trade. GT5 disc stuck inside. Will try the heatgun and silver compound fix as soon as I can beg/borrow/procure a heatgun. I can't afford a new PS3 neither.
2011 is so far turning out to be the year of the suck. :(
 
Have you been running endurance races for consecutive days? I'm curious because I just started the b spec 9 hour endurance and I'm a little worried. That's a bummer man I hope you backed up your data.
 
I haven't turned my ps3 (80gb fat) off since Christmas day..lol I have copied my game save but I'll do a back up tonight. Bob is currently doing 24hr le mans
.
Sorry for ur luck.
 
Sorry to hear man.

My 60gb fatty has been running suzuka 1000km / 4hr nurburgring for about a week now. (tonight I'll have 9hr Tsukuba unlocked and will switch over to that).

I do plan to do the thermal paste thing sometime in the next week just to be safe.
I also keep daily backups of my save just because.

I'm hoping it won't happen but if it does, it's to be expected (got my PS3 at release day).
 
You can bake it if you can't get a hold of a heat gun. That's what I did with mine and advised a friend on it and he did it too. Totally successful. We both have the same model as you.

200C for 10 min. Just make some "supports" out of tinfoil to raise it off your oven rack.
 
You can bake it if you can't get a hold of a heat gun. That's what I did with mine and advised a friend on it and he did it too. Totally successful. We both have the same model as you.

200C for 10 min. Just make some "supports" out of tinfoil to raise it off your oven rack.

:scared: That's mental!

I think I'm going to have to pull my finger out and figure out this backup malarkey...
 
Just wondering, can refurbished PS3s get YLoD too? I had YLoD on my original PS3 a few years ago, and I got a refurbished one from Sony. Can that get YLoD too, or would it be fixed to prevent it
 
I know the feeling. Mine original ps3 went out two days after getting gt3. I was so pissed! lol Funny enough I still had 3 days left of my extended warranty, which covered it completely. I couldn't wait that long for the warranty work so I had to buy a new one.
 
I'm the friend that instg8r helped. Mine was a refurbished 60gb from 08. Baked the mobo on 200 for 10mins. Been perfect since.

Worth a go surely.
 
Just wondering, can refurbished PS3s get YLoD too? I had YLoD on my original PS3 a few years ago, and I got a refurbished one from Sony. Can that get YLoD too, or would it be fixed to prevent it

Unfortunately even refurbs can get a YLOD because all they will have done is put in a new motherboard in (or given you a totally different console) which has all the same underlying manufacturing problems as the last one.

Best way to prevent YLOD is to apply better paste to the CPU and GPU chips but wait until your refurb warranty is over.

Robin.
 
The heat gun does that fix the cracked solder on the CPUpins or does it refloat the thermal paste? I'm in the middle of taking my ps3 80 faty apart
 
The heat gun does that fix the cracked solder on the CPUpins or does it refloat the thermal paste? I'm in the middle of taking my ps3 80 faty apart

Its mainly to reball the solder (fix the cracks) but it might also have the side effect of softening the paste so it makes better contact with the heatsinks. In any case the stock paste is pretty appalling.

Robin.
 
Mine was a release date model and GT5 killed it. My PS3 drive backup was not that recent and turned out to be corrupted, the PS3 could not be fixed (tried 2 different firms) so I had to start everything again! Every time I see a game in my list I want to play again, the pain of the loss hits me all over again ;(
 
The heat gun does that fix the cracked solder on the CPUpins or does it refloat the thermal paste? I'm in the middle of taking my ps3 80 faty apart

The Thermal paste should be wiped off before doing the Reflow technique. After reflowing (applying heat to the CPU and GPU for about 5min) then let board cool withoug moving for about 15min. Apply the new thermal paste prior to putting the heat sink assembly back on.
 
:scared: That's mental!

I think I'm going to have to pull my finger out and figure out this backup malarkey...


Sorry about your finger being stuck but it works :sly:

A heat gun is not going to give even heat and if you know anything about how BGA are actually soldered you would find that they are done in an "oven":sly:
 
My old 60GB PS3 died on me a couple months before I got GT5, and picked up a slim model as a replacement. I think it was fortune that decided to have my old one break down; the slim one has alot more memory, less power used, and less likely to get YLOD. At least save data can be backed up now so YLOD isnt something to totally fear when it comes to save data being lost
 
Sorry about your finger being stuck but it works :sly:

A heat gun is not going to give even heat and if you know anything about how BGA are actually soldered you would find that they are done in an "oven":sly:

The heat gun does work as you are only applying heat to the GPU and CPU chipsets as this is where the open is at in the solder. The heat generated by these chips causes the solder to crack over time. the solder is ROHS compliant so it is not lead based which is the root cause of the problem. It is true that they bake the boards and this is what Sony does in it's repair and also assembly of the motherboards. Unfortunatly this is a design flaw with the "Launch" machines and is eventually eminent and changing out the paste will most likely not help. Replacement of the paste is needed when the reflow is performed. I could have done the oven method, but I work in the semiconductor industry and sorry I am not putting a motherboard in the same oven that my food goes in! Unfortuanetly I have had the opportunity to revive my 60GB 13 times to date, and she is still running. However this last time I had enough and went out a purchased a new 320GB slim with the move.
 
I bought my PS3 in November of 2008. It's an 80gb large console. The air that comes out of the exhaust fan in the back is usually colder that the air tempurature inside my house...
 
Thanks for the support 👍 I already knew about the heatgun method as my brother's 40gb phatty died a few months ago (he still hasn't fixed it yet though). Have managed to find someone with a heatgun and I'm getting back the silver compound and isopropyl that I gave to my bro to fix his one with. Will attempt the operation later tonight or tomorrow. Will let you know if it worked.

Luckily I did backup my GT5 save about an hour before it croaked, but it's on a memory stick pro duo and I don't have a USB adaptor for it, so ultimately I need to get this one working long enough to put the latest save on a USB stick. Also, I just got a matt black X2010 a few minutes before the PS3 had it's heart attack.

The time leading up to the FAIL was mostly B-spec grinding, with only a couple of overnight endurances, in an attempt to beef up my Bob for the AMG SLS competition. That's the main kick in the balls, that my chances of winning that now are just a fart in the wind.
 
Damn that sucks.. is YLOD caused by overheating?

I leave my ps3 slim running on since GT5 was released, it is close to the window and i leave it open when i go to work, gets chilly in my room when i come back but at least im sure the ps3 will get proper cooling
 
Sorry about your finger being stuck but it works :sly:

A heat gun is not going to give even heat and if you know anything about how BGA are actually soldered you would find that they are done in an "oven":sly:

For some reason I had the image of the full PS3 assembly in the oven. I had assumed the heat was to break bonding somewhere (I've not looked at mine that closely, and it's a slim anyway). Basically, a dumb moment.

When people started mentioning solder, well, the penny dropped ;)

I'm still going to pull my finger out though :sly:
 
I have a 60GB PS3 and have been running Endurance races for over a week or so and I'm still doing all right. This YLOD stuff kinda has me nervous though.
 
I see everyone is talking about the fatties but does anyone know of Slims dying? i'm hammering mine with GT5 and the paranoia is starting to set in...
 
If you're leaving your ps3 on for more than a couple of hours,put it in a place where it's cold/colder.For example:do NOT put it up on anything high(hot air rises!)Or behind/next to something that lets out hot air for the console to suck in!(tv/laptop)Rather put it as low to the ground as possible.(cold air sinks to the ground)👍

I've had my ps3 since 2007,and to this day no problems whatsoever.

It's just like a turbo car in the summer!:tup:They run better at night when it's colder,So will your ps3.
 
I have a 60GB PS3 and have been running Endurance races for over a week or so and I'm still doing all right. This YLOD stuff kinda has me nervous though.

Back up you data just in case!
 
Yup, I just looked up how to do it. After I finish this 24 hr b-spec race I started, I will do that. Hopefully nothing happens during that time *knocks on wood*
 
So, those data back ups I'm doing when duping cars will suffice if I need to replace my PS3? I have an old console as well, and it was my understanding that gamesaves are linked to the harddrive/console?
 
I just hope newer machines would have better solders. The lead-free solders that we have right now (for Xbox 360, PS3 and MacBook) don't last that long.
 
I bought my PS3 in November of 2008. It's an 80gb large console. The air that comes out of the exhaust fan in the back is usually colder that the air tempurature inside my house...

lol
 
Back