YLOD. awesome.

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheLoveNinja
  • 41 comments
  • 3,765 views
It's rather nice to not have to worry about it getting too hot. Every once in a while I notice the exhaust air starts to get a little warm so I usually just turn it off. But before I do any edurance events in the game I'll be building a custom housing for the PS3 with a custom "cold air intake" and "long tube exhaust" to make 100% sure it's not going to die during any of the 24 hour events.
 
I have a 60GB Fat bought on september 2007, and it's still fine, but reading of all these YLOD makes me scared, I have to admit that! I was wondering if I can access with my PSN account on another PS3 and use the GT5 save data that I have backup'd in my PC on it, just in case my PS3 decides to die one of these days, anyone can tell me if it's possible?
 
It's rather nice to not have to worry about it getting too hot. Every once in a while I notice the exhaust air starts to get a little warm so I usually just turn it off. But before I do any edurance events in the game I'll be building a custom housing for the PS3 with a custom "cold air intake" and "long tube exhaust" to make 100% sure it's not going to die during any of the 24 hour events.

WIN! :dopey:

I'm worried about mine, considering how hard I used to hammer it on Folding at Home. :crazy:
 
I have a 60GB Fat bought on september 2007, and it's still fine, but reading of all these YLOD makes me scared, I have to admit that! I was wondering if I can access with my PSN account on another PS3 and use the GT5 save data that I have backup'd in my PC on it, just in case my PS3 decides to die one of these days, anyone can tell me if it's possible?
Yeah, you can use it on another PS3 as long as you will active your PSN account on that PS3. Account could be activated on 5 ( i think) consoles at the same time. But you can deactivate console from profile options... somewhere, don't remember where. =)
 
Yeah, you can use it on another PS3 as long as you will active your PSN account on that PS3. Account could be activated on 5 ( i think) consoles at the same time. But you can deactivate console from profile options... somewhere, don't remember where. =)

I didn't think you could just "transfer" the data from one ps3 to another (say with a usb drive), I thought that is what the copy protection on the save data is for...

I just bought a slim sometime in the past two weeks and I read where I was going to have to use the "data transfer" utility to transfer the data from my fat to my slim. Anyways, I did that, and so now I'm running my slim full time and the fat has been requisitioned to netflix duty in the bedroom.

Oh, and as far as the account activation/deactivation goes, it's Network -> Account Options.
 
my buddy hasn't turned his ps3 off since Late November when the game came out (sitting on 67,xxx miles in gt5 LOL). YLOD isn't an issue with running the system, my system YLOD after two online MW2 matches. Notot having good ventilation around the system and higher then room temperatures and dust stuck all over the system is the issue.
It sucks but I was able to have a dude locally fix mine for $60 and it took 60 mins of time, its not as big of a hardship as people make it out to be, buying 65 a pop games every month is no different then fixing a YLOD ps3 once every 3 years. When you think about it repairing a system is the least expensive thing you will probably buy for ps3.
 
I didn't think you could just "transfer" the data from one ps3 to another (say with a usb drive), I thought that is what the copy protection on the save data is for...

I just bought a slim sometime in the past two weeks and I read where I was going to have to use the "data transfer" utility to transfer the data from my fat to my slim. Anyways, I did that, and so now I'm running my slim full time and the fat has been requisitioned to netflix duty in the bedroom.

Oh, and as far as the account activation/deactivation goes, it's Network -> Account Options.

PD removed data protection for saves via 1.05 update. I guess your PS3 is not connected to the internet then, at least for a last month or so or you just didn't tried if after 1.05. =)
So don't forget to backup your save data if you will update to 1.05, just in case.
 
Last edited:
going on 2 months non stop use is why i can say it isn't a 'overuse' issue, when mine YLOD after literally 22 mins of use.
 
The cracked solder issue is caused by the hot/cold/hot/cold etc... cycle of the consoles normal use. Leaving it on constantly will actually help prevent this issue. What it does not help is the problem of overheating, as giving the console some chance to cool off every once and a while will be to its benefit. You basically have to pick which one you are more worried about and do your best to prevent that.

As everyone else always says, keep it in a dry cool place, clear of airflow obstructions, and if you are out of warranty replacing the thermal paste with some high quality compound is a big plus.

Good luck with getting your console back up and running.
 
PD removed data protection for saves via 1.05 update. I guess your PS3 is not connected to the internet then, at least for a last month or so or you just didn't tried if after 1.05. =)
So don't forget to backup your save data if you will update to 1.05, just in case.

Did they? Well I thought I remembered reading where they allowed you to be able to transfer it through the data transfer utility (assuming before you couldn't). Either way I'm up and running now, so it's a moot point for me. But yea I'm connected to the internet, just never really had to worry about backing up/restoring data.



Edit:

I think someone asked the question earlier if a refurb PS will be immune to YLOD. I had an old fat YLOD on me a couple years ago playing COD. I payed the money to get it fixed and they sent me a "new" one, at least it looked that way. My new fat's fan was very loud. The fan would literally go to high speed anytime heavy graphics came on the screen. But the thing that this new PS did that the old one didn't do was an error message popped up sometimes saying that it was getting too hot and to turn it off. If you ignored it, sometimes the PS would shutdown by itself. I don't remember if this was a new feature that Sony implemented in a firmware update while my PS was getting fixed (it was only gone for a week), but I know for a fact my old PS never did that.
 
Last edited:
Back